Grade 'Oedipus Hex'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 19, 2006.

1. SimplyBlue

SimplyBlue Police Officer

When I first watched 'All Access,' I didn't have much of a problem with it. Yeah, they vicitimized Stella and the CSI writers do seem to heavily rely on their female characters for this role, but to stomach both Stella and Lindsay at once (not to mention Aiden and Stella last season)...it just feels like anything lacking a certain male part is due for trouble, and that it will be a haunting factor in their lives. It's unavoidable.

But at the same time, I would expect Stella to have some lasting effect from the incident. I think it would be silly to expect otherwise, but it's a little bothersome that the men are perfectly fine (if not better afterwards) when the women have to continuously 'battle' their demons.

But I don't know, maybe the writers are starting to dabble in continuity between seasons. Maybe in an episode we'll get to see Flack get a little jumpy after a loud, explosion-like noise (or something)

Yeah, Danny is whiny, but I always understood it as another way of reacting to his environment. Danny (to me) has always been an intense character that emotionally reacts to everything he interacts with, whether that be a curl of the nose, a snarky comment, or complaining that he got blood on his clothes. I find it much more endearing since it adds to this passion of his.

I do like that it felt more original -- giving the male the short end of the stick time after time (and among drama queen and tiara-award winning moments).

2. CSI808

CSI808 Rookie

Alright, I've finally decided on a grade. Despite the reviews, I gave it a B+. I didn't think the Suicide Girls acting was THAT bad. They just didn't say much. But the crying of Al... yeah... I did notice one red eye and one completely white eye.

I'm glad Lindsay and Danny worked great together without any shippiness. (Is that even a word??) Maybe it's because I'm probably one of the few who like Lindsay/Anna, but I thought she didn't do too bad. She really isn't getting anything great to work with, but I'm keeping hopes up for her big secret.

Danny was great as alwasy. Nothing more, nothing less.

LOVED everyone's ending scenes. The ending is the reason I boosted my grade up.

SOOOOOOOO disappointed that there was so little of Flack.

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Yeah, like you I think I'm finding both Stella and Lindsay going through things at the same time, while Flack is going on like the bombing never happened and Danny only occasionally remembers his brother's plight, a bit of an overkill. I hated "All Access" though and found it highly exploitive.

I liked Danny whiny and emotional, too. It was something that really distinguished him as a character and made him more interesting to watch. Yeah, sometimes I wanted to slap him (like all through "The Dove Commission") but most of the time I just enjoyed watching and waiting to see what he'd do next.

4. RanMa

RanMa CSI Level Two

I gave it a B+.

I have no idea who the Suicide Girls are so I wouldn't know if they were misrepresented or what. For me, they're just characters that started and ended with the show *shrugs*

Yeah, the fake tear made me laugh. So did that end scene where they were all together and Al was actually *happy* (yeah, don't let the recent death of your girlfriend bother you too much). The slow walking, the obvious Kodak group shot --- please! Sometimes NY just makes me cringe :rolleyes: Also, that whole MTV with Chopper? What was that?

However, I did laugh in *glee* over Danny's reaction at the end (zohmygod, I think that's the first time EVER that Danny made me laugh, most of the time I just to hurt him)

Still, it's not as bad as LRC.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I am thinking this is b/c she didn't want it. Not that others didn't want it. I know sometimes I say that line when it is something I just EXTREMELY do NOT want to do. That way I feel like I have just transfered it to someone else. :) I understood what she was saying. She didn't care if it were others, just not mothers.

6. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

I disagree. I don't know what some of you think he should have done there. Slapped her back? Fly off the handle because this woman's daughter is dead and she's upset about it? No. I think this was one of the realer emotions and actions that's been shown on this show to the situation at hand.

This episode overall was pretty good. I hated the way they ended Chopper's story. Mac and Stella getting all pissy over that woman hitting him with her teacher of the year award after her and her husband had just gotten mugged? Whatever. Sometimes people do crazy things when they're scared out of their minds, their car has a flat tire and it's night time in a foreign city with a highly publicized high crime rate.

I agree with the Suicide Girls never acting again. I have nothing to compare them to as I've never heard of them really before last night. Jumping here: How is Danny not a hurting unit all the time? :lol: Last week, he jumped from one fire escape across an alleyway to another. This week, he jumps on the back of a moving motorcycle to bring this guy down. And was it just me or did he wear the same shirt the whole time?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

BTW, OK so they found blood in the helment. So, like what was the significants in that. I never saw the girl with it on ....unless of course it was due to high velocity blood spatter. But, they never came back to it again or even said anything else pertaining to it. I guess since the guy confessed then they decided not to use it. But, he confessed before the processing of the bike, so why even show us the processing of the bike "after" the confession. Shouldn't that have come before.

I think someone was asleep when they were writing this episode.

8. Nim

Nim Pathologist

First: I-LOVE-DANNY :lol:
    You can slap him, trail him with your motorcycle, squirt fake blood on him, find him in a rough-and-tumble...and his baby blue shirt is always clean :lol:

I gave it an A.
    Just because it made me laugh with some lines and scenes :)

And The Suicide Girls rocks!!! :D ah, I'd love to join you in LA for the show... :(

And it was a strange episode, with Mac and Stella on the B case :)

9. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

I agree. I liked the way Danny handled himself in that scene.

I also liked the interrogation scenes with Danny and Lindsay interviewing the Suicide Girls. :lol:

Still don't like Lindsay, as others have said she came off as a whiney brat when she made Danny talk to the mom.

The B plot felt too rushed, it was pretty confusing.

Glad to see some mention of Shane, although I would like to know how Hawkes is handling all of this, since he is on Shane's potential victims list.

Flack's not showing any physical side affects after having a huge hole in his chest? Even for a t.v. show that's pushing it.

Guess I'll give this episode a "B"

10. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

Well, I give it an A even though there were some things I didn't quite understand. I loved the ep. LOL. I never heard of the Suicide girls before either but................... I think Danny handled the slap in the face just like he should've. Nothing he could do but, take it. Wish they'd explored Lindsays reasons further why she didn't wanna talk to the mom in the first place but, I'm sure that will come in time. As far as the couple they'll get off. Mac illegally searched the suitcase. Plus what was he doing with evidence out of the lab? So their confession would've probably would've been thrown out. They get away with it. I mean they thought they were gonna be mugged again. I do have a ? was that not his son that had mugged the couple? Sure looked like him. I loved the ending where Mac & Stella was putting away Choppy's stuff. Lindsay consoling the mother. That brought tears to my eyes. Loved it. Thumbs up.

11. Hankster

Hankster Coroner

Looks like this Shane Casey plot's going to be going on for a while. I thought Flack and Danny had Casey in the back of their car. I just don't understand how he escaped from them--that was not explained clearly.

Overall, a cool ep--I just am surprised that they didn't have a reference to Sid Hammerback having dated or messed around with one or more of the Suicide Girls. That would not have surprised me in the least, given that creepy place Sid goes to...

12. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Great comments everyone. After sleeping on it, I decided on a B+. It wasn't terribly engaging, but I loved Flack's casual mention of working with the kids at the Y. Very endearing.

I could also see Danny's brain working when Nixon Suicide asked him out - and his expression when he was checking them out as they were leaving was priceless.

The ending to the B case was a bit of a head-scratcher. Was that woman really so paranoid after being held up that she would crack the guy's head open when he was quite plainly injured and looking for help? Where was your cell phone then, lady? You reached for the award rather than the phone? That didn't quite work for me.

Like many of you, I don't know enough about the Suicide Girls to make a judgment on them, but I liked that storyline. Lindsay once again left me wondering about hew maturity. Give me a break, lady.

Not as great as last week, but still not too bad.

13. kkennedytx

kkennedytx Rookie

I wish the writers would SHOW us Flack working with the YMCA kids, rather than have them TELL us through a throwaway line. That's what bugs me about how the writers treat Flack. Had it been Danny (instead of Flack), we would have seen him (or a flashback) interacting with the Y kids. All we got was the brief mention and an even briefer "blink-and-you-miss-it" glimpse of Flack in a yellow t-shirt.

14. GoodLittle Wench

GoodLittle Wench Coroner

I give it a B-. It was an okay episode, but nothing to write home about. Perhaps I would have liked it better if I hadn't been subjected to Lindsey's whining about not dealing well with mothers. Good lord, I know preschoolers who whine less than Lindsey does. And then she just stands out there in the hall and watches. How about you work the case Ms. Monroe, instead of just standing there with your hands in your pockets.

And could someone please get Danny a cup of coffee, and a backbone. Once again, he is playing the lap dog this week. And it still irritates me to no end. He should have went out with the Suicide Girl. Maybe she could have found the old Danny. Lord knows the writers have no idea where he is.

15. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

Danny's been getting a lot of ( excuse the pun ) flack for this ep, but I have to say, I didn't think the way he handled the distraught mother was out of character. On the contrary, every time we see Danny interact with a parent or parents that have lost a child, Danny has shown compassion and patience. I enjoyed his preformance during that scene.

Perhaps if D/L had been handled with the same amount of care before their falling out in "Love Run Cold," I would have been more able to accept the pairing.

I also liked Flack being involved with the YMCA -- after all, the NYPD have a ton of outreach programs for kids. I was a little confused because Flack's precinct is in Midtown and his kids appear to live in Harlem, but maybe he makes special trips. I was sad that we didn't see him actually playing basketball.

Adam dated a Suicide Girl? Very interesting, and cute in a way. I think this could have been fun if they'd followed through on it a little -- especially if he knew one of the girls. Perhaps not his ex, but one of the Girls she hung out with? They definitely could have used him more on this storyline, but I was happy to see him at all. What I DO miss is his more explosive moments with Danny -- perhaps Danny could have given him a bit of a hard time about dating a Suicide Girl, or else Adam could have made some kind of comment about Danny not having the cajones to.

This was not a good episode for Lindsay. What's worse is that I'm beginning to piece together what her storyline is about and I'm losing enthusiasm for it.

Again, I find myself missing Flack and Hawkes. I know Danny gets ratings, but there was a real lack of screentime for our Good Doctor, and this makes me very, very sad. I hope that gets remedied.

The moment between Mac and Stella was absolutely adorable, and exactly the kind of stuff I missed for their characters. Kudos to a well-played scene!

The cases? Predictable and even a little contrived, but not entirely uninteresting. I think they could have gone different angles that would have been more interesting, but I liked them well enough to get through the episode.

Overall? Solid B-, but it probably would have been higher if we'd seen more Flack, Hawkes, and if perhaps they'd used Adam to shell out the SG storyline and took out the bit where Lindsay freaks out at Danny when he asks her to take the mother. :lol: