Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

I don't care if it's only a "short" scene or whatever - short scenes can be really powerful or can really ruin a show. All these "short" E/C scenes put together probably add up to more than they did on Ryan's personal life for the past five years. I used to like Calleigh a lot, and Eric was just "ok" to me (I hated his hypocritical and egotistical attitude), but now I can't stand either of them. I'm hoping somehow Cal can be redeemed, but now that Eric's (miraculously!) back full-time, I doubt that will happen.
This is exactly how I feel :thumbsup:

The "prodigal son" one must be the best and the most-fitting I've ever heard about the guy :shifty:

Training wheels, maybe. I'm getting a sadistic vision of Adam Rodriguez wearing a party hat and riding around in circles on one of those red tricycles. Maybe that's what the E/C storyline reminds me of.

I take issue with tptb calling him a "prodigal son". According to the Bible (at least the one I read), the REAL prodigal son CAME TO HIS SENSES! The REAL prodigal realized that he had done wrong and disgraced himself and his family. HE HUMBLED HIMSELF!! He went back to his family with the hope of being taken in like one of the hired servants (It would be like Adam coming back and asking to be hired back as part of the cleaning crew). Believe it or not, I'd have respected him had he done something like that, but I get the feeling this just isn't done in Hollywood.

As near as I can figure, Adam doesn't think he's done anything wrong. He just didn't get enough money, so when Ugly Betty didn't pan out, he mobilized his army of fans to demand that he come back, and now, instead of skulking back, he's looking forward to the red carpet being rolled out and being the new "star". :angryrazz::censored:
Well according to the Bible the prodigal son asked his father to give him his share of the estate. He also went away to try and make a fortune....only he wasted both time & money and then he came to his senses and came back.

Adam wanted something TPTB never gave him, he wanted to make a fortune b/c he wasn't satisfied w/ what he had been given. Too bad that he didn't make it or, better say, the show was in. Unfortunately he never came to his senses (otherwise he woudln't have started and asked his fans to make him come back and so on and so forth), but yes he came back all "humbled" to the show :p

So yeah I think that the "prodigal son" image fits him more than we would normally think. He left the show hoping he would find anything better....when he didn't find what he was looking for help to his fans

Last edited:
Thank you so much. It's always nice ot hear this especially when I know people will say "oh here she comes again w/ the same old bullet in the brain story"....I know it may be boring 'cause it's been years I've been saying such a thing, but I know what I'm talking about and I know that it is crazy for a man with a bullet in the brain
1) to survive
2) to work
3) to dive
This is absoulutely insane, if you consider it all happened in a show named CSI....for what? Jut in the name of a fictional couple's love :rolleyes::rolleyes: thank but this isn't absolutely my cup of tea :rolleyes:

During Bolt Action, Eric made some comment on the bullet fragment shifting in his brain and I wondered how was this guy up and moving around?!! Your list Flo, just makes it so clear how ridiculous this really is. Is that what their love is based on, altered brain chemistry caused by bullet?!! Hmmmmm.......

My fav. episode so far is 8x04 "In Plane sight"....guess who wasn't in there???? Uh yeah Adam Rodriguez. There was what I call the team spirit.....some of the scenes were quite funny (whenever I think about Ryan & Jesse playing rock-paper-scissors I have to laugh out loud) some others were less funny, but in there I saw something really new especially between Ryan, Jesse & Walter.

I enjoyed the Eric-less eppies so much more. More humor, more of everyone else and yes, more team spirit. And most important not having to suffer through an E/C momemt.

the last spoilers I've read confirm what my gut feeling has been telling me ever since I've learned about his return :rolleyes:

It ain't going to end people. Has anyone seen the promo touting CSI:M's move to Sunday? Along with quick shots of everyone is E/C staring goo goo eyed at each other. Nope, it will go on and on and on......

Totally hear what your saying, Florry. I'm so sick of CSI:Miami trying to make Eric out like the "golden boy" and Ryan out like the "fink" - and now they're even using Calleigh to do that :wtf:

I would love for once to see Eric get in trouble and actually have it stick. And this Ryan-in-trouble-and-at-odds-with-everyone is SO old. That is what I loved about the Eric-less eppies; no conflict and Ryan just part of the team and one of the gang. With Eric back full time, I can certainly see it returning to the same boring tired storylines and conflicts. That is what Erica Stykes reappearance says to me:brickwall:

I don't care if it's only a "short" scene or whatever - short scenes can be really powerful or can really ruin a show. All these "short" E/C scenes put together probably add up to more than they did on Ryan's personal life for the past five years. I used to like Calleigh a lot, and Eric was just "ok" to me (I hated his hypocritical and egotistical attitude), but now I can't stand either of them. I'm hoping somehow Cal can be redeemed, but now that Eric's (miraculously!) back full-time, I doubt that will happen.

I hear you!! Also, those "short" scenes poorly placed can ruin the flow of an eppie. WISC is a perfect example of all of these points. Everyone else, especially Ryan has been short changed in favor of those increasing "short" E/C scenes. And it seems it won't end anytime.

Thank you so much. It's always nice ot hear this especially when I know people will say "oh here she comes again w/ the same old bullet in the brain story"....I know it may be boring 'cause it's been years I've been saying such a thing, but I know what I'm talking about and I know that it is crazy for a man with a bullet in the brain
1) to survive
2) to work
3) to dive
This is absoulutely insane, if you consider it all happened in a show named CSI....for what? Jut in the name of a fictional couple's love :rolleyes::rolleyes: thank but this isn't absolutely my cup of tea :rolleyes:

During Bolt Action, Eric made some comment on the bullet fragment shifting in his brain and I wondered how was this guy up and moving around?!! Your list Flo, just makes it so clear how ridiculous this really is. Is that what their love is based on, altered brain chemistry caused by bullet?!! Hmmmmm.......
I actually forgot that. Thank you for reminding me how stupid & crazy this storyline is :lol:

It ain't going to end people. Has anyone seen the promo touting CSI:M's move to Sunday? Along with quick shots of everyone is E/C staring goo goo eyed at each other. Nope, it will go on and on and on......
Unfortunately I saw that too but since in a couple of hours I'm leaving for a week at least I'll have the opportunity to get over it

Anyway you said it all :thumbsup:

See y'all next week once I'm back :cool::p

Gimme a break, I just ate lunch.

Wonder if we're gonna have another cutesy-poo scene like In the Wind. Will Calleigh ask him whether he's wearing his wire before she pulls his shirt off? (Man, the anti-E/C wheels are turning in my fanfic imagination!:devil:)

Wow such great posts! I agree with slower, you should all copy and paste your comments into the CBS feedback. Hopefully if enough people send good, well supported feedback about this romance, maybe they'll do something about it? Well, I can always dream at least. :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Florry86:
1) to survive
2) to work
3) to dive
This is what I find completely unbelievable about this storyline. Eric gets shot in the head, and THEN he falls in love with Calleigh. Alexx said it herself, He's not the Eric we once knew or something to that effect. So basically what she's telling me is that the old Eric, the ORIGINAL Eric wouldn't have fallen in love with Calleigh, but in order to make this storyline happen we have to use a bullet in his brain as an excuse to make him change FOR Calleigh. That is just, as you put it Florry86, insane. And it's also insane that Eric can be shot in the head and come back to work the next day. Just like Calleigh can be in the hospital in the morning, then out of the hospital in the afternoon. :confused: I know that's all been said before, but I just can't get over that. He's like the iron man of the crime lab. Minus the iron, unless you count the metal bullet fragment in his brain...

Originally Posted by MiamiWolfe:
Your list Flo, just makes it so clear how ridiculous this really is. Is that what their love is based on, altered brain chemistry caused by bullet?!! Hmmmmm.......
I just saw this. I completely agree with you MiamiWolfe :thumbsup: Sorry for repeating what you just said...

Originally Posted by MiamiWolfe:
I guess that shows you that CSI Miami has been labeled as "that show with the office romance". Well I'm just accepting the fact that it's there, and I'm going to try to ignore it for as long as possible. Hopefully season 9 won't be too bad... But I'm not holding my breath.

Originally Posted by Florry86:
The "prodigal son" one must be the best and the most-fitting I've ever heard about the guy :shifty:
Is that what they're calling him these days? :rolleyes:

Oh and btw, I hope you have a great vacation Florry86!! :cool:

Well, that was an interesting article that was just posted ("Eric & Calleigh will 'Assess' Their relationship"). I'm not getting my hopes up, but at least this article admits that the writers were totally forcing this ship down our throats:

Quote from the Article:
"Behind the scenes, things are developing naturally in the writers room. “You may see that relationship evolve in a way that surprises even us, the writers,” explained executive producer Barry O’Brien. “We’re kind of letting it grow right now on its own.”"

Ummm...maybe that would've been a good idea to do that four years ago! :rolleyes: So basically they're admitting that the last four years have been completely forced and unnatural, and now they want to "let it grow on its own" - what? :brickwall: It's interesting that all of a sudden they're not "gung-ho" about this E/C thing, especially w/Emily's pregnancy. Maybe they're finally figuring out that our arguments about E/C "taking over" the show and ruining their characters has some weight behind it. Let's keep laying out our arguments - maybe we'll actually see something descent on-screen (although, again, this is TPTB and they could just be messing w/us).

It's also funny how they want to focus on Delko's return as a CSI and how he missed being a CSI - wasn't his relationship w/Cal supposed to be connected to all this? Both Eric and Cal had no problem compromising their ethics and integrity in their CSI jobs when it meant covering for each other, etc. - all of a sudden being a CSI (w/integrity :confused: ) is at the forefront for Eric? :scream: Maybe now Delko realizes he actually cares more about being a CSI than he does about Calleigh. Sounds harsh, but Eric's always been a playa, and let's remember that he never followed through w/his "I'd work nights" claim when Cal and Jake were having problems w/IAB about their relationship.

Let's see where this goes. Any other thoughts on the article? I really want both characters to somehow get better, but especially Cal, and I don't think she can do that until she gets away from Eric and his questionable behavior and uncontrollable emotional outbursts. Maybe if Eric appreciates his job more, it will remind Cal that she used to be so devoted and by the book and should go back to that - and stop treating their colleagues like their inferior. UGH.

Any comments?

Well, that was an interesting article that was just posted ("Eric & Calleigh will 'Assess' Their relationship"). I'm not getting my hopes up, but at least this article admits that the writers were totally forcing this ship down our throats:

Quote from the Article:
"Behind the scenes, things are developing naturally in the writers room. “You may see that relationship evolve in a way that surprises even us, the writers,” explained executive producer Barry O’Brien. “We’re kind of letting it grow right now on its own.”"

Ummm...maybe that would've been a good idea to do that four years ago! :rolleyes: So basically they're admitting that the last four years have been completely forced and unnatural, and now they want to "let it grow on its own" - what? :brickwall: It's interesting that all of a sudden they're not "gung-ho" about this E/C thing, especially w/Emily's pregnancy. Maybe they're finally figuring out that our arguments about E/C "taking over" the show and ruining their characters has some weight behind it. Let's keep laying out our arguments - maybe we'll actually see something descent on-screen (although, again, this is TPTB and they could just be messing w/us).

It's also funny how they want to focus on Delko's return as a CSI and how he missed being a CSI - wasn't his relationship w/Cal supposed to be connected to all this? Both Eric and Cal had no problem compromising their ethics and integrity in their CSI jobs when it meant covering for each other, etc. - all of a sudden being a CSI (w/integrity :confused: ) is at the forefront for Eric? :scream: Maybe now Delko realizes he actually cares more about being a CSI than he does about Calleigh. Sounds harsh, but Eric's always been a playa, and let's remember that he never followed through w/his "I'd work nights" claim when Cal and Jake were having problems w/IAB about their relationship.

Let's see where this goes. Any other thoughts on the article? I really want both characters to somehow get better, but especially Cal, and I don't think she can do that until she gets away from Eric and his questionable behavior and uncontrollable emotional outbursts. Maybe if Eric appreciates his job more, it will remind Cal that she used to be so devoted and by the book and should go back to that - and stop treating their colleagues like their inferior. UGH.

Any comments?

My first initial reaction when I read it was "well here we go again; just more of the same crap".:censored: Then I got the impression that they really didn't know how they were going to proceed. So the plan was to piddle around and piddle around (like they have been doing the last few seasons) until these clueless writers figured out what to do. Another year of angst, drama and other characters shoved into the background.:brickwall:

I am so hoping you are right miamirocks and our arguments have gotten through to them. Maybe AR's eyes being opened by finally realising that not everyone is so keen on this mess of a storyline that was the beginning of sanity returning again, and seeing other characters than just these two.

It will be interesting to see the focus on Eric's return as an CSI brings (I think it would be interesting to watch reactions if it is written to seem as if he cares for his job more than Calleigh:rolleyes:). It sure will be a welcome change from watching him moon over her the last couple of seasons. Maybe he will be interesting again. Hopefully the part of his being a CSI which involves him crapping all over Ryan will be forgotten though.

Re the article. I tend to look at it this way: if they had anything positive to say on the storyline's development then I honestly think they'd have come right out and said it just to get the fans of that couple all in a fluffy frenzy. On the flipside, if they're planning to let them fade away & eventually break up then they will not come right out & say...."look for them to crumble and fall apart". Though the words are music to my ears, they're not gonna come right out & say that if it's what they plan to do. But if it was considered good news for the couple/storyline then they most certainly would say so.

I truly hope I won't have to eat my words later, but considering they've opted not to include Procter's pregnancy, along with this "uncertain e/c future", I think this means they're finally gonna shove it in the background or let it end altogether. That's just my impression of these things combined, because they had every opportunity to take it to the next level with this pregnancy & they chose not to.
They don't yet have the opportunity/right moment to officially break them up though -- with this type of storyline I imagine they'd have to "safely" break them up...meaning, end it but on a good note where they're still friends. So, IMO, there would be no big blow-up, no enormous fight or anything that could happen in one episode.....knowing tptb they'd just let it fade & then someone down the road will say "this isn't working".
I guess we'll just have to wait & see which direction they actually go (I prefer the direction of the toilet!), but in all honesty, the spoilers & news snippets have me feeling alot more positive for the new season.

It will be interesting to see the focus on Eric's return as an CSI
While I'm not too thrilled with more Eric-airtime, I think this would be a good move & a step in the right direction having him focusing on the job. Is anyone else getting the feeling that tptb will eventually have Eric follow in H's footsteps....making his job first priority? I truly hope so. I'd love to re-gain some respect for Eric, and him putting his job before his hormones would be a good first step!

Re the article. I tend to look at it this way: if they had anything positive to say on the storyline's development then I honestly think they'd have come right out and said it just to get the fans of that couple all in a fluffy frenzy. On the flipside, if they're planning to let them fade away & eventually break up then they will not come right out & say...."look for them to crumble and fall apart". Though the words are music to my ears, they're not gonna come right out & say that if it's what they plan to do. But if it was considered good news for the couple/storyline then they most certainly would say so.

I truly hope I won't have to eat my words later, but considering they've opted not to include Procter's pregnancy, along with this "uncertain e/c future", I think this means they're finally gonna shove it in the background or let it end altogether. That's just my impression of these things combined, because they had every opportunity to take it to the next level with this pregnancy & they chose not to.
They don't yet have the opportunity/right moment to officially break them up though -- with this type of storyline I imagine they'd have to "safely" break them up...meaning, end it but on a good note where they're still friends. So, IMO, there would be no big blow-up, no enormous fight or anything that could happen in one episode.....knowing tptb they'd just let it fade & then someone down the road will say "this isn't working".
I guess we'll just have to wait & see which direction they actually go (I prefer the direction of the toilet!), but in all honesty, the spoilers & news snippets have me feeling alot more positive for the new season.

It will be interesting to see the focus on Eric's return as an CSI
While I'm not too thrilled with more Eric-airtime, I think this would be a good move & a step in the right direction having him focusing on the job. Is anyone else getting the feeling that tptb will eventually have Eric follow in H's footsteps....making his job first priority? I truly hope so. I'd love to re-gain some respect for Eric, and him putting his job before his hormones would be a good first step!

I like the way you think MJ. It would be nice to see it just fade into the background and eventually see it end quietly; with Eric and Calleigh remaining friends.

Although, my first reaction was can't they shut-up about this nomance, upon futher assesment I do beleive it may be going down that path. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Even if they don't break them up, just tone it down and put it on the backburner; will be a vast improvement to what we have had to endure.

I hope not too much emphasis is placed on Eric this season; its time for some of the others to shine.

I hope you're right, MJ and this means we'll finally witness the end of the pathetic nomance. I'm just afraid that even ending it will cause an undo amount of time focused on it. If this truly turns out to be the final season, the last thing I want it wasted on is more E/C! :scream:

I'm just so sick to death of all the focus on Eric and/or Eric and Calleigh and I'm not looking forward to another season of Eric being the freaking golden boy of Miami. He's a waste of screentime that could be better used on Ryan, Natalia, Frank or Horatio.

With Eric's track record of total incompetence I think Ryan is much more capable of following in Horatio's footsteps.

Sorry. But I'm too far gone with both Eric and Calleigh to ever regain respect for either of them.

Agree, the writers have really backed themselves into a difficult hole and I am not sure they are talented enough to pull it off. How do you end the relationship gracefully without feeling the last few seasons were a big waste of time. I am already feeling like last season was wasted by spending so much screentime to develop Jesse's character and then killing him. I think they handled Eric's breakup with Natalia just fine, and now they have a good friendship with apparently no regrets. Hopefully they could do that with Calleigh.

I'm just so sick to death of all the focus on Eric and/or Eric and Calleigh and I'm not looking forward to another season of Eric being the freaking golden boy of Miami. He's a waste of screentime that could be better used on Ryan, Natalia, Frank or Horatio.

With Eric's track record of total incompetence I think Ryan is much more capable of following in Horatio's footsteps.

Sorry. But I'm too far gone with both Eric and Calleigh to ever regain respect for either of them.

Agreed. Eric has gotten painful to watch over the last five years, with his attitude and lack of professionalism. I mean, in the early years, even when he was a player and he and Speed were giving each other crap all the time, he put his job above his antics. Now he's self-righteous and self-involved (even his relationship with Calleigh seems very one-sided: it's all about him and what he wants). Bah. Why TPTB insist on making him the lead man all the time anymore over H pisses me off to no end. :scream:

It's the same with Calleigh. Half of the time she looks like she doesn't even know what the hell she is doing. How often have we even seen her in the gun lab in the last two years? At a crime scene, she walks around waiting for other people to make observations. It's laughable.:rolleyes:

And seriously, if the writers pit E/C against Ryan anymore, I may be done. That stupid storyline is old, tired and beyond irritating.:scream:

Agree, the writers have really backed themselves into a difficult hole and I am not sure they are talented enough to pull it off. How do you end the relationship gracefully without feeling the last few seasons were a big waste of time. I am already feeling like last season was wasted by spending so much screentime to develop Jesse's character and then killing him. I think they handled Eric's breakup with Natalia just fine, and now they have a good friendship with apparently no regrets. Hopefully they could do that with Calleigh.
I completely agree with you. I can't think of a clean way for them to end their relationship. I mean they seem to "far along" to have it ended cleanly. Because, as you said, if they decided they wanted to be friends, then this many seasons would be a huge waste. Maybe the writers will surprise us and end it cleanly, but I'm not getting my hopes up... yet. :p

I do agree with mjszud's theory though:
Also based on the fact that Natalia actually gets a storyline (that caught me by surprise, I thought the writers forgot she existed :rolleyes:) I think that the writers are moving on from this nomance, which would be great. Now, if only they'd give some of Adam's screen time to Ryan, Natalia or Frank...

Back