Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Apr 18, 2010.

1. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Yea, so ... well, we all saw this coming, didn't we? I agree - it'll definitely turn into one of those "magical" E/C moments - ugh. I mean, how many times do they have to almost die and confess their feelings - this isn't a freakin' soap opera! And to make Jesse's death another "pawn" in the E/C storyline - sorry, that's just lame - the guy deserves more. And Cal better not show any emotion when he's dead, or Eric will get all pouty and sulk and bite his lower lip and ... arrrggg. But you know it's probably gonna end w/Eric and Cal professing their undying love b/c it's all about them and their relationship and to hell w/how Ryan and Walter feel about it! E/C narcissistic? - umm,, hell yea!

2. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I have been reading and have so much to comment on (as I do in a couple of other threads) but I really wanted to comment on these for vastly different reasons.

:lol::lol::lol::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::lol::lol::guffaw::lol: You can't see me but I am giving you a standing "O". That is the best thing I have read in a while!!!

I agree with the group running this show anything is possible but my gut is telling me that this is it with the cuts. I can't believe that AR's raise (if he got one to return) is hefty enough to cause someone else to go. Here is what I think happened:

AR went in for contract talks and they broke down because AR asked for more than tptb were willing to give. AR over-estimated is marketability and decided if he wasn't getting what HE felt he deserved, he was going to leave. When he realized Ugly Betty (which was cancelled) was seemingly the only thing he was going to get and coupled with the economy he decided he wanted back on, he came crawling back and he got his job back. IMHO after all of this, he wasn't exactly bargaining from a position of strength. It wouldn't surprise me if what raise he did get wasn't remotely significant enough for the need for anyone else to go.

Just my opinion.

3. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

At this point I feel bad for the cockroaches :guffaw:. Thank you so much for the laugh :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Ok onto serious news....I'm gonna comment just in this thread as I feel it's the only thread left for me to post in, lately.

I cannot say I am disappointed that Jesse is the one leaving and that is what pisses me off the most :scream:. I soooo was expecting someone had to be sacrificed because of Adam's "sudden" (let's call it like this :rolleyes:) return on the show. Who better than the guy who replaced Adam for istance? No one else than Eddie. I just feel bad for the actor who, I saw, was getting superexcited to work on this show and, above all, on the possible storyline. I can't believe they won't give any closure to his stroyline just because he has to leave the space for someone else. I sure as hell want some closure for Jesse, though I know it won't ever happen :rolleyes:

As I mentioned before I so was expecting this because, appearently, for TPTB is impossible to kill off the one who has more medical troubles...their fav. "iron lung" lady!!!! For god's sake!!!! Whenever I watch medical stuff being constrantly screwed up all I want to do is screaming, like Phoebe Buffay, "STOP THE MADNESS!!!!" because that's what this show is for me at the moment.

What does Jesse's departure mean? Rather simple: much more space for Eric and Calleigh to do whatever they want, that means screwing up everything because that's what they've been left to do on the show. They have nothing more to say for me. Their characters (I'm talking about development this time) are dead to me and I don't see any point in having them continuosly screwing up!!! They're useless at this point!

I'm done ranting :p

4. Court

Court Prime Suspect

:lol: I like that comparison. For me, watching E/C is more of a Chandler Bing moment: " Awkward. Oh it's awkward. It's awkward."

As I said before, the quality of the show is being sacrificed at the alter of E/C, and TPTB really don't seem to care. Too bad Jesse had to become a victim to it as well. And before I get jumped about it - yes I know there has been nothing official to prove that Jesse's death (or whatever according to this latest update) has anything to do with the E/C storyline or that getting rid of Eddie is directly linked to AR's return, but come on. Who's kidding who? :rolleyes: In the end, it means more "focus" on the other characters and we know which "characters" and "storyline" TPTB - being the predictable creatures that they are - will choose to focus on. *gag*

5. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Also this one is very good :lol:

Totally agree with you on this. Once they started with the stuff, TPTB wanted us to believe
    1) a man can survive with a bullet in the head with no permament problems.
    2) a man with a bullet in his brain can dive
    3) a woman with lung problem can survive two fires while her collegue can't have health issue.
    4) people can be flushed down in a toilet :rolleyes:

What next? Cows can fly? :shifty:

What irked me most about this fact is that they edited Rebecca's death 'cause they had to fit E/C in it.
    One episode ended with Eric approaching Rebecca who was already pissed off because he was late (Calleigh was nowhere to be found also because she later had to appear from a tree) and then the explosion. The later episode began with Calleigh following Eric and Eric saved himslef by turning around only to go on arguing with Calleigh (when in the previous episode he turned because of a paper which had flown due to the wind). Also the explosion was different.
    Did they really believe we were gonna forget how it happened in the previous episode? Seriously, because of E/C they have to change everything to make them fit in it :rolleyes:

6. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

And this is the problem I'm having with E/C the way they're doing it. In fact I can add to that:

5) A seasoned police officer's countersurveillance (doesn't spot Calleigh's Hummer) goes out the window. Maybe he DOESN'T notice her that much. Or is that only when she's wearing clothes?
    6) Two CSI's who had been pushing teamwork and professionalism for years now seem to want to blow off everyone else, and we're supposed to be okay with that.
    7) Woman with above-mentioned lung problems can walk around in 6" heels ONE DAY after getting an epi into the heart. That kind of recovery takes at least a week of bedrest and O2 therapy.
    8) Hospital personnel will put up with a boyfriend (a cop who is supposed to know procedure) yelling over their heads while his beloved goes into cardiac arrest.
    9) Boyfriend can run from room to room where people are unconscious, breathe whatever they've been breathing, and be totally unaffected, not even bothering to call 911 or get his main squeeze to safety. Or at least cover his nose and mouth with something!
    10) Nobody will have a problem with Eric investigating his brother-in-law AND his girlfriend. Sorry, but in the early years there would be a conflict of interest.

Don't get me started on that. Good, long-time recurring characters are being thrown overboard. Did someone forget to tell us what happened to Sully? I really liked him, and he was Horatio's old-time partner. Anyone who really knows police work should know that accounts for something.

Don't sweat it, Court. Two weeks ago, as far as we knew, everything was hunky-dorey with Jesse. To reiterate, the inmates are running the asylum at this point.

If they can figure out a way to squeeze in an E/C moment, uh, YEP!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  7. Court

Court Prime Suspect

Coincidentally, when I saw that part of the ep, I thought the exact same thing. :lol:

Old School Eric would have been more alert, and Old School Calleigh wouldn't have been so blatant about her surveillance. Or maybe I give them both too much credit, I don't know. :rolleyes: I just think the writers and TPTB aren't even TRYING with their characters any more unless it's gooey, romance stuff. Neither Calleigh 2010 nor Eric 2010 have any depth and that is tragic. They are merely empty shells of who they used to be. It's like Invasion of the Body Snatchers or something. :shifty:

TPTB sacrificed good characters for a crummy storyline. Boo.

8. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

*SIGH* Just watched more S2. God, I miss the old Eric and Calleigh! They were friendly toward each other and everyone else on the team. They were thorough and responsible about their jobs. And no sloppy plotlines or forgotten characters!

I loved how Eric protected Alexx from the fire in Slow Burn. Calleigh was so sweet to that man who lost his hunting buddy. "I would never underestimate a Southern man's love for his dog."

9. greatfan

greatfan Captain

^^
    That was a great episode wasn't it? It's almost painful to watch how much change has occured with those two.

10. Propto

Propto Dead on Arrival

I watched Down to the Wire last night...

and all I want to do was to yell at Calleigh. She could lose her career!

11. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

I watched "In the Wind" tonight. It simply reinforced all we've been saying in this thread. These two remind me of a couple of second graders being led, word by word, action by action, through a scene by a series of directors, because they have no concept of the message or even a clue how to convey it.

"And the director says to little Eric, 'now, kiss little Calleigh on the cheek'. Little Calleigh offers her cheek willingly with a forced smile aimed at the camera/audience while Eric hesitates as all his buddies scream "EW" and laugh hysterically. Little Eric knows the guys will be giving him a rough time for awhile after this one."

12. slower

slower Lab Technician

I watched it too, and it just reinforced by belief that the nomance is all about the basic instincts and not about a deeper connection.

13. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I watched it as well. After watching E/C acting like a pair of hormone-driven teenagers, all I could think was the same thing that I thought when this eppie was first shown; "where was Ryan, Natalia, Walter and Frank"?" Couldn't we have spent less time watching E/C's latest booty call and see how the other four started their days as well?"!:brickwall:
    It just reforced what has gone on since tptb got the bright idea to shove these two together:

1. Every other character and storyline is sacrificed at the alter to these two characters and this one unnecessary storyline. Even Horatio has been reduced to background fodder to make room for this mess.

2. That Ryan, Natalia, and Frank don't count, and as long as this nomance is forced down our throats, they will never count and Walter, sad to say, will suffer the same fate. I will believe the "core cast" including everyone when I see it.

Remember episodes such as Born To Kill where each and every character was shown briefly during this season finale (Natalia helping Ryan review his cases, Frank at his desk, etc., while the final shot was Horatio standing on a building top thus ending season 5)? Or each CSI being shown working after Horatio tells Ryan in Sunblock, that if "we don't stick together, we'll die alone"? There are several other of these examples which made fans feel as if every character was important to the show. Now it seems as if E/C are the only ones who matter and it's so sad.

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I didn't waste my time. The first time it aired I lost an hour I'll never get back. Why throw bad after bad!

You've made a very interesting point, MiamiWolfe. Over and over again we are forced to endure the pathetically uninteresting "hormone-driven teenagers" fumble through their bad sex moments. We get it. All sex, all the time and nothing more. That defines Eric and Calleigh and their nomance.

Now that everyone has been unfortunate enough to have that burned into their brain, why CAN'T we see how the rest of the team start their days? It's got to be a million times more interesting than the boring twosome and their boring sex lives.

Watching Natalia do her dishes, Ryan straighten his computer wires and Frank mow his lawn would be more exciting that E/C nomance "moments." :rolleyes:

15. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:guffaw::guffaw:What a terrific diversion. These scenes, interspersed with the forensics work, could run with the credits for Season 9. It would bring a fresh outlook to an oh so tired opening.