"Fannysmackin" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Hot bloody damn.

That's four - count 'em, four episodes in a row where CSI has been absolutely and completely gripping. See what a little competition will do for ya?!

Another episode that didn't go completely according to formula. This time we pretty much knew who was doing the beatdown right from the beginning, and really, so did the CSIs - but they had to gather the evidence and put names and faces to those shadows. Nice work; I felt like I was walking each step of the investigation with them. The pacing was great - the hour raced along, and yet I felt like there wasn't a single character that I didn't get to see, or didn't get to see enough of. Nice use of everybody. Kudos.

Damn good characterization this time around too - and the best part about it is that we're getting so much of it, and we're seeing those investigators as people in a way that hasn't been on screen since the beginning of the series... and yet, they're not going outside the workplace to do it; even Catherine's storyline, personal as it was, was very much rooted in the following of a crime and gatherine evidence in one way or another. Anyway, we got another wealth of it in this episode as well.

I was spoiled for this episode - I stopped reading spoilers around 7.6 - and, you know, for once I think it worked in my favour. Knowing that Greg was getting a beatdown from the Animal Farm later on in the episode made Doc Robbin's recounting of the vic's wounds that much more dreadful. The editing during the actual beatdown was very well done - you felt like you were right in the middle of it, and yet there wasn't a truly graphic scene in there. But it was Greg, and that just made it worse.

Don't shoot me, Geek Lovers, but the Sandle scene was... really sweet. Sara looked so heartbroken - Jorja Fox really brought it. And Greg was so focused on the evidence, and in pain, and yet - well, Eric Szmanda has always played Greg as having a special rapport with her. Their chemistry really sold this scene, and made me realize that I've missed the kind of interaction they had in Season 5. In fact, if GSR hadn't been my first love, I think I coulda been a Sandler, no problem. Ah well - sure ain't tradin' in the GSR now, but this scene definitely made me think about what could have been. I hope we get to see these two interact more in future episodes.

And wow - did anyone see Greg as a "reluctant Mama's boy"?! Was that in the spoilers? At any rate, freaking ADORED how the writers took an aspect of Sanders that has been played up for years on the show - the fact that he was never into sports, despite being somewhat robust and not exactly coming across as a computer nerd or anything of that ilk - and came up with a reason for it. Amazing that he'd never told his parents he was out of the lab - and he looked so afraid, thinking about how his mom was going to react. And then later, watching the other mother weeping over her son - who freaking wrote this episode, anyway? All hail the writer! We're not worthy! And Eric Szmanda - my hat is off to you, sir. Damn fine job.

The other characters were great, too. Sara owned this episode... first being all sweet and thoughtful and sympathetic with the female victim, then putting the smackdown on that piece of canvas, then getting all verklempt over Greg, and the end scene - but we'll get to that. And the look of grief on Grissom's face when he walked into the hospital room and saw Greg totally got me. I thought he handled it wonderfully too - just listened to Greg talk, took everything in, was gentle and supportive and helpful. Totally ironic that the man finally learns how to be a supervisor now that he's schtupping a subordinate, huh?

Once again, Nick was totally in character - I have to say, it's really nice to see a character like Nick, who is so open and emotional and yet very much a man's man, and George Eads has such tight control over what he does - loved that look he gave once the Animal Farm showed up at the crime scene and dissed the victims. Then there's Warrick, who typically keeps his cool and yet manages to smack down Napoleon the pig anyway. I know that Gary Dourdan gets a bad rap for acting, especially in a cast of this caliber... but I thought he did a really good job this episode. And Brass with his list of "P"s was... perfect. Even Sofia, lazily chewing on the toothpick as she acidly listened to the two bozos who tried to cash in on the crime spree.... it was like there wasn't a single wasted action in this whole episode; every detail added to the plot or the characters or the themes. Just amazing. Again: who freaking wrote this script?

And man, I don't know if someone's been sneaking tamales or jalapenos into the water supply or what, but did everyone look absolutely smokin' hot this episode, or was it just me? My jaw dropped when I saw Grissom in the beginning - guess this is William Petersen's major weight-loss debut, huh? Somebody spank me! And while I always think Sara looks beautiful, she looked totally babelicious when kicking the crap out of the canvas. Nick never looks bad, of course, and when he goes all woobie (thanks, Smallville!) and emotional he's just that much more delicious.

And Warrick always make me salivate, of course... but when he purposefully strode away from Napoleon the pig, telling Nick now, boy, you know you can't do that through that glint in his eye? Homina homina homina.... And Greg looked so sweet and boyish and innocent in that suit, especially when he got all excited about getting to be primary, even if it was just to pick up a sweater.... *sniff* Aw, damn, Greggo, you broke my heart. And Sofia looked beautiful, I thought, when she and Brass talked to the bozos the first time, when they'd claimed to have been robbed. She looked a bit tired, and it was a good look for her - made her softer, somehow.

Finally: Locker Room Scene = LOVE. Has it really been "Unfriendly Skies" since we got that kind of interaction? Loved how we didn't know Grissom was there until the very end - it was like they were all freely talking because he was absent, then you realize that no, he really was there, and they've just jelled as a group like that and he's totally a part of them now. Thought that everyone's views on the matter were completely in character... except that I might have expected Grissom and Sara to say what the other one said, and I loved how that underscored what's going on between them without even having to hint at it, really. Ah, but it wasn't quite perfect... if only Greg had been there.... :( *sniffs again*

And nice freakin' twist on the "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" schtick and how everyone parrots it even though it's utter bullshit. So glad the show finally came out and said that. All those tourists coming to Vegas to get wild... and the horrible way kids get raised today... it was a disaster waiting to happen, really. Nice juxtaposition with the culprits waiting to get booked as the CSIs were lamenting the state of society. Those kids looked so bored... frightening, truly frightening.

Other thoughts:
---"Are you volunteering?" Yowza! Feel the heat!
---Aw, Nick - totally destroyed by the beatdown of his lovah! You smack up Kevin Federline, Nick! Nobody fannysmacks your boy... unless it's you!
---Grissom working the teacher mojo again with Hodges. Think there's a theme here somewhere?
---Catherine, you've got your faults, but I will always love how you manage to put an obnoxious suspect/witness in his/her place. Your comments on the bag (both of them; heh) were awesome.
---"Mickey Mouse club" - Brass, have my babies. Please.
---Liked the man that Greg saved, and that he told him to come around for a barbeque once he got better... especially since the scene with the mother and the dead assailant came right after it. Good God, somebody tell me NOW - who freaking wrote this episode?! I gotta know!!!

Wow, this was totally - this was classic, old-school, Season 1 CSI. All this, and "Alter Boys: Redux" next week too? Man, I haven't been so freaking excited for a season of CSI since... God, ever. I'm telling ya - CSI is bringing it. I am getting down on my knees and thanking God that Grey's Anatomy went up against CSI this season; I don't care if the show gets its ass royally kicked in the ratings all friggin' year. I'd far rather a #2 show of this kind of calibre than a #1 show that's completely and utterly MEH.

I completely forgot about Hodges in this one... I rather like Wallace as an actor, and it was nice to see him be in a scene in CSI without his character being annoying and such... felt like his character grew a little as well.

I am in awe as well, and in agreement with most of the things already mentioned.

Was that the family of the kid that got hit in the hospital at the end?

Brass and Sophia were funny

Guy: who's a cop?
Brass and Sophia: He is *point* she is *point* at the same time

Next week look interesting too. I also thought of AB.

What is the explanation for the night into day lapse between those two scenes?

I wonder if Nick will catch heat for hitting KFed's char...Warrick was wise trying to get him to cool it there. The guy did verbally provoke him but didn't try to get physical, so it'll be interesting to see, if they remember continuity that is lol.

I am trying to catch up on all the posts, so sorry if I'm repeating anything, this episode was as stellar as I thought it was going to be, and more painful to watch as well, in a way I'm glad that Greg doesn't carry a gun, if he did it could have been much much worse, and honestly, what happened to the kid, I know this may sound cold, but look at what he was doing at the time, not to say he deserved to die, but Greg did what he had to do. He was saving someone's life and just like Greg and innocent person not bothering anyone.

I won't even get into the beating, I hate seeing anyone get kicked, and it being Greg made it even worse for me, and even that next morning when he was still on the ground and couldn't open his eyes, that just sent chills.

Eric was excellent in this episode, it's just so good to see him show off his skills, other than the beating another scene that was hard was when Greg was telling Grissom about his mom and how upset she was going to be, trying to hold back those tears.

But thankfully he's walking and he's breathing, he's eating Jello, but Sara, I think Mexican food may just be a little too much at the moment for him. :) (I had to get some levity in there)

Plus Nick was totally pissed in this, Grissom was right in what he said, even Sara, at what point do people take responsibility for their own actions.

He had his little hosptial gown on and his robe too..you could tell he felt bad for the kid that died, it's Greg, that's a given, he's human and he's empathetic, but that guy's brother, I did not like the look he was giving Greg, on the one hand you can understand it, but on the other, no, I didn't like the implications (yes I know he'll be fine.}

Eric absolutely shined in this, he really did. And Greg is a hero!!

This was a veeerrry well done episode. I loved it! I agree that the chemistry between Sara and Greg was touching. What did he say? He could recognize that scent anywhere? Greg's my hero and I am glad we got to find out more about his life and they're giving him depth. Usually, I have a very strong stomache. I can't explain it, but something about this episode was making me queezy. I think it's because all along, I knew it was going to happen to Greg and then when it did, i basically cried.

Brass and Sophia were funny

Guy: who's a cop?
Brass and Sophia: He is *point* she is *point* at the same time

Maybe I'm simple, but this had me laughing for at least like, 30 seconds. lol.

This episode needed some levity, that part and the part about the "jewels" was a good bit of relief.

I really needed that because I'm sorry, I'm still thinking about Greg trying to crawl away, and then that next morning on the ground all by himself until Sara got there.

What was the jewels part again? I don't remember. And can't figure out why he'd lay there so long like that, or be left laying there, anyway.

I LOVED IT
I read all the way to MissDee, sorry but I have to agree with you on just about everything.. even the Sara/Greg chemisty since I am a shipper for neither GSR or Greg/Sara that was incredibly touching

the Brass/Sofia
are you a cop
he is.. she is... too funny :lol:

Nicky, hmmm love NICKY... yes, all agressive and full of emotions wanting to 'kick someones ass' and do the right thing
I am now TOTALLY in LOVE WITH CATHERINE... :)
she does always have a way of knocking down the perp
she rocked in this.. and the "I would if it were real" comment.. totally her :)

Grissom was very touching also trying to comfort Greg in the hospital

Which brings me to Mr Greg
I like him now alot, I wasn't so sure about his move out of the lab.. somehow I though he would loose his 'spark' but he is the same person just now a CSI, one of the team
Grissom obviously thought so to send him solo knowing that there are the suspects out there...
his spark and wit are still there, or it appeared to me when he was talking with Catherine about his court appearance

Sara was again very touching and compassionate towards Greg and I loved it when he said. " I know that Sidle scent" She wasn't offended by it.. they do have a great working chemistry together, I hope they go on cases more together now that he is a CSI

UMM YEAH, I think that's it...

Love it
yes MissDee sorry to keep quoting you.. :) it is like CSI was in the beginning season 1
Keep it going.. I was kinda leary about this upcoming season but if the episodes are like this one.. we have another great season of CSI to look forward too :D

Wasn't that the crack about Cath remarking about the girl's bag and the fact that it was a cheap knockoff. It's about the only think I can think of in terms of jewels. I could be wrong though.

Overall it was a great episode. Why do I get the feeling that CSIs are gearing up for sweeps? Just a feeling.

First and foremost. Eric deserves props. He was awesome tonight. I loved that Greg rushed to that guy's defense knowing the danger and still doing it. The part about his mom was interesting. Loved that Grissom showed up. ITA I wish we had seen this in GD with Nick. Eric really deserves to be recognized for this episode. I was so worried about Greg. The tension in the episode was incredible. Sidenote - Eric looked so hot and adorable in that tux. Very Kiss Kiss Bang Bang ( I think that was the episode last season when he flipped the hat.) I'm so glad that the show is using him.

Sara's concern for Greg was so adorable. I loved the concern on her face. The way that she rushed to him and knelt beside him and brushed his hair. The way she said she wasn't worried about the scene she came for him. Aah I could hear all the Sandles cheering. I loved it too.

Nick's anger was wow. He was ticked. He showed his concern as well. Maybe it was a little more concern for Greg :eek: I'm torn I like Sandles and N/G so both were fine tonight but I'll save more chat about that for the Shipper Forums. Loved watching Warrick pulling Nick back. I was wondering what had Warrick so ticked in the opening credits now I know the scene. Great acting by George and Gary.

Kevin Federline from all the spoilers I heard I wasn't to sure how he would be in this. He was pretty good. He can actually act. I was impressed.

Overall it was a creepy case. The kids had no remorse or anything. It added a whole other feeling for me for what starts in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Loved my little Yobling moment with Warrick telling Catherine that she's doing a good job raising Lindsey. I enjoyed that moment

The final chat at the end with all the gang in the locker room. Did anyone get the feeling or flashback to Grissom's lesson in Unfriendly Skies from Season 1. It had the same fell. They were all talking about their reactions and Grissom puts it into perspective. I had that final feeling about it.

Overall the writers did a really good job. Out of the three this week it's a toss up for me between CSI and CSI NY. I loved both episodes. Good job on both of them. Not sure which I liked more so I guess I'm just happy I got two great episodes this week.

That's all ( A long enough post I think lol)

Take Care,
Dayna

I felt this was a wonderful episode apart from Mr. Federline's unruly acting abilities. He's from Fresno, what can we say (and I was born in Fresno so I know what I'm talking about :lol:)? I actually thought he pulled off the snorting pig noises quite well :rolleyes:

Sara was absolutely spectacular in this episode and I loved the bit with Sara kicking the bag on the ground :devil:

The episode was interesting and kind of weird. I felt bad for Greg for getting beaten up like that. Bravo Nicky for putting K-Fed/Pig in his place and Warrick from keeping that situation from getting any worse.

Speaking of Greg's attack, he was practically alone with those punks. He called for back up before he was beaten. I don't understand why Grissom made him go solo. Weren't any of the lessons of 'Grave Danger'? I am pretty sure they have been, but this was a stupid lapse of judgement.

Greg should tell his parents that he is a CSI! They deserve to know that!

Star4CatESPChick said:
Speaking of Greg's attack, he was practically alone with those punks. He called for back up before he was beaten. I don't understand why Grissom made him go solo. Weren't any of the lessons of 'Grave Danger'? I am pretty sure they have been, but this was a stupid lapse of judgement.
Gil didn't send him to "that" scene. He was on his way to where Sofia was in the store that got robbed. He passed the gang beating the guy on the way to his scene. he stopped to try and help.

OK, here's my 10 cents on the episode:
A fairly decent episode (never a fan of DLA-written eps). My one complaint still remains: is it ever possible for Gil & Cath to look at each other any more? They don’t even get to talk to each other, either. This time, everything was said directly to Brass. They never had any dialogue between them. This is becoming extremely disheartening. All of the other characters had great interaction between them.

Loved the scene between Catherine & Greg in the lab. Greg looked mighty fine in his suit.

There were some great one-liners in this episode. The first one being Gil’s “You’re a big boy, Greg. You don’t need a wingman for this.”

Kick-a$$ Sara was cool as she was experimenting with the bloody shoes/bruises. Too bad Gil had to arrive and ruin a great scene.

An incredible job by Eric Szmanda in this episode. Although, I think they’re continually going way too far with all of these CSI-in-peril shows - especially coming off the Catherine stories from the first two episodes. It’s becoming ridiculous.

I liked the Sara/Greg scene when Sara arrives. This kind of caring scene that I miss from the early seasons.

Nick’s punching “Pig” was cute. A very appropriate name for K-Fed.

Sofia & Brass: Their “He’s a cop/She’s a cop” was so cute. Sofia’s character is growing on me. They’re finally finding a niche for her character. I just miss some of the other detectives these days. Where’s Vartann, O’Riley, Vega, or Cavalier?

Another great line is Catherine talking about Lindsey’s $300 phone bill! (Yikes!)

Did anyone notice Brass’ little “wiggle” when he’s interviewing Tara, after she puts out her arms as a signal to be cuffed. He does a little wiggle as if to say “whoopee!”.

Sofia & the shotgun! This was a great episode for kick-ass women, I guess. First Sara and her experiment, now Sofia & the shotgun.

Absolutely LOVED the locker room scene at the end. We haven’t seen them all together like that since the very end of the Season 1 finale in the diner. Some more great Cath one-liners here: “Pig and the piglets are in the pigpen”. and then “make me slit my wrists, why don’t you? I’m raising a teenager here!”

^ Oh my god! Someone else noticed the wiggle, too!? I was cracking up :lol: I always wondered why the suspects did that when they weren't going to give up their partners, and finally Brass makes fun of one of them :lol: :p

That was amazing!

I actually cried. First when Greg was being beaten and then again when he was talking about how his mother protected him.

Grissom saying that Greg's mom would be proud of his action made me smile through the tears. And Sara right at Greg's side was so sweet.

The very last scene with all the CSI's planing to visit Greg was perfect.

I love Greg, he is my hero!

p.s. i am now going to kill k-fed!!!!!

Back