"Empty Eyes" Discussion *SPOILERS*

I agree with you. One of the things that fascinated me about this show when it first started was how intelligent the stories were...how they expected a lot of the audience, and the stories were well thought out, seemed to have real substance, and kept you guessing/working right along with the csi's. I get the sense the writers now come together and say "ok...which character hasn't had an incident lately, and how can we make them suffer."

yeah, i think i know what you are saying. i believe that y'all miss the whole puzzle-scheme of this show where one evidence connects to another, which allows to assume some things and eventually get to the murderer by linking everything together. i gotta admit that i missed this kind of mystery in EE too, and as far as i remember i also complained about it last year during S6. but this season is so much better, many more things happened and it keeps me interested. in S6 we had a handful of pretty boring episodes so the fact that they didn't have this puzzle was accented a lot more. now, i don't really mind that there is less of it, but i still miss it sometimes.

you see if every episode had the perfect puzzle in it, it wouldn't be very realistic. in real life smart murderers happen quite rarely and usualy they are just plain dumbasses. the mysteries are not always solved in the way that every single piece of the puzzle is revealed, it's usually full of voids.

if CSI made a couple of episodes where there wasn't a perfect murder mystery (kinda a la Agatha Christie), and decided to do something a little different, i'm fine with that. tell me, did you anticipate this kind of ending of EE? cuz i sure didn't. it was surprising, the LACK of the puzzle was a twist nobody knew was coming.

you say that this season has been awful and different. but what about episodes like Living Legend and Burnout, the whole complicated mystery of the MCSK, the classic whodunits in Double Cross and Happenstance, or the whole Keppler case just to name a few?

i agree there was a whole lot of Cath!Drama this season and a lot of GSR for that matter. at some point S7 is the most personal yet, but also we had some amazing episodes that i would put in my Top10 anytime. don't forget that the season didn't end and i feel that some outstanding episodes are yet to come.

I doubt there has been a whole lot of Cath!Drama this season except for BTK 2. Sure Living Legend was Cath-heavy, but that ain't the typical Cath!Drama. In fact, it was a somewhat "fun" episode with a few scenes mentioning Cath's past. Quite far from Cath!Drama in my opinion. Leaving Las Vegas was also Cath-heavy, but all we saw was how she worked on the case. Nope, no Cath!Drama there.

I agree that there can't be the perfect puzzle all the time, but I think instead of having the killers just kind of pop up in such a lousy way, they could have left the cases open and let us see how the CSIs deal with the fact that they couldn't find a closure. It is, too me, much more realistic.

I doubt there has been a whole lot of Cath!Drama this season except for BTK 2. Sure Living Legend was Cath-heavy, but that ain't the typical Cath!Drama. In fact, it was a somewhat "fun" episode with a few scenes mentioning Cath's past. Quite far from Cath!Drama in my opinion. Leaving Las Vegas was also Cath-heavy, but all we saw was how she worked on the case. Nope, no Cath!Drama there.

The run-ins with Adam Novak were "dramatic". Dark parking lots, dramatic courtroom scene. I agree that there hasn't been a lot of the typical types of drama, but Catherine has had her fair share of screentime and storylines this year.

And here, xfcanadian, I will agree with you wholeheartedly and 100%. Why the hell this show has not used Gary Dourdan for the past four freaking years is something I will never, never understand. All the characters go through spurts of being in the background... but it's a perennial thing for him!

I wonder if perhaps he was Anthony Z's favorite or something, and once AZ left to do New York, the writers didn't quite know what to do with him.

sarahvma said:
I agree that there hasn't been a lot of the typical types of drama, but Catherine has had her fair share of screentime and storylines this year.
That's right. However, people were talking about storylines focused on certain characters emotion-wise, not really the screentime they have had. Also, I didn't say that Catherine haven't had enough storylines/screentime although I wouldn't mind more. A lot of scenes on CSI are dramatic as well. Two scenes with Adam Novak probably added some tension between him and Catherine, but it didn't make the typical Cath!Drama. And it turned out it ended a lot less "dramatically" than some people would have expected, which made me glad.

That's right. However, people were talking about storylines focused on certain characters emotion-wise, not really the screentime they have had. Also, I didn't say that Catherine haven't had enough storylines/screentime although I wouldn't mind more. A lot of scenes on CSI are dramatic as well. Two scenes with Adam Novak probably added some tension between him and Catherine, but it didn't make the typical Cath!Drama. And it turned out it ended a lot less "dramatically" than some people would have expected, which made me glad.

Agreed. She and her husband, unlike a lot of real-life couples who act, have rather cute chemistry.

I understand that, all I meant to say was that it's a balance. I would rather see Catherine merely being strong, and then perhaps letting Greg and Sara have a turn to do the crying game. Catherine is a much more enjoyable character without all of that, IMO. The other reason is that, unlike with Sara or Greg or Nick, it doesn't feel as though she carries her drama past any particular episode.

So it's almost like disposable angst. Here, you know Sara has been affected by it.

Back