Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Apr 18, 2010.

1. mjszud

mjszud Captain

:rolleyes: I would love more than ANYTHING to have something else to talk about on this board!! Give me a flippin' break. If there were decent storylines with OTHER characters, trust me, this board would be far more active than it has been lately.

2. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't there SIX other character on this show plus lab techs?! I maybe way off (and it wouldn't be the first time:rolleyes:), that the grand total of the hipphuggers is a very small percentage of the total viewers and if they left, there would still be plenty of viewers. And happy ones at that because no more fluff and maybe it is back to the crimes and science.

3. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

What concerns me is that some fans of the "unwanted romance" will use the low ratings as an argument for why it should stay. Truth is ratings for the enter CSI brand are down as I think viewers are growing tired of the series as a whole and not because certain characters aren't featured as much this season.

4. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

You're not wrong, MiamiWolfe!

I suppose it's possible that after tonight's episode we'll have some idea of where they're going with this whole nomance. The problem is I don't think THEY know where they're going with it and that's why they keep dragging it out. Unfortunately a large number of the audience are the ones suffering for their inability to make a decision.

I, for one, would totally and completely support any move to spin Eric and Calleigh off on their own. Really. Let's see if what a lot of their fans believe is correct. Let's find out if they are the sum total of everything good on CSI Miami. If they are they should be able to keep a show of their own in the top 20 - and leave the other characters on the show to get back to business - no sweat! ;)

I'd like to see what would happen - but I wouldn't be watching it.

You're right, CSI-AJ. Ratings are down across the board for the entire franchise. Truth is there's been no real affect on the ratings when E/C is featured - good or bad. The reaction is indifference. I think too much damage has been done for anyone but a very few of us to even care anymore.

5. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:wtf:If we're going to use loss in ratings as a determining factor in the presence/absence of a particular character or storyline, we should consider that ratings for CSI Miami began their descent around the time of the accelerated Eric/Calleigh arc. I'm just saying................

6. Court

Court Prime Suspect

You make a valid point there, and the truth is in the evidence, isn't it? ;)

Personally, I'm am going to try and watch tonight's episode with an open mind (and an open bottle of wine), but there is only so much E/C crap I can take - even with a chaser of chardonnay. Part of me hopes and prays TPTB are finally recognizing our discontent and will bring a real end to this E/C stuff, but I also know I may be overly optimistic on that front. :rolleyes:

Here's to keeping our fingers crossed ...

7. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

I personally have no problem with a romance, except for how they've gone about it. There was Horatio/Yelina and the Horatio/Yelina/Stetler love triangle, but they worked the romances into the show, not the other way around.

Just an observation, but it seems to me like they dumbed down Delko right about the time this romance got into full swing. Not good at all. IMHO they could have made it work better in the early years, when the characters weren't so one-dimensional.

I hate to imagine they brought Jake on board ONLY for a love triangle. Johnny Whitworth did a great job.

Personally, I would've given it much more credibility had Adam Rodriguez stayed gone from the show. Yes, Stetler did the perfunctory investigation, but somehow I think the writers did it like "Oh, well, we don't want the audience to think they're getting away with breaking the rules."

Call me pessimistic, but I get the feeling it's going to be the same old same old in S9. Thanks but no thanks. :scream:

8. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:scream::scream:Several scenes in tonight's episode should prove beneficial for those trying to lose a few pounds. It will be quite some time before I'll be able to take solid food without encountering regurgitative spasms.

9. Court

Court Prime Suspect

:censored:

"Backfire" started out promising, but went south the second Delko showed up, IMO. This ep is a perfect example of how unnecessary the E/C relationship is, as it could have been removed from the storyline as a whole and it wouldn't have been missed from the episode. In fact, despite the fact that we actually got to see Ryan for more than 20 seconds and we got to see Natalia at all, the "romance" tanked the whole thing for me. "Backfire" completely soldified my belief that the writers and TPTB are going to keep forcefeeding us this boring, cheesy E/C "romance" at the expense of what was once a great television show. :brickwall:

10. slower

slower Lab Technician

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I still :rolleyes: at these two tonight. I especially wanted to throw something at the screen when Delco was in there when Calleigh crashed. What a nuckle head. I am getting to where I can't stand this character more and more. :(

11. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Yep. Kinda of figured that's what it would be. :rolleyes: I won't be wasting an hour of my time watching. I'll delete it from my DVR when I get home.

Looks like if you like E/C drama it was the best episode ever! If you don't, it left something to be desired. I understand that line of thought. I thought Dishonored was over-the-top exceptional and that David and Evan were outstanding. People who are not fans of David/Horatio were less thrilled. Different strokes for different folks.

I salute those of you with strong enough stomachs to sit through what, IMO, is always too much over-the-top drama when it comes to Eric and Calleigh.
    [​IMG]
    I was actually surprised and pleased at my lack of curiosity last night. Wasn't tempted to check it out for even for a second. :)

At least I know next week's episode is good - we get to see Natalia and it's an episode ABOUT Natalia and what she brings to the show not an episode that just brings her character in to convince us how much more important someone else's character is supposed to be. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

It wasn't that bad actually. There weren't that many e/c scenes. The rest of the episode was pretty good. Ghost-Cal thinking everyone was ignoring her was kind of funny. And her thinking that she was going crazy cause she saw the ghost kid. I could have done without the very last scene, but it still wasn't that bad. It didn't make me wanna puke or anything. It wasn't syrupy sweet. It was just a hug. Cal felt like she knew the kid and she was sad that he died so she needed a hug. Didn't seem like a big deal to me. :lol: I was expecting more syrupy stuff. Thankfully we didn't get that.

The rest of the episode really was rather enjoyable I thought. :shrugs: My main complaint is that Eric was allowed to stay right there at Cal's bedside while the docs are working on her. That's BS. If they didn't make him leave the room altogether, they would have at least made him move to the very back of the room. There's no way in the world they'd let him be in their way like that. That was ridiculous.

If you don't watch the ep, you should at least try to find some of the scenes on you tube. Jesse and Walter were funny.

13. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Thanks for giving me your take on it, GNRF! I just know I won't be able to stomach the E/C drama to get to the moments with the other characters.

Searching for clips on YouTube is an excellent idea! I might just see if I can find the Jesse, Walter and Ryan moments! It appears they were pretty good, like always! ;)

Unfortunately Natalia's rare appearance seems to have been intended only to show her concern for Calleigh. To me that's almost insulting to that character who has been ignored for much too long. So I'll skip Natalia scenes in this episode and wait for her episode next week.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Nat had one scene with Ryan and a suspect that was good. Made me chuckle. :) Ryan's scene with Tom in this ep was actually pretty good thank goodness.

15. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Thank you! I really do appreciate the heads up! :)

I'll see what I can find.