Grade 'Raising Shane'

I forgot one thing: Wouldn't the gun Shane had be all smudged by the time they got it in for examination? His prints would be on it but I bet a defense lawywer would argue that it didn't mean Hawkes didn't hold it first. Plus it would match the bullet fired at the scene...

Which makes me wonder: Wouldn't Hawkes' hands have tested negative for GSR anyway, meaning he couldn't have fired the gun?

They said that Hawkes had been to the firing range earlier that day, didn't they? That would explain the GSR on his hand/arm/wherever it was.

As for the fingerprints, they mentioned at some point in the episode about getting fingerprints off of the casings inside the gun, since it was a revolver. So they weren't looking for prints on the gun itself, but on the casings. At the beginning, it showed the guy in the hoodie loading the bullets into the gun, so when they checked the prints they'd know that their dead junkie was the killer. ;)

Hope that clears things up. :D

Gah, I forgot that. I think cop shows like using that firing range story, this isn't the first time I've seen it done.

Yes thanks that clears it up *grin*

Yeah, how convenient that he'd gone to the firing range. :rolleyes: But then, even if there hadn't been any GSR, they would have said, 'he's a cop, he would know to wash up,' or something like that. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have thought that Hawkes would carry a gun (being a doctor--'first, do no harm' and all that), but I seem to remember them saying that he'd been to the firing range...maybe I mis-heard something?

Unless you just meant the fact that I called him a cop in my post up there. :lol: I'm not sure exactly what his job description is. :p

The CSI's in NY seem to hold the rank of Detective. They'd probably have to be certified in firearms and carry weapons. IIRC, in CSI LV, when Greg was first out in the field he said something about it being his choice whether or not he wanted to carry a weapon.

In "Stuck on You," we saw both Mac and Lindsay at the firing range with the bow. The CSIs also do the test firing of the weapons in the NY labs, so any of those would have been ways for him to get GSR on his sleeves. But they did specifically mention that Hawkes had been to the firing range, probably just as a plot convenience or something.

I believe Hawkes had been test firing murder weapons before his shift ended, and that's how they figured the GSR got on his shirt. How Shane would have known that is beyond me...but in the grand scheme of CSI coincidences, that's a pretty forgivable one. ;)

It's probably not that big a coincidence. Shane probably figured that since CSI's investigate a lot of gun related crimes, that the odds of Hawkes having GSR on him would be pretty good.

Or maybe he was smart enough to keep tabs on the CSI's and knew that Hawkes had been on a gun related case that day.

^Yeah, definitely possible on both accounts. It's probably safe to assume that on any given day, the chance of a CSI having GSR residue on him/her is probably pretty good.

Back