Grade 'You Only Die Once'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by MrsGiovinazzo, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Mightion

Mightion Hit and Run

I gave the episode a B+, mainly because I learn I'm not a big fan of super-mysterious-background-threads like the 333 thing in NY this season and the "new conspiracy each week that lasts all season from then on" that was the last two seasons of Miami.

One other thing - that (oddly-preserved) blood on that shirt better not be Peyton's!!

As for Danny and Lindsay... maybe she was a little too lit up and excited (as opposed to dark and serious) this episode, but I honestly thought people here would say her acting tonight was a step in the right direction, but there's even more negative comments. I should check the Miami forum more often, and see if people say the same things about Natalia.

What do people want out of Lindsay/Anna, anyway? She's not allowed to be funny, she's not allowed to be serious, she's not allowed to be with Danny, she's not allowed in the lab, she's not allowed in the field if someone else "Should" be there...

Okay, that's enough on that note... I do wish they'd cleaned up that storyline with the compromising e-mail with Sinclair... I was hoping for a resolution to that so Sinclair and Mac could be on better terms... now there's another shadow of long-term consequences hanging over the season.

The car was cool, though... especially the memory primer. Although... if it repaired itself, how did the piece get stuck to the cab?

Another observation: The guy who built and sabotaged the car really planned his sabotage of the car's brake lines perfectly; making sure they wouldn't fail until the security barrier went up, and worked perfectly until that point. Without triggering a "brake" warning light on the dash. But I nitpick. :)

Anyway, B+, due to a veritable knot of loose ends.

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I thought of that too! :eek: I hope not! But I think because it seemed to be a guy's undershirt, we were supposed to ultimately dismiss that conclusion.

Honestly? Better acting. I'm trying to like the character, and I've said all along the light stuff is what they should give her because that's what Anna seems to be able to work with. But not in this episode apparently--she just fell flat. She was okay in the car scenes, though I don't know that she sold me on the idea that Lindsay is familiar with the Mach Five. But the constant patting herself on the back is grating, and doesn't endear the character to anyone. As someone said above, does she really deserve a medal for doing her job?

Those breaks sure did fail at a convenient time.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Personally, I'd like for the level of utter suckitude to go down.

It's all a matter of opinion, yadda yadda blah blah, but I think her acting in "You Only Die Once" was good enough to get her a part in the high school play, maybe.

Those of us who don't think she walks on water tend to like her more in light, funny scenes--and when those bomb, it's ugly.

[/my very own opinion]

ETA: Also, her little faux-gasm...thing made me cringe in that one scene. >.<

4. EllaJ

EllaJ CSI Level Two

I couldn't help but laugh at the, "Yes!!..I rock!!".. :rolleyes: That was just dumb. The only character who can pull off a line like that is Greg Sanders.

5. Mightion

Mightion Hit and Run

I dunno, maybe she was just happy to be done with setting various chemicals on fire; I can see how that'd get old.

I watch CSI (all three) to be entertained. Unless it really stands out to me as awful, I generally don't focus on the characters' individual acting talent; being no proper judge of it myself. Lindsay's scenes only added to my entertainment of the episodes she's been in; the only time they've ever detracted from it was when she was jerking Danny around in season 3. I'm a D/L shipper then, and a hopeless romantic, so I'm happy to see her and Danny working well together.

I guess that's my point, she's a part of the whole for my CSI:NY fix on Wednesday night, despite how the percentage may change from week to week.

6. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

A 'girlfriend' after two dates in two weeks? Really?

Mac not checking the case before opening it? Mr Cautious? C'mon...

Too many special effects, too much James Bond wannabe stuff - it may have been fun but it wasn't CSI:NY. I don't mind the plots not always adding up but this was just plain daft, a completely different league of silliness.

Agreed, Stella and Flack both looked fantastic but surely they should have been in another programme? It was left to Danny, Mac and Hawkes to remind us of what the show is really about. I know TPTB want to give us variety but I thought this was a step too far.

And as for Linsday. My God she was AWFUL. Her playfulness has now morphed into hyper-irritating over-confidence. If I see that smug, self-satisfied smirk one more time I swear I'll punch her. I was delighted to see that she was leaving work without Danny - at least they're not spending every moment together *yeugh*

So a B from me I'm afraid...

7. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I gave this episode a B- for Flack’s hotness if nothing else… :lol:

Firstly, where has Flack’s tattoo gone? He had it in ‘Charge of this Post’ but it has vanished. Very disappointing (continuity wise), I can see why TPTB would think it inappropriate for the homicide detective to have one, but if that’s the case then get rid of it all the time! :lol:

And yeah, Devon? Pink bra, black dress? Poor dressing my dear, but then with your lack of common sense and brains I guess it might be too much to expect you to be able to dress yourself…Flack didn’t seem thrilled by the invitation to the party and Stella seemed to be mocking his girlfriend? So Flack must realise how dumb she is and we can only conclude that a) he’s desperate to get laid, or b) He’s trying to make someone else jealous. :p Everyone seems surprised by the girlfriend news, it’s odd that no one seemed to know about her. Especially as he then spent the rest of the episode talking about ‘his girlfriend’ (she does have a name, don’t be afraid to use it – she does calls you ‘Don’ rather than ‘boyfriend’ though??).

LMAO at ‘Rodrigay’ the look on Flack’s face was fantastic.

OK, Mac’s new shirts. At least take the packaging off it first man! And Danny was loving it. ;) I’m surprised Danny recognises new clothes because he never seems to have any of his own, what was with that red tshirt? At least iron it Messer…

I always love a Danny and Flack scene, and the one in the corridor didn’t disappoint. Good of Danny to ask the questions we all wanted to know. Of course, they met at a charity event, that is all Devon does right? She lives for events and parties! :rolleyes:

I for one am bored of the 333 storyline already. But Mac finally ‘confides’ in Don about it, just to ask him (even though Mac’s not his boss and Flack did seem rather busy) to get a load of ridiculous information for him! I’m not sure why Mac didn’t just do it himself, after all he had managed to work out the type of plane and seating position of the suspect! :lol: Ah, science is sometimes quite ridiculous on this show…But at least Flack mentioned Peyton (hurrah for Peyton, at least Mac didn’t say they had split up or anything, I have hope that she will return). And Mac, when the 333 caller calls your phone, there is in fact an ‘ignore’ button. I suggest you use it.

In fact, science is completely ridiculous on this show, it’s just unbelievable. A car laser cutting off the guy’s scalp? How does Mac work these things out? A jacket downloading information? At least Hawkes was there to figure it out!

And Lindsay? Disappointing performance from Anna, although I do think that this time the writers really didn't help her out! It was frankly a little embarrassing :lol: I did quite like Danny and Lindsay looking excited about having a ‘date’ with the car. I think they both did look genuinely like they had been waiting for it all day.

Anyway, Flack was pretty awesome in this episode, and he did look very nice. So I’m fairly happy. But to echo the opinions of many others here? Make Adam a regular and then don’t use him? What is that all about? I need some serious Adam scenes in the next few episodes to make up for that! :)

8. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

A-

I really liked this episode. I realize that, again, it was all about 'the lifestyles of the rich & famous', and although that sometimes can be a bit annoying it really worked for this episode and its Bond theme.

I never suspected that nail-biting car salesman to be the (quote) Q-wannabe that invented the nano-suit and all those gadgets on that beautiful car (I could use one with that kind of self-repairing bodywork :D).

I liked how they managed to work the case and found a way to re-introduce Sinclair and let the animosity between him and Mac (and Flack) blaze up again. And I'm really starting to get quite curious about that 3:33 thing; like some others said, I also immediately thought that the shirt could be Peyton's. Especially since Mac first said to Flack that he doubted it had anything to do with her.

I thought that Lindsay was really funny in this ep. I liked how she consulted Mac about how to find out what makes blue flames and when she finally discovered that -the old school way- her little I-Rock-victory-dance was just how I imagined her to react. And her reaction when she found out she had the chance to take apart the Batmobile was adorable geeky.

And speaking of adorable geeks; the only regularity I've seen of Adam thus far is that he seems to be missing two ep's in a row now. Very strange.

9. ClarkF1

ClarkF1 Hit and Run

I would assume that all post would be screened.........it has been mentioned in CSI:LV. Why else would Grissom have opened a mysterious box that had been sitting on his desk for weeks without getting the bomb squad in. But at least we he wore gloves. Hope the blood isn't Peyton's.

I enjoyed this episode (well I'm a sucker for anything Bond-like). It would have been nice to see Adam with the car and showing off the memory metal (or whatever it was). Oh well......she's in the credits so they have to squeeze her in somewhere.

Credits are beginning to grow on me after the initial shock but I still don't really like the music plus the title doesn't come at the end like the other CSIs.

10. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I give the episode a B-.

Couldn't agree with you more, Fay, you've summed it up perfectly.

'Flack. Don Flack.' This line had me giggling like a school girl :lol: :lol:...Loved Flack trying to imitate James Bond. He's so cute and totally hot. Rrrrr. :lol: :devil: :lol: I agree that this episode totally belonged to Flack and Stella. They were amazing. However, every time Flack mentioned the word girlfriend, it's like my ears were trying to block off sound...Come on, I can't believe that TPTB would allow someone as professional as Don Flack to mention his girlfriend when he interviewed suspects. Flack could have referred to her as Ms. Devon Whatever-her-last-name-is to maintain that professionalism.

As for Devon, don't even get me started...Two weeks and he calls her his girlfriend. WTF? I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt but alas she comes across as superficial and shallow to me. It seems that her character's the type who'd be so happy if she makes it into Page Six. Can't stand her already. Grrr...

As for Lindsay, man, she totally sucked...She was trying too hard that it was getting to be grating and annoying.

As for the entire episode itself, it was just too fantastic to be believable...All that high tech James Bond stuff. Come on, this is CSI:NY, where's the grittiness and realism? I miss that.

11. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

was i the only one who thought the 3:33 guy on the phone sounded like drew.

12. privatename

privatename Rookie

I miss the grittiness and realism as well. I wouldn't mind an episode about glamorous folks and with high tech gadgets once in a while as a change of pace, but it seems like these last couple of seasons that is the focus of the show. As has been pointed out in the past on these boards, NYC has such a broad range of people and situations that only showing crimes involving the rich and famous seems ridiculous.

She is allowed to be any and all of those things or would be if she were able to do it well. She can't. I would love to have a character who could do all the things you mentioned -- if they could do it well and with some kind of likeability.

13. audrina

audrina Police Officer

Popcorn shrimp ... fried shrimp ... shrimp cocktail ... :lol: I so thought the same thing!

Anyway, this was 50/50 for me.

Pro: Flack in a tight wife-beater going all "secret agent man."
    Con: His vacuous girlfriend.

Pro: The whole first part of the case. I found it very inventive.
    Con: The ending. The geeky guy was kind of drippy and didn't fit with the rest for me.

Pro: Stella and Flack working together, going the party. Flack, Don Flack.
    Con: Deven the vapid at the party. (Loved Stella's "ick" look, though, when he heard her).

Pro: The whole 333 thing. I am intrigued now. Also liked continuity of Peytron mention and Mac confiding in Flack.
    Con: Mac questioning Hawekes.

Pro: Lindsay and her silliness - I liked it. Sorry. ;) Loved her banter w/ Danny.
    Con: No Adam. They could have split that stuff up.

Uneven for me. *shrugs* Can't help but wonder if we're seeing Lindsay more in the lab because Anna needs to stay in LA because of the baby and can't go to NY for those scenes? Just and idea ...

14. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

:confused: Was I the only one who noticed this?

When Lindsay was checking the chemicals for the colored flame, they first showed her checking three in a row. The second flame looked blue to me and yet we have Lindsay checking a third one and begging "please be blue" then when she does get it right(when she yells the cringe worthy "I ROCK!") the flame looks exactly like the one I saw in the mini-montage.

333 is probably Drew. The voice may have been warped but it sounded very familiar.

Looks like Flack's been borrowing Danny's wife beater shirt.

Loved Danny's line to Mac: "Mac, back in black!" and it was cute the way he teased Flack about Devon.

Whoo-whee! Stella looked HOT in that dress! Wish I could look that good. :)

I was yelling at the t.v. "The combo's 333, Mac!"

15. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

i'll take half-naked flack,danny, and hawkes over a lack of grittiness.