Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Thanks. Let me finish the other two first.

2. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

"Ride the train" certainly isn't a ringing endorcement. So much for the second coming of Rhett and Scarlett:rolleyes:

IMHO, any actor worth his or her salt isn't going to want their whole existance based on one storyline especially one so poorly written and one that drives fans away in droves.

Frankly, both Eric and Calleigh were much more interesting and well rounded characters before tptb got the bright idea to shove them together. Eric scuba dove, spoke Russian and pre-Man Down got the job done withiout visual aids. Although I detest the way he treated (and still treats) Ryan, their head to head's, to me, were far more interesting than Eric bellowing over Calleigh's inert form. Calleigh was kind but tough and supported everyone. There could be an argument made for her being the voice of reason (how many arguments between Ryan and Eric did she referee?). But now that she and Eric are joined at the hip and his views have become HER views as well, she has become distant and cold to everyone but Eric. This is sad for the relationships like the one she had with Ryan.

Everything connected with the E/C relationship wasn't expressed any better than in WISC (an eppie which really sticks in my craw). First it was supposed to be a Ryan-centered eppie but the intensity of the torture scene was broken by the addition of that unnessary E/C scene. And because tptb were so intent on adding said scene the rest of the eppie had plot hole big enough to drive a semi through. First, they found out in Target Specific that the Russians were gunning for them amd then all of a sudden Ryan isn't answering his phone. Why wasn't two and two put together? What was he doing, getting a hot dog?! And then there is the hummer. From what I saw, Ryan was grabbed at sunset and dumped out of the van at sunrise. Wouldn't someone notice an abandoned hummer in that span of time? Assuming they are checked out, coupling this with the other facts, wouldn't someone have figured SOMETHING out?! Maybe they couldn't have prevented what happened to Ryan but it would have made them more sympathetic and not so ready to attack him.

I'll third that!!

Me too.I got the feeling that Walter didn't completely trust Eric but we know all will be forgiven and Walter and Eric will be buddy-buddy, because NOTHING is held against Eric.

I hope so too but I am not holding my breath. Ryan has always done a good job of manning up while Eric acted as if it was everyone else's fault or it was ERIC so some slack must be given.

Perfect example, WISC --the smack down scene. Ryan hands over the casing and when pressed said there were "extenuating circumstances". Eric goes off on him conveniently forgetting he used the same explanation (or excuse, pick your poison) when he popped positive for pot in the eppies after Speed's death. I guess it is okay for Eric to have extenuating circumstances but if anyone else tried that explanation... Can we all say "hypecrite"?:wtf:

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::lol::guffaw:

3. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Unfortunately for AR, he really has no one to blame but himself. He had himself functionally written out of the show, then wanted his job back, forcing an already intellectually-challenged writing staff to engineer his miraculous recovery. The only way to do that was to put him somewhere in the Miami law enforcement community where he had reason to interact with the CSIs again. When he wanted back on full-time, the only plot device around to make this believable is to exploit the nascent relationship with CD. Delko had already expressed his significant reservations about putting himself in harm's way again. There is simply no logical explanation why he would do such an about-face unless he has a compelling romantic relationship inside the crime lab, or unless they kill off another CSI, creating a job opening. (aside: lol, they did both! :lol: ).

I think Adam is a decent actor. His interaction with Horatio in the "middle years" on the show reminded me of Philip-Michael Thomas' interaction with Don Johnson. But his desire to get his old role back may do more harm than good to his career, due to typecasting. Sure, Ted Danson went on to do "Becker" and other film roles, but does anyone seriously think of him as anyone other than Sam Malone?

IIRC, there were a few instances over the years where Stetler was around to warn the staff about office romance. To allow them to have a fling and get away with it would be a complete bastardization of a multi-year story arc.

And anyone who also watches CSILV would have a problem with it too, since Ecklie's treatment of Grissom and Sidle was one of the big devices to engineer William Petersen's departure from the show.

4. slower

slower Lab Technician

I wasn't suggesting this at all. I meant that if tptb couldn't do any better than to give us four years of practically non-stop melodramtic crap; it would have been better to just have them sleep together a few times. I would have preferred it if they just had them seeing each other quietly.

5. DragonFriend95

DragonFriend95 Lab Technician

Wow, am I glad I found this thread. From the start I was iffy about the whole E/C romance -it may just be my lacklustre for romantic pairings but IMO there was no chemistry between the two- but after WISC was when I really started to dislike it. Was never a fan of Calleigh, but at least before she hooked up with the indestructable Eric she actually interacted with the team, but now they're off in their own little world while all the other characters are pushed into the background (which was never a phrase I thought I would associate about Super H :lol: )

If Season 9 is anything like I've already seen of 8 then I'll either stop watching or give those writers a good slap around the head :evil:

6. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Having them sleep together a few times certainly would have been preferred over this non-stop "will they or won't they" garbage with no end in sight:rolleyes:

Speaking of office romances, how are these two going to get around the "no fraternation rule" MDPD seems to have? Aren't they living together? Is Horatio going to cover for them or do E/C think they are above the rules?

7. slower

slower Lab Technician

This a very good point. I often wondered this myself. I am sure that tptb (once again) will forget what thay have written about the "no fraternization" rule, and have H covering for them. I know they will get around it somehow. This is the Calleigh and Eric show don't you know; we can't have these two follow the rules or be accountable for any of their questionale actions.:lol::rolleyes: Oh well! It's probably too much to ask for tptb to be consistent; except when it concerns E/C.

8. DragonFriend95

MiamiWolfe- They don't think they're above the rules, they know they're above the rules. The book was changed about three years ago to include the clause:

Any fictional cops by the name of Horatio Caine can get away with murder and/or any other rules that normally apply to law enforcement (EDIT: Eric Delko and Calleigh Duquesne now also apply. Ryan Wolfe can still be found guilty for any bad storyline given to him.)

:p

9. Adamsgirl

Adamsgirl Dead on Arrival

To be fair, I think all the Miami cast members will forever be known as "that dude from Miami" or "that chick from Miami". Adam has had a pretty decent acting career during his time on the show.

10. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I have a sick feeling this could be an issue all season long. If it does come out in the open and they do get called on the carpet (fat chance), I am sure they will blame Ryan for it. :rolleyes:

I was trying to be nice;). But you are right; if these two were ever put in any similar situation that Ryan has faced over the years, I would be shocked. Have these two ever been in hot water for anything? I know Eric lost his badge and popped positive for pot and Calleigh was under investigation for a shooting, but there was never any doubt they were innocent or they came out looking like a saint. And your rule, sad to say, is true.:(

11. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

That seems to have gone completely out the window and isn't coming back. And now that they've gotten rid of IAB (Sorry, I have a hard time believing this "all-thumbs" bunch of writers will successfully replace Stetler), it's gonna be all fraternizing, all the time.

Do these writers/actors/fans ever think about what this looks like, compared to the old Miami? "Oh, don't worry Ma'am, this is an airtight case. Don't worry that the cop who handled your husband's death is banging the cute blonde, the DA won't find anything wrong with that at all. Trust us, this sort of thing happens all the time." :rolleyes::wtf:

But I guess it doesn't matter, since we really don't see them interacting as much with victims' families anymore either.

12. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

To be honest, there are some people who are trying and doing their best to make anything else even if they're bound to the the TV show. Jonathan Togo comes to my mind. He was supposed to play in the new "Spiderman" (a rather much more challeging experience than the movies/shows Adam played in), but something came up and "bye bye Spiderman". He's also going to play a much more interesting indipendent movie, but nobody knows why we don't have anymore information on it....it is still entirely possible that movie was cancelled because of his contrac with Miami.

I personally see Jonathan Togo as one of those actors who is doing his best to try and find any possible experience that might give him the chance not to be typecast as Ryan Wolfe. It is difficult since he has a contract, but from a personal POV, I'd rather see him leave the show and finally be able to fulfil his desire...which is not to be typecast as Ryan Wolfe. No actor would want to be typecast.

As for Adam he had a lot more chances than anyone else in the show, but I cannot say he has reached his goal......nope he hasn't reached it all....he will always be known as Eric Delko :rolleyes:

But, then again, I guess everyone can have a different opinion though, in all honesty, I have to find an actor who would accept their condition :p

As for the other topics.....I sometimes want to cut someone's head off....seriously, they created the whole fraternization rule for what? Only to break up Calleigh and Jake???? But when it comes to his royalty Eric Delko....god forbid that fraternization rules exists anymore!!!! [​IMG]

13. greatfan

greatfan Captain

The movie is still a go,they finished filming in early July right before Miami resumed shooting.I read just this week that there is post production and sound editing going on. The movie will have Ed Asner as well.Indie movies don't get the publicity that they need,probably because of limited resources.
    They are sometimes hard to keep up with and have limited theater releases,some even go straight to DVD.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  14. DragonFriend95

After seeing some of the newer episodes, I got so mad that I decided to watch one of the older eps to calm down, and saw Internal Affairs.

Really, S8 is just a joke compared to the older seasons.

In that eppy Horatio immediately called off the team since one of their own was a suspect (not to mention back then Nata(ia actually got storylines) to avoid personal conflict, and yet Eric is personally involved with everyone on the team, even related by marriage to one and sleeping with another, but is still allowed to investigate them?

Ever since E and C got together the entire law enforcement seems to have dumbed down just so they could be together, and anyone who might have gotten in their way was removed (ala the screwed up idea to make Stetler a dirty cop).

If I lived in Miami I would not want to get help from a law agency who can't even keep track of their own rules. Tptb, get a freakin' grip :klingon:

15. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Yes, I'm sure CD thinks she can get away with it. Not only has she had pseudo-flings with MDPD employees like Hagen, she had that thing with the Secret Service Agent, and there was some episode that ended with her horseback riding with some guy who was a party to the case. Conversely, Natalia gets scolded when her ex-husband got a job as a crime scene picker-upper, got threatened when she was with Delko, and she and Valera got tossed in jail for the murder of the ex-QB.

That was the one thing Stetler always lorded over Horatio--he knew about the office gossip, sometimes before ol' H found out. :lol:

Oh yeah, I even forgot about Jake. ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010