"Forget Me Not" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

Not sure why they didn't just have Grissom move back to Vegas but continue to be offscreen. I really hate that they've decided to give up on the Sara/Grissom romance. One of the best scenes was when Sara met Grissom in the rainforest (or wherever).

Having Jorja come back to the show created some problems, though. Surprised it took this long to deal with it.

2. CmputrBlu

CmputrBlu Civilian

This is one of those situations where the writers didn't have to do anything. Regardless of whether WP will ever make another appearance; the characters relationship was off-screen and could have easily remained that way till the last credit role upon the show's end.

Not sure what what it means to say Sara deserves someone who puts her ahead of his work. The characters do what the writers make them do. having Sara and Grissom spilt serves no purpose unless they're planning to every episode now start with Sara waking up in the bed of this week's boyfriend.

Next week on CSI, Sara trys to find a man with the help of Nick and Greg. On a very special CSI, Sara and the lab girls party hard! Woohoo!

CSI: Sex In The City! :)

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I don't think we can say for sure they gave up or ended it completely though.

4. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

What a horrible wrap-up to the whole GSR plot...if that was the end. Why can't William Peterson stop being so stubborn and just make an appearance!

5. kiwi_fruit

kiwi_fruit Dead on Arrival

I'm not sure if the links are allowed here but if you haven't already check out the last few tweets from @CSIWritersRoom. "What makes you guys think #GSR is over?" is one of them:)

6. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

What makes us think that? Or hope that?? I'm sorry, but it's been done to death. Can we not please, please have the show move on to something else? It was never supposed to be a love story. It's a crime show.

(By the way...links are fine. :) )

7. kiwi_fruit

kiwi_fruit Dead on Arrival

I really agree even as a GSR fan. More than happy to have it off the screen. Completely. But this is not the "conclusion" these characters deserved or many fans of the ship want to remember it with.

8. MacsGirlMel

I like that tweet.

9. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

Exactly. I don't know if they think they're creating anticipation or tension or whatever, but it's becoming a monotonous part of the show. I'm more than happy with them being off screen it's just these characters are two of the originals and GSR has always been a small part of the show. This couple has been 13 years in the making, I just want to know that they're both happy. With or without each other, because it's what those characters deserve.

10. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

This, in a nutshell.

ETA: it is sad that they took what was otherwise a great episode and tainted it with GSR angst that was totally unnecessary.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  11. MacsGirlMel

I agree with,both posts. And yes,they are enjoying this way too much. Grr.

12. Rena

Rena Rookie

Isn't WP still listed as "executive producer"? So what's he acutally doing as an "executive producer"? :confused:

13. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

you guys did see the pic, that csi writers room tweeted? the tweets from GSR fans, which they posted on Andy Dettmann's door. here it is the pic they took of those tweets all over the door. Even I spotted two of my tweets is on that door when I saw that post. I was like oooh they did heard our rants about forget me not episode and aftermath of Sara and Gil's marriage.

https://twitter.com/CSIWritersRoom/status/304775967199596544/photo/1

14. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I'm kinda apalled that someone actually had the time to do it. :( No wonder the quality of the stories has gone down hill. CSI is fast becoming my cure for insomnia (used to be Miami!). All I want is an end to the 'personal' story lines. I kinda miss the days when we used to complain about conflict-of-interest (should Catherine be on all those cases with Sam Braun? should the team have worked Warrick's case?).

CSI isn't about GSR. It's about using science and forensics to solve crimes. GSR is a side story to that and in the early seasons never took away from the main stories of solving crimes. From my reading through this thread GSR is almost the only thing that happened in this episode which would be why I spent the whole hour switching channels and basically why when asked I couldn't really give a rundown on what happened. :(

Susan

15. byline

byline CSI Level One

Man, oh, man. Words cannot describe how bad I felt that episode was. It was like somebody said, "OK, we have to solve this GSR thing once and for all." (Why? I ask. Why is it so hard for Hollywood types to conceive of a normal relationship outside of work, and just leave it at that?) Anyway ... it was like that line that Finn said (which I'm sure Elisabeth Shue struggled with, because it was just so appallingly bad). Something like, "We know Sara is being framed, so how can we prove it?" Ack, that is the absolute opposite of what "CSI" of old was all about!

This episode was, for me, the "jumping the shark" episode (by the way, through no fault of Jorja Fox; she did the best she could with what she was given), because it encapsulates how the powers that be have decided to turn "CSI" into a soap opera rather than what it was at its origin and throughout its strongest seasons: a forensic procedural with an empathetic human element, both from the viewpoint of the investigators and the victims of violence. That was almost totally absent from this episode, so focused as it was on The Breakup of Grissom and Sara.

We had a murderer whom I couldn't care less about. In fact, I barely remembered who he was till flashbacks explained it. And I don't think the case, and his antagonism toward Sara, could have been more forced or convoluted. And then the soap opera-ish lines our beloved main characters were given could not have been less believable. William Petersen has to be thanking his lucky stars that he got out when the getting was relatively good. Maybe he could see the trajectory that most TV shows take when they've run out of good ideas, and he wanted no part of it.

I had a bad feeling when Marg was given such a superwoman-type sendoff last season. But I had faith that the powers that be would get it all figured out. They haven't, and I feel like I've been patient enough. Sadly, it's sayonara from me to a once-beloved show.

Actually, that's the part that's easiest for me to understand. The show is not what it once was, and Petersen was always adamant about it meeting his very high and exacting standards of excellence. I think that in his later years with the series, he could see the handwriting on the wall, and he no longer had the energy to fight for the show's quality the way he did in the early years. He needed to leave; there was no question about that. It wasn't just a casual "Oh, I think I'll take some time off to do other things." He is an actor who needs to feel passionately about the work he's doing; if the passion isn't there, then it's time for him to walk. So it really was the right decision for him to leave.

But then the ball was back in the network's court as to how they were going to continue without Grissom. I think if they had followed "Law & Order"'s lead (the mothership, not any of the spinoffs) and kept the relationship low-key and off-screen forever, till the series' end, that would have been fine with most people. But for some reason that I've never been able to fathom, they kept picking at it, like a scab they wouldn't let heal. And it was like, the more they scratched at it, the worse it got. They should've just left well enough alone, IMO.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013