"Empty Eyes" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Guys'. This thread will end up being locked. As far as I know Destiny has stated for us to stop arguing about it.

I hope she doesn't have to. It would be a shame to lose this thread.

Okay, I'd probably say that after the Nick/Sara stuff... I dunno - GSR always kind of exists on a different level for me. It's like "Well, obviously I liked the GSR, so then what next?"

So after GSR, then Nick/Sara, I did really enjoy the scene with Warrick. I like the thought of him as a little boy on that street, and then having to come back and deliver that news. A full, sad circle.

I wonder if there'll be any sort of continuity next week with Sara's face cut? I mean, sure, it's no Greg beating, but if it really is only a week, a faint outline would be believable. Of course, it's also a pain in the neck to keep up with for a makeup person when it'd probably be so darn faint the camera would barely pick it up. Nevermind. I answered my own question. Nevertheless, I still like the symbolism of it with Sara.

Been rewatching, again, and I totally failed to comment on the issue of adoption in this episode. It's something we've been dealing with a lot this season; displaced kids. The killer in Meet Market had been separated from his mother at birth. She gave him up. In this episode, Cammie gave her daughter up for adoption. We assume the MCSK is one of Ernie Dell's foster kids.

There's a strong theme running through the season about family, especially broken ones and displaced kids. I mean, we start of with Catherine, who only in the last few years found out who her real father was, losing her biological father. She was the first displaced kid. Then, we see how he watched her back by keeping the guy from Living Legend away from her... She was not forgotten. When the mom in Meet Market gave up her son, she never stopped thinking about him. She kept the photo album with his pictures in it because she didn't want to let him be forgotten. Ernie Dell had videos of his foster kids. Cammie had the pictures of her daughter, one for every year older she grew...

It's a big theme about family, and displacement, and all the many ways that can affect a person. Cammie's last words were a goodbye to her daughter, maybe some regret for not raising her... she called her by the name SHE gave her daughter, not her adoptive name. The mother in Meet Market was trying to reach back out to her son. Ernie Dell now has regrets because a kid he loved very much is a killer...

It's hard to pick out exactly what the message is throughout all this, but this episode made me think about it more than any other... it's about family.

And, aren't our CSIs a family? Don't they act like that every day? Helping each other up, watching out for each other, doing their best to rally around whomever is in danger or in need of comfort. When Greg was in court, Nick and Warrick ran simulations to try to help their friend. Sara was right there by Greg's side when he was on the ground, eyes swollen shut from a brutal beating. Even Grissom tried to reach out to Greg in his own way.

Sara was deeply affected by this week's case, and the family was right there for her. Nick checked up on her, making sure she was ok. Grissom was there to wipe away her tears.

They're all displaced kids, in their own ways. They're people who are seen as weird and geeky. They're the "science nerds" as Sara once put it. Grissom lost his dad young, Sara, too. Warrick was raised by his grandmother. Catherine found out who her biological father was late in life. Greg and Nick seem to have more stable family backgrounds, but they're still part of this mixed-up family. This episode showcased that, as have many others this season.

Regret is another big theme running through the season. It was here, again, in the father of Cammie's baby. He regretted not raising his child with Cammie. Sara regretted holding the killer's hand. It's all about choices and decisions and mistakes. However, it's about how they grow and evolve from these decisions, these mistakes, that impacts them as characters.

Sara has made the mistake of getting too close many times. But, she knows all the lectures. She can recognize when she makes a mistake, now. Honestly, her decision to ride along in the ambulance and hold the man's hand reminded me of her decision to bust into the bathroom in Play with Fire. She was gung-ho, and not thinking straight, and not about to stop. The difference, here, is her reaction. She's grown so much. Because, instead of getting defensive while someone ranted to her about being Superman, she opened up to her mistake. I love getting to see characters mature, and Sara's been on a wild journey. I can say that, because I really didn't like her when she came on the show. Really didn't. Now, she's my fav character, and it's partially because I think she has one of the best story arcs of any CSI.

I know I've ranted and raved about this episode extensively, already, but I felt bad about missing the adoption angle. Adoption is a beautiful thing, a wonderful idea. My grandmother was adopted. She adopted my aunt. My aunt adopted my two cousins. So, these kinds of stories and themes jump at me, sometimes.

I remember, back in season 2 or 3, Catherine told Grissom he was missing out on this family growing up around him. They were becoming a family. We've known for a while that they ARE a family. It was most evidenct in Grave Danger, but it comes up any time one of their own is in trouble. They rallied around Nick, around Brass, around Greg, and now around Sara. They've taken care of one another, and this episode was just another example of how far this team has come.

And, I'll shut up, now, because, honestly... I could keep going. And it'd more than likely become non-sensical really quickly. Ah, the dangers of writing CSI analyses while broken out in hives!

Good analysis of the recuring themes. I think they are doing well with the overall themes and storys through the seaon, just not with the individual eppys.

Yes, but they've never had relationships with another main character. That's the difference. If the character they're dating isn't on the show regularly, it's very very easy to tone down or spend very little time on that relationship. If Grissom and Sara have to work together every day, they have to find a way to interact through their relationship in the workplace.
That's one of the problems I have with the show now. Two main characters in a relationship = a lot less screentime for both characters individually. And that's why I think Sara had been there just for the GSR storyline until Empty Eyes.

My favorite scene? Warrick and the granny.

Talk about beating a "dead horse' what's the point here?.. so many other great threads to go on, if I "hated" something this bad, I wouldn't watch it, or wouldn't keep going through and talking about it!! WHY, nothing achieved or accomplished and saying the same thing, over and over.. we get it :eek:..and on the other characters, I love Greg and Nick and Warrick and all the rest..see a positive comment ;) and hope they continue forever, and keep on putting on great eps.like "EE" ;)

That's one of the problems I have with the show now. Two main characters in a relationship = a lot less screentime for both characters individually. And that's why I think Sara had been there just for the GSR storyline until Empty Eyes.

And it's one of the reasons I love it. lol. *shrug* Spice of life, I suppose.

EricaSJ said:
Yes, but they've never had relationships with another main character. That's the difference. If the character they're dating isn't on the show regularly, it's very very easy to tone down or spend very little time on that relationship. If Grissom and Sara have to work together every day, they have to find a way to interact through their relationship in the workplace.

My favorite scene? Warrick and the granny.

I agree. I am getting frustrated that Grissom no longer has a purpose in the show, other than the GSR storyline. I loved Grissom, because I am so much like him, but he isn't getting any real storylines, and his character has just gone downhill. I wish Sarah could be shown to be able to function without Grissom, too, because I have always felt the whole GSR thing has brought her character down.

desertwind said:
Talk about beating a "dead horse' what's the point here?.. so many other great threads to go on, if I "hated" something this bad, I wouldn't watch it, or wouldn't keep going through and talking about it!! WHY, nothing achieved or accomplished and saying the same thing, over and over.. we get it :eek:..and on the other characters, I love Greg and Nick and Warrick and all the rest..see a positive comment ;) and hope they continue forever, and keep on putting on great eps.like "EE" ;)
If you can talk about how you like something here, of course others can talk about how they dislike that thing. How good GSR is has been talked here over and over, too, and we get it, too. According to your theory, why keep talking about it? I think CSI is lucky that even though there are people who dislike a ship, or a character, or something else, they still have enough love for the SHOW itself for them to keep watching.

And I do think negative comments is more valuable than positive ones as long as they're constructive criticism.

If you can talk about how you like something here, of course others can talk about how they dislike that thing. How good GSR is has been talked here over and over, too, and we get it, too. According to your theory, whey keep talking about it? I think CSI is lucky that even though there are people who dislike a ship, or a character, or something else, they still have enough love for the SHOW itself for them to keep watching.

And I do think negative comments is more valuable than positive ones as long as they're constructive criticism.

And we've heard how GSR is bad. I think it's been pretty even, honestly.

But you're right - without the other side, the comments wouldn't mean much, and negative do have the power to be more constructive, and you can build on them.

In this episode, I don't think that there was enough "GSR" to really be having this in-depth a discussion, though.

I get less and less constructive the more frustrated I become, lol. I do try to explain why I have those opinions though, I don't want to repeat them, but people want to debate, so I do *shrug*

I think they've really shown that Grissom and Sara can function individually, especially in this episode. I mean, Sara was on her own for most of the episode (meaning, apart from Grissom). Sure, she saw him and talked to him occassionally, but she was working off of her own strength for most of the episode. She didn't go crying to him at every turn. Like an amazingly strong woman, she worked through her issues on her own as much as she could.

Sara made her own decisions this episode. On her own, she made the correlation between the fingerprints and the killer. She figured out the wine bottle would have his DNA on it. She was able to function and deal... But there comes a point at the end of the day when you want to go home to someone who will hold you and tell you it'll all be ok.

I had a wretched day at work last week. I was bawling, and all I wanted to do was get home to someone who loved me. That's what that end scene was about, to me. She can function without him, as evidenced by the rest of the episode, but she would like to go home to him, to someone who loves her, to hold her after a rough day.

As for Grissom, I still think he owns the MCSK storyline. And, I'm curious if the janitor at the end of the episode has anything to do with the MCSK, because that would be brilliant. I mean, even if that woman isn't one of the MCSK, people talk. I'm sure janitors talk, and there could be discussion of what goes on behind the scenes. Cleaners can get into places without being noticed because, unfortunately, so much of society views them as "invisible." The killer is obviously targeting Grissom, and that is all his. No matter who else is involved in the case, Grissom is the one this killer wants to attack, to tweak, to get at. So, sure, I think killing Sara would be an option for the killer, especially if it's a cleaner who saw Gil and Sara walking out with his arm around her back. It's all set-up for something bigger... I can feel it. :) Or, that's just the benadryl.

^ I totally agree on the Grissom one. He is the leading character of the show after all, and it's no surprise that he's involved in those important cases. I was talking about Sara mainly, and there really wasn't many impressive Sara scenes until Empty Eyes. But oh well, that's just me.

EricaSJ said:
^ I totally agree on the Grissom one. He is the leading character of the show after all, and it's no surprise that he's involved in those important cases. I was talking about Sara mainly, and there really wasn't many impressive Sara scenes until Empty Eyes. But oh well, that's just me.

No, I'm with you on the fact that there hasn't been much for Sara to work with this year, but it was the same last year. I only really remember strong Sara scenes from "Gum Drops" and "Roshamama." Ironically, both were written by the incredible Sarah Goldfinger who writes Sara like no one else in the business.

So, I don't think last season held many strong episodes for Sara, either, so I understand where you're saying that it seems like Sara's only been there to be a part of GSR. I will agree it's seemed that way this season, but I don't think it's because of GSR, if that makes any sense. We saw the same thing last season, in my opinion.

And, I'm a Sara fan before I'm a GSR fan. So, I'm passionate about my girl getting her episodes. The last time she got to shine as much as she did in EE was back in the days of "Nesting Dolls" and "Committed." Notably, both episodes featured heavy Grissom/Sara interaction, but highlighted Sara as a character, herself. So, I'm glad we finally came back to that this season, though I don't think Sara not having her own stand-out scenes is a thing unique to this season.

Hope that makes sense. LOL. I just took the second benadryl, so things are getting fuzzy.

EricaSJ said:

I agree with you, the whole season was just Sara tagging along with Grissom. I do like the MCSK for Grissom, I just wish he would have some personal storyline, and I wished the Sara wasn't working with him for that case, because it didn't separate the storyline with the relationship for me. They have worked together so much this season.

Back