Eric/Greg Leggo Our Greggo Thread #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really won't blame Eric if he leaves. I'll miss Greg terribly but I'll understand why he did it. As long as he doesn't get killed off, or Ms Mendelsohn will be most surprised to come home one night to find a truck has ploughed in to the side of her house...

I thought Gary left because of his personal and legal problems. That was what they said anyway. That they had to let him go because of his issues so he could have the time to get the help he needed or something. At least that's the way I understood it. I don't think the writers had that much trouble writing him or using him. He got some pretty big story arcs.

That was part of it but I think Gary had been planning to leave long before that because his character was going nowhere. The other problems I think came about afterwards. I could be wrong.

The lack of Greg in the past few seasons I would not have blamed Eric for leaving, but now that hes getting a bigger role I don't see that happening.

I have to say, I had a very different interpretation of the DR interview. I thought it was really clear that DR cares a lot about the character -- I get the feeling that the book and research on old Vegas was really Rambo's baby. The fact that he made it Greg's too is really cool. He definitely made it clear that it wasn't just a storyline designed to tease GS/ES fans, as he hadn't even known originally which character would be quite so involved. It just turned into Greg.

Also, it definitely doesn't sound like they're dropping the story line on the book; it sounds like Rambo just acknowledges that it's not going to be a bestseller. I don't think that even reflects so much on the quality of the book or writing -- Greggo just picked the wrong year to publish. One of the biggest publishing houses just announced that they are picking up zero new book projects this year, due in part to the shape of the economy and a lot to the state of the book world as a whole -- book sales have been plummeting for years. There are very few people like Langston who get to quit their day jobs and embark on book tours.

Overall, I was really enthused with the DR interview. I definitely think he's one of the best Greg writers. I've loved the old Vegas storyline, and the comments about Greg were very interesting. I never realized that the actors had as much of a role in shaping their characters. What he said about GE, WP, ES and JF's roles in crafting dialogue and sifting out their characters was really interesting.

I got most of that out of the David Rambo interview too, happyharper13. I think once he ssat down with Eric and got a better understanding of Greg he was able to write for him and has. The only part of that interview that bothered me was about how much he talked about all the other characters and what is in store for them but really he did not mention what was in store for Greg except more with Riley scenes.

Szmile!, I got the same erockster message too. They send it to all members. ;)
And about your exclamation point, you might want to go to the name thread change back and tell them you are missing it.

I still do not see Eric leaving the show before its end unless he gets a better offer elsewhere.

PS has my username lost its exclamation mark?! I'm sure I had one...
If you had your name changed to a holiday one, then more then likely when it was changed back it was a slip. There is a thread in the QSF forum just for this type of thing. All you have to do is go in there (if you haven't already) and let Bonz know and she will correct it, just give her the way it was before and specify that it had the ! in it. ;)

Psst to answer your actual question here is an old post that quoted you and you can see you did have one. :)

OK it's bugged for ages, tell me if I missed something. Greg has refered to Nana and Papa Olaf. It's said in "let the seller be ware" that his mothers maiden name is Hojem. He has also said Papa Olaf lost his hair and that Greg himself doesn't have to worry about that because it comes from the mothers side. How is his last name Sanders? :confused:

OK it's bugged for ages, tell me if I missed something. Greg has refered to Nana and Papa Olaf. It's said in "let the seller be ware" that his mothers maiden name is Hojem. He has also said Papa Olaf lost his hair and that Greg himself doesn't have to worry about that because it comes from the mothers side. How is his last name Sanders? :confused:

His mom married into the Sanders family, hence the maiden name being referenced. :)

Wait, I'm confused now.:lol: I always assumed Olaf was Greg's maternal grandfather's first name, not his last. I don't recall him ever saying "Nana Olaf". I thought he said either just "nana" or "Nana Hojem".

Also, it definitely doesn't sound like they're dropping the story line on the book; it sounds like Rambo just acknowledges that it's not going to be a bestseller. I don't think that even reflects so much on the quality of the book or writing -- Greggo just picked the wrong year to publish. One of the biggest publishing houses just announced that they are picking up zero new book projects this year, due in part to the shape of the economy and a lot to the state of the book world as a whole -- book sales have been plummeting for years. There are very few people like Langston who get to quit their day jobs and embark on book tours.

Of course we can't call it as dropping. This storyline just can't be increased in future too much. And I really like your interpretation for it. Maybe we'll hear something like that one day in the episode. Would be really cool and a good step.

I always had problem with Nana Olaf. 'Cause Olaf is a male name, very popular not only in Scandinavia, but in Poland too. Names can be surnames in Scandinavian languages like Larsen or Larsson (name - Lars). More suitable would be Olafsson or Olafssen, but well. It's for me a bit annoying 'cause I was learning Scandinavian languages and I can be about it a bit fussy, lol.

He called her Nana Olaf in "Spellbound." I always thought Olaf was a first name too until that ep. It is possible the writers just made a mistake and were not really thinking clearly when they wrote him saying that. I think he should have said Nana Hojem too, but oh well.

I always thought the name Olaf was male too, but I just put it down to me not knowing much. I thought he meant it as a surname when I was watching though, something about the way he said it. I don't know, i don't make sense often ;) I put it down to the flu

I really enjoyed the interview, of course aside from the vague hint there may be sth going on between Greg and Riley in the future but I hope he was just teasing people ;)

Of course we can't call it as dropping. This storyline just can't be increased in future too much. And I really like your interpretation for it. Maybe we'll hear something like that one day in the episode. Would be really cool and a good step.

I still hope we'll get to see Greg’s book, I'd love to see him bounce into the break room and announce it will be published, and maybe later they'd show Cath or Nick reading it, with Greg hovering around :lol:
Not to mention, I’ve always thought Greg would dedicate his book to Warrick, and that's something I really wanna see. I can wish :lol:
anyway, I so hope the book plot is not dropped.

lol, I don't know much about Norwegian names, but that discussion is interesting :lol:

I'd like to give the writers the benefit of the doubt on this one, and assume that Greg's names for his grandparents aren't quite so formal. I know a lot of people have strange names for their grandparents, since they come up with names at such a young age. I'd guess that Greg just started calling his grandparents Nana and Papa Olaf at a really young age, before he could really make the connection that Hojem was their last name and Olaf was the first name. Or, perhaps, still thinking along those lines, his grandparents' last name really is Olafsen or something like that, but Olaf was easier for a toddler Greg to say, and is, as a result, what he stuck with. I mainly say this because I know my family abounds with strange names for grandparents. You can check http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/grandparents-nicknames.htm to see just how much variety there is in grandparent names.

Wasn't Olaf the name of the troll ex-boyfriend of Anya's in that one Buffy ep? :lol: I think he was a "troll". :lol: I'm pretty sure he has an "O" name. :lol:

Anyway, I wish the writers wouldn't confuse us. Maybe we could write Rambo and ask him. maybe he could clear this up for us. :lol:

Maybe Hojem was intended to be Nana Olaf's maiden name, not Greg's mom's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back