Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Kiane

Kiane Lab Technician

I feel the same seminents as both of you with regards to the show.
    I don't care for how they relegated the other characters and their dynamics. The E/C show is a disadvantage to what used to be a compelling crime action drama. Its like they have made them Superman and Lois, the super duo.
    It worked for the Superman and Lois franchise, because it was established from the beginning they were to be the focal point. CSI Miami is supposed to be a team unit.

2. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Forgive me if I worded it wrongly. Also, if you read my posts in the E/C shipper thread, you will see that I am trying to get a dialogue going. Not trying to tell others, as your signature banner says, to "get over it already".

3. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I'm going to guess my previous post:

either wasn't read or wasn't entirely understood as a subtle attempt to pull the thread back on track. That's fine, here's something less subtle:

The E/C like/dislike in-fighting needs to stop, please. You don't have to like each other but you should be able to co-exist. Let's refrain from the snippy comments and passive-aggressive responses to one another. It's just a television show. No need to get personal.

If by open dialogue, it's meant to have both sides discuss the relationship openly to level the playing field, then by all means start a new thread here instead of going back and forth between forums. It's much easier to follow and more productive. But it should be noted that if it's meant as a way to continue fighting or a free-for-all, it's best not to bother otherwise we'll have the same problem there that we do here.

To recap what is expected in this thread: Let's keep the dragging of other groups through the mud out of this thread. Let's focus on the relationship itself and the show. When discussing actors, please don't speculate about them: we don't know them from Adam (no pun intended). Unless something is officially stated, it's a violation of their privacy and a violation of our rules. Refrain from dragging squabbles from other threads or boards into here.

If the following requests aren't heeded (as they have been repeatedly asked of everyone by myself and FieldMouse since February) or there's another problem in this thread for whatever reason after this post, this thread will be shut down for a short period to allow some to cool off and re-evaluate their behaviour. I'd suggest some start now, no matter what side of the fence one resides.

If there are any questions or comments, please feel free to PM me or FieldMouse.

Let's get back to discussing why we dislike the relationship storyline. Thank you.

4. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:brickwall:My complaint remains as it has always been; that to go deliberately into a thread that is blatant in its disapproval of an aspect of the show for the sole purpose of arguing the point is, in my estimation, extremely juvenile and immature. By the same token, if we who dislike this aspect react similarly in the "we love E/C" thread, we merit that same label (No, I've never posted or read entries in that thread. Why would I?)

Repeated comments refuting the theme of the thread can only serve to stir the pot. It borders on trolling. A couple of these pot stirrers have routinely made their presence known in other 'anti nomance' forums, using exactly the same tactics.

:beer:Whatever happened to the mature acknowledgement that "it takes all kinds" and a mutual respect for an opposing opinion?

;)BTW, I'm a dedicated Cubs fan. It matters not in the slightest that you're a Cardinal fan. I have no interest in your agruments in favor of the Cards and wouldn't waste breath to convince you of the superiority of the Cubs. I believe we can agree to disagree.

5. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

That's exactly what I'm hoping for from now on, on both sides.

6. Kiane

Kiane Lab Technician

Well I don't even think about lurking in pro E/C threads. Why would I when I'm not a fan or fanatic? I would see things I don't like.
    I think the same logic would apply to E/C fanatics reading the E/C dislike thread when you know the reason for it is to have dialogue against it. The best thing to do is to ignore it.

7. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I've been focused on RL and have just now been able to read these comments. I don't wish to prolong the matter, but I'd like to add some brief comments, if I might.

I do agree with your comments here, inthewind. I also do not post, never read unless asked to, the entries in the E/C shipper thread. It would serve absolutely no purpose for me to post in that thread and upset those who are E/C supporters.

I agree with this as well. It's been made pretty clear over the past several years that a deep chasm was growing in the CSI Miami fandom for a few reasons, but the predominate cause of animosity has been the E/C nomance, and I fear it appears to be much too wide and deep to ever be bridged at this point.

Both sides of the issue use words and banners and avatars specifically designed to upset the others who feel differently. I've read some scathing comments about posters in the "E/C dislike thread" in other less moderated forums using posts that were cherry picked from "E/C dislike thread" on this board (once it's out there on the Internet, it's all pretty easy to find :(). I'm sure that the same is true in some of the "anti E/C" forums, but I honestly can't say I've seen it.

I ignore the nasty things said about those of us who dislike the nomance except to make note that sometimes everything is not as it appears with people. :(

And Geni is right about the passive/agressive comments on this board.

Unfortunately TPTB seem to have decided that all this hostility and venting of emotion on the subject is a good thing - and it doesn't matter what it's doing to the fansbase. Love 'em or hate 'em - at least we're talking about 'em. So for them it's a good thing. And so they keep the hype coming and the emotions running high. :(

This split hasn't helped the show at all. It has hurt the show terribly, IMO.

I'd like to think that some kind of mutual respect can be found. I've had some really fun and interesting debates with anti-Horatio and pro-E/C posters in the past. They were lively and civil and respectful.

And we agreed to disagree and ended up respecting and even liking each other. It'd be nice to get back to that kind of respect.

8. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I'll admit it from the first sentence - I'm in a rather negative mood with this morning's news about Eddie Cibrian.

Why do I have the overwhelming feeling that Jesse's departure, especially if they decide to kill him off, will end up turning into an Eric and Calleigh "melodrama" moment?

Why do I feel that Jesse's death/departure will be used as another way for Eric and Calleigh to have their obligatory moment of discovery that seems to come with each and every episdoe these days.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Life's too short. We shouldn't waste anymore time. Look what happened to Jesse! What if that happened to one of us? I just couldn't deal with it!" :rolleyes:

Cue Eric screaming and yelling/mopping around like a whipped puppy or Calleigh on her death bed, or yelling or crying.

Maybe it's because lately everyone's tragedy is somehow turned around to how it must affect Eric and Calleigh. Can we spell n-a-r-c-i-s-s-i-s-t-i-c? I think that word not only defines both Calleigh and Eric, but their relationship as well.

9. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I hear ya, Delynn. I wasn't shocked by the news, but to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Moreso that it wasn't Procter who was leaving -- damn, the things this show could do without her presense!!
    I might add how IDIOTIC it will be to watch the one person with the worst health issues out of everyone in the entire lab wake up & be f*cking peachy after hacking up what little lungs she has left in her damn body!

I'm honestly left with no desire to sit through the premiere or all of season 9. E/C and thier drama in one episode & then kittens & puppies in the next - no thank you!
    Furthermore, I have a bad feeling more sad news is to come -- 2 people replaced AR, & it might be 2 people who leave to, financially, make room for him. When/if this happens, I will officially be done. Can't take any more of this bullsh*t.

10. Court

Court Prime Suspect

Oh I'm certain it will be and I'd bet dollars to donuts that his death will be downplayed big time. I don't expect to see the same emotional farewell that Speed got. Rather the funeral (if we even see one) will probably be very much in the background. God forbid SOMETHING take away focus from the E/C storyline for even a second. :scream:

No doubt. How many times can they shoot Eric or put Calleigh in the hospital? :rolleyes:

I'm telling ya, when the world comes to an end, the only things left will be duct tape, cockroaches and the E/C storyline. :p

11. alexa

alexa Witness

my biggest fear in your sentence is if ...for some reason its end with a "marry me...?"
    :brickwall:

12. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Those are the best lines I've heard all day, Court.

No, I wouldn't be surprised if Jesse's sendoff is a nonevent, however it happens. Rebecca Nevins was a recurring character, but this time there was no scene of Horatio somehow saying goodbye to her, either at the morgue or over her casket.

I'd hate to see Eric's or Calleigh's insurance premiums.

13. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Their hands, feet and mouths will be duct taped & they shall be tortured with the cockroaches! MWAHAHA!

14. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:beer:
    That's a Classic!! Great line, Court!

15. Court

Court Prime Suspect

Thanks guys. :) Glad I could bring some joy to this bleak day. ;)