Episode #508 'Darkroom' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

OK, the episode is 3/4 over. I have to ask a question, I am ok with Natalia being in the show and everything - not too happy with the whole taking a story from the real life of an actor on the show, that's a little too close to home I think, anyway on to my question. Why is Natalia Boa Vista wearing a dress and heals to work?! I know she wasn't planning on doing a search for her sister that day when she got dressed, but why would she even go to work dressed that way?! I mean, you never see Caleigh in a dress and heels for work. No CSI would wear that to work.

And why does it seem like Adam/Eric is less active in the show lately? This is the second episode he hasn't been in very much.

I didn't really like having an ep centered around Natalia...but now that i know it was taken from a real life account from the actress, I can see why they used her character for the ep. It was a good way for Eva to tell her story, she would have the emotional connection to play the part, and I think she wanted to warn up-comming actresses.

Not one of my favorite episodes, but somewhat captivating nonetheless, mainly because it was based in part on a real life situation. Loved that they showed several photos of yet-unidentified women at the very end, hopefully someone recognizes some of the women, and it can bring some families some closure out there.

Good beginning, nice to see once again that Miami didn't start out with a pool party and scantily clad perfect people. Set the tone of desperation and urgency quite nicely.

Snorted with laughter (an equal mixture of amusement and bitterness :lol: ) when the CSIs interviewed sister Anya's roommate about the call from the photographer - and the only thing she remembered was that "...he's like...really really old, about 35..." *snort* (Excuse me, I resemble that remark, and then some...)

And Erica the journalist? Total bitch, she showed her true colors in this ep, actually airing Anya's identity, knowing it could further endanger her life. LOVED seeing both Natalia and Calleigh get right up close and personal, in her face. Second week in a row that we see the lovely Calleigh lose a little bit of her calm, cool control. Go Calleigh! :D

The story involving Tommy and the missing fiance was rather disjointed, especially when we met his fiance finally. Was she actually enthralled by the creep, in the end? Hard to tell, and she certainly didn't give up any information that could have saved the lives of the other women, she ended up...protecting the killer in a way, simply because he spared her, telling her she was "special".

Not a bad ep, but as I said, not one of my favorites, either. Perhaps because it was based in part on real life events, but they had to weave fiction into it for the storyline, and both parts didn't seem to perfectly mesh.

Damn it, I can't believe I liked this episode! (I'm sorry, I don't mean to complain every week. Really. When viewing seasons past, this is my favorite show on TV. This season has just honestly been mind-bogglingly disappointing week after week)

But I almost liked it. Good enough to name it #2 after Rio, and it REALLY, REALLY HURTS ME to say that about a Natalia-centric episode.

She wasn't as much of a focus as I thought she would be. Horatio was back up to his scene-stealing tricks...the ones I love so very much. :) Action!H, with the door-kicking. More instances of Poor Damsel in Distress expressions than I could count. All those flash-freeze (a/k/a seizure-inducing) shots that were literally the show MAKING ICONS FOR ME. (seriously. I fell off the bed laughing going, "yes, way to cut out the Photoshop effort!") I have things to discuss in the Horatio thread. Moving on.

He held a press conference. He doesn't hold press conferences. The media is like, right after the FBI and Rick Stetler on his S*** List. And yet he was there making a statement, an elaborate statement with props and everything. WOW. That's impressive.

Lastly: I resisted saying this throughout the whole episode, because I knew it was a non-issue... but when he told Nat "She's lucky to have you," I couldn't hold back any longer: "Damn it Horatio! What did I say about the sisters of employees?!" (you only get one!)
-------
And that's it for Horatio, let's move on to Mini H! A/k/a Ryan, who seems to have called a halt to the picking on Nat. Although I'm mildly disappointed to lose my lone source of vicarious Nat-insulting, I didn't really want or expect him to remain a jerk at a time like this. And he was acting about the sweetest I've ever seen him when he tried to keep Natalia from panicking, reminding her that if her sister called, she was still alive. AW!

And later in the garage, with him defending the traumatized girl too afraid to name her captor...wanted to hug him almost as much as I wanted to smack Eric for ripping on her. Was nice that he defended Natalia and pointed out what SHE'D suffered, but really, there was no need to choose sides. Both women were victims, and they both deserve sympathy with regard to their abuse. With regards for how...oh, I know her name, JILL, seemed to be protecting her captor, I think she's still in shock, probably so terrified out of her mind - especially given the way she whispered "I was never alone" - she probably has it worked out in her mind that if she talks, he'll know, and he'll catch and kill her.

Speaking of stupid people with "Eric" in their name, how about 'Reporter Chick'? God, what a bitch. I honestly can't believe she released the name AND connected it to the crime lab...that's really cold and heartless. And Calleigh was freaking amazing when she told her off. *loves Calleigh*

Also, Alexx got much screen time! Yay!

Overall...this was a very good episode. Sure, there were scenes exceedingly similar to "Under Suspicion" and "Shock," and probably at least one other episode I can't remember just now, but I'm willing to overlook. Can we repeat the level of interest next week, minus Natalia? Then maybe I could declare the show "fixed" instead of "permanently broken."

So do all Miami tollbooth operators look like players in a hot roller derby championship? What the HELL was that about? Cause over here, they're all fat and gross, and male. Seriously, what the hell was that about? If my boss required me to wear mini skirts and high stockings to collect money in a tollbooth I'd sue him for sexual harassment. I mean, seriously, girls who work like that do NOT become tollbooth operators. Somebody please, please explain what the writers were trying to achieve with that one. I'd be forever grateful.

And how come you have to pay toll from your passenger's side? What if you don't have a passenger?

Why was Natalia dressed like she was going fine dining? Sun dress and high heels to process a crime scene? Give me a break.

I guess now Horatio will be marrying Anya. She's what, 17? Perfect age to become a HoBride. But uh, no, here's another Horatio/Natalia scene. I guess he can marry both. Big Love: Miami Style.

I feel sorry for all the epileptics who had to watch that last part.

Where the hell was Eric? You know what, though, I'd rather he be missing than dotting over Natalia.

Speaking of, this is the obligatory episode the forces us to feel sorry for her. I get the feeling there'll be 400 of those. Whatever. She's still the mole, for God's sake. I'll say, though, I did like when she reunited with her sister, who asked her if she was mad at her. That was a nice part. There, I admit it. Are you happy, show?

I especially loved this part, though:

Natalia: (phone rings) OMG, Anya, are you okay? OMG, that was my sister! She said she was---
Ryan: It's okay, dude, if she's calling then she's alive.
Natalia: Oh, okay, I guess you're right lol.

Uh, wasn't that kind of an important phone call? Why didn't they do anything about it? Natalia just sort of forgot about it in 5 seconds.

He was really old, like 35 or something. Ugh.

I know that girl was technically a virgin but, you know, that was a big ass key. You know? Just saying.

I think the Valera/Natalia animosity is still there. Interesting. Go Team Valera!

I love how Horatio spends the bulk of his time just hanging around the halls of the lab. Just standing there, staring at the walls. Horatio Caine: bastion of productivity. Whatever happened to his office? Can't he at least do some paperwork or something? I guess standing in front of the elevators is more important, though. Gotta make sure the UPS guy gets a warm welcome.

Seriously, though, what was up with the Go Go Tollbooth Operators? Is there a league of them or something? Do they have tricks or dance around whenever a car passes by? Do they strip for the drivers? Is it like Coyote Ugly: Tollbooth Style? I just... I just can't let go of that. I need some mind bleach.

And yet... no mechanical arms. Nice. Basically it's just a bunch of bimboes standing around in mini skirts, and if you don't like the view you can just speed by without paying the toll. Great set up there. I'm starting to think that in the entire city of Miami, one might only find two fully working brains, one of which belongs to a tourist and the other one to a dolphin.

So do all Miami tollbooth operators look like players in a hot roller derby championship? What the HELL was that about? Cause over here, they're all fat and gross, and male. Seriously, what the hell was that about? If my boss required me to wear mini skirts and high stockings to collect money in a tollbooth I'd sue him for sexual harassment. I mean, seriously, girls who work like that do NOT become tollbooth operators. Somebody please, please explain what the writers were trying to achieve with that one.

I was thinking the same thing when the show started. The only people I've seen at toll booths are scruffy old guys or over weight women. What are these girls on? Are they doing it for charity or something?

Now I'm wondering...was the 'reporter chick' Painted referred to the one who was actually ELR's sister for real?

Yankeeholic, I agree. And Miami's not alone, NY has a habit of doing that too with Stella. Ugh, wake up wardrobe!

Both women were victims, and they both deserve sympathy with regard to their abuse. With regards for how...oh, I know her name, JILL, seemed to be protecting her captor, I think she's still in shock, probably so terrified out of her mind - especially given the way she whispered "I was never alone" - she probably has it worked out in her mind that if she talks, he'll know, and he'll catch and kill her.

She was a victim (though she didn't have it as bad as the other girls), but she still had vital information regarding Anya's whereabouts that she wasn't giving up. That made her an accomplice. She also mislead the investigation and made up some bogus lie about being raped. I believe in real life people can be taken to court for keeping information that might ultimately cost a person's life (unless Dick Wolfe is a big fat liar), not to mention lying about being raped. The fact that she also handcuffed herself and lied raises some eyebrows, meaning she knew what she was doing. I mean, she could've just come forth and said she was a victim as well. So I could understand Eric's frustration. Imagine if your sister is about to get killed in 5 minutes and the only person who might know where she is doesn't wanna say anything and keeps delaying the investigation. It's not a black/white situation. I think it was a nice way to present the reality of what was happening, and considering Eric's sister was recently murdered, it was very realistic that he would take that side. To think that if someone might've intervened in the smallest of ways, Marisol might still be alive.

But nobody cares, so I'll take it to the Delko thread.

MacsGirlMel said:
Now I'm wondering...was the 'reporter chick' Painted referred to the one who was actually ELR's sister for real?

No...the 'reporter chick' that Painted was referring to was Erica Sikes played by Amy Laughlin. She's a recurring character on the show. Eva's sister, Nikka, was playing one of the reporters at the press conference. She had dark hair, and I believe was wearing a red shirt, if I'm not mistaken.

MacsGirlMel said:

Yankeeholic, I agree. And Miami's not alone, NY has a habit of doing that too with Stella. Ugh, wake up wardrobe!

The reporter that asked "who are these girls" or something like that was ELR real life sister.

I agree too Yankeeholic. That exact thought went through my mind. Heels, come one plus it was a really ugly dress.

I didn't really like this eppy. It was just werid.

We care, and it's true that it's not a black or white situation. Both sides are equaling valid. I think that girl's problem is called Stockholm syndrome.

It's a very real response to that situation. But you're right too; Delko wasn't being insensitive. It's simply not a case where you can pick sides without disregarding the other side's plight.

The reporter that was ELR's sister was the long haired Brunette who asked something like "Who are all these women?"

I loved this ep, I have to start with my usual cause its true the scenes of the show awesome, the sun shimmering on the water, the building shots, even the rocks and water.

As to how Natalia knew it was her sister, when she seen her sisters picture she tried to call her, when she got the voice mail she left a message and handed the phone to ryan and told him to hit re-dial, then headed for DNA. It was good to see that Natalia and Maxine being in the same room seemed like they really didn't have a problem working together.

Erica my how you haven't changed one bit, ambition over anything/anyone else means nothing to her, heart of steel and brain of fog. Sorry normally I don't result to that but geez, she got her info from NICK? It figures he would open his mouth and release that info for money, you know there was probably money in there somewhere.

Natalia has some definit fight in here. walking up to Erica like that. "Hey news chick" :lol:, and Calleigh letting Nat know that Erica wants that reaction (red light was blinking on the camera), then Calleigh's response to erica.

Erica: You do understand where I'm coming from don't you?
Calleigh: I do, I understand you have a job to do just like the rest of us.
Erica: Thank you.
Calleigh: I also understand your need for attention may have put the lives of these girls in even more danger.
Erica: My need for attention?
Calleigh: Mmhmm, you didn't just report the news you chose a salatious angle its more attention for you.
Erica: I'm a journalist, I want my attention on my stories.
Calleigh: If that were true sweet pea, you'd be writing for a newspaper, not planting your face on the evening news, have a nice day.

I think in this case everyone (Eric, Ryan, H, Maxine, and Calleigh) treated Natalia as one of their own, it might be through the tough situation she was in, but they seem to be coming around, while with this show its one step forward, two steps back, it is still nice to see.

Eva did great in this ep, while she did try to separate herself from the ep, those emotions were just enough at the surface, even the best of actors couldn't surpress them, it was in her eyes, in her body language. Including the when Natalia reunited with her sister, even though Eva's sister wasn't taken in real-life, the knowledge that she could have brought those emotions straight through. Heck it brought my emotions straight through.

The ending of the ep, H and Natalia brought forward the fact there was another case in California different suspect and when David narrated about the missing women, and the pictures rolled it was awesome, hopefully they can locate or get info on the rest of the women missing.

This ep I give it a 9 out of 10, (I didn't like Erica lol but loved the smack down she got from Ryan, Natalia, and Calleigh).

Here's the scene with Eva La Rue's real-life sister. In fact when I quote the sister's line I'll call her LR Sister-(La Rue Sister).

Scene from this episode
Erica Sikes: Lt. Caine. Who are the women in these photographs?
Horatio: As you can see, some of the women behind me have yet to be identified.
Erica Sikes: Where did these photographs come from?
Horatio: We recovered the photographs from a locked safe during the execution of a search warrant.
Female Reporter: Is that person a suspect?
Male Reporter: Is there anyone in custody?
LR Sister: Lieutenant. Who are these girls?

*breaking lurkerdom just for this episode :) *

Good lord, this was one of the absolutely worst episodes of Miami I have ever seen. I am generally very tolerant of the gigantic suspensions of disbelief required of Miami fans (I usually laugh since I love Miami) but it was completely ridiculous from that first scene of the rollerderby toll booth chicks onwards.

I can't believe how bad the writing was- just way too many convenient plot devices that didn't even have the grace to be clever. The passenger side toll (and when did Anya have time and the opportunity to write 'He's going to kill me!'?) and Natalia's idiotic forgetting of Anya's frantic call have already been mentioned but there was also the simple issue of why didn't they check the registration of the suspect car? A simple 'Reported stolen' or something like that would have been fine too (unless I missed a reference?)

If I saw my sister's picture among others linked to a suspected murder, I doubt I would say a lukewarm, "Oh my god, uh, wait, got to check something" and leave a bunch of puzzled co-workers. Unfortunately many of Natalia's lines were stilted and Eva didn't deliver them very well. Furthermore, it was a very poor operating decision to allow Natalia near the crime scene if they wouldn't even give her gloves so she wouldn't touch anything- wouldn't it have been better to be gloved just in case?! That should have been Horatio's call and he dropped it badly (thanks, writers). Lately it almost seems as if everyone is making the decisions and that just does not seem realistic in a police lab.

But that's not all! What about that poor girl among the rocks? Pulled out from a life and death situation in about 10 sec (not that you could tell from how calm she was) and then immediately forgotten. Horribly acted scene.

And Jill's fiance? Remember his earnest pleas and Horatio's promise? Don't worry, neither did the writers.

The catfight, while amusing, was a bit of a cheap laugh. And btw, I really don't like Calleigh's street-ho look. Miami is really bad for the inappropriate women's clothes (the footwear, Lord, the footwear!) but gah, it's getting a bit much. Please remember they are cops and they aren't working Vice. I also wish Emily Proctor would put back on a little weight, she is too thin and it's aged her badly.

I am not a huge fan of actors recreating dramatic episodes from their own lives and this episode completely did not do justice to a very sobering topic. I personally prefer such storylines done by actors unconnected to the real events.

The usual pretty shots of the city but I can't help feeling that the producers are faking out the weak writing with increasingly slick visual effects. In fact I am getting very tired of the flashing lights (that studio stalking was terrible to look at) rotating panels etc. To paraphrase an excellent Frank zinger: "Do I look as if I have 'Stupid' written across my bald head?"

Hmm, a bit longer rant than I intended, but this episode left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Back