Grade 'Oedipus Hex'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 19, 2006.

1. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

I did read your post the first time and I was and am not offended at all. :)

It's just that I know a lot of people who do like the Lindsay character and I didn't think we had anything else in common. Maybe the question seemed a bit harsh but I was just curious if you had noticed something different. :)

And although I'm 31 and I've been around the block as you so nicely put it very/too many times :D, I still am a sucker for romance and happy endings. Just cannot help myself. And I think that's why perhaps I can relate to the Lindsay character. She seems to show the same beautiful "innocence". :devil:

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

The reason I thought that Flack actually knew him, more than just him being a cop, was the way he sort of nodded to the kid. It seemed like maybe he was used to the nickname, like he recognized the kid. I can see all of the kids from Don's YMCA group calling him 'Blue' so maybe that's why... :p

Oh, and just a random note, I'm 21 and haven't been 'around the block' in any fashion, and I like the idea of 'romance' well enough, but for a show like this it just seems...misplaced almost to have this romance novel-esque type relationship that just doesn't seem to ring true. The show is about death and finding the evil in the common man, so such a cliche relationship just seems almost cheap to me. It might not be what the writers intended, but I can't say what they were going for, only what I see...

This is possibly also part of my problem with Lindsay's character because so much of what she has been so far is the typical country-girl-goes-to-the-city thing. I know that the writers could do so much more than that, and it almost seems like they didn't give it the forethought it deserved from the very beginning. *shrug* Maybe things will change this season with the reveal of some aspects of Lindsay's past, but at this point I just don't find myself totally invested in her character. I like her, I want to learn more about her, but my interest has waned since she arrived rather than increasing, and that's not a good sign for me.

3. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

That's exactly how I saw and understood it, too.

I agree totally with that. The other characters feel like people ... they seem to inhabit their characters, with Lindsay, I feel like I'm watching an actor. It brings me out of the show. I'd like to find the whole person in her. :)

Some of Mac's one-liners really make me cringe I have to say :lol: ... all of them have had to deal with real shockers at some stage. You hit the nail on the head Kristine, I hadn't thought about the way the various actors handled them.

4. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

That 'codicil' wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular :) I was just worried that someone reading the post might see it as me saying that 'youth=juvenile' and I didn't want anyone upset.

Okay, 'been around the block' is an example of cliched, dreadful writing right there :eek: :lol: , but at least *I* never claimed to be a writer :D

I think it's beautiful when people can still have their hearts set aflutter with romance. I'm beginning to think, maybe that's more about me, being a cynic, never really having experienced full on romance and happy endings, and the fact that it ain't gonna happen, my life situated as it is (this is not a whinge :lol: :lol: just a bald statement of facts). Me, I don't see those romantic moments on tv and think 'sigh aw isn't that lovely'. I look at it and think 'oh give me some of that tongue :D :lol: :eek:'

You got it in the term 'novel-esque'. I hadn't thought about it that way before ... it's a little too 'Mills & Boons' for me.

Thanks for this discussion ladies ... it's giving me new ways to look at things, and I always love that.

That is exactly how I feel about it. I think the writers have done the character, and Anna as the actress portraying her, a great disservice from the start. To me it feels like they plonked her in, and thought 'let's make Danny and Lindsay flirt', right from the start. Cute girl-from-the-country and street-wise city-boy ... it stinks of cliche.

And here's a sudden thought ... with the advent of the Season 2 DVD's and what was said on the 'Trapped' commentary about 'reading the fan forums' (still waiting for mine to arrive), maybe the D/L thing was a blatant attempt to build on Danny's popularity, which must have been so bleedingly obvious to TPTB after Season 1. If so, that sucks mightily because it shows no respect for either of the characters.

I'm hoping I'll warm to her more once the 'secret' is revealed, but somehow I doubt it ... I think the damage is done, for me anyway.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: Grade 'Oedipus Hex' Lindsay's secret

From watching the last show about the Suicide Girls and that the reason that the guy killed the girl was that she was gay and in love with one of the girls. It ends with Lindsay consoling the mother as the mother realizes the reason that she and her daugther had a falling out. You can see that Lindsay is looking at the mother and realizing that that is the same thing going on with her own mother.

That is why she won't have a relationship with Danny.

6. goldnhart

goldnhart Rookie

Lindsay was the character that hooked me into the show. I was "meh" about it before she joined the cast. I guess I bought into the cliche of small-town girl tries to fit into big city.
    I think she and Danny make a cute couple, but I'd rather they stay away from the whole office romance thing.
    I like Lindsay so much that I don't understand why others don't. I think Anna is a fine actress. Because I like her, I want everybody else to like her, too.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Weighing in on the lindsay debate:

I really like her, but I have a habit of falling for the characters that the rest of the fandom hates (*cough*drcameron*cough*) and I know that it just feels threatened to be so much in the minority sometimes (even if the people with the oposite views are nice about it, it still sucks). Then the fans of the disliked character get defensive, the other folks get defensive right back, and it gets ugly, despite the fact that everyone had the best intentions.

As for the theory, I'm young and have yet to have a functional relationship (one in early high school was very complicated). I'm generally rather cynical, but, to steal the description from someone on this board, probably a bit of a closet romantic. I know that workplace relationships are a bad idea, but I just like Danny and Lindsay. Then again, on TV they're a little bit stuck, because any relationship tends to be a workplace one when the show focuses on the workplace.

also, being from one of montana's neighbor-states, I love the country girl goes to the big city idea, because I myself am terrefied of NYC, having grown up in a state with fewer people than the single city. Also I don't watch much other TV, so I may not be sensetized to cliches

8. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

who's Dr.Cameron? *confused*

9. Guest

Guest Guest

a character from House MD who an incredibly large portion of the fans hate.

10. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^ Dr. Cameron is cool. I was actually surprised to find a lot of House fans don't like her. She's got a really big crush on House, and I actually feel sorry for her when he teases her and kind of leads her on. I don't feel the same kind of sympathy for Lindsay--I guess I see much more humanity in Cameron. Cameron clearly cares about the patients she treats; I've yet to see evidence that Lindsay cares about anyone other than Lindsay.

11. dutch_treat

I understand that you think it sucks to be part of the minority here. Just remember that you're not alone ;) . And even if we all get defensive I never felt that it was getting ugly; we're just a bunch of people who are very unwavering in their feelings about a certain character.

I know we have totally opposite opinions about Lindsay. But I'm just curious, you didn't even see it when she was heartbroken about that mermaid-girl in "Stealing Home" or when she was volunteering to go undercover to save that girl in "Not what it looks like".

12. fly_casual

fly_casual Witness

It seemed to me that she was sad about the girl in "Stealing Home" because she reminded Lindsay of herself. And "Not What It Looks Like" could have been Lindsay being selfless, or Lindsay wanting to play hero. It just depends on how you take it, I guess. I can come up with way more 'Lindsay only cares about Lindsay' moments than 'Lindsay is selfless and kind' moments.
    Since when did this thread go from 'Grade Odiepus Hex' to 'Grade Odiepus Hex' Lindsay's secret? :confused:

13. dutch_treat

That, indeed, seems to be the case. It's all a matter of perception.

I saw that too. Don't know when that happened.

14. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

Right Here:

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Exactly. "Stealing Home" was all about Lindsay upset about the victim because she saw herself in the girl (fish out of water from Montana trying to make it in the big city) and not because she cared about the girl herself.

I can see a different argument being made about "Not What It Looks Like" but the scene is so rushed that it's hard to say what her motivation is. I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt with this one, but that would still make it her sole selfless act in over a season on the show.