Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Apr 18, 2010.

1. mjszud

mjszud Captain

No darlin', not necessarily true. People are spinning it to look like that episode brought in alot of viewers, it DID NOT! For one, 'Miami' barely beat 'Castle' this last episode -- secondly, 'Miami's ratings for the past few seasons were fairly steady at around 13 mil -- this last episode was ONLY around 11. So there was no sky-rocketing going on at all, 'Miami' is at an all-time low in ratings & has been since mid-season.

2. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree that we're not talking about a "sky rocket" in the ratings for "Backfire". CSI Miami beat Castle by less than a million viewers - a lot less views then they used to have when compared to Castle.

Whether is was Rodriguez appearing after being absent for a while (doubtful), the expectation of a heavy E/C episode because Rodriguez was returning (doubtful but possible), or a result of the much more heavily promoed than normal "Calleigh on her deathbed" again scenario that brought the views in (probably), who knows for sure. If I wasn't a regular viewer and someone told me there was a good chance they were going to kill Calleigh off, I'd watch to see it.

I think realistically CSI Miami and Castle will continue to roll back and forth ratings wise. CSI Miami is truly showing it's age and Castle is new and fresh and picking up speed when it comes to viewers.

CSI Miami shows strong signs of returning to the same tired, repetitive old stories they been assaulting us with for the last 4 seasons. It's up to the fans to decide if they are going to be gullible enough to keep accepting the crap we're being served and say, "Thank you. More please!" or if we'll respect ourselves and the characters on this show that we all care so much about and say, "Enough. Either show me something new and original that is indicative of the level of respect that I as a long-time viewer, and the actors who work their butts off portraying these characters, deserve or I'm outta here!"

I think the ratings are down because it's a natural part of the aging process for any show that's been on the air for eight seasons. But I also believe that a lot of fans are simply tired of the empty promises (back to basics my eye!) and the same tired stories that focus on the same two characters to the exclusion of everyone else.

3. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

You know that would explain a lot. The way it was being said made it seem that they well, "sky rocked" and creamed Castle. If they BARELY beat them than that would make a LOT more sense, because I didn't think the episode was THAT great. :lol: Thanks for the clarification! :)
    Too bad not everyone thinks that way, but I have to say this pretty much sums up what I've been thinking about this show for the past, I dunno 3 seasons. Too bad the writers don't see this, if they did Monday nights would become much more enjoyable. :rolleyes:

4. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

I'm not sure where that came from; the notation is reversed. It more accurately should read: "Castle" has only beaten "CSI Miami" twice. Both times, "CSI Miami" ran a repeat while "Castle" ran a highly touted new episode. "Castle" has gained some momentum in this, it's first, season, while "CSI Miami" is keeping pace but, ending it's 8th season, the entire "CSI" franchise is faltering. Still, "CSI Miami" has remained ahead of "Castle" over the season.

5. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

:lol: At least I could cope with the fact that being a spirit she could wander at the crime scene with a nice white suit :guffaw:

Actually that would be.....realistic, can't do that, if you are an author for this show :lol:

Oh boy. I think that from this POV their relationship was the best one. I mean they certianly had some serious moments, but they certinaly know how to have fun :lol:. Too bad that Jake has always been used as a puppet for their E/C game :rolleyes:

Actually I'm quite sure that Cal left AMA by lunch time :lol:.One of the last episodes I watched before "Backfire" was 8x04 - "In Plane Sight": when H & Tripp talked to the widow for the second time in that day, I swear I captured her face while she was waiting them and in a captation game I would have made her say something like "come on!!!! It's lunchtime and I'm still here :rolleyes: ", she had the typical face and I'm quite sure that they solved the case by noon :guffaw:. The timeline on this show is simply ridiculous!!!! So the fact Calleigh may have left AMA by lunchtime wouldn't strike me as a surprise...at all :rolleyes::lol:

As for Miami beating Castle, I think most of it is due to the fact that, many people love AR, whatever he does. I think it's quite impossible to deny it....I mean after all they signed that petition to bring him back even if they were incited by him!!!! I don't know why they like him so much, but most people who watch the show enjoy his presence. The fact he came back in this episode lead many people to watch this episode even if they probably knew it was gonna be a such a crap. Also lots of people actually enjoyd it.....I really struggle understanding how it is possible, but lots of people enjoy it :shifty:. Also "skyrocket" is a very strong term to define what happened on Monday. He beat Castle, but it certianly wasn't that great as some people tend to say.

As for Castle, I don't think that it's that new as a show, but Miami has grown old in a very short time. It's aging and people are currently stop watching it. I mean it used to have more 13 millions of fans every Monday......now the figures I'm currently seeing almost reach 11.5 millions people (top rating). For god's sake some episode didn't even reach the 10 millions viewers. This must mean something!!! AR's fans will certainly their best to keep watching it, but at some point everyone will surrender and people will stop watching the show for good.

6. alexa

alexa Witness

she may? she left her room in hospital by the end of the day! maybe not all cases, of course! but most of miami cases are solved in just one day!

the best one in the worst relationship ever!:guffaw:
    i'm not J&C big fun but on that time I could see csi:m and laugh! now I can't find anything funny!
    supposedly:rolleyes: they (E&C) were best friends and now what?
    that woman at the end of two years she can only say "it keeps happening" :wtf:... for me they are best friends with benefits!:drool: (dude if i have Adam rodriguez as best friend i would not mind if "it's keep happening":lol::rolleyes:)
    I would also be super worried if something happens to my best friend because he thinks he is Clark Kent:shifty: (a crazy, psychotic and neurotic version of CK) and enter into a fire without any protection!

I'm writing this very quickly if it is too confusing let me know!

7. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I think it's according to your perspective. "Castle has only beaten CSI Miami twice," is a positive perspective in line with, the glass is half full as opposed to the glass is half empty. I'm the first to admit that I struggle to find positive aspects to this show for the last 4 seasons - with the exception of the beginning of this season which showed some real promise. We'll have to wait for the entire season to play out to see if that promise is fulfilled.
    ===========================================
    EDIT: I just re-read what you said, Inthewind and I think I interpreted your meaning incorrectly above in my response above. I see what you're saying now. It was unique that Castle beat CSI Miami not unique that CSI Miami beat Castle.

Although I don't believe the Castle wins were up against CSI Miami re-runs. I'm pretty sure they were original run CSI Miami episodes. I'd have to look back to be sure and I don't have the time right now. I'll try to check that later this weekend!
    ===========================================

While Castle has steadily gained viewers, CSI Miami has steadily lost viewers - as has the entire franchise. Maybe viewers are tired of the concept that was once so unique and original, but now has gotten tired and old - kind of like a house deteriorates without regular maintenance and updating.

I still believe that the ratings are going to suffer as TPTB continue to pursue the E/C storyline. The fact that Rodriguez is back may have caused some viewers to start watching again, but as more and more of the audience realizes that his return simply means that the show will continue to stagnate, and even slide backwards, the ratings will continue to reflect audience discontent.

Those who enjoy Rodriguez and what he brings to the show (a continuation of E/C is all I can see) and left when he did may come back. But I believe you will start to see those who are bored and realizing that the TPTB's promises of getting back to basics is just smoke and mirrors, leaving.

CSI Miami isn't the winner simply because it's CSI Miami any longer. It's past time for TPTB to take it's audience for granted. ABC has a serious contender with Castle and if CSI Miami backpeddles like it appears they are going to in season 9, I think you'll see it lose to Castle much more than twice next season.

I think Rodriguez' return probably is responsible for some people watching who walk away from the show if he isn't there because they want to see his character and/or the E/C nomance.

There are multiple reasons why I just don't like Eric anymore and the melodramatic flavor he brings to the show. The basic character flaws that I could overlook in the past I can't seem to overlook now because with E/C they seemed to have become so exaggerated it's too difficult to reconcile the childish and imature behavior I'm witnessing with a character who is supposed to be a trained professional who should excel in stressful situations.

I certainly wouldn't want a law enforcement officer who finds it so hard to control himself in a stressful situation coming to my assistance in an emergency. Eric has always been a screamer with a horrible and quick temper.

But I think that the hyped up promos for "Calleigh on her deathbed" are more responsible for the limited increase in ratings with this episode than anything else. The "CSI in jeopardy" card always seems to work for pulling in those who have strayed and casual viewers who don't want to miss it if they actually kill off a character.

As for the petition, I strongly believe that was based upon the fact that without Rodriguez the E/C nomance is history. So you have two factions working together to bring about his return, Rodriguez fans and E/C fans - both with a vested interesting in that character remaining on the show.

Castle is not a unique premise for a show, I agree. But the presentation on that particular show, and the very engaging cast headed by two extremely attractive stars with over-the-top chemistry, is a lot more pleasing to watch then a tired old storyline with two people who have absolutely no chemistry fumbling around trying to make what is nothing but two people have sex - bad sex from what it appears - look that the epic love affair of the century. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  8. greatfan

greatfan Captain

The ratings have been all over the place this season.There have been several episodes with higher ratings than Monday's episode,and these were without Adam."Miami We have a Problem","Show Stopper" and and a few more reached the 13 million plus mark without Adam.The ratings Monday were consistent pretty much with the season's average,11 million+.There was certainly nothing ratings wise to indicate Adam's return affected the ratings much at all really.Quite a few episodes are in the 11 million plus range,I believe one in the 10 million plus of the first run episodes.Reruns were lower.Monday's night rating was no ratings bonanza or huge surge,it was a little higher than one of the newer episodes that ran before it.The show ,like all shows across the board has decreased viewers.Even with Adam's return there will probably still be a continued decrease.The show is aging,the writing I won't say anything about,the nomance is one of the most boring storylines in the history of TV.People may return because of E/C and Eric,but people will leave also,because of E/C and Eric as well as other factors.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  9. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

And I think the sad part about this whole thing, is no matter what happens 1/2 of the fanbase will be disappointed and/or stop watching. That's how much this "romance" has divided the fanbase. :( If my previous post made it sound like I personally believe that AR is responsible for the ratings going up, please believe me when I say I do not think that way. I was mainly confused as to why the ratings go up in his particular episodes, but the way mjszud and Delynn explained it I understand that it didn't "sky rocket" it just barely beat it. On the other forum I post at the way people were reacting it made it seem that the ratings "sky rocked", but now I know they didn't which makes more sense. Righty-o I am finished that part of my post. ;)
    True, true very true. The part I find kinda sad is that somehow the complete episode summary (and a detailed one at that) was found and therefore proved to the audience that Calleigh survives (oh what a surprise :rolleyes:) and that she is in the next episode. But, the near death situation, like always, draws in a lot of viewers. *sigh* It kinda seems like TPTB is relying on putting Calleigh and Delko into these near deaths situations just to keep the ratings up. Well listen to us writers, that won't always work, so could you come up with some original ideas please? And make it soon before you loose a lot more fans then you're gaining. :scream:

10. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I agree. While life-threatening situations are good at drawing attention, when it's the same 2 characters over & over again it becomes tiresome & ridiculous. Since season 5, Eric and Calleigh have both been hospitalized twice each (no one else on the show has) & all 4 times it's overdramatic & near-death --that isn't entertaining, no matter how hard they try & spin it to look different (like this last one making her a ghost).

I could have appreciated this episode had it been a different character & not so dramatic (flatlining & all that garbage) --& I don't mind the 'ghost' concept incorporated into this type of show as long as it is meant to be humorous -- Ryan or Natalia hitting their head at a crime scene & thinking they were communicating with the dead would have worked better, imo.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  11. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

That's been me right here. I could bear the characters becoming one-dimensional. I could bear the increasingly hokey storylines. But when I found out Adam Rodriguez was coming back full-time for S9, combined with a possible spoiler about my REALLY favorite character, I threw in the towel. I watch the new ones only if there's going to be a character I like.

I loved the old Eric and the old Calleigh. Funny, even friends of mine who are just casual watchers say "You know, the old Miami is so much better."

12. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

So i found this article about EP wanting to be pregnant and as usual I rolled my eyes and was about to close it when I decided to read the comments. To my surprise about 95% of the comments were people saying exactly what we have said here. I actually had no idea there were that many people who did not approve of the E/C storyline. It kinda puts a little hope in the situation, but I feel that the writers won't learn anything anyways and definitely won't improve... I apologize for that random post and I just saw that article now and thought I'd share that idea with you all :lol: feel free to skip over this post :p

13. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:pNo surprise. The vast majority of viewers disapprove of E/C; many were for it in the beginning but have become nauseated. Had it been handled more effectively, without consuming the entire show to the detriment of the rest of the cast, their argument might have some validity.

:scream:The problem is the pro E/C fans are far more vocal and, for the most part, younger. They're the ones who post on multiple boards, send letters, and comment to Emily and Adam. The actors think ALL their fans are in agreement, without checking out the dissenters, and TPTB want that younger audience. Besides, it's a no-brainer to write another inane script to accommodate this nomance. Decision made. Case closed.

:wtf:You'll notice the Pro E/c ers now have another thread. The Pro E/C ers are also the ones who come to this thread, specificially set aside for dissenters, and then want to argue their point. How many dissenters have ever gone into their shipper thread, knowing they'd disagree with everything being said, just to argue with them? Pointless.

14. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

In the article you read, was EP wanting to get pregnant or EP wanting Calleigh to have a baby? just curious if she wants a child then that's her choice but if she wants Calleigh to become a mom, well that's another story

I was going to mention that you guys had competition. As long as both sides keep to themselves, I don't have a problem and I doubt anyone else would

15. greatfan

greatfan Captain

^^

It was Emily wanting to have a baby and she thought it would work in the show as well.