Grade 'Open and Shut'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

I gave it a b- I didn't really like it that much. The cases were good, just the way stella acted. It was understandable, I just didn't like it. When she lashed out at Lindsay, it seemed a bit unprofessional. I love Stella, just that part ruined the whole eppy for me.

2. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

The cases on CSI:NY last night were unspectacular and predictable. I called the A case before the first commercial break, and no one in the B case was sympathetic enough for me to care. There was, however, some spectacular character development for Stella, and kudos to the writers for once for steering away from the cliche. It would have been all too easy for the case to truly be a case of Abused Woman Trapped in an Unwinnable Situation and let Stella have a moment of sappy bonding. The fact that the supposed victim engineered this little plot after reading the details on Stella's case in the paper was a nasty little twist, and though Stella handled that realization with feisty panache in the interrogation room, the revelation and subsequent accusations of hypocrisy clearly stung, as evinced by the closing shot.

I also liked the argument between Stella and Lindsay, and not, as so many others have said, because it was Lindsay being ravaged. I thought Lindsay handled herself admirably in that instance by walking away rather than escalating the drama. Yes, she was huffy and nettled when she left, but I don't know anyone who wouldn't be after being ambushed like that. Stella was way, way out of line, especially since Lindsay was doing exactly what Stella and Mac had taught her and examining the evidence from all sides. It would have been nice to see an apology, but its absence was not entirely surprising, given Stella's periodic lapses into irritating sanctimony.

Mac's decision to approach her as a friend rather than a supervisor at that point was a nice touch of realism. In a perfect world, he would have stepped in as a supervisor and told her that such outbursts were ill-advised and unprofessional, but Stella has never taken well to authoritarian "Because I Said Sos" from Mac, and he was smart enough to know that another approach was needed.

That's not to say that it was perfect. Some of the dialogue between Stella and Grace was hideous, especially the agonizingly lame, "Your home is the one place you're supposed to be safe" from Grace. Yeah, thanks, writers. Without that line, I would have been utterly unable to grasp the paralells between this case and Stella's. An anvil like that could cause fatal head trauma.

The B case was a joke, redeemed only by copious amounts of Flack sex appeal and snark. I know New York is a trendy city, but I don't give a toot about the machinations of the rich and stupid.

3. john11

john11 Civilian

What ever happened to scagnetti?

4. fly_casual

fly_casual Witness

I would rather watch a show with sometimes spectacular and sometimes 'normal' cases. I love some of the really freaky ones out there, but it would seem boring to me if they were all like that. But that's just me...
    I thought this episode was okay. Liked both the hilarious, and Adam is officially my favorite lab rat. Stella was perfect, and Flack was Flack. :D
    I have some mixed feelings about Stella and Lindsay. Stell was wrong to completely freak out, but I think Lindsay could have been more sympathetic. More and more I agree with the statement that Lindsay only cares about Lindsay. Gold star stickers to whoever said that (sorry, I forgot :eek:).
    I need some help from you guys... I though I heard when Danny and Hawkes were putting the hotel concierge's body in the van they made some comment about how gross the body was. If they really did say what I thought they said, it was very uncool. Did I just hear this wrong, or did I just blow it out of proportion? :confused:

5. CSI808

CSI808 Rookie

That, and watchout for escalator rails too.

6. kkennedytx

kkennedytx Rookie

I gave it a B-. It was okay but nothing special. Was nice that Stella got some continuity--at least the writers know to do it for some of the characters. Although there was lots of Flack, there's nothing new to say about him--he's still cute, still snarky, still capable and tenacious, still wearing ugly ties.

7. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Rated it an A.

I love Stella episodes. She clearly is a great actress and when she is given a time to show it, I adore it. :D

And I love Syd autopsy scenes! Am I the only one who finds his processing scenes the most intriguing out of any of the CSI shows?

8. CSI808

CSI808 Rookie

When you put it this way, it makes me think of Lindsay as Grissom. :lol: Nobody get me wrong... I love Lindsay, but I couldn't help to laugh at myself when that was the first thing I thought of when you posted this.

9. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

One word: weak.

Weak characters, weak writing, weak cases. I'm starting to think they don't even care about what cases they're writing, as long as one of the crew will get emotionally involved.

10. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

Nope. I really like those scenes too, for some unknown reason. They're just so captivating.

11. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

You nailed my thoughts exactly on this case. You rock, my neighbor in the gutter! :D

12. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I agree with jorja_fan86, too. This ep had some excellent continuity and character development for Stella, and that (for me) made up for anything that the cases themselves might have been lacking. And it was nice (and realistic) to see that even though Stella is an old pro and has been a CSI for many years, she's still learning and evolving, discovering her weaknesses and finding ways to overcome them. Good for her! I think Open and Shut was an intriguing look into Stella's ultimate integrity and strength of character, and of course an excellent showcase for Melina's talents as an actress.

ETA: I also agree with vegaslights, I do love watching Sid in his element, processing the victims. And of course now that we know he has a young daughter, we can see him visibly blanch when another young girl ends up in his morgue. It's nice that they fleshed out Sid a bit, and gave him that sentimental side along with the oddball humor.

13. fly_casual

fly_casual Witness

Just a quick question... did Flack call the model 'kid' or 'kitten'? Because either way it's hilarious, but I watched the episode three times and I still can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy! :mad:

14. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

I couldn't quite tell either. I'd swear up and down that he called her "kitten" but other people I was talking to said "kid". "Kitten" was inspired, if that's what he said.

15. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

:lol: He called her kid. Seeing his snarky side made me laugh & the faces he made while he was talking to the model by the pool side was priceless. This guy is the humour of the show.

Oh, and did anybody else recongize the actress who played Grace from her brief guest apperance on Seinfeld? She played Victoria, George's girlfriend on the final episode of season five entitled The Opposite. This wasn't the second time they used a Seinfeld character though. I still remember when Newman was in last season's episode Fare Game.