Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Yeah unfortunately I had to watch it. But I had to laugh just at the way they wrote Calleigh's surname :guffaw: which was completely wrong.
    Anway I'm just glad they're not interviewing anyone else about this thing. I think I couldn't have coped with another disgusted face of Eva as the one she made when they asked her about E/C :lol:

Please, let's not put all the blame on Emily Procter & let's not defend Adam Rodriguez. He's the first one who wanted this ship with every fiber of his being, he's the one who bagan promoting even before s6 & he's the one who has always been talking about how beautiful this couple is.
    Surely Emily Procter, as an actress is enjoying, this moment. She has always wanted a fictional guy for her character & it would be pretty stupid from her not enjoying it right when TPTB gave you what you have alwas wanted.
    Adam Rodriguez has never asked a fictional girl for his character, but ha always wanted his character a little bit closer to Calleigh's one. Since s5 every interview with Adam about the show...actually was about the E/C romance & he has always spoken so higlhly of it.
    I'll give you just an example. Do you remembr the ET interview about the love triangle at the beginning of s6? i mean this
    Watch it & you may understand what I'm trying to say. He's always so serious when it's time to talk about Calleigh & Delko. On the other hand, Emily Procter is always trying to be funny & cute also talking about other people like in this case Johnny Whitworth & his character Jake.

Emily Procter is always kidding about it while Adam is always so serious about it as if it were the story of his life.
    I'm not trying to defend Ms. Prtocer. All I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't put all the blame on Emily Procter b/c she's not the only one promoting it. She's just part of the promotion project as she's an actress involved in this storyline. They're doing the same exact thing with Adam Rodriguez, so as we blame her we should blame him as well ;).

But, at the same time, I think we shouldn't blame them b/c they're just actors & they're part of this business. The ones to blame for these are just TPTB & not them ;)

But we all know they're not that interesting for TPTB. They just wrote this storyilne, but their main focus is another one :rolleyes:

Trust me, she's kidding! ;)

2. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

They have provided "guys" for Procter's character that have almost made her appear promiscuous, imo. There have been a succession of men for Calleigh through the show that have provided any number of dramatic "moments". What Procter appears to want is for that romantic story to be front and center for Calleigh on a show that is supposed to be an ensemble cast.

Season five is when TPTB decided to rachet up the media hype for the E/C romance storyline. So he was doing exactly what he was told to do - and I'm sure he was very, very excited at the prospect of his character getting a high profile storyline. What actor wouldn't be?

I just don't think that Rodriguez created or is driving this storyline. I think he's completely and totally behind it, yes! He'd be a fool not to be. It's an amazing opportunity for his character to not just "be one of the group". Both Calleigh and Eric have been seperated from the group and are now not part of the "team" (whatever that means at this point), but are a "couple". It's in our face every single episode - repeatedly. We can't get away from it if we try. :(

Yep. I remember that interview. Thanks for the link! :) I think the way Rodriguez talks about the relationship and Procter talks about it is the difference in personalities. He much more straight foward and serious about it. You're right about that.

I guess I see Procter's "kidding" about the relationships of her character in a different light. I see her as more coy and using "kidding" to "handle" the fans and coax them into liking what they are getting. While I'm sure that's a great plan of action with a lot of fans, I find that a little demeaning. I don't like being thought of as someone who is that easily manipulated.

I know that others see it as cute and sweet. It's just a different perspective. {shrug}

Please don't get me wrong. I used to LOVE Calleigh and I enjoyed and respected Ms. Procter. Caruso and Procter are the only reason I started watching CSI Miami. But something has changed. As hard as I try, things I see happening on the show are backing up things that I've been hearing for a long time and it's changed my perspective - a lot. :(

I understand what you're saying, Florry86. But where you think Ms. Procter is just promoting a storyline presented to her by TPTB, I think she is promoting a storyline that she actively pursued from TPTB for her character and therefore has a greater investment in seeing it continue.

I do understand that they are actors playing a part and that includes promoting whatever storyline TPTB tell them to promote.

I also understand that Rodriguez looked at a relationship between E/C as a major storyline that would allow him much more screen time and, as an actor, the ability to do different things with his character. Actors enjoy being front and center in most any work related project. It's the nature of what they do.

I'm not sure I'd use the word "blame" when referring to Ms. Procter and if that is how I made it sound then I apologize. I do, however, credit her with a significant amount of the storyline for the last two years - and I base that assessment on information gleened over a period of time, including Ms. Procter's enhanced storyline and presence on the show, to the exclusion of other characters, and the alienation from one character specifically.

So we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, Florry86. :) While I think Rodriguez was all for the romance, I don't think he had the "power" behind the scenes to affect an entire storyline, while I've heard repeatedly that Ms. Procter has just that kind of power.

If you are referring to E/C, I agree. That being front and center, however, is getting old and generating a lot of unhappy fans - and not just online fans.

I have to agree with greatfan, here. I don't think Procter is "kidding" in a flippant, joking manner. I think that each and every request for fans to "write in" is a serious request that she knows her fans will take seriously. There is no other reason for it to be a continous, ongoing part of her schtick.

3. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I'm going to have to agree with Delynn on every statement here. These actors do have to do thier promoting just like the rest of them, & they also have to hype it up & not give anything away. I think what is truly bothersome is that this story that both these actors have pimped out has managed to exclude other stories, & other characters - like Delynn stated - ONE IN SPECIFIC that's very very noticeable!! It's a bit hard to not look at them & want to kick them off thier cloud. This show isn't about THEM.
    I realize this isn't all thier fault, but when you're sick to death of this story then it becomes more unbearable to see these 2 talk about it as if it's the greatest thing for this show, they're the only ones who matter, & this romance is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm sick to death of seeing them pimp this thing out & continue being the "faces" of CSI: Miami.

I've seen far too many times now EP mention that she's getting what she wants. She wanted her character to have a boyfriend, & as EP once put it - "they gave me 2". She wanted e/c - she's getting it to the fullest. She wanted to have action shots like the boys - she got it. She even wanted the sappy Calleigh in the hospital -- again she got it. Her rumored request for having no scenes with Horatio was also received - all of this just so happened to take place since midseason 5.
    Sorry, no offence to anyone, but these aren't just coincidences. I don't doubt that EP is holding some of the reigns here so she can get what she wants.
    This is in no way bashing the actress, this is just what Im seeing that's pretty obvious, IMO, & to me it's pretty distasteful.
    People may disagree but I happen to see it as one of those "it's all about me, me, me, & only me". Maybe that isn't her intention, but it definitly gives off that feel after what we've been seeing & hearing for so long now.

4. electra

electra Pathologist

The thing is that liking or not the E/C relationship is a subject that fans can agree to disagree.Some like it and some don't becouse there is not an absolute truth.It's not like killing someone that we can all agree that is wrong.So Emily has the right to like the relationship or not and shouldn't be judged negatively becouse of it.I prefer not to comment about Emily being a determinant on the course of storylines becouse I am not a producer and don't want to make a mistake.

I loved the thread when it started becouse it's an opposite view but IMO the way Emily is being judged is too harsh.

5. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I think I stated my opinion in the wrong way. All I wanted to say is that if we want to blame someone for this along with TPTB we have to blame both EP & AR for going on with this crazy promotional stuff.
    But, at the same time, I find it pretty stupid to blame actors b/c of it. They're paid to do this & they're not responsible for anything. All they do is just go along with TPTB in this promotion.

I didn't mean that AR is part of TPTB, all I wanted to say that if you want to blame EP, you have to blame him as well. Still they didn't do anything wrong & gosh they're actors they're paid to act! ;)

IDK, I just thought your were kinda blaming her a little bit more telling that AR was more realistic than her.. I just wanted to let you know that they're at the same level, IMHO.

Not to mention that there's a huge difference between Calleigh Duquesne & Emily Procter. Calleigh is her charater & we all lost our respect towards her. But this doesn't mean we should loose our respect towards EP b/c of it. She's just playing a script & she's paid to do it since she's an actress.
    I for once lost my respect towards Calleigh but I'll never loos my respect towards Emily. And I'll never dare to do it, unless, of course, she turns out to be a criminal.
    As far as we know she's an actress & she's just playin a role. She shouldn't be blamed for it. She may would have better not come to Miami (maybe), but she has done her job & shouldn't be here blaming her just b/c she's working ;)

Sorry for this rant, but I think I had to do it just clarify my position, not mention the fact we're talking about real actors right now & I thought this thread was just about a fictional storyline on a tv show ;)

Anyway I wanted to apologize, I didn't mean to create all this revolution ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  6. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

If I stated somewhere that Ms. Procter didn't have a right to be happy with her storyline, I apologize. But I don't think I did. I think both Procter and Rodriguez should be thrilled with the E/C storyline. For all intents and purposes, Eric and Calleigh ARE CSI Miami at this point.

What I don't enjoy is the fact that although this storyline has taken over the show (and I know that an E/C shipper doesn't agree with that assessment), Ms. Procter is still asking people to write and and support more of this relationship. When is enough, enough?

I also realize that it is open to interpretation as to whether she was joking or not when she made the request. But I've just seen her use that "joke" too many times to believe that it's a joke any longer. I believe it is a serious request for her fans to write in and support her storyline.

For several years Ms. Procter requested that Calleigh be given a "boyfriend" and that she get "action sequences" like the men on the show, etc. She has been granted every request and then some as Calleigh is becoming more and more the focus of the show. And for her fans I'm sure they also couldn't be happier. I know they are many. But what about the fans who haven't enjoyed how the character has evolved? Like it or not, we count too. I've never hidden that I have lost all respect for the character at this point and therefore my enjoyment of the scenes involving Calleigh are few and far between. Last night was a delightful exception to most of this season. I truly enjoyed her scenes with Frank.

But I also know that there are a lot of other fans who watch to see Natalia, Ryan, Frank, Kyle, Horatio. Horatio is still a presence, but Ryan's part has dwindled and Natalia is all but gone at this point.

It then becomes very frustrating to see interviews where the actors who are getting a huge part of on air time, the huge part they have actively campaigned for, asking fans to send letters supporting more time for them when other actors on the show are being shoved aside to make room for their increased storyline already.

It doesn't seem fair. Again, when is enough, enough?

I truly enjoyed last night's episode and was grateful for the temporary vacation from the E/C ship. I know it will be back in most probably an ever increasing presence, but I really enjoyed the break.

I know to a fan of hers that I do sound like I'm being harsh. I really don't mean to be and I try hard to be very careful in my statement.

I do want to share, however, that I was over in the Emily thread earlier trying to find out if I was really not "getting" her, and I ran into the days right after Ausiello posted his "blind item" about a lead actress refusing to work with the lead actor on a series.

Of course most assumed it was CSI Miami and David and Emily (although a few pointed out that Emily always says very nice things about David - not unsual considering she is still working on the same show with him). I think I can count on one hand the number of posts that gave Caruso the benefit of the doubt. Most assumed immediately that he was the one indicated in the "blind item", he was guility and he is simply not a very nice person. Very swift and harsh judgments of the man based on stories of the past (bad behavior during NYPD Blue - and I could retire if I had a dime for everytime the man has apologized) and unsubstantiated rumors and stories people had heard.

As you can see, the perception of harshness isn't only found here. :(

7. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Not at all. I value your opinion very much, Florry86.

I understand that you are a huge fan of Emily's and I respect that.

I think it's time to move on. :)

8. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

From what I've seen, Emily always enjoys joking a little in pretty much every interview she's ever given. So I take it as a joke. I also see it as an encouragement for people to write in about the show, whether they like it or not. Ultimately, ratings and advertising dollars are most important in determining the direction of a show, but I doubt that all letters and feedback are completely ignored. In fact, on the CBS site, they specifically say that while they do not personally respond to every incoming message, they do read all of them. It doesn't mean that they'll do something different, but I'm sure they do keep opinions in mind because feedback can serve as a precursor to changes in ratings.

Believe it or not, the actors do not have a ton of say when it comes to the stories. They can suggest adding or deleting a line from a script, they can talk to the writers if they want, I'm sure. But it's the producers and writers that have the most power. Even if Emily did say something to them, we don't know how or the number of times she did. I don't think it's fair to assume that "whatever she wants, she gets" for Emily or any other actor on the show. You are free to have your opinion on the character, or even the the actor or actress playing the character, but keep in mind that we just don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

One reason why Calleigh may be more focused on, whether it's fair or not, is because she was there from the beginning of the show, she has the most authority (second to Horatio, that is), and people genuinely like her. The writers and producers are probably going mostly by the ratings and the amount of money they're making, and if more people like Calleigh than dislike her, they might be inclined to focus on her more often. As I said, you are free to disagree with that opinion, and free to send your feedback to the show, just as all of us are. In fact, I'd recommend it. Remind them that Frank, Natalia, and Ryan still exist.

Remember, though, that even if the actors are very supportive and vocal about their support for this storyline, we don't know how much say they really have. I don't think it's fair to blame them for other characters being ignored.

You are free to like or dislike any/all actors in the series. Personally, even though I'm a fan of Procter and the E/C storyline, I never believed that blind item was about Emily and David. Honestly, it could've been anyone, considering how loosely it was worded. And I don't think it's fair for me to pass judgement on people I really don't know.

9. mjszud

mjszud Captain

It is, but on the same token when the actors are out there promoting it the way they have, then it's bound to fuel the fans who dislike this relationship -- just as it fuels the fans who do like it. While some are overly delighted by how AR & EP are representing the show & this storyline, others are not.

10. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I know &, trust me, I'm one of those people who don't like it & don't like this promotion also actors are doing, but since they're paid to do this & they didn't write it, they're not to be blamed ;)

Having said this, please, let's move on :)

I watched the last episode & I was so glad that we didn't have any e/c romance it & I was also glad that, even if we didn't have any continuity from the last episode, we could see a little bit of anger from Ryan whenever he was with Calleigh or Delko.
    I really hope this is going to mean something for the future ;)

11. lusiana88

lusiana88 CSI Level One

I'm glad they avoided E/C scenes in Chip/Tuck. In a really technical way, not mentioning that I don't like that storyline at all, showing them together in every episode would have ruined completely the storyline (can it be worse than how it is now?) even for those who like it. Ok, we did not have a good continuity with Ryan's storyline, I was kinda expecting it, Miami has never been the "continuity show", writers have tried some times but it looks like they forget what they have written for the previous episode everytime they take a pen and a blank paper sheet.
    I was thinking: considering the department rules and all, would not be smarter for Eric and Calleigh to work separately? I thought about this when I saw the interview scene, I actually said that if one day their relationship accidentaly comes to the light, can they really risk every case they worked together? Other little question: do you remember when we had two cases in every episode? Creativity is running off lately..isn't it?

12. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Thank you so much for this post Lu, you can't even imagine how much I appreciate it ;)

Well I have to say that I always think about the (in)famous pending rule on relationships between co-workers & I think it's really time for this rule to become effective also b/c I can't get over the idea TPTB want to add some more drama on this couple. What a better drama than bringing back this rule or having their relationship coming to the light?
    As far as we know Ryan & Natalia are sensing something about it, but till they see these 2 kissing they can't be sure.
    So yeah I'd love to see it coming to the light so that we finally can have a reaction from the other memebrs of the team, possibely not "uh I knew you loved eahcothers" or "you're the best couple" :rolleyes:.

Not to mention that if Rick came back with his rule, I'd be ready to marry him.

We also have to consider they put this two together way befor the end of the season & yeah I think that the finale will include a little bit of drama for this couple. Otherwise what was the purpose of putting these two together by half of the season?

Still I really have the doubt TPTB forgot the pending rule & they will go on without problem & dramas. That's my worst fear :wtf:

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I was thinking that too. Or at least only sporadically working a case together as opposed to nearly all the time. :lol:

Yeah, those kinds of reactions would be kind of fanfic-ish. Remember the look Alexx gave Eric when she realized there was something going on between him and Natalia? It was like "I don't think it's a good idea dating in the workplace" type of look. I can't help but wonder what she'd say if she knew Eric and Cal were dating.

:guffaw:

Yeah, that's a good point. Usually couples get together at the end of the season or something. Putting it in the middle of the season to me is just suspicious.
    Just like with Flack/Angell. They got together sort of in the middle of the season-shared their first on-screen kiss. And in the finale, she's supposed to be killed off. So, that's why they've been showing the two of them together so often... cause there is major drama coming their way. so, I have to wonder if there's some heavy drama coming Eric and Cal's way as well. I'm not saying it'll be the same as on NY, but still... I just wonder why they were put together in the middle of the season.

Yeah, I worry about that too. As I've said, the continuity fairy doesn't often visit Miami. :lol:

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

You're right, lusiana88. For the on screen world, it would be much smarter for the two of them to work separately if they really wanted to keep their relationship under the radar.

For the fans who are less than thrilled with the relationship, it might make things a little easier, and lower the frustration a little, if they didn't have to see E/C joined at the hip (excuse the pun ;)) from beginning to end of every episode.

I think I have to agree with you here. While I think season seven is a definite improvement over seasons five and six, with the exception of the E/C ship (sorry shippers :(), there really are signs that something needs to change here.

It would be my very strong suggestion that the writers get back to the basics. Go back to the beginning and get to know your characters again as they were in the beginning. Find what motivated them and made them what they were and bring them back to it.

But then, that's just what I would do! ;)

15. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Considering what they have been doing, I find it pretty hard for them to be able to make E/C work together in few occasion. Look we have at least a scene of E/C working together in every single episode. I just can't picture TPTB chaging this (bad) habit :lol:

Oh I loved that Alexx's reaction. I so miss her also b/c I know she would react in such original way like "Cal, I knew you were desperate, but I would have never imagined that desperate :vulcan:" :lol:.
    People may think she would have a good reaction. Sorry, but I just can't see considering the only reaction we had from Alexx about Calleigh's boyfriend. IDK I just think she was kinda happy, but not to happy when she was with Jake. I just can't imagine her being happy for Calleigh knowing that she's with a collegue of her who she's working everyday/night with.

Do you realize that thanks to your post, now I'm picturing Eric or Calleigh being shot & then, of course, dying by the end of the season? You know you can't deceive me like this :lol:

But considering what these 2 have been doing lately (thanks to TPTB), I highly doubt they can be that smart:p

I don't consider TPTB creative, but surely they can do much better than what they're doing right now. I mean come on couldn't thehy just show the team drinking a beer or, even better, discussing a case while eating a sandwich? They did it once with Tim & Alexx. It's not gonna hurt them to write a scene like this.
    the whole team is around a table. Calleigh is drinking her coffee, Natalia is drinking a cup of tea, Delko is eating an hot-dog while Ryan is just eating something else & they're all discussing on wheather the victim was stabbed with a knife or something esle. All this while eating or drinking b/c...oh yeah it's lunch time :lol:.
    They're not going to die, if they write a scene like this :rolleyes:

Or even better...what a about a little gater spitting out a piece of a cadaver & a couple who's making out in the middle of the everglades has to see that scene??? So our lovely team can start a new investigation :)

I mean it's not that difficult.

I was just looking at some caps from "Body Count". Can you imagine that I didn't recognize both Calleigh & Delko? Not to mention H. They were way too different from what they're now.
    Look I just can't picture can't picture the new Calleigh with a pony tail having fun with a killer who wanted her dead :lol:.
    And what about Delko who was the one running at the time? Can you imagine the new Delko waling in a sewage system for an investigation? Now, honestly, I can imagine him running like her in order to escape from a rat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.