Game: Brain Freezers

Posted by SpinLizard
Richard Nixon was President Nixon in 1970.
That is true but that is not the answer to the question. Read it carefully.
What was the United States President's name in 1970?

We have a winner. Correct, Captain. (Gives salute.) He was not president back in 1970, but that was the current president's name back then. I'll wait on the next one until the barrel question is answered.

SpinLizard, I was doing some experimenting with water in an old soup can. If I tilt the can slowly until the water touches the top edge of the open section, I compare the level to the bottom of the can. If it shows some of the bootom of the can, it is less than half full. If it covers the bottom of the can, it is more than half full. How did I do?

New question. . .

How many 1 foot by 1 foot bricks would it take to complete a building that is 20 feet on all four sides and 20 feet high?

It does not matter, Captain, read the question carefully. But if you need that info, lets say 1 foot each for length, width, and height. Yes, I know they would be heavy darn things, but like I said, it does not matter what size.

SpinLizard, I was doing some experimenting with water in an old soup can. If I tilt the can slowly until the water touches the top edge of the open section, I compare the level to the bottom of the can. If it shows some of the bootom of the can, it is less than half full. If it covers the bottom of the can, it is more than half full. How did I do?

You got it... nicely done...

How many 1 foot by 1 foot bricks would it take to complete a building that is 20 feet on all four sides and 20 feet high?

Notice the question actually says
20 feet on all four sides and 20 feet high?

1. If this is not a typo, then the question doesn't really make any sense... you can't have a building that is twenty feet by twenty feet tall. Twenty feet what... wide, deep. Let's just say that the builders built a truss twenty feet up in the air, and then proceeded to lay a single layer of bricks in a square on the truss; therefore each side would be one brick high and twenty bricks wide at an altitude of 20 feet... that's (18*4) + 4 = 76 bricks.

2. If in fact this is a typo and Dynamo actually meant the following:

The building 20 feet WIDE by 20 feet tall on each side...

AND assuming NO WINDOWS, then:

4 walls at 20 feet tall, without counting the corners:
(4*18*20) = 1440

PLUS the corners:
(4*20) = 80

Equals 1520 bricks...

Or you could do the math like this...

1. The first wall would be 20x20 bricks = 400
2. The next two walls, one on either side of the first,
would only need 19 in width to equal a total of 20
wide, but still need 20 bricks in height: 2*19*20 = 760
3. The final wall needs only 18 bricks in width, but
still needs 20 in height: 18*20 = 360

For a grand total of 1520.

But I am still not sure this is the answer Dynamo was looking for...

^ I should mention that the dimensions of the building are extraneous information. (Ooh, all those big words. Those vocabulary words of the day calendars are great.) Let me know when you are ready for a clue.

Well done, keljopy. Welcome to the CSI boards. Great way to start off. (There is a rumor that the newbie buys pizza for the other members.) If you haven't done so, read through the first couple of pages of this Brain Freezers thread. Then spring them on freinds, relatives, and co-workers to torment them. Next...

Do they have a 4th of July in England?

Yup, and so does everywhere else :p

I got one:

What do people make that nobody can ever see?

Back