"Grave Danger" Discussion (Beware Spoilers)

Re: Post - "Grave Danger" Episode Discussion/Review ***Spoi

Hi! I'm brand-new here and rather late to the party but this is the episode that turned me from a casual viewer to a real fan of the show. Just wanted to share some thoughts with folks who seem to be as affected by it as I was. Just wanted to add my two cents on the topic of Nick's relationship with his dad. IMHP, I think the writers were doing their darndest to show that Nick and his dad have a close and probably very warm relationship and I'd be very surprised if it played out any other way. First, of course, there are the nicknames which both of them still use. Not just any nicknames but those of inseparable buddies. But you can hear more concrete proof in the way that Papa Stokes refers to Nick. It's a theme that goes all through the episode - the "possessive" as a term of, well, I guess endearment is the best word. Papa Stokes never refers to Nick by his name. He always refers to him as "my boy" or "my son". It's so much a part of him that Nick even hears it in his hallucination (when Papa Stokes asks Dr. Al "how'd my boy die?"). I've always felt that when someone used the possessive in that way they're referring to someone precious to them. (I'm lucky enough to say that's how it is in my family). Later you hear the same thing with Grissom. After several go-arounds with Walter, Grissom finally gets fed up and snarls "where's my guy?" It's such a clear indicator of affection that Walter calls Gil on it immediately. And then there's that heartbreaking "I want my guys back" from Gil at the end.

Well, pretty long first post. Thanks for listening!
Welcome Chorusgirl!

That's a very interesting point you made, I've never noticed it before, either. I wonder if the writers did it on purpose, if so, the amount of thought and layers of detail that went into this episode is just amazing.

Oh darn, now I want to watch the episode again, and my tape is already wearing out... Okay, maybe it was an old tape to begin with, but still. :D

Grave danger final airs in NZ this Sunday. Yay! I'm making EVERYONE I know watch it. Finally I get to discuss it with everyone here. Double yay. Although most of my friends know Nick lives because "otherwise you would have been moping around and whining for the last three months".

Darned straight! :D

In fact, if Nick had died, I wouldn't be here, because I wouldn't have watched another minute of CSI. (GD was my first ep.)

And I'd probably be locked up in a loony bin right now, too, because there's no way, after all the tension of the episode, that I wouldn't have had a nervous crackup if they hadn't rescued him in time.

I've just got 2 questions about GD:
1) Why did Nick call his dad sisko? Is that because his dad never calls him Nick?
2) When Catherine & Warrick discover the box with the dog in, how can Nick hear them digging? Or is it just the box cracking that he mistakes for the digging?

1) Nicknames they had for each other when Nick was younger and probably just carried on from there.
2) You answered you own question. :)

Darned straight! :D

In fact, if Nick had died, I wouldn't be here, because I wouldn't have watched another minute of CSI. (GD was my first ep.)

And I'd probably be locked up in a loony bin right now, too, because there's no way, after all the tension of the episode, that I wouldn't have had a nervous crackup if they hadn't rescued him in time.

I was looking all over the net days before for any stories of Nick being killed off in the finale, but there was nothing there, so I just assumed he was going to survive, didn't now, but he was..although when his heart looked like it was stopping because of the ant venom, I was thinking, oh those bloody bxxxxx killed him..'

But Nicky survived, probably a little bit screwey now for the whole ordeal :devil:, probably will need his 'woobie'-King Baby where Nick admitted he had a woobie when has was a kid..maybe he will be like Maggie from the Simpson and will be examining crime scenes, sucking on his woobie annoying everyone around him.

Nick, 'suck' 'suck' 'suck' takes photos

Grissom, get that thing out of your mouth, you're a grown man..
Nick pops it out and places it into Grissom's mouth.

I'm one of the people who originally thought he said "Okay." I've watched the scene repeatedly and still lean towards "Okay" rather than "Daddy", but I can totally see him saying "Daddy".

I think he says "Dad" not "Daddy". Okay and Daddy both end with an open mouthed Y-sound and that doesn't happen IMHO. With all that venom, the lack of oxygen I'm surprised he was as composed as he is. He was in the middle of a hallucinationa a moment ago - and even lifting the lid of the box could not have have given him enough air to have him snap out if the altered state just like that.

Think I have to go and watch the savingscenes once again. i still have trouble watching every scene - some of them still manage to rip my heart out. Ouch!

edited coz' o' friggen cats

I have another question about this episode. Outside of hallucinations, would Doc Robbins really have performed the autopsy on Nick, had he died? I would think that they would have brought someone else in, or had one of the other coroners, like the day shift coroner, who didn't know him so well, perform the autopsy.

I remember in "Inside the Box" when Robbins brought the bullet he removed from Detective Lockwood to Grissom personally because he felt like he owed it to him. He talked about how he usually doesn't know the victims and felt different this time because he actually had some contact with Lockwood. I just can't imagine that he would be expected to perform an autopsy on someone he knew so well, and someone I'm sure he considered to be a friend. Or would it be the opposite, that because he was fairly close to Nick, he would want to be the one to perform the autopsy and not have someone else do it?

No, you are not allowed toperform autopsies on family or co-workers. There's the risk of bias due to emotionality. Just like a psych or a doc can't date his/her patients. Doc Robbins would not have performed the autopsy, Nick would probably have been shipped off to another morgue alltogheter.

Gah, that hurt just to write!

No, you are not allowed toperform autopsies on family or co-workers. There's the risk of bias due to emotionality. Just like a psych or a doc can't date his/her patients. Doc Robbins would not have performed the autopsy, Nick would probably have been shipped off to another morgue alltogheter.

That makes sense and it's kind of what I figured. Hopefully this situation never actually comes up.

Hopefully they wouldn't have lost him like Ecklie did..

ewwwwww...

*mental image of dead Nick in a chair, wearing a party hat and "smoking" a cigar*

Ahh! :eek: That's just plain scary. I need my woobie now. :(

Or like in the first Shrek they place Nick on Grissom's desk.

Grissom; oh no..dead guy off the table..send him off to the morgue.

now we are getting so mean..

Back