Grade 'Open and Shut'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

After you watch tonight's episode, let us know what you thought of it! :cool:

2. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

Only about an hour left till I can watch the episode. I'm really excited 'cause it seems that it's gonna focus on Stella & Stella is my all time favourite character. Hopefully they won't change her character around like they did with Danny this season.

3. celsie

celsie Victim

ATV finished airring it here about an hour ago, but of course i wasn't around and had to tape it. just finished watching, and i liked it. i'm new the whole CSI:NY thing (just caught on about halfway through last season), but with what i know about the show, and with what i'm learning as i go, i really enjoyed it. i loved stella's case, and her involvement in it, but i found the case involving the models a little lacklustre (although, i really liked the final scene with the admittance of guilt. it was simple and still, and had much more of an effect on me then the case as a whole).

i'm sure everyone else who knows far more about the show then me will have far more intelligent things to say... but this newbie quite enjoyed it!

4. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Meeeeeeeeeeeh.

5. vexus

vexus Pathologist

Am i the only one who couldn't get into the episode at all?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Well....it was ok. I knew who killed the 2 men before it all came to a head. I felt that Stella needed to come back and apologize to Lindsay after Linds was just looking at all the evidence and talking the case out. BTW, I realize that you guys don't want to discuss this, but you CAN NOT tell me she isn't pregnant. I could tell, it was very obvious. However, I will respect her privacy and not say anymore about it, except "Yea"! :) Anyhow, I did like Flack's first tie. However, the last tie lacked alot to be desired. However, he and Danny were looking terrific as usual. I love Danny in that burgandy shirt. :eek: Lushous. I will discuss more later. I don't want to give too much away.

7. darx2mint4

darx2mint4 CSI Level One

I couldn't get into it. I thought it was nothing special, but I'm glad for Stella's continuity.

8. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

I too couldn't get into this episode, at all. It was obvious who killed the two men, and the other crime was blah, at best. Really lame, to tell you the truth. :lol:

I did enjoy the Stella/Lindsay exchange when Lindsay was using what Stella had taught her and Stella was getting too personal, and shooting Lindsay down. She was way harsh with Lindsay, but, she was using her emotions and getting personal which is too bad, but probably all too common. I did like how Lindsay wasn't backing down to Stella, and that she left when she did. I was also pleased to see that Stella actually looked at the evidence and in the end didn't let her emotions color her judgement, like they had earlier on.

I have also decided that Flack runs like a girl. or he appeared to be running really slow, it seemed. I attributed it to the jackhammer and Danny :devil: from the night before.

Danny and 'behind the potted plant'. We always knew that the writers were reading our site, and The Locker Room ;)
    So the question remains, where is our shower scene with Danny? :confused: Haven't we been patient enough?

9. SimplyBlue

SimplyBlue Police Officer

Ok, random question. I've heard a lot about this 'potted plant,' but I have the faintest clue on what it is. :confused:

10. goldnhart

goldnhart Rookie

I liked tonight's eppy. It didn't matter that we knew who killed the husband — the story was about Stella's reaction to the case. The second case was not as compelling, but I didn't have the killer figured out on that one. I like how they tied the two cases together.

11. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Wow, a major visit from the "Continuity Fairies" in tonight's episode, as Stella revisit's her horrible experience last season with Frankie. This case brought it all flooding back to her, and for (what appeared to be) good reason. It was all there - helpless, shell shocked shaken wife, murdered husband at the hands of the "psycho" that she killed in "self defense". I actually found the distraught wife and her story pretty convincing in the beginning, and Stella obviously did, too - nearly endangering her outlook and objectivity on the case. Nice example of that, when she and Lindsay spatted over the details. Lindsay was trying to find a polite way to let Stella know her objectivity was slipping due to her own horrible experience, but Stella wasn't listening - at least in the beginning. As she, Hawkes and Lindsay started putting the pieces together, particularly with the blood spatter and blood drops (really enjoyed watching them do that scene as they attempted to duplicate it all), you could see the gears turning in Stella's head as she realized, nearly too late, that she put her faith and trust in the wrong person, simply because of her own feelings. And my heart broke for her as they proved that the wife was the cold blooded killer of both men after all, and that she had been duped in the worst way. Loved her final scene with the wife, when she pointed out the difference between her killing of her ex boyfriend, and the wife's murder of the two men. Also enjoyed Mac's brief interaction with the wife in the beginning, when they all thought she was still innocent, and clinging in tears to her "poor dead husband" as he told her firmly but tenderly, "Let go...let go." Also gave a big Thumbs Up to his conversation with Stella about their first case together, as he also tried to make her realize, in his own supportive but subtle way, how important it is to step back and let the evidence guide you, not your emotions.

I rather enjoyed the "A" case too, with the nasty supermodel, and her beleaguered minions. The opening scene they repeated several times is anyone's worst nightmare... feeling your hand slipping from someone's grasp right before you plummet to your death below. *shudder* - I'm terrified of heights Loved Adam's awestruck response when he realized Mac was bringing him in on the supermodel's case, "Mandy Foster - I love Mandy Foster!" Little did he know he was relegated mainly to "hand railing detail" :lol: Had a good laugh after he was done with it, and had all the various goo and icky stuff all marked for Mac to see. (I think Mac adores Adam, but he secretly enjoyed putting him on hand rail detail - and loved seeing Adam dangling over it when they re-enacted the vic's fall :D). Loved Flack's quip when they led the supermodel away to jail: "Look at it this way, kitten. It's free publicity...".

Finally, I loved watching Sid process the victim who fell over the balcony. He was so gentle, sad and thoughtful as he processed her, and you could see when he was finished, how much it bothers him to see such a young person end up on his slab. Loved that he left the Cartier "lover's bracelet" on her wrist, because he hated the thought of destroying something that was so sentimental to the victim. Sid is really emerging as an exquisitely nuanced character.

12. glam_chic86

The B case was boring & obvious from the start. The A case was a bit better & my mother figured out the outcome probably about halfway. That actress who played Grace did an excellent job at playing a cold hearted bitch at the end. I wanted to reach into my tv & smack her Rick James style. Stella's reaction towards Lindsay in that room was a bit unexpected but I guess she was really frustrated. The way she dealt with Grace at the end was great & I'm glad that she wasn't changed too much. I think this has been Melina's best performance since All Access but I'm kinda dissapointed on the way the writers carried on with that story. I was expecting something with more depth & detail, not something that seemed too rush.

There were a couple of funny moments in the episode. First with the shout out to the locker room by the potted plant comment & when Flack said, "Kid, think of it as free publicity" or whatever that line was. I love snarky Flack. Anyway, I gave this episode an A-. Oh, & is it just me or is the show really going up on the gruesome factor? I felt my stomach turn when Sid removed the knife or whatever in the beginning. Gross!

13. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Anyone know when it's on Innertube? I missed a few minutes:(

I am either very not good at picking up on things or something...you guys all seem to peg things way before the end, and I often don't get them until the rundown recap right before they nab the person :(

I *am* glad that Stella's case didn't turn out to be her redux, that it had a twist. Am I the only one who wanted her to slap that chick at the end? Although that *would* have gotten Hilbourne on her back again.

I'll say B.

14. glam_chic86

I posted this over in the Stella/Melina thread & since it relates to this episode I figure I'll post it here. Who knows, maybe it'll spark some interesting debate on the dissection of Stella's character tonight ;):

If I was in Stella's position I would've slapped Grace right across that smug face of hers. However, Stella showed class & dignity when she replied, "Mine was in self defense. I'm a victim. You're a cold blooded killer." When she said that she made Grace look like the fool. Stella is good at knowing when to use her head & when to use her heart & during that moment she used her head. I mean, Stella finally found someone who she could connect to, someone who apparently experienced a total life or death situation. Stella, who is usually level headed, let her emotions rule the case. She was lead to believe that Grace was done wrong & she stuck with that, even when Lindsay seemed to point out the opposite. Seeing Stella snap on Lindsay, her own teammate, was so unexpected. Stella turned on her own co-worker to fall into a trap lead by a twisted lady. She also proved her loyalty to Grace when she talked about how they seem to focus more on the death then the actual to victims to Mac in the computer lab. However, when she came across that key piece of evidence that pointed to Grace as the killer the return of real Stella came back. The compassionate she once shared for a woman that basically betrayed her faded away. She was determined to put Grace behind bars & it showed when she keenly looked for the white shirt covered in blood. To me it seemed like Stella who was slapped in the face when she learnt that Grace lied to her the entire time. Because of that she’ll probably have a harder time trusting suspects before this incident. When you looked into Stella’s eyes as she walked out of the interrogation room you could see her anguish, her pain. It didn’t help that the memories of her abusive boyfriend came flooding back. Basically, it was a cruel joke & Stella was basically a defenseless puppet in the scheme of Grace’s ploy. Grace took advantage of Stella & that probably was her intention as well. Stella, or anybody for that matter did not deserve that. However, that happens when you let your guard down to a supposed victim. I think Stella learnt that it’s best not to get emotionally invested in a case as your judgment can turn out to be totally wrong. This episode shows us that Stella is human who makes mistakes like all of us. She's a real person with real feelings. She lets fantasy take charge of reality & that's normal.

Even if I wasn’t a Stella fan I still think Melina deserves an Emmy based purely on her work in this episode, if not for the other ones she did in the past. Melina is just awesome beyond words.

Any thoughts?

15. CSI_Chic

CSI_Chic Police Officer

I thought Mac was going to give a talking to Stella for sorta blowing up at lindsey.. I thought after Stella told him that she can't help but be emotionaly involed he was going to tell her she was off the case. We've seen it a few times with other CSI's. I'm going to have to rewatch it before i give it a grade. I missed a few parts..

Personally there wasn't enough Danny.. :lol: