Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna know what happened to Horatio's touching one liner "if we don't stick together, we'll all die alone"
WOW. I ask TPTB - did this sentence ONLY apply to E/C?! :wtf:
Funny he says something like that to stick in everyone's mind about this TEAM, yet....do we see it?! Oh hell no! - we only see it with E/C.
That's really pathetic.

Years ago I looked at this team as very much thier own "family". I thought that's what TPTB were trying so hard to show us. Now (rather midS5), I can't even see that aspect when all I'm viewing is Eric/Calleigh, Eric/Calleigh, ERIC/CALLEIGH! It feels like they ended the original show when Eric was shot, & then started it back up again with a completely different one. I don't call it development, I don't call it natural progression, & I don't call it "meant to be". What it is-- is a "jump the shark" moment, & a complete waste of what TPTB really could've done with this show, the team, the characters, & TRUE development & progression.

And let's not forget that this bad writing was about Eric & Calleigh sleeping in Calleigh's house (probably also having sex *sorry I have to throw up after this image* ) while Ryan was beaten up like hell??? And you call that just bad writing? I mena their intention was to show us exactly what they showed. Otherwise they would have showed Natalia having a shower or just Calleigh having brakfast (w/o Eric in her bed!!!!).
They did show that Calleigh & Eric are now a couple, they did show them having a normal day as if anything had happened in the meantime, while Ryan was bleeding like hell.

I do call it bad writing, only because the impression given from the episode isn't that Ryan is hurt and missing and nobody cares, its that Ryan is hurt and missing and nobody KNOWS. It's the writers being unable to even carry over continuity from the closing scenes of the previous episode, where is certainly seems like they care and are going to look for Ryan, and the next episode where they seem to have suddenly gotten amnesia that he was even off the radar at all. Throughout the episode, Calleigh shows several times that she DOES care about Ryan -- she knows something is up, and she asks about it. More than once.

I think a lot of people attribute things they don't like to the E/C storyline that, IMO, aren't about E/C at all. I've seen people say that Calleigh lost her spine and just deferred to Eric in the last scene with Ryan when he shows up with the casing, and I wonder what show they're watching. Ryan lied to her. Several times. He's just proven that he lied to her not only when she asked him point blank what was wrong, but also all day, throughout the case. He stole evidence -- ballistics evidence, her evidence -- and lied to her to cover it up. And when Eric asks him why, he doesn't say "I was blackmailed the by the Russians" he says "there were extenuating circumstances." It's a non-answer. So when Eric kicks him out and he looks to Calleigh, she, personally, has no reason to back him up. And she has no reason to defend him, she has no reason to ask for more of an explanation -- they just did, and he hedged again. Is Calleigh the type of person who would demand more explanation? Yeah. But there is time for that later, and it probably requires a longer discussion than they have time for both in the Miami-verse, where they have a killer to catch and new evidence to process, and in the realm of TV where there are only 45 minutes or so to fit everything in. I don't think its out of character for Calleigh to put it aside from the time being -- and in doing so, brush Ryan aside for the time being -- and I don't think doing that has anything to do with E/C or with a loyalty to Eric over Ryan. I think it has everything to do with the extent to which she's been lied to all day by someone she trusted.

For the record -- I'm an E/C shipper, but I'm not someone who flails and squees and can't see the bigger picture or the value and validity of other ships -- canon or non. And I think y'all who aren't on board with E/C should totally have a place to vent about a pairing/storyline you don't like, so I think this thread is a good thing. I'm not speaking up in defense of E/C, cuz I'm pretty live-and-let-live about people's shipping preferences, I'm only speaking up because I think there are arguments being made that are reaching as far as the extent to which they blame one pairing/storyline for writing or character choices that may have nothing at all to do with that.

But you're right, this is probably a topic for another thread.

I do call it bad writing, only because the impression given from the episode isn't that Ryan is hurt and missing and nobody cares, its that Ryan is hurt and missing and nobody KNOWS. It's the writers being unable to even carry over continuity from the closing scenes of the previous episode, where is certainly seems like they care and are going to look for Ryan, and the next episode where they seem to have suddenly gotten amnesia that he was even off the radar at all.
I do agree. I will not say no one cares, however the problem area is where TPTB are making sure they don't KNOW what's going on in each others' lives, & it doesn't sit well when these people are supposed to be a team & always looking out for one another.

Throughout the episode, Calleigh shows several times that she DOES care about Ryan -- she knows something is up, and she asks about it. More than once.
I believe she does care, but I also think that the true Calleigh Duquesne would've put the clues together herself.

I think a lot of people attribute things they don't like to the E/C storyline that, IMO, aren't about E/C at all. I've seen people say that Calleigh lost her spine and just deferred to Eric in the last scene with Ryan when he shows up with the casing, and I wonder what show they're watching. Ryan lied to her. Several times. He's just proven that he lied to her not only when she asked him point blank what was wrong, but also all day, throughout the case. He stole evidence -- ballistics evidence, her evidence -- and lied to her to cover it up. And when Eric asks him why, he doesn't say "I was blackmailed the by the Russians" he says "there were extenuating circumstances." It's a non-answer. So when Eric kicks him out and he looks to Calleigh, she, personally, has no reason to back him up. And she has no reason to defend him, she has no reason to ask for more of an explanation -- they just did, and he hedged again. Is Calleigh the type of person who would demand more explanation? Yeah. But there is time for that later, and it probably requires a longer discussion than they have time for both in the Miami-verse, where they have a killer to catch and new evidence to process, and in the realm of TV where there are only 45 minutes or so to fit everything in. I don't think its out of character for Calleigh to put it aside from the time being -- and in doing so, brush Ryan aside for the time being -- and I don't think doing that has anything to do with E/C or with a loyalty to Eric over Ryan. I think it has everything to do with the extent to which she's been lied to all day by someone she trusted.
The main problem here is that TPTB has made sure we view E/C as a couple, & not just as Eric & Calleigh - members of the team - Ryan's co-workers. It's that part that doesn't sit well. It's no longer just 3 individuals, especially in that last scene - it felt like E/C as one, & Ryan as one; & when 2 of the 3 are a romantic pairing, it gives off a bad vibe that I just can't really explain. It's something I don't think an E/C fan would ever understand. Quite honestly I would feel the same if it were any other couple/show. I couldn't imagine (or enjoy it if it happened) if Grissom & Sara joined arms against Nick, or if Danny & Lindsay did the same against..say Hawkes.

'WISC' didn't highlight the team as a team in any way shape or form (hell, Natalia was nowhere in sight) - there was a lot of significance in Ryan being "on his own" until Horatio stepped in, & then Eric & Calleigh "together" -- that sign was made very clear, & very painful to see that it was so divided. To some, it may not seem as if e/c storyline had anything to do with any of what happened, but for some of us - it played a very big part.

I agree with a lot of what you said about the loss of team dynamic -- especially over the last few episodes. I do think the Cal/Eric storyline has taken focus away from opportunities to show the rest of the team, and I agree that that sucks. It also hurt the storyline they're going for -- the Russians are trying to break the team... okay, great. Where's this team we're supposed to be so concerned they're breaking? They've been pretty compartmentalized all season. Part of that, I'm sure, is for shooting scheduling (quicker to film two units simultaneously, but it means you're going to have a more splintered case load and some of your CSIs will never cross paths), but it is getting to the point where it interferes somewhat with the story arc they're going for.

I think part of the problem is that they've suddenly put Cal and Eric on every case together. They need to let them work with other people again. Let Eric work with Natalia -- I love the dynamic between those two. Let Calleigh work with Ryan; he could probably use the steady hand right about now, he's had a lot going on. I think TPTB have been dropping the ball on team dynamic for a long time now, and it's really unfortunate.

And I can see why people who aren't fans of E/C would be incredibly irritated by it, because if you're watching for team dynamic, you're getting nada. At least E/C fans are getting something we want every week, even if we miss the team.

SomewhereApart, I appreciate reading your POV and agree with some of what you’ve written, however there are a few points I where I (respectfully) disagree.

I think it has everything to do with the extent to which she's been lied to all day by someone she trusted
I’m not entirely sure that what I saw was a whole lot of trust in Ryan on Calleigh's part. Yes, she showed concern and questioned him more than once about what was going on, yet she also automatically made the assumption that he was once again gambling. If she trusted him, would that be the leap she’d automatically make? It’s not completely unlike her to think the worst about someone, she’s done so in the past, therefore I didn't see that response as being out of character. She never completely bought his excuses all day, so it’s not as if when he finally made an attempt to come clean, she was blown away by the fact that he’d been lying to her.

I've seen people say that Calleigh lost her spine and just deferred to Eric in the last scene with Ryan when he shows up with the casing, and I wonder what show they're watching.
I had much the same reaction when I watched that scene (although I never wondered what show I was watching). I felt as though Calleigh held back from following up on Ryan’s comment about “extenuating circumstances” because of Eric and his emotional reaction to the situation. Calleigh had Ryan looking to her for understanding and Eric making it clear he didn’t want to hear anything Ryan had to say (by repeatedly, and not too pleasantly - telling him to get out). What was she supposed to do in that situation? Was she supposed go against the wishes of Eric, her boyfriend, especially knowing how he has a way of taking everything personally and making it about his feelings?

I don't think its out of character for Calleigh to put it aside from the time being -- and in doing so, brush Ryan aside for the time being -- and I don't think doing that has anything to do with E/C or with a loyalty to Eric over Ryan.
I do not believe if she had been alone with Ryan she would have told him to get out or “brushed him aside”. I think she would have wanted to get to the bottom of it right then, especially since she knew he’d been holding back on her all day. That doesn’t mean all would have been forgiven immediately, she may have still been angry, disappointed, hurt, etc., but I do think had it not been for Eric, she would have heard Ryan out.

One question I have, is why was Ryan still hedging? Is it possible his hands were tied with regards to the Billy situation, that, for whatever reason, he was unable give them more of an answer than “extenuating circumstances”? Or is it that there’s just little trust between any of them anymore? After all, his two teammates are keeping their own secret from him, and he knows it.

I do call it bad writing, only because the impression given from the episode isn't that Ryan is hurt and missing and nobody cares, its that Ryan is hurt and missing and nobody KNOWS.
Was it simply bad writing or was the point of the opening to show just how fractured the team already is? I find it hard to believe that tptb simply forgot how the previous episode ended - it’s not like it aired months earlier! - so I took it as they tried reaching him, he never answered and they simply let it go. To my eyes, the statement the opening was making, was that Ryan was alone, being held hostage and tortured, while EC went about their business without a care in the world except each other. I thought it made a powerful statement about the priority of EC (and also of the rest of the team, since no one bothered about Ryan’s whereabouts). No one can deny that it was a completely different story when Calleigh didn’t answer her phone. In the previous ep, Eric told Calleigh the Russians were targeting them and that the situation was dangerous, so does that danger only apply to Calleigh & Eric and not Ryan? Under the circumstances, shouldn’t Eric have considered Ryan’s unknown whereabouts alarming? Even just a little? The idea that EC just blew it off and focused only on their happiness speaks volumes. Or it was incredibly sloppy writing on the part of tptb.

I think part of the problem is that they've suddenly put Cal and Eric on every case together.
There’s nothing “sudden” about this. EC have been all but joined at the hip for a couple seasons now; it’s one reason why some fans are so sick of the two of them always being together. We get EC paired up at work, EC keeping secrets, EC having personal, supportive moments no one else is privy to, and now, on top of that - we get EC romance scenes as well.

I think the writers are giving us lots of E/C right now to wrap up the storyline for the season, and hopefully when season 8 rolls around, their relationship will just be part of hte backdrop.
I don’t see the EC romance slipping off to the background anytime soon - what would be the point of having put them together and making such a big deal about it if they are not planning to get as much mileage out of them (and their romanace) as possible? Tptb have to get the bang for their buck. When was the last time anyone can remember AD making comments about the show? End of season 5? Yet she spoke up about EC to USA Today; that tells me this is a big deal story, one they intend to milk for as long as they can. Unfortunately for some fans, it’s a story that falls flat and doesn’t work. To whomever made the earlier comment that EC came off as roommates rather than lovers in that opening scene - I couldn’t agree more. Something was missing. For two new lovers, who are supposedly madly in love, I would’ve expected that to have been very obvious - even to someone who doesn’t care for them as a romantic pairing. It should have been very obvious that these two were hot for each other, or something along those lines.

I’m not entirely sure that what I saw was a whole lot of trust in Ryan on Calleigh's part. Yes, she showed concern and questioned him more than once about what was going on, yet she also automatically made the assumption that he was once again gambling. If she trusted him, would that be the leap she’d automatically make? It’s not completely unlike her to think the worst about someone, she’s done so in the past, therefore I didn't see that response as being out of character. She never completely bought his excuses all day, so it’s not as if when he finally made an attempt to come clean, she was blown away by the fact that he’d been lying to her.

Calleigh genuinely cares about Ryan, and knows that gambling is something that's hard for him. Speaking from personal experience, it is EXTREMELY hard to see someone you know struggle with addiction. It is also hard to trust them on some issues. Personally, I trust the addict I know in my real life to save me from a burning building, but I feel that I can't trust them with issues related to their addiction. I saw Calleigh's question as reasonable- she cares about Ryan and knows of his gambling addiction, and wants to help. She most likely trusts him with her life, but when she sees him acting suspiciously, she feels like she might not be able to trust him to tell her the truth about what's going on. If he doesn't tell her, what else is she supposed to think?

I had much the same reaction when I watched that scene (although I never wondered what show I was watching). I felt as though Calleigh held back from following up on Ryan’s comment about “extenuating circumstances” because of Eric and his emotional reaction to the situation. Calleigh had Ryan looking to her for understanding and Eric making it clear he didn’t want to hear anything Ryan had to say (by repeatedly, and not too pleasantly - telling him to get out). What was she supposed to do in that situation? Was she supposed go against the wishes of Eric, her boyfriend, especially knowing how he has a way of taking everything personally and making it about his feelings?

I do not believe if she had been alone with Ryan she would have told him to get out or “brushed him aside”. I think she would have wanted to get to the bottom of it right then, especially since she knew he’d been holding back on her all day. That doesn’t mean all would have been forgiven immediately, she may have still been angry, disappointed, hurt, etc., but I do think had it not been for Eric, she would have heard Ryan out.

I agree that if Calleigh had been alone with Ryan she would've wanted to get to the bottom of Ryan's issue. I still think her actions were appropriate, given the situation. Calleigh and Ryan have a different relationship than Ryan and Eric. Eric is obviously not as close to Ryan as Calleigh is. I think it would've been an invasion of privacy if Calleigh had gotten into the thick of it with Ryan while Eric was right there. Calleigh knows that there's a time and a place for everything. Right then, they had evidence to process (the whole bag of stuff on the table, as well as the shell casing) ASAP, considering the nature of the crime and the people that were involved.

One question I have, is why was Ryan still hedging? Is it possible his hands were tied with regards to the Billy situation, that, for whatever reason, he was unable give them more of an answer than “extenuating circumstances”? Or is it that there’s just little trust between any of them anymore? After all, his two teammates are keeping their own secret from him, and he knows it.

I'm not sure why Ryan didn't tell them, but in my personal opinion, I don't think it had to do with him not trusting Eric and Calleigh. As far as secrets are concerned, not telling a coworker about a personal relationship that's none of their business is not some terrible secret. Eric and Calleigh dating outside of work does not affect his career or his own personal life, assuming they are professional about it in the workplace (IMO, they have). Not to mention that they have a few good reasons for not bringing their relationship to light- one, to keep their personal life out of work for the good of the team, and two, an intimate relationship between coworkers could be frowned upon by the department. One could argue that maybe E/C were trying to protect Ryan so that if he was ever questioned by IAB about their relationship, he could honestly say he saw no real proof that E/C were involved. Ryan isn't a mean-spirited person, and I can't see him wanting to 'out' his coworkers on purpose.

Was it simply bad writing or was the point of the opening to show just how fractured the team already is? I find it hard to believe that tptb simply forgot how the previous episode ended - it’s not like it aired months earlier! - so I took it as they tried reaching him, he never answered and they simply let it go. To my eyes, the statement the opening was making, was that Ryan was alone, being held hostage and tortured, while EC went about their business without a care in the world except each other. I thought it made a powerful statement about the priority of EC (and also of the rest of the team, since no one bothered about Ryan’s whereabouts). No one can deny that it was a completely different story when Calleigh didn’t answer her phone. In the previous ep, Eric told Calleigh the Russians were targeting them and that the situation was dangerous, so does that danger only apply to Calleigh & Eric and not Ryan? Under the circumstances, shouldn’t Eric have considered Ryan’s unknown whereabouts alarming? Even just a little? The idea that EC just blew it off and focused only on their happiness speaks volumes. Or it was incredibly sloppy writing on the part of tptb.

Personally, I think it was just horribly bad writing. But that's my opinion, and you're free to agree or disagree. ;)

I don’t see the EC romance slipping off to the background anytime soon - what would be the point of having put them together and making such a big deal about it if they are not planning to get as much mileage out of them (and their romanace) as possible? Tptb have to get the bang for their buck. When was the last time anyone can remember AD making comments about the show? End of season 5? Yet she spoke up about EC to USA Today; that tells me this is a big deal story, one they intend to milk for as long as they can.

I see what you're saying. For the sake of the show, I do hope the relationship fades into the background next season. I'd like to think that the execs aren't stupid, and know that too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Well, for me it's a good thing, but I think the saying works if you see E/C as a bad thing. There is a point at which it is not just too much, but WAY too much ALL THE TIME, even more in excess than it is now. All we can do is wait and see what happens.

Throughout the episode, Calleigh shows several times that she DOES care about Ryan -- she knows something is up, and she asks about it. More than once.
Well we also know how she cares about that guy, so I have to say that it really surprised me her last reaction even if she asked him lots of times.

I think a lot of people attribute things they don't like to the E/C storyline that, IMO, aren't about E/C at all.
Trust me there are lots of things I do hate of this show, but they have nothing to do with E/C storyline ;).
Look when Speedle died in that horrible way. I just hated it & it had nothing to do with E/C also b/c they weren't even in TPTB's mind, by that time.
I've always hated writers since the beginning of the show & it didn't have anything to do with E/C storyline.

I've seen people say that Calleigh lost her spine and just deferred to Eric in the last scene with Ryan when he shows up with the casing, and I wonder what show they're watching.
Wrell I'm one of those people & here's what I think about that scene.
1) Ryan was stupid b/c he could have tried to explain it to them in that moment, but I guess he felt scared or, even worse, he doesn't feel comfortable when it's time to talk with those 2 together. Maybe if Calleigh had been alone, he could have tried to talk. I'm not saying that he would have been talking to her b/c when she once asked him what was wrong, he came up with that dentist justification. All I'm saying that I do justify him in this last scene for different reason
-it was about the Russian mob &, maybe he wanted to protect them
- I'm pretty sure he's a sensible person & he may have thought that telling them about Billy could have put that kid in danger. I know that it was all over, but I do think that Ryan didn't want to talk about it b/c he cares about that kid too much.
-I think the're no way to deny that Ryan doesn't trust them. He has some trust issues & there's no way he's going to open up himself to them.
2) With a person like Eric screaming all the time, how could you(Ryan) think you could explain your reason. I'm pretty sure that even if he explained it to Eric, Eri would have gone on screaming like hell.
3) Ryan had made something worse, IMHO, to Calleigh. He changed the money she gave him for his niece's iPod into supernotes. In that occasion he could have got her fired from the lab & there wasn't way she could come back. So, IMO, that was even worse than what he did in this episode. Ok he put the blame on another suspect by doing what he did with his fingerprints & he took that bullet, but he didn't sign any report for her. So he didn't do anything to her.
Still what he did was wrong.
4) Calleigh knows Ryan & she knew something was wrong. She also knew he didn't want to opne up but she tried to let him talk whenever she was alone with him. Once Delko is there yelling at him, she's there calm like a lamb. Now this is not Calleigh. Ok Ryan lied to her too many times, but Calleigh Duquesne, the bullet girl & not this lamb, would have insisted, insisted & insisted, even if this could mean coming out hurt but what he had done.

And here's when the bad writing comes back. They could have written a scene when Calleigh talked with Ryan alone, later. But they didn't do it b/c they're bad writers. But why on heart are they going back to continuity just with H/Juli/Ron/Yelina/Kyle & E/C stuff?? Why do they go back to their bad writers syndrome when they have to write something in terms of team spirit???????? :confused:
That's what I can't get.

I'm only speaking up because I think there are arguments being made that are reaching as far as the extent to which they blame one pairing/storyline for writing or character choices that may have nothing at all to do with that.
Well, it's a good thing you don't want this kind of things to happen & I agree with you, this would be just a little bit pathetic ;)
But, as I told before, I do think Miami has the worst writers ever & their bad writing influences everything: sotrylines, characters & couples.
Their bad writing influnced this last episode & some scenes which could have been far better considering the great acting of JT & other actors.
So when a scne like the last one betweeen Eric, Ryan & Cal disgusts me, I do think it's all about the bad writing & considering the fact they are the ones who opted for this romance, I do find myself to blame this couple as well. I think it's natural for some people to react like this. I do blame them, involuntarily.

All this hate I have for E/C, actually represents all my hate for CSI:Miami writers :p

Last edited:
Wrell I'm one of those people & here's what I think about that scene.
1) Ryan was stupid b/c he could have tried to explain it to them in that moment, but I guess he felt scared or, even worse, he doesn't feel comfortable when it's time to talk with those 2 together. Maybe if Calleigh had been alone, he could have tried to talk. I'm not saying that he would have been talking to her b/c when she once asked him what was wrong, he came up with that dentist justification.

I think Ryan was hesitant to tell anyone what was going on while the bad guys had Billy, no matter who it was. He told Horatio because Horatio had him backed into a corner and because, I truly believe, that Ryan trusts Horatio more than anyone on the team. I feel that Horatio, Alexx (when she was there) and Natalia are the only ones who have truly made Ryan feel included and part of the team.

All I'm saying that I do justify him in this last scene for different reason
-it was about the Russian mob &, maybe he wanted to protect them
- I'm pretty sure he's a sensible person & he may have thought that telling them about Billy could have put that kid in danger. I know that it was all over, but I do think that Ryan didn't want to talk about it b/c he cares about that kid too much.

I agree with you Florry86. Billy seems to mean a great deal to Ryan, coupled with the fact that he is a helpless child whose life is dependent upon Ryan's every action. Ryan has no idea who is watching him and when. If he feels it's too much to risk telling the team, well, Horatio has proven he's felt the same way on more than one occasion.

-I think the're no way to deny that Ryan doesn't trust them. He has some trust issues & there's no way he's going to open up himself to them.
2) With a person like Eric screaming all the time, how could you(Ryan) think you could explain your reason. I'm pretty sure that even if he explained it to Eric, Eri would have gone on screaming like hell.

While there are definitely two points of view on the scene with Ryan, Calleigh and Eric, I have to restate that I really felt it appeared as E/C as a unit against Ryan in an extremely hostile way with Eric yelling like he was. Calleigh made no attempt to show Ryan that she really wanted to hear what he had to say. She let Eric take the lead and Eric told Ryan in no uncertain terms to "get out!"

The viewer knew why Ryan had been unable to share the information earlier. Eric and Calleigh did not. But this is supposed to be a team mate. A person they have worked closely with for years. A person they are supposed to trust their life to. Didn't he deserve the benefit of the doubt when he stated their were extenuating circumstances? I think he did. I know a lot of fans don't think he did. We'll have to agree to disagree. :)

One other thing I do want to point out about Ryan "setting" someone else up. I got the impression that he was trying to do things in a way that he could walk it back as soon as Billy was found. The fact that GSR was found on the guards sleeve came as a completely unexpected turn of events to Ryan. He was trying desperately to keep Billy alive. Being responsible for your own life is one thing. Being responsible for another's - especially when it's a child - would be the worst kind of nightmare. I don't for one minute think he would have let that guard be convicted and I really can't believe anyone else would think that either.

4) Calleigh knows Ryan & she knew something was wrong. She also knew he didn't want to opne up but she tried to let him talk whenever she was alone with him. Once Delko is there yelling at him, she's there calm like a lamb. Now this is not Calleigh. Ok Ryan lied to her too many times, but Calleigh Duquesne, the bullet girl & not this lamb, would have insisted, insisted & insisted, even if this could mean coming out hurt but what he had done.

And here's when the bad writing comes back. They could have written a scene when Calleigh talked with Ryan alone, later.

Agreed. I think if it had been a scene with Calleigh and Ryan alone in the end, Ryan would have explained the situation to Calleigh. There was no way for Ryan to explain to both Eric and Calleigh with Eric in the emotional state he was in, yelling like that.

People seem to forget the physical and emotional stress that Ryan had been under. He hadn't had time to decompress and get himself together. Granted Eric and Calleigh didn't know that, but they apparently don't know Ryan well enough to know that this type of behavior means extreme duress. Sad after working with him for so many years.

It's also another example to me of their myopic fixation on each other to the exclusion of everyone and everything else.

Well, it's a good thing you don't want this kind of things to happen & I agree with you, this would be just a little bit pathetic ;)
But, as I told before, I do think Miami has the worst writers ever & their bad writing influences everything: sotrylines, characters & couples.
Their bad writing influnced this last episode & some scenes which could have been far better considering the great acting of JT & other actors.
So when a scne like the last one betweeen Eric, Ryan & Cal disgusts me, I do think it's all about the bad writing & considering the fact they are the ones who opted for this romance, I do find myself to blame this couple as well. I think it's natural for some people to react like this. I do blame them, involuntarily.

All this hate I have for E/C, actually represents all my hate for CSI:Miami writers :p

Well, I don't know if they're the worst writers ever, Florry86 :lol:, but I will agree that there is room for improvement. They have their agenda and they are definitely sticking to it - as they have for the past two and a half seasons.

Those of us who are less than thrilled with it are not a consideration at this point. Losing the respect of long time fans doesn't really affect the bottom line - money! It's only a change in the rating that will affect the storyline. [/QUOTE]

Those of us who are less than thrilled with it are not a consideration at this point. Losing the respect of long time fans doesn't really affect the bottom line - money! It's only a change in the rating that will affect the storyline.
That's the unfortunate truth.
I would hope they're smart enough to move on before thier ratings take a nosedive. At some point viewers all over will feel the exaustion with E/C just as we have -- this is a crime show -- not a chick-flick.

I don't feel that the writers are the worst, nor do I hate them. Disappointment is the word I choose. In the past, I've seen them write good creative episodes, & I've seen good character development, & tender moments. Sadly, that's where my disappointment comes in because I can't see that in these writers anymore -- they've moved thier focus elsewhere & seemingly forgot all that once was on the drawing board (even down to the true identities of some characters); & IMO, it was so they could shove in this "romance" between E/C.

I've seen Eric change all for the sake of this romance, as I have Calleigh -- Ryan also get's the "change" just so TPTB can have him gossiping over E/C (is 3 times really necessary, & IN character?). Horatio get's the change as well - why? Because heaven forbid they show Calleigh interact with anyone other than Eric & then it leaves Horatio looking like he cares less. Then we have Natalia whose development I have always enjoyed, however I am not stupid, nor blind, & can see where they switched her traits to be more of someone like Calleigh (job over love/team rock/protective), so that Calleigh can "fit" into the romantic storyline where originally she did not fit at all.

It's also another example to me of their myopic fixation on each other to the exclusion of everyone and everything else.
Well stated, Delynn.

The show as a whole seems to share that same myopic vision this season. Anyone catch the video @ ET online? Presumably it's about tonight's episode, yet it comes off more as just another chance to promote the EC romance. Tonight is not supposedly an EC themed episode, but surely we can't have the viewers forgetting the season's biggest story, can we? Once again, AR & EP are the only cast members interviewed, and naturally the romance gets talked about again. And people wonder why some of us are sick of it? How about a little focus on something (or someone) else for a change? I don't think this romance is ever going to fade into the background.

The show as a whole seems to share that same myopic vision this season. Anyone catch the video @ ET online? Presumably it's about tonight's episode, yet it comes off more as just another chance to promote the EC romance. Tonight is not supposedly an EC themed episode, but surely we can't have the viewers forgetting the season's biggest story, can we? Once again, AR & EP are the only cast members interviewed, and naturally the romance gets talked about again. And people wonder why some of us are sick of it? How about a little focus on something (or someone) else for a change? I don't think this romance is ever going to fade into the background.

I did notice that, abstract. :(

The only reason to interview Adam Rodriguez and Emily Procter when the episode has nothing to do with E/C ship and is actually focused on a non-ship storyline is to keep the ship in our faces. Notice both were asked about the E/C ship even though we've already heard it won't play a part in tonight episode. So instead of getting a break from it - they promote the show on ET and if we want to hear about CSI Miami we still have to listen to Rodriguez and Procter go on about the 'ship! [sigh} At least we didn't have to watch Jonathan, Eva or Rex have respond to questions about it.

Tonight, besides the plastic surgery story, is partially focused on Horatio, Julia and Ron. Wouldn't Caruso, Coates and Berkley have been the better choice?

I'm just so freaking tired of seeing E/C. :rolleyes:

I did notice, however, that Rodriguez has a much more realistic approach to the E/C ship in that he knows they'll have fun and then it will all go to hell and hopefully they'll at least salvage the friendship and they'll have fun along the way.

Procter is still trying to recruit people support this relationship angle by telling people to write in requesting what she wants to happen in the relationship. Yes, I know she's kidding and trying to be cute, but she does this a lot which leads me to believe she is trying to "keep those cards and letters coming!" so that this storyline that she's campaigned for so long to happen, doesn't get dropped.

Last edited:
Procter is still trying to recruit people support this relationship angle by telling people to write in requesting what she wants to happen in the relationship. Yes, I know she's kidding and trying to be cute, but she does this a lot which leads me to believe she is trying to "keep those cards and letters coming!" so that this storyline that she's campaigned for so long to happen, doesn't get dropped
Unfortunately,I don't think she's kidding.I hope there are just as many cards and letters coming from those that want the storyline dropped.

I'm just so freaking tired of seeing E/C. :rolleyes:
Well stated again, Delynn. :lol:

Tonight, besides the plastic surgery story, is partially focused on Horatio, Julia and Ron. Wouldn't Caruso, Coates and Berkley have been the better choice?
Why, yes, any one of them would have been a more appropriate choice - but then that might have underscored what is really important in Miami.

So instead of getting a break from it - they promote the show on ET and if we want to hear about CSI Miami we still have to listen to Rodriguez and Procter go on about the 'ship!
What I can't figure out is, by keeping EC at the center of everything, is it some desperate grab for ratings or do they really think that EC is all the fans really care about? I can't remember Miami ever hyping and forcing a story the way they have this one.
Procter is still trying to recruit people support this relationship angle by telling people to write in requesting what she wants to happen in the relationship. Yes, I know she's kidding and trying to be cute, but she does this a lot which leads me to believe she is trying to "keep those cards and letters coming!" so that this storyline that she's campaigned for so long to happen, doesn't get dropped.
It is coming off like she's got some kind of an agenda, isn't it. Wonder what the other - as in, non-EC - cast members think of all the attention focused on EC?

I hope there are just as many cards and letters coming from those that want the storyline dropped.
Maybe it's time to let tptb know that all fans aren't crazy about this never-ending story line.

Maybe it's time to let tptb know that all fans aren't crazy about this never-ending story line.

You know, I never in a million years thought I would ever care enough about what is happening on a tv show to take time out of my life to write a letter.

I was wrong. I'm finally got so tired of this E/C 'ship being shoved down my throat everytime I try to watch CSI Miami I broke down and did what for me is the unbelievable.

While I emailed CBS about my displeasure, I wrote a rather opinionated letter (not an email but a snail mail letter on actual paper with an actual stamp - two of them even! :eek:) about the trainwreck that is happening on CSI Miami. One to Ann Donahue and one to Jerry Bruckheimer.

I'm not fooling myself, however. If one of the people who opens the mail didn't throw it directly in the shredder and it really made it to someone who read it, it won't make a bit of difference to them. I'm just someone whose been watching the show since the day it first aired and I'm not saying what they want to hear.

Unless they see the $ affected I doubt they give a rat's ass what I think.

Quality is obviously not the object here. The money is all that matters.

What a sad statement when you have a talented group of actors like Caruso, Togo, La Rue and Linn. What an utterly amazing show they could be producing if they just had the desire. :(

Last edited:

I read this and saw "Berkley" and got confused thinking of Jake (cause that's his last name). :lol: I was trying to figure out why Jake would fit in that storyline. :lol: Then I realized you meant Elizabeth Berkely. :lol: I feel stupid now. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back