Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Agree, the writers have really backed themselves into a difficult hole and I am not sure they are talented enough to pull it off.
The writers have backed themselves into a corner.Unfortunately,people sometimes make even bigger mistakes in this situation.Given some of the mistakes we've seen,I doubt if this is a situation that the writers can pull themselves out of with any type of success.

I can't think of a clean way for them to end their relationship.

Hmmm.....maybe it's because of the way that I view thier "relationship" & where it stemmed from, but IMO, it could end somewhat cleanly, and at this point might actually make the whole thing make some sense -- I think it would be like bringing the storyline full circle from where it all originally started...which was no doubt Eric's shooting/bullet in 'da brain which made him dependant on Calleigh (the writers even used this term). :rolleyes:

Relationship-wise, they've barely evolved, they still can't even make it to the next level -- it's been alot of 'few tiny steps forward' & then 'few giant leaps back'. If 2 people STILL have to evaluate thier relationship after this long then it's not meant to be from where I'm sitting --give up already so the show can move on! :scream:

Good Lord, they're STILL "exploring" and "assessing" their relationship??? :alienblush::cardie::rolleyes: HOW many seasons, love triangles, bombings, near-death experiences does it take?

Trust me, if your so-called loved one has been jerking you around for four years, you're better off alone. Just the opinion of someone here in flyover country.

If they ever do move on from this Charlie Fox, I'll be amazed.

It is unclear to me whether Horatio is aware of their relationship. I don't recall him ever saying anything addressing it. True, he has seen them together in the hospital but Horatio is also off in his own little world so he may not realize it. Maybe Horatio could learn of the relationship and then give them an ultimatum--give it up or move on to another job, like they did with the detectives in The Mentalist.

It is unclear to me whether Horatio is aware of their relationship. I don't recall him ever saying anything addressing it. True, he has seen them together in the hospital but Horatio is also off in his own little world so he may not realize it. Maybe Horatio could learn of the relationship and then give them an ultimatum--give it up or move on to another job, like they did with the detectives in The Mentalist.

That would be a good scenerio Theresa; but we can't trust these writers to do the more logical thing. Eric and Calleigh will just go on doing what they will, covering for each other (that includes Horatio), feeling they are above the rules because it only applies to everyone else (esp. Ryan) and not them. I think that Horotio on some level is aware of the relationship; unless they dumbed him down right along with Ryan last season.:lol:

That would be a good scenerio Theresa; but we can't trust these writers to do the more logical thing. Eric and Calleigh will just go on doing what they will, covering for each other (that includes Horatio), feeling they are above the rules because it only applies to everyone else (esp. Ryan) and not them. I think that Horotio on some level is aware of the relationship; unless they dumbed him down right along with Ryan last season.:lol:

That's always been one of my biggest issues. Eric and H are supposed be so close, and yet w/something pretty huge like this it never comes up between them. Why? TPTB have made H so distant from Calleigh since they started this "no-mance", and it just doesn't ring true to the first four seasons of the show. Cal and H's interactions are so cold it's like every scene they do should be in the morgue - and why is that? I think for the same reason that Cal and Ryan have been so "strained" - TPTB have been HELL-BENT on convincing everyone that Eric is THE MAN for Cal, that whenever another guy gets close to her, they either make him look as bad as possible, or make sure Cal stands about 10 feet away and has like four lines w/him all season.

This is one of my gripes w/the "no-mance" - it's really destroyed Cal's relationships with the rest of the lab - even her and Nat aren't really "close" - they had such potential as friends, and it's really sad to see where Cal has ended up.

As for Horatio getting involved in this thing - I think he must know about it b/c he's not dumb, which may be why he keeps his distance. He's probably just trying to protect Eric like he always does. However, it's very unlike H not to get involved A LITTLE in this stuff - just look at the earlier seasons, like w/Speed and Eric and their issues, and Cal w/Hagen. C'mon - this "storyline" has been going on for four years and H says nothing to either of them? It's so absurd.

I can't see H giving them an "ultimatum" b/c he's always one to cover for the team. Now that they "got rid" of Stetler (didn't like that either...but that's for another thread, I suppose), I don't know who would challenge their relationship. It certainly would be refreshing to have H step in and give his two cents, but I don't know how that would help end this bad storyline. Maybe it would be better if Eric woke up in the hospital and found out the last four years were ALL A FREAKIN' DREAM!

LOL, this scenario just came to mind --
Horatio confused: whuu...you're in a relationship with Calleigh? I thought you two had just become better friends....that's what it looked like to me.
Well then... Eric....*puts sunnies on & whacks him upside the head* stop screwin' your sister, it's sick! *walks away*

Eric's face would be priceless. :lol:

You know, at this point I would forgive any and all lame storylines as long as the end result is this horrid nomance is done! Even all a dream ... actually I would have to define it as a nightmare. A four year long, neverending nightmare!

And the last thing I want is for Horatio to be assigned the task of telling them to end it. He already gets the blame for the fact any friendship that ever existed between he and Calleigh is toast! For some reason the fact that Calleigh has turned into a selfish, unprofessional child and her complete turn around as a character may be the reason ... well, that's overlooked.

Not to mention, like slower said, they would just continue to see each other behind his back like obstinate children. Afterall, Eric and Calleigh are above everyone else. THEY don't have to follow the rules everyone else does. :rolleyes:

And the last thing I want is for Horatio to be assigned the task of telling them to end it. He already gets the blame for the fact any friendship that ever existed between he and Calleigh is toast! For some reason the fact that Calleigh has turned into a selfish, unprofessional child and her complete turn around as a character may be the reason ... well, that's overlooked.

I definitely agree that having H step in as the "bad guy" (or savior in our case), really wouldn't make much sense - he always covers for Eric, and for the team in general. It would be better for him to have a "fatherly" conversation - maybe even with ::gasp:: Calleigh for a change!

This may not be the thread to discuss this, but I did want to respond to the previous post. While I agree that Calleigh has become unprofessional and has ruined her relationships w/the rest of the team, I do not believe that was the cause of the breakdown between H and Cal. That started just before the "no-mance." Horatio has been distant since Rio, and to me, it was H who caused the breakdown initially - he wasn't there for Cal in Season 6 at all - b/c TPTB kept pushing the E/C angle. So is it any wonder that she became distant from him? He started moving away from her once he met Marisol, IMHO. Just look at their interactions from mid-Season 4 on compared to the previous seasons. That was when he really started distancing himself - no more "fatherly" advice, etc. He was too caught up in his own stuff to look out for anyone but Marisol and Eric. Anyway, I suppose it's for another thread (which one I don't know) but I wanted to put that out there. I like H a lot more now than I did in Season 6, but this "breakdown" is definitely not a one-sided deal.

I definitely agree that having H step in as the "bad guy" (or savior in our case), really wouldn't make much sense - he always covers for Eric, and for the team in general. It would be better for him to have a "fatherly" conversation - maybe even with ::gasp:: Calleigh for a change!

I think a "fatherly" conversation would have worked 4 seasons ago. But I don't think it would work with where Calleigh seems to be at this time. She has become very self-involved and has an arrogance and sense of entitlement that leads me to believe that she would consider any attempt at fatherly redirection of her actions as interferance with her personal life. Her professionalism and integrity are seriously suspect at this point, and I believe virtually non-existant.

This may not be the thread to discuss this, but I did want to respond to the previous post. While I agree that Calleigh has become unprofessional and has ruined her relationships w/the rest of the team, I do not believe that was the cause of the breakdown between H and Cal. That started just before the "no-mance." Horatio has been distant since Rio, and to me, it was H who caused the breakdown initially - he wasn't there for Cal in Season 6 at all - b/c TPTB kept pushing the E/C angle. So is it any wonder that she became distant from him? He started moving away from her once he met Marisol, IMHO. Just look at their interactions from mid-Season 4 on compared to the previous seasons. That was when he really started distancing himself - no more "fatherly" advice, etc. He was too caught up in his own stuff to look out for anyone but Marisol and Eric. Anyway, I suppose it's for another thread (which one I don't know) but I wanted to put that out there. I like H a lot more now than I did in Season 6, but this "breakdown" is definitely not a one-sided deal.

I agree that the breakdown that occurred in Horatio and Calleigh's relationship happened early in season 5. But I believe that estranging these characters was born of necessity and related to behind the scene stressors. It required the writers to eliminate all interaction between those characters.

I have no problem with that. My problem was with how them did it by making it appear that total responsibility rested with Horatio and he just turned his back on "poor sweet little ol' Calleigh". :rolleyes: Horatio is still blamed for the abrupt coldness of their relationship from the moment of its onset and for that I place a good deal of responsibility on the show runner and the writers, but it also rests in other areas as well.

**comes back all tanned & happy**
I haven't been here for a while so I won't be able to reply to most of the things you said but I would like to spend a little bit of my time on a couple of things ;)

I agree that the breakdown that occurred in Horatio and Calleigh's relationship happened early in season 5. But I believe that estranging these characters was born of necessity and related to behind the scene stressors. It required the writers to eliminate all interaction between those characters.

I have no problem with that. My problem was with how them did it by making it appear that total responsibility rested with Horatio and he just turned his back on "poor sweet little ol' Calleigh". :rolleyes: Horatio is still blamed for the abrupt coldness of their relationship from the moment of its onset and for that I place a good deal of responsibility on the show runner and the writers, but it also rests in other areas as well.
Totally hear you on this & yes I've read many many things about David being the one to blame for the lack of interaction between the character, but I've come to a point when I believe that something isn't quite right behind the scenes and, to be brutally honest here, I'm sick & tired of what TPTB are trying to show us: I mean they're all trying to show they're all happy & what a big family it is. I for once do not belive of it and I'm quite sure that also the actors (I'm including everybody in here) can't stand each others.....it's such a shame & that it is why I truely hoped there were gonna be some needed changes :shifty:

I've also read something regarding the interview to one of the producers/writer mentioning how during s9 they will assess this realtionship & I've also read optimistic comments in here. Well I'm not that optimistc, unfortunately. I for once do belive that TPTB have been saying this for a very long time.....come on!!!! Every year they promise everyone they will assess the relationship & they will give us a closure but I've never seen such a thing:rolleyes:

Also look at the summary of s8 here on CSI:Files :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm sick & tired of seeing both of them & I wish I could not see the two of them for a while, but I already know it won't happen. Even when Eric was supposed to be gone (for a while) we had to see this pathetic person he has become more than H.....this utterly ridiculous in my honest opinion.
Now that Adam Rodriguez is back it will never end...trust me. The only way to end it is to kill both Eric & Calleigh on cursed cruise like the one of Titanic....no, wait!!!! In that case we'll have to see Eric struggling to survive on a piece of wood whille screaming like a goose at Calleigh to stay with him :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: no thanks, I don't want any of this..... just the two of them in a coffin, pretty please :angel:
There is no other way to end this hell :p

Welcome back Flo,you were missed.
I've also read something regarding the interview to one of the producers/writer mentioning how during s9 they will assess this realtionship & I've also read optimistic comments in here. Well I'm not that optimistc, unfortunately. I for once do belive that TPTB have been saying this for a very long time.....come on!!!! Every year they promise everyone they will assess the relationship & they will give us a closure but I've never seen such a thing:rolleyes:
Same here Flo,I don't believe a thing they're saying and haven't for a while.It's sound as if they have ready made answers to the same questions or problems every season.TPTB ,producers etc. barely bother to change the anwers a little from season to season.

Totally hear you on this & yes I've read many many things about David being the one to blame for the lack of interaction between the character, but I've come to a point when I believe that something isn't quite right behind the scenes and, to be brutally honest here, I'm sick & tired of what TPTB are trying to show us: I mean they're all trying to show they're all happy & what a big family it is. I for once do not belive of it and I'm quite sure that also the actors (I'm including everybody in here) can't stand each others.....it's such a shame & that it is why I truely hoped there were gonna be some needed changes :shifty:

In regards to the bold, I personally hope that isn't true. Now I know that in many shows, certain actors have issues with one another but for an entire ensemble cast to be at each others throats makes for a viper's nest to walk through. It'll be sad looking back at videos of the actor's hamming it up for the cameras and saying "What a load of fakery! they can't stand each other" I guess we won't know until the show ends.

Could be worse. Didn't the cast of Grey's Anatomy snipe at each other in public?

In regards to the bold, I personally hope that isn't true. Now I know that in many shows, certain actors have issues with one another but for an entire ensemble cast to be at each others throats makes for a viper's nest to walk through. It'll be sad looking back at videos of the actor's hamming it up for the cameras and saying "What a load of fakery! they can't stand each other" I guess we won't know until the show ends.

Could be worse. Didn't the cast of Grey's Anatomy snipe at each other in public?

I agree with Flo, but I'm not sure it's everyone. Eva and Jon seemed to like each other a lot and Rex seems to be adored by everyone and he and David seem to get along really well. I think the "close" relationship that supposedly exists between Rodriguez and Procter is more PR for Eric and Calleigh than it is reality. If her pregnancy was a suprise to him, what does that say about their "closeness"?

I also don't think it's always been this way. I first noticed at the end of season 4 and the beginning of season 5. It was painfully obvious both on and off camera - especially for two of the actors. I don't think that in general this is a happy group who enjoys spending time with each other any longer. Again, I don't think it's always been this way.

Certainly not even close to the enjoyment of working together that radiates from the casts of NCIS and Criminal Minds.

And I think you're right about Grey's Anatomy. I don't watch that show, but I do seem to remember Heigle, Washington, Knight and Dempsey having some serious issues on and off camera.

Back