Grade 'Open and Shut'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 25, 2006.

1. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Very well said, JF!

2. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Thank God.

The thing was Stella was kinda stupid.

Stella: This is just like what happened to me. That woman is a victim. I was a victim! I can't handle this case, I get emotionally involved, I'm suffering from PTSD symptoms, I'm snapping at my co-workers and I'm leading the investigation!
    Mac: Oh, well then, clearly you should take this case. You okay there? You look kinda upset. You need a punching bag? Oh, nevermind, here's Lindsay.

WTF? Mac always lets Stella get away with everything, and it's pretty irresponsible. I kinda wish there was a Stetler on this show (not that the original Stetler does his job, anyway).

I still wanted Stella to bitchslap Grace and call her a skank face, though.

3. MacsGirlMel

who's Stetler? Sorry for posting so many times so soon.

4. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

^^ :lol: That makes three of us who wanted to see Stella bitch slap Grace. Like I stated earlier Grace is a stright up b!tch who needed to say hello the the palm of Stella's right hand.

5. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

He's an internal affairs bureau agent on CSI: Miami. His job is to make sure there's nothing shifty going on inside the lab, like CSIs investigating personal cases. He mostly appears when the Miami CSIs get into trouble (shooting someone, doing drugs, doing the sexings on the side of buildings) to investigate.

6. MacsGirlMel

Isn't that Hilbourne's job here?

7. Khanada

Khanada CSI Level Two

I'm glad someone else caught that. For those who are clueless, the "Potted Plant" came from one of the early campaigns to get Danny in the shower. That's a wave to us if I ever heard one!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

The twist with the wife was well done. I liked that Stella was able to remain objective and solve the case based on evidence and not her personal experience. Even though I thought it was unfair of her to go off on Lindsay, I think Lindsay handled it the best way she could by just walking away and not getting into a fight with Stella.

The model case was well done. I didn't catch that it was the other assistant till the end. The model was a bitch; I thought she did it.

This episode was a Flack-fest. I loved that! I'll be looking forward to the screencaps because there were lots of great closeups of Flack. He's my fave. I was surprised at how little Danny there was though.

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Dude, if that was a shout-out, it was the Best. Shout out. EVER! Thank you! :D :D :D

The Potted Plant joked started in the first Locker Room thread (the LR threads are the Danny threads), when someone said every man, woman and potted plant wants to see Danny naked. The Potted Plant became a mascot after that. :lol:

Anyway, the episode. I gave it an A-. I liked it more than I thought I would, especially given that I think "All Access" was the nadir of CSI: NY and possibly any CSI show ever.

I knew Tess was the killer as soon as Flack sent her packing, and when the blood spatter didn't match up, I figured Grace was lying. The cases weren't that earthshattering, but the character work was so good it made up for it.

Melina rocked tonight--I loved how she conveyed what Stella was going through without making her whiny and wishy-washy like some other characters we know. ;) Speaking of that character, it was gratifying to see Stella yell at Lindsay even if Lindsay was correct. She's just such a self-righteous little snot that it felt good to see Stella lay into her. I think it was significant that we never saw Stella apologize.

I liked how Mac handled things in this episode--he wasn't on the Thomason case, so advising Stella but not telling her how to handle the case was the right way to go. He and Stella have worked together a long time; she's earned his respect and a little leeway. She went with the evidence in the end, and closed the case by finding the crucial piece of evidence--the t-shirt.

Was it just me or was that scene with Sid cleaning Sarah's body waaaay too long? Seriously, do they ever take that much time when it's a male victim on the table? :rolleyes:

Lots of Flack! :D Even if he was in scenes where I would have expected a CSI, it was nice to see Flack. And he was snarky. I love me some snarky Flack.

Danny's still on Prozac, but I'm saving that for another thread.

10. CSI_Chic

CSI_Chic Police Officer

Me four :) [​IMG]

11. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

I hated this episode. I was bored stiff the entire time and could not focus on it to save my life. There were a few times where I giggled a little mainly due to Adam, but for the most part, it sucked.

:lol: I caught the potted plant thing too. It took a second to sink in, then I was like, "Oh god." :lol:

12. shaofu

shaofu Hit and Run

I agree with the comment, Top, but I gave it a solid A. The cases were okay, although I figured them out fairly quickly, but this episode was all about Stella and I tip my hat to the writers for decent continuity and not just a passing mention of previous events. Melina did a wonderful job in this episode. I think perhaps Mac let Stella take the case to allow her some closure, even if he felt the need to direct her to follow the evidence and not let emotion rule her head. In this case, he was quite right to do so after all, and Stella discovers she's been played. The way she handles that is superbly done - the fact that poeple are commenting about how they would react by slapping Grace's face just proves how well Melina and Dedee Pfeiffer acted this scene. Stella probably wanted to slap her but had enough self-control not to.

13. CSI808

CSI808 Rookie

I kinda liked this episode. But as Top said... nothing special about the cases itself... but the characters were great.

One great thing I liked was Stella actually admitting she can't help but feel emotionally involved. And I think that's why Mac let Stella stay on the case. She wasn't in denial at all, and I liked that in her character.

I thought Stella was gonna apologize to Lindsay. But all in all, I thought that one scene was excellent.

DEFINITELY not enough Danny. I was really hoping that he would interrogate the model and she would cop an attitude with him. Then he would get a bit back to his normal self and cop and attitude right back, no matter what her celebrity status is.

14. Nim

Nim Pathologist

Rated B+

Nice cases, but like you, I couldn't get into them... :(

Not enough Danny for me :lol: , but a lot of all the other characters (Flack above all :) ).

Oh, finally a scene with Stella and Lindsay, where the two have a serious discussion. The winner is always Rambo Stella, no doubt... the face of Mac when he enters the office? Like "yeah...Rambo Stella is in the air" :D
    Melina is great, the look Stella gives to the woman...wow, still shivering.

Hawkes is lovely when he plays the corpse :lol:
    And Adam is back, and he's soooo funny!!! :lol: :lol:
    Sid and the corpse of the young woman... mmm, I'm still thinking there's something about young girls and his daughter... :confused:

15. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

Loved the ep but had a feeling Stella was gonna be let down badly & she was. Here she was defending this woman & even giving Lindsay a hard time about it. Then it came back to bite her in the butt. I think she should've apologized to Lindsay but..................that's between them two. Mac looked good as always.So I give it an A. Characters were great. Next weeks ep looks really good also.