"Ficlets" about CSI: LV - Give me suggestions!

Yey your writing the fics again! I didn't abandon you, I swear. I love them all. They're sooo cute.

Teehee Grissom as a ladybug. :lol:

Joy22, you have got yourself a Swarrick ficlet! Glad to know there’s some kind of method to his madness - good suggestion! Okay, now I just hope this ‘prequel’ will live up to the expectation... Enjoy. :cool:
P.S: Hi hollie, glad you revived the sandle R/P! :)

After pulling another double, Sara was ready to go home. She was working with Warrick and they had the evidence room to themselves. Except at the moment, he was no where to be found. She didn’t even notice until she looked up at the clock. Didn’t he say he was going to get coffee? That was two hours ago.
He wouldn’t leave without her, and his things in his locker confirmed it. Feeling worried, she stepped outside into the parking lot and spotted someone leaning against the Denali. It was Warrick.

“There you are. I was wondering where you were.”
“You ever looked up at the stars?”
She laughed lightly, but stopped when he didn‘t laugh with her.
“What do you mean?”
“The stars. We’re always wrapped up in our next case or the sheriff. I work graveyard and I never took a break to just sit back and look up at the sky.”
He sounded so serious. Like he needed someone to talk to but she wasn’t sure if she was the right person to lean on. She had to say something.
“I never really thought about it. The stars…” she followed his gaze and stared at the dull, black sky.
“Not much to look at.”
“Well not with all these lights around. You can’t see anything here in the city,” his voice dropped, “I can’t see anything around me anymore.”
Nothing more was said. She didn’t want to pressure him and he didn’t want to talk.

“We should get going. I’m going to clock out.”
He nodded. They clocked out and went their separate ways. Sara’s mind wasn’t on the case anymore.

After going an entire week without talking to him she was glad to see him again. Unfortunately he didn’t look as happy.
“They’re overturning our case.”
He didn’t even bother saying hello. Sara saw him clenching the chair in the break room, and guessed why he was so upset.
“He killed a little boy and they’re letting him go?”
“Posted bail and skipped town. Our work was for nothing.”
“Don’t talk like that,” she walked over and gripped his shoulder.
“I have to go.”
“Where are you going?”
“Away,” he brushed off her hand and headed for the door.
“Warrick,” she blocked his way, “I’m not letting you go until you talk to me.”
He looked at her, into her eyes filled with concern and uncertainty.

“Separation? It’s not final. Maybe you’ll reconcile.”
Warrick leaned back in his seat, staring somberly at her.
“It’s over. We might as well be divorced.”
“Is that why you’re upset?”
He didn’t answer right away. It was as if he was unsure. Sara never saw him look that way.
“I don’t think so. I mean, that may be part of it - a small part - but I’m not heartbroken.”
She looked down at her coffee, the inky blackness reminding her off their earlier conversation.
“You need some time off. I think with all the work, and stress, and personal problems, you’re heading for an early burn out. You’re a great investigator Warrick, but even pros need a break.”
“Yeah,” he thought it over. “I guess that makes sense.”
They paid for their coffee and left the little diner. Sara was happy to help Warrick out in his time of need. She didn’t realize she would soon be in his situation.

Grissom was extending his sabbatical.
After weeks with no word from him, she called his cell and recognized the hesitation in his voice. His exact words were ‘I need a break, Sara’. Grissom was apologetic and assured her that she wasn’t at fault.
Bitter thoughts flew as she decided if he could do it, so could she.
Sara wanted to get away from work and take advantage of this little break Grissom had given her.

Sara was glad she caught him before he left; she brought some spare clothes and some money - nothing else. When she woke up to the soft rays of the sun she knew this was worth it.
Looking over at him, she realized something between had shifted. Their time together had deepened their friendship into something more. Perhaps this trip was what she needed to find out exactly how much more.

“Morning, Sara.”
She smiled at him, blinking away the sleep from her eyes. He sounded much happier, and it was heartening to know she helped with that.
“Good morning Warrick.”

They didn’t talk about work or case files. They didn’t even talk about the stars, but under the setting sun and the twilight of dusk Sara quickly found they didn’t have a need for words.

The last few lines could be interpreted in more than one way. Maybe they looked at each other, relaxing in the quiet calm, or maybe it was a bit more romantic... more physical. ;) But that's up for the readers to decide.
Here is where I say thanks for reading, and leave any criticism, suggestions, reviews, etc.

I loved that...Thank you so much for writing that! I especially liked your link back to Warrick's need to see the stars with his great "I can't see anything around me anymore" line. And you know what, hardcore shipper as I am, I prefer to think they just sat in silence at the end. That seems even more romantic then a grope fest. :)
Great job! You can even call me Joy-Z after this. ;)

It's great (do I ever write anything else about your Swarrick stories? xD btw. I like the others I've read as well ^^) Your stories all have something kinda poetic about them, or at least that's what I think...

I loved all of those. They are really great.

New Suggestion: A CatNip fic. The Thanksgiving after Eddie dies, Catherine has to work. Nick comes over and he and Lindsey make a Thanksgiving dinner for her as a surprise.

A request! *pounces on request* You know, I was thisclose to browsing the Fanfiction Request thread and trying to answer one of those requests. :p
Alright, now that the holidays are closing in I’m looking forward to writing up some holiday ficlets! I wonder who’ll be the first to request a ‘mistletoe related’ ficlet (and what pairing). Oh well. I’ll be keeping a look out for those in December. ;)
For now, I’m happy to write a nice Thanksgiving CatNip ficlet. Enjoy AmandaSzmanda.

Catherine Willows had to work on Thanksgiving. She didn’t really remember it was Thanksgiving until she spotted the little paper turkey in the reception desk.
“Is it the fourth Thursday already?”
Judy the receptionist looked at Catherine and answered by wishing her a Happy Thanksgiving.

Nick was smart enough to request his day off beforehand. He didn’t get a chance to visit his parents like last year but he was fine with it, because when Catherine called him to look after Lindsey, a plan formulated in his mind. He would get a chance to celebrate Thanksgiving with someone he cared about.
It was the first Thanksgiving without her ex-husband, and even though Lindsey informed him that they didn’t make a big deal over the food-related holiday, he still wanted to surprise Catherine.

“We don’t usually have a huge dinner. My mom can’t make a turkey.”
“Well, lucky for her, I picked up some pre-cut turkey and that’s easier to cook.”
Nick brought a bunch of groceries with him, containing all the fixings for a small, but traditional Thanksgiving feast. He pulled out the bag of turkey breasts and legs, and opened it. After a quick rinse he placed the turkey inside an aluminum tray. He seasoned the poultry and made sure the oven was on the right setting.
With an almost expert-like quickness he peeled some potatoes for boiling, opened up a can of green beans for the casserole and got the pre-made stuffing on the stove.

Lindsey watched him the whole time, looking more than a little impressed.
“What do I do?”
“You,” Nick looked around for a towel, “have the important job of mashing the potatoes after they’re done.”
“Okay,” Lindsey agreed.
He grabbed the bubbling pot of potatoes with a towel and drained them before placing the pot on the table.
She grabbed a fork and got started on pulverizing the potatoes. As she finished he handed her some cans to get started on. She looked at the cans: cranberry sauce, creamed corn, and sweet potatoes, then she looked at the can opener.
Without asking, Nick explained to her, “Just open them and pile them into individual bowls.“
Lindsey didn’t often get a chance to help out in the kitchen, so she made a few mistakes at first. But Nick was so understanding and helpful; before she knew it they were almost done and she was feeling quite proud of herself.

Catherine pulled into the driveway, ready to apologize to Nick for arriving so late. However, as soon as she reached the door she was greeted by a pleasant, delectable aroma.
“What…?”
Quickly opening the door she caught Nick and Lindsey in the middle of setting the table.
“Surprise,” Nick looked up to see an amazed Catherine.
“Nicky, you did all this? For me?”
He gave her a warm smile, “I came over and thought I would bring a little bit of family tradition on this family holiday. I didn’t want you to be alone on Thanksgiving. I hope I’m not over stepping my-”
“You cooked dinner,” she shook her head in wonder, “How could I be mad at you?”
Catherine walked over and grabbed Nick in a fierce hug.
“Thank you. I really appreciate this.”
“You shouldn’t be giving me all the thanks,” Nick laughed, “Lindsey helped.”
“Is it true?” Catherine smiled at her daughter who was seated at the table, patiently waiting for them to join her.
“Yup. And the turkey wasn’t hard to make at all!”
“Oh sweetie,” she walked over and hugged her daughter as well, “thanks. I needed this after my long day.”

Nick had disappeared into the kitchen and brought out the turkey. Lindsey made a grab for a drumstick but Catherine stopped her for a second.
“Wait. Since it is thanksgiving, we should all say what we’re thankful for.”
“Okay, I’ll start,” Nick placed the platter in the center bowed his head slightly and began, “I’m thankful for my family, and my friends who have been there for me, and I would gladly be there for them.”
He looked over at Lindsey who was still mulling it over.
“I guess she’s still thinking about it. I’ll go next,” Catherine also bowed her head, “I’m thankful for everyone who’s supported me this last year. Especially considering what happened… I’m thankful for new beginnings and old friends. One particular friend comes to mind at the moment,” she looked up at Nick. “And I’m definitely glad to be spending Thanksgiving with you two.”
It was Lindsey’s turn and she shut her eyes before starting, “I’m thankful for my mom, and my family… and Nick who made us dinner - but I helped! And… I’m thankful for… the turkey, and the pie… and the potatoes… and…”
She looked up and eyed the turkey, “That’s it. So can we eat?”
Nick and Catherine laughed but agreed, feeling very glad and grateful.

And there you go. Any comments, corrections, reviews or suggestions are welcome! Don't be shy. :)

*squees* CatNip! *pounces*

argh I wish there was an NY thread like this...*sighs at thought of M/S Thanksgiving*

In the absence of that...how about a GSR thanksgiving? Or better yet one where the whole team gets together? Ideas to include...

-Getting Grissom to have everyone over
-Being glad Ecklie isn't invited
-Someone doing the wishbone
-Balancing the meal preferences since Sara's a vegetarian
-Grissom or Sara commenting on the real history behind the holiday
-Nick and Warrick and watching football and someone not understanding why guys like it. To which Grissom makes a coment about 'not all guys' And maybe a Greg high school lament
-there can be GSR if you like but it's not a necessity
-maybe a funny childhood Thanksgiving story
-Someone getting sick from overeating

(I hope I'm good, I don't do this often. I DO have a funny mistletoe idea...shall I do it now or wait a few weeks?)

Yeah, Mel. And then they could have someone do the wishbone like in Friends and they go "You got the bigger half what did you wish for?" then the other goes "The bigger half." (With shirtless football guys)

Not my suggestion...sorry Mel. *walks away*

If you don't (or Mel doesn't) want to incorperate that into that fic. That could be my next challenge.

Oh wow, great suggestion MacsGirlMel! Very detailed and it’s got the whole group. Friendship ficlets are always nice to write (they‘re right up there with romance)! I‘ll even put in some GSR because you asked so nicely. :)
I also wish I could do that NY thing for you! Someday I’ll start watching CSI: NY - it will give me an understanding on who I’ve been writing about when I included NY couples as cameos in two of my ficlets. Plus it’s a spin-off that’s set in my home town! *sigh*
Anyway, I hope you like what I came up with in terms of a CSI Las Vegas Thanksgiving, maybe it‘ll make up for the fact that I cannot give you a Mac and Stella thanksgiving. ;)

The entire graveyard shift was invited to Grissom’s house for Thanksgiving dinner. To say they were surprised would be putting it mildly.
“Is this a joke?”
“You got one too?”
“Grissom the recluse is throwing a dinner party?”
“You have got to be kidding me.”
When Sara informed them that he was indeed inviting them over to his place for Thanksgiving and it was definitely not a joke, they all agreed - albeit confusedly.

Grissom didn’t dress up, but he did tidy up his place. He even put up a few streamers and cardboard leaves. Catherine was the first to arrive, marveling at the thought he put into the decorating. Nick and Warrick came in right after, followed by Greg and Sara. Everyone each brought something for the host: wine, pie, cookies, and a casserole. Sara was the only one who was seemingly empty handed, except for a mysterious, plain package she left in his kitchen.
“Wow, everything looks great,” Catherine spoke up when everyone had arrived.
“Thanks,” Grissom said, “I didn’t really cook much of it. Most of it is pre-ordered - already made.”
Catherine smiled, “It’s still good. Any reason you invited us over?”
The others looked over, also curious as to the reason their boss was all of a sudden so social.
The entomologist paused before answering, “I guess because I wanted to do something different this year.”
“I think I speak for everyone when I say this is a nice surprise. And we appreciate all the effort,” Nick said sincerely, while setting his pie down on the table.
Everyone took the chance to eyeball the spread; the turkey being the centerpiece, “This is a true Thanksgiving feast.”
“Well not exactly,” Grissom stated, feeling more comfortable, “It’s not true in the sense of authenticity. The Plymouth colonists didn’t even have half of this back in their 1621 harvest feast.”
“Also, the Pilgrims didn’t celebrate Thanksgiving after 1621,” Sara was happy to add her bit of knowledge about the holiday, “In fact it wasn’t until 1863 when Lincoln made it a national holiday with his 1863 Thanksgiving Proclamation, thanks to some heavy persuasion-”

“That’s great,” Catherine was trying to cut her off before she began recounting the entire history of the pilgrims and the native Americans.
Nick still looked skeptical about the food items, and he turned to Grissom, “It can’t be more than one or two things here.”
Grissom mused, “They did not have sweet potatoes, ham, corn on the cob, cranberry sauce-”
“Alright alright, I get it. How about we dig in before the food gets cold?” Nick took a seat, and the rest of them followed suit.
“Wait,” Sara shot up and left the room hurriedly before bringing the ‘mystery package’, “I brought something to add. Since I’m not going to eat that turkey…”
She opened up the bag and revealed a suspiciously wrapped lump of… something.
“What is that?” Greg looked at it with trepidation.
“It’s a tofurkey. Turkey substitute,” Sara smiled as she served the brown lump on a platter she brought from the kitchen. Her colleagues didn’t look as enthusiastic as she did.
“You know, I ordered plenty of vegetable dishes: mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce - even the stuffing is vegetarian,” Grissom pointed out.
“Yeah, I think I’ll stick with the real McCoy,” Warrick replied.
Sara paid no heed, “Oh come on. Broaden your palate, try something new!”
“It doesn’t really look like meat,” Greg replied hesitating.
Nick added, “It doesn’t even look like food!”
“You know, the pilgrims had many different meats in their original autumn harvest: fish, eel, mussels, clams, lobsters, goose, duck, swans, venison-”
“Whose side are you on,” Sara looked at Grissom accusingly.
“I’m simply saying that vegetable dishes didn't really play a large part in the first Thanksgiving because of the time of year,” he replied with an amused look.
Sara made a face and served herself a big slice of the tofurkey.

“Ready?”
“Make a wish, man.”
Nick and Warrick were holding each side of a wishbone ready to snap it in half. The one with the most bone gets their wish; in this case it happened to be Warrick.
“Oh that’s cold!”
“Tough luck,” Warrick smiled in success.
“What did you wish for?”
“Can’t tell you but it has to do with the game,” he informed him with a satisfied grin.
“Speaking of which, it should be starting right about now,” Nick said before glancing at Grissom, “If it’s alright with you.”
The older man nodded and Nick turned to Warrick, “Broncos vs. Cowboys?”
“Yeah. And I got Broncos,” he was the first to make it to the couch and claim it as his own.
“Cowboys all the way,” Nick proclaimed with a hoot.
Greg and Catherine followed them, leaving Grissom and Sara behind to gather the dishes.

While everyone was intent on the game, Sara and Grissom found themselves in the kitchen, loading the dishwasher. They were quiet for a while, listening to the two sports fanatics cheering their teams on.
“Thanks for inviting everyone. I forgot what it was like to just hang out together,” Sara spoke quietly so as not to be heard by the others who were just a few feet away.
“You’re welcome,” Grissom smiled softly, “I have to say, this didn’t turn out so bad.”
“Probably because you didn’t invite Ecklie,” Sara smirked.
“Yes. Definitely,” Grissom responded, looking relieved.
“Where did you get the idea for the decorating?” Sara looked over at the living room.
“Oh, just something from when I was younger. I didn’t really use the paper leaves when I helped my mom with one particular Thanksgiving dinner.”
Sara turned to Grissom, mirth evident in her eyes, “You didn’t…”
“I brought in a garbage bag full of leaves from outside. I thought they looked nice, and my mom agreed at first - until they started to dry up and break off everywhere. Let's just say that I don’t go for accuracy in Thanksgiving nowadays.”
She smiled widely at him, subtly placed her hand on his. He returned the smile, lingering near her before they were interrupted by groaning. They shared a look before deciding to join the rest of their colleagues and check out the progress of the game.

“…I don’t understand the appeal. Running around kicking that ball. Football is such a guy thing. For them, Thanksgiving has it all: food and sports.”
“Not all guys,” Grissom put in his two cents.
Catherine looked up, a bit surprised that he seemingly came out of no where, “Huh?”
“Not all guys watch football,” Grissom clarified.
“I know I don’t,” Greg sighed, “I didn’t even watch my friends play high school football. And now I have no interest in it.”
“Poor Greg,” Nick joked.
“I’ll probably be hearing that later,” he groaned, “I can barely move. I’m so stuffed I’ll probably explode.”
“Not on my couch, please,” Grissom quipped.
Everyone else laughed at that, and even Greg managed a few chuckles as he held his stomach.

There you go! Comments and corrections, as well as requests and reviews are greatly appreciated! A mistletoe idea, already? It's true what they say about Christmas coming earlier every year! You could wait until December, but if you really want it, I'm not opposed to writing my first Christmas ficlet of the year. :cool:
Still one more week until Thanksgiving. Any other requests? You don't even have to suggest a holiday ficlet, if you don't want to.

You amaze, as always *grin* I wish I wrote that well under pressure lol. People like my work but I take forever to get ideas down on paper. You, OTOH, are wonderful :)

I have two ideas but I don't know if you can fit the first one into a ficlet. And yikes you were about to slip off the board :( I saved you hehe.

-Nick finds the team on a case involving the guy who molested him as a kid
-the guy not remembering him right off the bat
-draw a parelell about him feeling helpless; back then it was because of things like his age size ect and now it's because he can't be on the case or it could be thrown out of court, aka CoI
-Nick wanting a few minutes alone with the guy to beat him up
-Nick confronting the guy, talking about how he's going to make sure the guy never does it to anyone else again,
-it can be a little bit CatNip but it's not a must. I would though like to see a little comfort-hug with him and someone, maybe with him crying.

Like I said, maybe it's better as a long fic than a ficlet...I'm thinking of trying to get my muse to cooperate on it myself.

-Team Christmas party
-Someone gets drunk, winds up with Ecklie under the mistletoe-and actually kisses him. Everyone else is horrified. Whoever it is wakes up the next morning totally horrified themselves and how everyone else reacts when that person comes into work.
-Gift exchange...darn wish I had some good gift ideas...
-someone wearing either antlers or a santa hat
-Grissom mentions setting aside some food scraps for bugs and someone else refers to it as bug Christmas dinner or something like that
-Someone making a remark about the lack of snow in Vegas and how it doesn't really feel like Christmas because of the warmer temps
-A remark about Vegas being decorated with lights all year around and that it ruins the effect of the house decorations

Thanks for the save, MacsGirlMel! :D I might have to advertise this thread in my signature or I’ll surely suffer some ‘holiday thread slump’. Your first suggestion is definitely great for a long story… but I don’t think I can tackle a long story - HOWEVER I still want to try to do it as a ficlet. I just hope I can do it justice.
So here I go. (And if you need a muse, or even someone to encourage you… ;))

Nick was always viewed as the most empathetic of the group. He felt for all the victims and their families; his recent case was tough enough without trying to balance professionalism and sympathy. He had to tell a mother that her child wouldn’t be able to see his eighth birthday. It was an unfortunate accident that put a damper on his night. He thought things couldn’t get any worse…

“Hey Nick, done with your case?” Catherine approached him in the hall, falling into step with him.
“Yeah. It was a tough one, let me tell you.”
“Can’t be as bad as the one we got. Seems like all of graveyard is working on this one.”
“No kidding?”
Catherine nodded and explained, “Got a guy who was caught disposing of a body. A small girl. He claims he found her, not trying to bury her.”
He nodded silently as he followed her into a nearby room. They were staring at the suspect in the interrogation room, behind one-sided glass.
Before Catherine could explain where they were in the interrogation, she realized Nick grew pale and tense. His fists were clenched and his eyes were wide in shock and possibly anger.
“Nick, what’s wrong?” her voice laden with concern.
“It’s him… I…” He didn’t say another word, opting to exit and storm into the interrogation room. She saw him grab the suspect by the collar and quickly rushed over to stop Nick from making a hasty mistake.
“Stop!” She grabbed him and watched the suspect drop down, yelling about police brutality. Brass appeared shortly and advised the two CSIs to leave.

Catherine pulled him aside, making sure they were alone before hissing, “What the hell is the matter with you!?”
“Give me five minutes alone with him Catherine.”
“Why!?”
“I recognize the guy… he didn‘t recognize me but… I know he’s guilty. I can’t let him get away with this.”
She shook her head in confusion, “You’re not making any sense.”
He took a few deep breaths before quietly responding, “Do you remember when I told you how there are some people you're supposed to be able to trust?
Catherine’s face was blank for a second before it quickly hit her. His baby-sitter… Nick was nine… she was the only one who knew.
“Your baby-sitter? But… what does this guy have do with her?”
“I never explained that… she had a boyfriend. He helped her baby-sit one day. I… can’t even bring myself to say it.”
The older CSI didn’t know what to say. What could she say?
“If I can’t get her, the least I can do is get him. All I’m asking for is five minutes alone with him.”
She closed her eyes tightly, summoning her professionalism.
“You know I can’t do that. In fact, you can’t even be on this case. Nick, you’re going to have to let us handle this.”
Even though he knew her hands were tied, he still vented his anger, “So I just let this go? Knowing what he did to me, and he’s just going to be let go? He could hurt someone else. I can’t let that happen!”
Catherine knew better than to say something. She just listened to him vent, looking at her friend in compassion.
“I’m sorry…” he seemed to calm down a bit, slumping own and resting his head in his arms, “It’s just… I feel helpless, you know? The same feeling I had back then; I couldn’t do anything because I was young, and naïve, and now I still can’t do anything, because I could jeopardize the case. My hands are tied.”
‘At least he understands,’ she thought to herself.
However, when she spotted Brass leading their suspect away, Nick shot up and strode towards the door.
“Nick?” She turned and followed him before he could do any more damage.
“Nick,” Brass warned the CSI.
“I just want to say something,” he said with steely distance, “You may not know me, but I know you, and trust me - I’m going to make sure you never hurt another child again, whether you‘re alone, or helping someone baby-sit. You got that?”
The suspect looked at Nick with confusion, then realization dawned on him when Nick mentioned ‘helping someone baby-sit’.
“You’re-”
“Get him out of here, Jim,” Catherine interrupted and glared at the man. She didn’t want Brass to know anymore than he had to.
“Sure. Let’s go buddy. You’re gonna be in holding for a while,” Brass led him away quickly, but not before the man sneered at Nick.

They stood their ground, watching the man get led away. Once they were sure he was out of sight, Nick bid a hasty retreat. Catherine debated if she should follow him, or leave him alone. She had to make sure he was okay.

In the safety of the locker room, Nick leaned against the wall and exhaled noisily. He felt his vision cloud over and tried to suppress the tears. He was a professional and he would not allow himself to break down at work.
It was no use. He quickly wiped away a few stray tears just as Catherine approached the locker room.
“Nick…”
“I’m fine.”
“You’re crying.”
He cleared the lump in his throat, and steadied his voice, “Just something in my eye.”
She reached over and wrapped an arm around his shoulder.
“Okay,” she didn’t probe any further; she just squeezed his shoulder and let him lean on to her. With renewed determination, she promised herself she would do whatever it took to lock this creep away.

Well, I changed my signature. Now I hope to get more viewers: if anyone reads this, maybe you could add a comment or suggestion of your own, please? :)
Anyway, my first holiday ficlet of the year is coming up next, this promises to be interesting! (At least I hope so! :p)

So this is my first Christmas request, mistletoe accident included! Yay! But there was no specific pairing. So I still wonder who'll request a mistletoe romantic ficlet. Hmmmm... Anyway, this was pretty fun to write (even the Ecklie getting kissed part! :lol:)
I hope you like what I came up with.

“The annual holiday party is in full swing, folks!”
Archie’s announcement prompted cheers and whistles from the lab. Everyone from graveyard seemed to be there, including CSIs and lab personnel.
While some of the lab technicians danced, others were content to hang out and talk or watch Hodges ‘bust out his moves.’

Three CSIs in particular were absorbed in a Christmas quandary.
“Is it just me, or does it not feel like Christmas?” Catherine asked, “I don’t know about you guys, but I always find it a bit odd without the snow. What about you? Is Christmas better with snow or without?”
“No snow in Vegas is always a certainty. Snow is unpredictable, and the last thing we need in this city is more unpredictability. Now, I grew up in Texas and we didn’t have snow there either. I’m actually more interested in why people here don’t have too many decorations,” Nick responded.
“Yeah, well being a Vegas kid, I don’t really care if there’s snow or not. Christmas is about being with friends and family,” Warrick addressed Nick’s query, “Besides Vegas is decked out in lights all year around. That kinds of ruins the effect of houses decorated in lights.”
Catherine agreed, “So I guess it was just me. Snow doesn’t make the holidays. People do.”
“Here, here!”
She continued, “I’ll tell you what, though, Christmas at the lab wouldn‘t be Christmas without Greg doing something crazy.”

As if on cue, Greg, always the jovial guy, walked by sporting some fake antlers on his head.
“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas, huh?” Nick laughed.
“Oh yeah.”

Meanwhile, Greg took it upon himself to spice up the yuletide songs by trying to convince Archie that Manson was not the worst choice for holiday music.
“Come on,” he prodded.
“No.”
“Just one track!”
“Who would dance to it?” Archie questioned, “Besides you.”
“I can get someone to dance with me.”
The AV tech/current DJ simply rolled his eyes, and challenged, “You get someone to dance with you to this, and I’ll play the whole CD.”
Greg grinned excitedly and rushed over to his fellow CSIs.

At that moment, Ecklie made his obligatory stop at the holiday party. Politics didn’t have to be all bad - especially when the egg-nog was spiked. He walked over to the table and poured himself a large cup.
“Conrad?” Grissom walked over to him, “I’m surprised to see you,”
“Yes well… “I just thought I’d stop by. Have some egg-nog. Did you come alone?” Grissom carefully avoided the question by mentioning one of his favorite subjects: bugs.
“I’m glad I came. We have so much food, I’ll probably end up bringing it home for my cockroaches.”
The mention of insects made Ecklie grimace, but he covered it up right after, “A regular bug Christmas dinner. How nice.”
Just as Grissom was about to respond, a loud blaring caught them all by surprise. The two scientists looked over at Greg rocking out to 'Personal Jesus'. What really caught their attention was Sara, who was rocking out with Greg, matching his head bobbing and jumping around while twirling her Santa hat.
As Grissom stared on in bemusement, Ecklie gave him the slip and started for the door. What he didn’t count on was being stopped by a giggling Sofia.
“Conrad, what’s the hurry?” She smiled, and placed a hand on his shoulder. It was more an attempt to steady herself, than a display of affection.
However, her next action seemed to be more of the latter.

She looked up at something, then faced him. With an almost lighting fast reflex she leaned in and planted a sloppy kiss on his stunned face. He figured it out when he looked up to see some mistletoe dangling a few feet above his head, and the smell the alcohol on her breath.
A huge, collective gasp, followed by some light chuckling was the first thing he heard. Then he saw a flash, which blinded him for a moment. He bid a hasty retreat, hearing laughter all the way out to the parking lot.

~~~~~~
“Oh God… I knew I shouldn’t have had that egg-nog.”
With a few muttered curses, Sofia woke up and got ready for work. Bits and pieces of the party came to her, and it wasn’t until she was driving to work that she remembered the end of the party. She almost caused a six car pile-up when she stomped on her brakes in horror.
“Oh no…. I must be hallucinating… even if I was drunk I couldn’t have!”

Sofia strode in the lab, her mind preoccupied when Brass spotted her.
“I can’t believe you came into work,” he gave her a look of half amusement, half surprise.
She had to ask, “Please tell me Ecklie was not under the mistletoe last night at the party.”
Brass shook his head pity, “You had a lot to drink.”
Now it hit her. She had kissed Conrad Ecklie in front of the lab and her fellow criminalists.
Greg and Archie walked in but quickly tried to leave when they saw Sofia.
“Hey! Wait,” she rushed over to them, “What happened last night? Why didn’t anyone tell me there was alcohol in my drinks?”
“We thought you knew…”
“Do you want the picture we snapped,” Archie offered.
“Picture?” Her eyes nearly popped out of their sockets, “There’s a picture!?”
“It’s the company Christmas card, now. We e-mailed it to everyone a minute ago” Greg responded weakly.
Sofia ran out of the room, hoping to find a way to stop the e-mail with the notorious photograph that Archie snapped.
“Should we have told her about the printed copies we posted in the break room?” Archie looked over at his fellow conspirator.
Brass couldn’t help but overhear the two. They all heard the loud, unmistakable scream of the blonde detective.
“Sounds like she found them, boys,” Brass cracked.

How was my attempt at a holiday ficlet? I always wondered how they can all have a party, do they have people cover the nightshift? Surely crime doesn't stop around Christmas! But even criminalists need to relax and party. Heh... I had to add the part where Sara and Greg rock out to Manson. Thank you Burn Out. ;)
Remember to post any comments, positive, negative, neutral, anything! Or suggestions. I take those too. :cool:

I loved it! Sorry again about the messed up reference (I was sure it was Burked but guess not) but it worked fine anyway :)

Back