Eric/Greg: Leggo Our Greggo Thread #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit that I thought it was good that they'd given Greg the honour of being the resident history buff and continued it through the seasons (although it still irks me that his book was just dropped and forgotten!) but the knowledge of his character just isn't consistent between writers. He's not been used to the fullness of his ability since he got out into the field and most of the time he's actually treated by the writers as "the lab tech with the crazy hair". There's so much more they could do with him but a lot of the time he's just-- kind of, there for the heck of it. Resident history buff, DNA expert, familiar with all kinds of sexual practices and fetishes, he even has interesting grandparents. He's been created as a wonderfully diverse character, but he's just not used enough! Eric needs to put his foot down and say "Now look here, Greg needs to be involved and challenged more, he's not just eye candy. Although he is pretty fine eye candy. Write him some well-thought-out, interesting episodes befitting to him!"

You know I actually read a CSI book recently that described him as having blue eyes. It annoyed me greatly.

You know I actually read a CSI book recently that described him as having blue eyes. It annoyed me greatly.

I see that in fanfics sometimes, and it annoys me.. but an actual authorized book?! Wow.. :rolleyes:

I too hope that Greg and the new guy build a good relationship. There are a couple of things going for that hope:
the new guy is a supervisor, so hopefully he'll be working with his entire team (not necessarily every case, but switching between them at least); he's also going to be more lighthearted, from what I've read, so his personality may mesh better with Greg's.
Greg has always been a fun guy, while Ray was usually very serious, so they probably wouldn't have meshed well anyway, even if they'd had more time together. After all, look at how they worked "together" in Death and the Maiden - each in a different room, talking to themselves, not each other.

I must admit that I thought it was good that they'd given Greg the honour of being the resident history buff and continued it through the seasons (although it still irks me that his book was just dropped and forgotten!) but the knowledge of his character just isn't consistent between writers. He's not been used to the fullness of his ability since he got out into the field and most of the time he's actually treated by the writers as "the lab tech with the crazy hair". There's so much more they could do with him but a lot of the time he's just-- kind of, there for the heck of it. Resident history buff, DNA expert, familiar with all kinds of sexual practices and fetishes, he even has interesting grandparents. He's been created as a wonderfully diverse character, but he's just not used enough! Eric needs to put his foot down and say "Now look here, Greg needs to be involved and challenged more, he's not just eye candy. Although he is pretty fine eye candy. Write him some well-thought-out, interesting episodes befitting to him!"

I completely agree with you. It is the writers fault that they don't use Greg to his full potential. They created enough backstory to be interesting but it has been dropped, except for the rare history of Vegas mentions, or a Papa Olaf mention (Notice that happened in a Zuiker episode).

I know what book you are talking about. I read it too and that made me furious. It obvious the guy never watched the show well or at least paid any attention to Greg's character. At least the newest book that just came out had some decent Greg story in it and seemed more like his character.

I completely agree with you. It is the writers fault that they don't use Greg to his full potential. They created enough backstory to be interesting but it has been dropped, except for the rare history of Vegas mentions, or a Papa Olaf mention (Notice that happened in a Zuiker episode).
Exactly! It seems the writers who know little about him don't use him, and the ones that do know about him are too busy concentrating on other characters, with the possible exception of Zuiker. Greg has such potential with his history and backstory to make for some amazing viewing but it's just never explored.

I know what book you are talking about. I read it too and that made me furious. It obvious the guy never watched the show well or at least paid any attention to Greg's character. At least the newest book that just came out had some decent Greg story in it and seemed more like his character.
Cool, could you tell me what's it called? I shall go and order it forthwith! :)
That book (I think it was In Extremis?) was clearly written by someone who had just been handed the brief sheet on Greg's character and had pretty much copied it word for word too. Blue eyes my arse. Unforgiveable!

The Burning Season is the name of the book. I just finished it yesterday actually. It is by Jeff Mariotte. He wrote a couple other CSI books already, ones that had Greg portrayed pretty good. And I can't remember which one had the blue eyes mention since I have read them all but I know it was one more recently.

Yep I want to hear whatever happened with his book and why is he carrying a gun here lately, these things don't even need to take up 5 minutes, a minute tops is ALL I'm asking and sadly it's probably asking for TOO much

Ray and Greg were different yeah, though they could have still been given a common interest like maybe they both liked the same tv show, Blue Hawaiian coffee, etc

OR maybe Greg could have read Ray's book and Ray could have read his, or Greg could have mentioned he wrote one but it didn't work out

I think having Anthony back helped Greg a lot this season, probably even Marg lessening her time too

OR maybe Greg could have read Ray's book and Ray could have read his, or Greg could have mentioned he wrote one but it didn't work out
See that would have been good! I think it's too much to ask though.

Thanks Dizzney, I'm on Amazon as we speak.
Edit: Grrr seems its not available in the UK yet. :(

Last edited:
I think the book would have been a good common point for them to share. Even if Greg's didn't get published, he could have asked Ray's advice on getting the book published or something, but they didn't even bother picking up his book again after Warrick's death.

Well the gun thing, I've given up on getting an explanation as to why he is suddenly carrying one.

I think it would have made more sense to have Greg carry a stun gun like some cops do instead of a regular gun lol. It would have made more sense with his character being as how he said there were already too many guns on the streets.

I think it would have made more sense to have Greg carry a stun gun like some cops do instead of a regular gun lol. It would have made more sense with his character being as how he said there were already too many guns on the streets.
Yeah that is true. I know locally they use stun guns a lot. But maybe the LVPD doesn't sure them at all and it is not an option for him.

Am I they only one, who still wondering wheter Eric's coming back?:lol: I know: if he's decided from the start to quit, we would have heard from it by now. But everything can happen in the negotiantions, right? All I want is an official word that he's coming back.:)

Well, I think Greg's got a better change at getting good screentime this season, than in season 9. When Ray came in, he was a newbie and the writers had to develob him to a leader in half a year.:rolleyes: But since the Dansons character is already a leader, they don't have to use so much time to develob him, but can go straight to his storyline. And that should give more time to the other characters. Right?

Plus, since there apparently isn't going to be any season long arcs this year, it should also give more time for characters to get their "own" episodes. Because as much as I would like Greg to have a longer storyline, I don't think he's going to get that.

Thanks Dizzney, I'm on Amazon as we speak.
Edit: Grrr seems its not available in the UK yet. :(

It is here :) Just ordered it for my Kindle!

Plus, since there apparently isn't going to be any season long arcs this year, it should also give more time for characters to get their "own" episodes. Because as much as I would like Greg to have a longer storyline, I don't think he's going to get that.

Yeah I hope he gets an episode, not one like last season that got too personal, but one that features him heavily and impacts on him.

I remember Eric once saying he would stay with the show until the end, of course that was years ago and he could change his mind, but why leave a steady paying job in this economy? Unless you got a better offer or can simply afford to. I have confidence he will be back.

Yeah hopefully they will better use this cast this season...maybe do A and B cases in each episode and that way everyone can get decent screen time.

So they supposedly start filming this week. It seems they always have already started filming by the time his birthday comes. Hopefully since it is on Sunday, he doesn't have to work. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back