Episode #609: 'Stand Your Ground' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Lucy, Nov 16, 2007.

1. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

Re: Episode #609: 'Stand Your Ground' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS**

:devil:
    A couple of things struck me. Emily did well with her stunts, in spite of the brusing. Loved the Calleigh hour ; she does well in the action sequences; still have a problem with her in authority.

One of the reviewers calls Stetler Rick-at-the-ready! Aint' that the truth? But we do love him; lends that needed snarkiness to the proceedings. :)

What were tptb thinking by not having Horatio front & center comforting Calleigh during her trauma? He's the boss; he belonged with her for awhile, anyway. :rolleyes:

;)A pretty good episode with most of the right ingredients in place. Eric's almost too sweet and Ryan truly 'hit the ground running' after his suspension.

2. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I thought this was a well put together ep. It's one of the better ones so far this season as well.

It was amazing to ee a Calleigh centered ep, where the rest of the team was also heavily involved, and she had the best range of emotions as well. Wasn't too impressem with Jake and his bs about the drinks and then somehow trying to set Calleight up. JUst solified more that I do not like that character and he should be duct taped and thrown in the ocean. As for the opening it was beautiful, the handbag (OMG I want that!), the car (totally hot and very Calleigh). I just wondered why she rolled down the window and didn't turn on the AC, that would make more sense. But her reactions were dead on and very true to her nature. Stetler, while taking some nice fashion advice for once, was still a big butt. Guess that will never change.

H was in gloves and holding a flashlight, which was nice to see. Not to mention working with Ryan and giving him lot to do. Speaking of Ryan his clothes looked a lot better this week, I liked the orange shirt. Delko saying they had to collete all the glass and such was a nice light momet that worked well.

As for the case I like how it was very real and could possibly be in working form in schools. The candy flavored drugs really didn't suprise me as that is a tatic that has been used for kids to take legal medications. It was only a matter of time before the makers and delaers caught on. The sub that was dealing to kids was an absolute moron, thinking he wasn't going to get caught. Sadly the people closest to you are always watching and seeing the small things. Also it was sad because the science teacher died before she could serve justice.

In the end Calleigh confronting the Pete was a very good idea, she could tell him that this was how it's going to be and he wasn't seeing much for years to come. I give the ep a 9/10.

3. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Hey everyone:

Mightion — Love your review, particularly #6 ;)
    Wow, so people are finally starting to notice that H and Cal haven't interacted in 26 episodes :rolleyes: (Note that in "Man Down", it was a five-second , nine-word exchange, and in "Chain Reaction" they didn't even look at each other...)

Yea, I thought it was weird that Jake didn't seeme concerned about Cal, but hey, he didn't seem too broken up when she was shot in front of him in last year's "Going Going Gone."

somethingsdont -
    Yea, I totally agree w/you there. Where the heck was the rest of the team (and I don't just mean Horatio)? It's like, OK, Cal was almost killed, but who cares... I doubt that Eric is the only one who cares about her, but that's how this episode played out. You know, when something happens to Eric, it's like the world is coming to an end, but when Cal almost dies, it's like "Just another day at the crime lab..."

You know, I used to joke about that w/friends, but now it really is getting creepy - like seriously, H, what was that look about at the end - stay away from kids, for awhile, please! Maybe you should try talking to your MAIN CSI and find out what the hell is going on in her life before she has a f**king meltdown b/c Jake's an ass and screws up a crime scene. You know, he should have talked to her like in "Dead Zone," - Cal hurts herself w/a harpoon gun and H is all concerned, yet now, when Cal almost gets shot, run over and killed, H is just like "well we better document everything..." WTF? When do you NOT do that?

Carolyn318 — I agree! I kinda like Stetler now - he's at least a complex character - loved his "nothing personal" comment to H. I think he actually had a point, and I wish that whole "innocent bystander" thing hadn't been explained away so quickly or easily. I mean, is it inconceivable that an innocent person could've gotten killed in that crash? That would've been more interesting than that convoluted B-plot that took the focus off Cal and put it on ... I'm not sure what.

And the ending, again - ugh. I kept thinking, they always typically end the show w/H so he'll confront Cal about all this (like in "Dispo Day" or "Under the Influence) but... no. We get H tying up some loose ends. Was it me, or did he seem to care more about that kid than he did about his own CSI?

It's totally contradictory to the way the show has worked in years past - "Double Cap," "The Best Defense" are examples of great Calleigh shows where things were dealt with and other characters were involved. You'd think H would care about his top CSI nearly goin' down (and the drinking thing? Yea, he knows her dad's an alcoholic, and he's not addressing this on a personal level? ...ugh.)

Lucy - I was shocked H was examining a crime scene, too! I nearly passed out myself.

inthewind
    -Yep, my point exactly - he's so "super-human" now that it's rediculous. I'm sick of "super H" - he comes to everybody's rescue - but doesn't even try to talk to Calleigh? It makes no sense.

Anway, Cal still kicked ass, on the up side. Next week's episode looks like another winner... :rolleyes:

4. Della

Della Police Officer

I really didn’t like this episode at all. Aaaat... aaaallllll... In fact I didn’t like any of the characters that inhabited the bodies of those that I have liked for a fair bit now. In all honesty, I would say that, for me, this was the worst episode ever in the entire history of CSI Miami. The premise of it seemed not bad at all, but watching what actually happened was like having my teeth extracted one by one without any form of painkiller whatsoever. In other words, it was extremely painful to watch.

Calleigh’s attitude throughout the episode really made me grind my teeth together. I don’t know whether it was the SW’s choice or whether Emily Proctor herself was the one who decided that to inject an obnoxious, odious, unbecoming attitude into the Calleigh character was a good thing, but whoever did make such a decision was, quite frankly, waaaaay off the mark.

Yes, Calleigh is a strong character. She’s independent and feisty and can seriously look after herself, but obnoxious and arrogant are not the definition of a strong and independent character. In all honesty, they broadcast the complete opposite and I never would have associated obnoxious and arrogant with Calliegh Duquesne.

Yes, Calleigh’d had a gun stuffed in her face, but this is not the first time she has been in a dangerous situation where her life has been threatened or where her life has been in danger, but this is the first time, and I sincerely hope the last time, she has adopted such an inane, unflattering attitude because of it.

Then we had Alexx who was so cock-sure (of what I have no idea) when she welcomed Calleigh into the mortuary that I seriously wondered who had taken over her body for that entire scene. There was none of the empathy and sympathy that I would have expected from her, just an attitude that really surprised me – and that half-closed-eyed look of arrogance that she gave Calleigh made me want to slap her. Overall, I hated the fact that a character I adore was making me feel that way.

Then we had Horatio where, again, there were no scenes between him and Calleigh, which is seriously weird-ing me out now. Perhaps those who feel there may be a problem between David and Emily are correct? Not sure myself, but I’m definitely not going to place the blame on either one of them. Such things happen in show business, but if something has happened then I think it’s a crying shame that it can’t be sorted because I really am missing the quality of interaction between these two characters that we used to have in the first couple of seasons.

Horatio at the end of this episode with the young boy proved to me that last week’s deal was indeed a terrible, horrible, character damaging inconsistency, but then, because of last week’s deal, all I could think was, ‘Oh, right, so you’ll make a deal for a Canadian teenager, but only offer to be there every step of the way for the young boy this week? Hmm.’ Hopefully this kind of thinking will dissipate from this point on... Here’s hoping...

Stetler for me was about the best thing in this episode and I really do like the fact that they are evening him out now, where they are giving him credible explanations for his investigations and not just having them as a vendetta against Horatio. There is now a quality of reason to his appearances on-screen and enjoy that about the character now.

All in all, my optimistic nature is tempted to put this episode down to a complete out of character experience. I did notice that a few of David’s/Horatio’s scenes had been flipped/mirrored (his hair parting on the opposite side and what not) and maybe this might have compounded the feeling that, for me, this episode was something very much like an original Star Trek episode called “Mirror Mirror” where the crew had been transported to an alternate universe where their opposites were a complete contrast to their original selves. Still, very scary and a little worrisome too.

Such a shame that they completely ballsed up what could have been a really good episode. In all honesty, I think this is about the angriest I’ve been in all the five and a bit years CSI Miami has been screened. *whimper*

Still, on a lighter note, did anyone else notice how similar to Horatio Ryan sounded this week? The slight gravely texture to his voice? I blinked a couple of times and then snickered uncontrollably – chuckle.

Not a good one, but at least it can’t get any worse, can it?

:)

5. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Where do I start? This just wasn't my favorite. First off, the ending w/ Horatio pampering this young boy who sold drugs for shoes made me ill. All this "reflection" of Horatio & his son that TPTB are using is just a little too much for me. He should of been focusing on Calleigh's situation.

Alexx, Nat & Ryan...There wasn't alot of emphasis on the 'caring' but they are in danger everyday of their lives. Wasn't it just last week that Eric once again had a gun to his head? All the characters made reference at some point to Calleigh & her well-being & actually it was Alexx who called Calleigh down. In their line of duty, almost being killed is an everyday thing. Therefor that was not a big deal to me.

Jake... If 4 drinks puts a person on the path to alcoholism then my hubby is well on his way to rehab :rolleyes: :rolleyes:.
    I was glad that he came through for her in the end.
    I thought it seemed a little hypocritical on Calleigh's part to start wigging on 'alcoholism' when she had drinks as well. I hate feeling like that but its how I viewed it.

My big disappointment was that in the interview it was stated that she would have to decide between her job & Jake. There was never a decision made nor did their relationship even come into play with Stetler. I don't understand that , unless Marc Dube"s comment "in the end" meant at the end of the season. :confused: I was assuming it would be "at the end" of this epi, though.

Overall I just really thought they could of done more w/ this story. Instead it seemed to be overpowered by the teacher/drugs plot. Dissapointment.

6. miamirocks

Hey Della - yea, my sentiments exactly. I did feel weird about the way Calleigh was acting with Stetler (though I loved that she called him "Rick" LOL). I kept thinking back to "One of Our Own," where she was cool, calm and collected - that's what I always liked about Cal. And when she gets mad, it's not obnoxious - I think that's a good word to describe her attitude for parts of last night's ep.

I was really uncomfortable with her leering at Stetler and yelling like that - maybe that was b/c she's drinking, or b/c she knows she has a problem (with Jake, I mean, not necessarily w/drinking). Maybe she was like that b/c, for the first time in her career, she thought she might actually be in the wrong and killed someone, so she was ultra-defensive. I don't know.

7. Kit4na

Kit4na CSI Level Two

Well it was just another average episode. It could've been far more interesting but yet they messed this one up.. yet again.

Like others in this thread, I expected Horatio to talk to Calleigh about what happened. He didn't.. well that's so not like his character. They need to involve him more in the show.. Yeah sure he sometimes has episodes centered around him which is good BUT when there's an episode centered around someone else, we barely get to see him do anything. He doesn't process the crime scene, he just hangs around and lets his gut guide him to the killer.

Why is it that almost every suspect that they come across must have a record? The cases itself aren't as interesting as they used to be. And don't get me started on the split screens, they just take away all of the intensity of the research they're doing. What little research they are doing by the way.

There are really no jaw dropping cases anymore in csi miami. They're just "regular" homicides.

It didn't bother me that the kid did it because he wanted the shoes. He was 13, he didn't know any better..

The only episodes I liked so far this season have been the ones that involve around Joe LeBrock. The guy is a legend :D

8. Della

Della Police Officer

Hello miamirocks :)

I was inclined, for an eensy-teensy bit, to think the latter possibility that you mention about Calleigh's attitude, that she was feeling ultra-defensive in light of the possibility that she could have inadvertently killed an innocent. However, for me, that was blown completely out of the water when we saw her attitude at the end during the interview she held with the one who'd threatened her with the gun.

If, at that point, Calleigh had reverted back to the Calleigh I know and adore, which would have been confident and assured, then I think 'ultra-defensive' would have been an excellent explanation for her attitude previously, however, she was still mouthy and obnoxious even after being told that she hadn't killed an innocent.

All in all, in my opinion, Stetler's practicality and justifiable reason for holding the investigation in the first place made Calleigh and Horatio, (what with them both questioning Stetler's right to do so), appear as if they thought themselves far above the law, and that, for me, was the worst thing about this episode - because neither one has ever come across that way to me before.

9. miamirocks

I hear ya, Della. I'm not happy about the direction this show is going in terms of character development, but I do try and find explanations. I agree that the last scene w/Calleigh and that guy was way off - she is never that ... umm...what's the word I'm looking for ... bitchy? .... when interrogating a suspect. She was so off the wall in this episode. And definitely the "above the law" thing was bothersome - again, I think it would've been much more interesting had an innocent bystander actually been killed. What would H say then? And it would've haunted Calleigh and deepened her character, I think.

I understand that she was pissed at the guy who tried to kill her, but she's usually as cold as ice w/people she interrogates. The only reason I could see her actions playing out the way they did is b/c she's realizing she has major personal problems, and this incident brought them out - her issues w/Jake, w/her dad, even w/Eric... her life is out of control right now.

10. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

I didn't notice Calleigh having an attitude, of course she was angry and frustrated that she was being investigated and her actions were being called into question even though what she did was in self defense. She was almost run over and had a gun in her face, she did what she had to do.

I do agree with the posters who talked about Ryan being the only one to check on Calleigh and see how she was doing, I didn't think of that.

I did hate the ending, and how it focused on H and the little girl and not on Calleigh. Not once did H go to see how Calleigh was doing or talk to her about the incident. That sucked!

11. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I liked the episode, jake was in there? oh yeah the tiny ant meh I just ignore his presence and pretend people are talking to thin air. As to whether or not H is bordering on inapporperiate being around kids alot, I don't think so, I think if you are a person in which do not scare kids but allows them to feel comfortable, I don't see that as a bad thing.

No compassion for Calleigh? It seem to me that alot of them had it, Alex she not only called her down her tone of voice calling her baby showed that she cared, I think she called her down not just because of the woman but be cause she wanted to help her (Calleigh) out. As calleigh said "I'm not suppost to be in the field" (Not exact quote), and alex's response "does this look like the field?". Natalia seemed concerned when ryan who came in looking concerned were discussing the matter, Horatio tried to reason with rick that calleigh has a near perfect record and should be allowed to work and so on. They may have shown that concern in different ways but it was there. Eric and her are close, thats a given on him approaching her, H knows calleigh well enough to know what her thoughts would be on the matter, as it is said they share a bond (friendship) that times no words need to be spoken. And Calleigh is a tough girl, who doesn't like people fawning all over her with are you okay? how are you doing? her attitude catch the SOB and that will make me feel better.

Rick, was channeled down a bit from previous seasons. But he was still the PITA, now is worries weren't for any victim but how the county is sick of paying out money, whatever.

Calleigh's scene was pretty good, right down to I can't identify his face but dude here is the descript of his gun. The stunts were pretty good, I admit her attitude at first was kind of off, but then back in past eps she wasn't the one under fire, so she could be all calm and cool, I think between what happened, maybe the couple of drinks, and facing rick her nerves justifiably so were strung tight.

As to the kids involved, honestly its not uncommon for them to be neive get the shoes, sell the drugs, as to where the parents of the boy was, the older brother said they were in Hawaii which was why he was watching the younger brother. Who confessed. As to the girl the parents were probably around or went to get coffee, maybe were suppost to believe that H had their permission to question her when she woke up, But she didn't just suddenly wake up when H was in the room, she had to have woke up before that, because she told H a bit of info before about what happen before he even got started.

I think some of the problem is everyone including the powers that be were calling this the "Calleigh" episode, which kind of twists things, yes it was about calleigh but it was about others who connected to the crime that started out with her, sort of like going full circle. I read the interview Emily did and if she was happy with it, then awesome for her be proud of your work.

Again I enjoyed the episode I give it a 8/10 (I am minusing the ant, and the fact that Tripp was limited). Guess this makes me an odd person out.

12. miamirocks

CalleighEricFan - I hear you on that. I know Cal was upset, I guess it's just weird b/c she's never been this way before, even when she had a gun to her head at the end of Season 3...

Ummm.. yea, totally! I think this episode really highlighted to all CSI:Miami fans what DuCaine fans have been saying for a long time now - H and Cal for reasons unknown, all of a sudden have NO INTERACTION anymore. Watch the first three-and-a-half seasons, and you'll see a distinctly different raport and friendship. It's out of character and I'm glad others are finally noticing it

(Hey Lucy, my favorite reviewer :), are you hearing all this? ;) )

13. Della

Della Police Officer

I couldn't agree with you more, miamirocks.

Depth of character for me is exploring the good and the bad of a character and the showing of how one overcomes those bad things.

I really think that if this episode had had Calliegh inadvertently killing an innocent, it could have presented not only a golden opportunity in showing how she would have come to terms with something so traumatic (and as you say given us much more depth to the character), but it could also have given us a re-introduction of the wonderful chemistry that had once been between Horatio and Calliegh in the first couple of seasons, simply by having Horatio show Calleigh just how much he understands what she will have to come to terms with.

And yeah, it was such a dire missed opportunity.

This is another thing that seems to be going on and is bothering me. There's a lot of soap that's being introduced this season.

For the sake of the program, I'm not happy about the concentration they are giving the Horatio character in that respect, however, as a fan of the Horatio character I'm not really complaining - chuckle - but, in my opinion, the program is suffering because of it.

I honestly think that this episode was a half-arsed attempt at concentrating on the Calliegh character, which failed in spectacular fashion, because all that they introduced was ultimately left to audience speculation and none of it was fully followed through.

We are left to guess at what might have prompted Calleigh's out-of-character attitude - Left to wonder where Jake was when Calleigh left the bar - Whether what had actually transpired during their lunch break had contribute dto Calleigh's attitude - Whether Calleigh was actrually off duty for the entire day or whether it was a lunch break, which would bring into question her drinking anyway and so on and so on...

...And this is also something that bothered me because, for me, such things should never be left to audience interpretation, especially when, in my opinion, the main character is acting so out-of-character.

To be honest though I hate complaining about CSI Miami, because, all in all, I watch to be entertained, so for me to find myself complaining about something that I normally just sit back and enjoy whatever comes on-screen, says to me that maybe they're getting something wrong, because I've not been able to do that with this week's and last week's episode - Hopefully that'll change though :)

14. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I watched it this morning on the Tivo, and Calleigh kicked some butt. I like how Eric and Jake worked together (in a way, more-so Eric) to prove she was innocent. Calleigh in black was also mighty good. :D

This was just reported:

Ratings: Samantha Who?, CSI: Miami Highs
    10 pm
    CSI: Miami added 860 thou to hit a season high of 16.22 mil. The Bachelor finale surged 26 percent to 11.6 mil. Journeyman (5.75 mil) dropped another 470K.

So obviously Calleigh drama does real well for the show. :)

15. Della

Della Police Officer

Umm, that may depend on whether the 860 thousand stick around next week or not :D

I'd really like to be able to say whatever keeps CSI Miami being screened then it must be good, but there are certain things for me, even with CSI Miami, that I would far sooner see than a saturation of out-of-character soap occurrences on a regular basis.

Which, in all honesty, if they keep to the standards of the last two episodes, it may just turn out to be that way with CSI Miami and that for me would not be a good thing