Grade 'Oedipus Hex'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 19, 2006.

1. kasmith101

kasmith101 Rookie

I totally agree with both of these points! I thought Danny was the highlight of this episode. He made me laugh in so many scenes, but was very compassionate with the mother.

Although whenever he was around Lindsey, it seemed like he was tip-toeing around her. He wasn't nearly himself. Except for the dummy bloodspatter scene :lol:

And I totally forgot to mention Adam dating a SG in my last post!! Luv it! I would have loved for Danny to have a different reaction/ dialogue than he did with Adam about it. They definitely should've expanded on that more.

After sleeping on it a bit, I have to say that the wrap up of the B case made it more enticing than it was. The whole time they were solving it I was a little bored, but then they did the whole sad gospel-esque music montage at the end and I was totally suckered into thinking it was a good case. :rolleyes: Looking back, it was pretty ridiculous and boring.

2. Islandgirl

Islandgirl Police Officer

I liked it. Not so much for the cases as for the Mac/Stella and Danny/Lindsey interaction.
    I really enjoyed the part where Stella was reading the prayer aloud and Mac came up behind her and said, "I like you, too, Stella." Very sweet! And there was no Peyton in this ep to come between them.
    And Danny offering to talk to the victim's mother, but only after Lindsey explained why she couldn't do it was good, too.

3. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

Exactly my thoughts, kasmith! Danny did tip-toe around her a bit. I've never really liked the way the relationship between these two has been handled on-screen. Fans do a much better job writing it, I think, then the writers do.

I think they could have put Adam in another scene, maybe describing what the SG girls were about or even getting into contact with one of them to help out the case, as he seems to be the go-to guy for contacts. I was sad that he didn't get anymore dialogue than that, and I miss stuff like back in "Wasted," when he was standing up to Danny. Much funnier.

Anyway, I totally agree with you about the B Case, too! :lol: The end got me a bit, as well!

4. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

I gave it an A.
    I thought it was pretty good. The suicide girls were a bit out there, but that's what made the eppy. I'm glad they hinted a bit on Lindsay's secret, and it seems it's going to be mother-daughter oriented. The end scene- Priceless. Danny was like Damnnnn... :lol: The note part between Stella and Mac, I liked a lot, it made me smile. The shoes part with Danny and Lindsay was pretty cool, if you like them anyway.. :rolleyes:

Over all not too bad, I did want to see what happen to the lady who killed Chopper though...

5. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

At the end of the episode, Danny & Flack handed him off to uniformed officers, outside [what Im assuming] was a Police Precinct. So, he escaped from there somehow, not Danny & Flack's car.

6. SimplyBlue

SimplyBlue Police Officer

I thought Danny handled the situation as well as he could. I’m not sure what else he could have done (maybe a little facial expression as a response), but I would have frowned upon him lashing out at the mother. He does show compassion and patience when it comes to victims’ parents, but he also has a tedious habit of just taking various forms of negative behavior (whether it be Louie shoving him, Lindsay standing him up, the mother slapping him, etc). From what I remember of the scene, I found it odd that there was no response from Danny when the mother hit him; he only maintained a stoic expression. I’m use to him reacting to everything in his environment. Usually you’d expect something – I mean I know I would at least twitch if someone unexpectedly slapped me.

But I guess one could consider his little snippy retort being when he shoved the file towards the mother.

Though overall Danny seemed rather flat this episode with little flairs here and there. I thought his eagerness to smack the crap out of the dummy’s head was amusing and I remember thinking, “Whoa there buddy, wait until Lindsay gets out of the way. I doubt clubbing her in the face would get her to date you any time soon.”

I only hope that the writers find a consistency with his character this season. Out of all the characters, they spent a lot of time developing Danny, and with all the others they need to play catch-up on…I think it would be counterproductive to start treating him like the resident schizophrenic.

I know. Flack and Hawkes have such potential to be great characters, and it’s obvious they have a solid fanbase, but the writers seem to always shuffle them to the background. I don’t know if Hawkes was meant to be low-key as a way to keep an eye out for Shane Casey (I thought it would have made more sense if they didn’t randomly shove him out on the field in that one scene, but I guess you can’t stop living due to a homicidal psychopath). As for Flack, boy do I live for the scenes he does show up in. I’m terribly excited for his hopefully character centric, upcoming moments. I hate always seeing him getting bigger roles in the episodes here and there, and then being shoved to the background for the following few weeks.

7. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

I really enjoyed this episode. It's clear that Zuiker was inspired by the Suicide Girls and I think it shows in the writing when the guy who writes it has a genuine interest in the subject matter. Whether the portrayal of the Suicide Girls is accurate or not, I wouldn't know. Zuiker worked with the girls at every stage of development and seemed happy with the result, though a couple people on this site feel it wasn't accurate. Regardless, I loved their sassiness. The scene where Danny and Lindsey were interrogating the girls separately was funny as hell.

I would really have liked to see Danny go for a piece of Nixon Suicide. Season 3 Danny needs to get laid (and not by Lindsey). He's boring me. A one nighter with a dirty girl would have been perfect.

There's one detail about the Suicide Girls case that didn't ring true to me. The guy Omen hooked up with felt betrayed when he realized the "Till Death Do We Part Omen and Al" he tattooed on Omen's chest wasn't for him? Are you freakin' kidding me??? Show me a guy, any guy, who would want to see his name and that particular wording tattooed on a girl's chest when they have only hooked up one time. Seriously.

8. audrina

audrina Police Officer

I totally agree with you! Now I know some people do not appreciate Anna's acting style, but personally I think she is a decent actress - not just on NY but on other things I've seen her in. But what the heck was she supposed to do with the "I get all the sucky jobs" (paraphrasing) line? There was no way she could have delivered that line and made it sound good.

I wish she could have just left it at: "Danny, please, would you mind handling this? I have a difficult time giving bad news to mothers. I would appreciate it." Or something along those lines, period.

Other than that part, I thought Lindsay's scenes were good. I liked the subtle emotion she showed when she first saw Omen's body. I personally think she lost a best friend or sister, and had to tell the parent. My personal theory.

As for Danny after the mom slapped him? If he had hit her or been horribly mean, I wouldn't have liked it, because I think he understood she was grieving and not just being a bitch. I thought he was a little snippy, as someone else said, with the file, and I saw his jaw clench after the slap, like he was collecting himself. "Keep it together, Danny, she just lost her kid." That was enough for me. My two cents.

As for the way he changes around Lindsay, I think it's understandable based on the things that have passed between them, especially the "big talk." As for his overall shift in character, I think it's good because it shows growth. He's been through a lot, and his hot temper and immaturity have not done him favors, so to me, it makes sense that he is calming down a bit ... he's growing as a man.

As for the Suicide Girls? I actually know one myself, and I agree that the sexed up, bimboish image they were given here was a disservice.

Other notes? MORE FLACK AND HAWKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. fly_casual

fly_casual Witness

mmhmm. lindsay got some pretty yucky lines this time around. i really liked that danny didn't let her get away with the 'oh, i just want you to take this, please interview her for me' crap. he had a right to know why she was being a dork, but he didn't get snoopy and try to press her for info. man, he's really growing on me...
    i also liked adam when he was telling danny about the suicide girls. awwww... poor adam got dumped :(

10. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

I'm probably going to get a lot of crap for this, but I gave the episode a big fat F.

The SG portrayal was supposed to show they were different from other sexy women, but I felt like I was watching the "Girls Next Door" at times. The acting was on the same level. I honestly don't know what Zuiker was thinking, or if he was thinking.

Hawkes is supposed to be in extreme danger, as is the defense attorney. A couple lines to move that story along is deemed sufficient? Give me a break. Furlong is cast in a major story arc, but the writers are giving short shrift to their main stars involved in that particular storyline.

It was nice to see playground ball. That was true NY style, and a real high point of the show.

The dialogue and interaction seemed completely off kilter to me, as though it were forced and unnatural. I was sadly unimpressed in a show that is appointment TV for me.

11. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

From last week's episode
    it was not as good to me either
    but I just started watching...
    Flack's dialouge seemed rushed, so did Stella, is it me or is she more 'amped' these days?
    And the Dr. Who is in danger, he certainly didn't look like he was 'looking over his shoulder' :eek:

but I'm glad Edward Furlong's character is going to have a few more storylines

And I have never heard of the Suicide Girls, but they didn't seem that different to me than The Pussy Cat Dolls, the one's they DIDN'T WANT TO BE LIKE? WHATEVER?

Let see, last week was an A this week B-

12. messinwithmesser

messinwithmesser Lab Technician

it was on OK episode to me.... i did like how the SG girl was flirting with danny...wonder if montana was jealous...haha..i was kinda happy that danny didn't know was SG stood for, but adam did. it's funny how danny had to cut him off as he was talking about the SG girl..it kinda' reminded me of how they would do that with hammerback!

i didn't like the fact that there wasn't enought hawkes or flack in that episode! what's up with that?!

13. cygore

cygore Victim

I gave it a B-. When I watched the episode, I kept wondering how much the Suicide Girls paid CBS to be featured in it. I didn't feel like they were acting, but just plugging their brand. Plus it bothered me that one of their "family" members had been murdered, and they got over it very quickly. I don't know what the Suicide Girls are like in real life, but this episode inadvertently made them look very callous.

The Chopper B plot saved this episode for me. It kind of reminded me of the darker episodes in the first season. Unfortunately, the series might never reach that level again.

14. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

Really? I thought the B Case was corny, and reached a new level of crap. It was completely coincidental, the entire thing. And how did she forget to mention that she slammed someone in the head with an apple on a plaque?

Season one was far better than this garbage.

15. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

S1 was a thing of beauty, and I miss it so. The writers actually seemed to give a damn about *all* the characters, not just Danny and his Tru Wub with Lindsay, and Flack actually got more than a few crumbs. Not only that, but the cases, while not blazingly original, often broke your heart.

Then S2 was, for the most part, a dismal clusterdiddle of epic proportions. The cases were sloppy and nonsensical, and the Danny Drams smothered everything not covered by the Lindsay woe. Hawkes was shunted to the background, and Flack might as well have died.

S3 hasn't filled me with much hope aside from "Hung Out to Dry," and I'm sick of all the ridiculous gimmick cases. They're stupid and dull. Frankly, the hot, hot mancake that is Flack is the only reason I haven't unplugged my TV and hurled it from the window.