Grade 'Raising Shane'

I don't think Flack heard what the captain said to Danny and besides, Stella more than had the situation under control. Neither she nor Danny needed Flack's help and they all knew it and he kept his mouth shut but he gave Danny an all-knowing look when Danny walked out of the bar.

Danny knew Flack was there for him if he needed him. Although if Flack did hear what the captain said, I'm not so sure that he could keep his mouth shut. He's very protective when it comes to Danny.

All I can say is: Jesus on a turbo-charged feminine people-pleaser with optional heat and massage.

What was Flack supposed to do? Honestly? Get into a pissing match with his captain in front of fellow officers and land himself in hot water? According to him, he's already on shaky ground with his fellow cops after the Truby debacle that Mac handled oh-so-tactfully, and waving his wang at his captain over a petty, juvenile insult would do him no favors.

And what is Danny, a shrinking violet that needs defending? Danny isn't some helpless, hand-wringing victim. He's an adult and a cop who is fully capable of speaking on his own behalf. He's not crippled or mentally deficient. Why should Flack charge in to defend his besmirched honor, particularly since Danny wasn't exactly Friend of the Year insofar as we know after COTP?

You know why Flack said nothing? Because he knows how and when to pick his battles, and because he respects Danny enough not to insult him by wiping his ass for him when Danny didn't ask for it. By using his Please, Sir Card with the Captain to keep Mac out of the hooscow, he served Hawkes and the CSIs better than he would have had he mounted a useless charge at an imaginary windmill.

I'm done now...

La_Guera said:
By using his Please, Sir Card with the Captain to keep Mac out of the hooscow, he served Hawkes and the CSIs better than he would have had he mounted a useless charge at an imaginary windmill.

Amen to that.

The whole thing with Flack not rising to Danny's defence. The thing is, it was a petty, juvenile insult. Stella was handling it and so there really wasn't any reason for Flack to get involved.
I think the the real reason would have had more to do with the logistics of the show rather than anything else. You can't a whole bunch of people in one shot without confusing the issue and in an episode like this, they wanted each character to get some 'air time'. It's like everyone had to take turns you know? So Stella handles the Captain at the crime scene -her turf- and Flack handles him at the precint - Flack's turf.
I mean there are only so many people you can put in one shot. That's the same reason only Stella came to pick Hawkes up. That seems weird to me as well...after everyone running around town fully pumped up to exonerate Hawkes, we get Stella and only Stella picking him up at Rikers.
I think as someone commented previously the whole team showing up would have been a bit much. Doesn't mean they're not all his friends. Doesn't mean that they didn't walk through a lot of crap for him. It just means that having Stella, the more human of the two supervisors show up...made for a nicer, cleaner shot.
Sometimes it is so hard to remember that this is a tv show, especially when faced with fantastic episodes like this.

I have to agree, Flack is picking his battles, and this is one that he could see was already being handled quite nicely by Stella, thank you very much. He didn't feel a need to step in with that one, he saved it for sticking up for Mac, which was a more serious situation to defuse rather than an infantile, off the cuff comment by an angry Captain who was blowing off steam. And for Stella being the only one there for Hawkes, they showed that Mac, Danny & Flack were tied up with Shane Casey's (second) arrest, so I figured we were meant to assume that's why they weren't there. (I think the writers might have also been dangling it as a "tease" having just Stella there, but I've decided not to read too much into that, after all). ;)

:rolleyes: Wow, I didn't think it would be such a big deal to mention something that seemed off to me. But I believe I've been well and truly put in my place for asking 'why,' so we can all move on. I accept that it was probably a stupid thing to say, but it's been harped on enough now, I think. I get it.

Now that we're moving past the whole Flack thing, hopefully...

I wonder when Sheldon got off--after they got the gun and found the junkie's fingerprints on it, or perhaps before? I'm curious about how much it took to get Sheldon off. He was in jail on very serious charges...

They could probably get Shane Casey to confess to framing Sheldon, that should do the trick. Whether it's possible to get someone so wack as Shane Casey to agree to confessing is a whole different issue, but people have admitted to crimes they didn't commit. I think interrogation cops can be very persuasive.

Faylinn, I think it was a good observation on your part, and an excellent point to bring up. (re: Flack). And you were very right, on the surface it appeared as though Flack could have been dismissing the Captain's harsh treatment of Danny as possibly unimportant. But I think that after we've all had time to ruminate over it since the ep aired, some of us have come to the conclusion that it was simply Flack picking which war to wage. (And honestly, my own opinion on it was formed partly because I really don't want to believe that Flack would be that dismissive to someone he thinks of as a close friend, so there had to be an alternate reason behind it, for me. :) )

I didn't really mean for it to come across as being bitter, MBGrissom, but I think it did. I know what you mean, and I agree, because I've given it a lot of thought since making my original statement after watching the episode, from just thinking about it and also from reading what other people say, but I just felt like it had gotten blown way out of proportion...

They could probably get Shane Casey to confess to framing Sheldon, that should do the trick.
True, and the fact that he had the gun, and the motive, and the ring that 'belonged' to his brother was found with the junkie--it all adds up to be a strong case. But I'm wondering at which point they actually decided to let Sheldon go. Was it only after they had arrested Shane and tested the gun, etc (which might have been the next day for all we know), or as soon as they figured out that Shane was involved and framed Sheldon? The fact that the cops easily believed that Sheldon had done it makes me think they needed a lot of evidence before they'd let him go...

The one thing with the prints and the gun is; ballistics can match it to the bullet, but how good will the prints be after Shane's hands were all over it? Smudge much?

True, but remember what they said earlier in the episode (don't know who it was, Mac or Stella maybe?), about the prints on the casings inside the gun? So they wouldn't necessarily be looking just for the prints on the gun itself, but for the prints on the casings (since it was a revolver, right?). At the beginning, you could see that the junkie was the one who was loading the gun...

I'm so glad they got eddie back for another episode!!! Shame they caught him cus would have loved him in another episode! Really enjoyed the episode, I actaully watched ep 4 the 1st ep he was in earlier ;D

Sometimes I think that part of Mac's problem is that he's had a hard enough time with Claire's death as it is, but has things compounded by the fact that 9/11 still gets brought up a lot. I don't know that he reads the papers or watches TV too much since he's always working but I would think it'd be way harder for him and naturally the RL victims' families since it keeps getting revisited.

I know there's probably more to it with Mac but I can't help thinking that figures in partly. And I put this here because of his calling Peyton Claire in this ep and it's sorta related to the comments already made.

jazzfan said:
Mac, what are you doing? Peyton was good for you.

This is my very first post here so I hope what I say is okay. I have been looking for a place to read what other people have to say about this show. I don't know anyone who watches it. Anyway, I have also needed a place to vent about Peyton.

I don't think Peyton was that good for Mac. I don't mind the idea of Mac being in a relationship, but to me his interactions with Peyton were forced and awkward. I personally sensed no chemistry from them. I also think the actress is very odd looking and not attractive -- it almost looks to me like she has had too much plastic surgery or something. Although I doubt that is the case. Anyway, I understand different people view things differently, but I am glad to see the end of her. At least I hope the scenes in this episode mean it is over between them.

Re: Shane Casey and proving his wrong doing, I can almost see him full out confessing to the murders and setting Hawkes up, once confronted with the evidence of his brother's guilt. That was the sole driving force behind his murderous actions, and once that was taken away, he has no more "point" to prove to anyone. He knew they had him, anyway.

Back