Driving

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BlueCurl, May 10, 2007.

1. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

I have a car! ^_^
    I do not however have a valid licence to drive said car. T_T
    I own a 1986 Mercury Sable, silver grey, in good condition, but I'm in driver training right now so I can't drive it until if finish that in a month. Then I have tests, insurance and all that fun stuff to do first. *sigh* I love driving, but it's not so easy.
    I love that I have my car even though I'm only 17.

2. Turtlebaby

Turtlebaby Police Officer

I've been driving since I was 12. xD I'm still no good at it and make a horrible passenger.

I grew up in a farm setting and (this was... 12 years ago) my parents saw no harm in letting me drive the farm trucks to the field and back. When I was 14 I got a farm permit that basically states that I was allowed to drive my families vehicles on my family's property.

I took driver's education when I was 16 because it was mandatory before I could take my permit test. Makes sense right? I've been driving for two years already and they make me take a course? Riiiight. Longest 3 weeks of any summer. The great thing was that I didn't have to pay one penny AND I got half a HS credit on my school record for it. Because one of our teachers was also a DE instructor. He was awesome. lol. Taught us all a method for parallel parking that hasn't failed me yet... even though I RARELY ever do it. I don't like parallel parking. lol

I learned how to drive by basically fooling around with my best friend, my dad's old truck, and a obstacle course made out of straw bales. It was a blast.

I cannot believe how expensive it is for you guys to get a driver's license! I think *total* I paid maybe... $75. Maybe.

That is all.

3. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I've been driving for 5 years, since I was 16. I happen to think that I'm a pretty good driver even though my husband says I'm the worst driver he's ever seen :lol: I happen to think he's joking with me. The whole time I've been driving, I've been in no wrecks but I have gotten 3 speeding tickets :rolleyes:

When it comes to cars, I drive what I'm in the mood to drive. When I'm in a good mood, I drive the 2008 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, that my husband recently bought for our anniversary. When I'm in a bad mood and want to go a little fast :rolleyes: I either jump into my '99 or '07 Dodge Charger. If I'm supper pissed, I'll jump into my 69 Charger, which is my pride and joy, a sweet 16 birthday gift from my Aunt and Uncle :D

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Yes, a moose. Reindeers are annoying during the spring because those are so hard to see even they are close to road because of dirty snow. I guess they come to eat it because of the salt they put on the road during the winter. And when they decide to park on the road, they won't move :p

I found few pics what moose (or elk :p ) do to the cars [I don't know speed, but usually it's some 80km/h ]

Here's Volvo
    And
    here's Nissan

That's why we have lots and lots of fences by the road :p

5. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

^^ Err...The elk is different than a moose. :p Elk are quite a bit smaller--more similar to the caribou. Though they are in the same family as the moose.

Elk
    Caribou
    Moose

I saw an Elk in the windshield of a car once travelling to the mountains. :eek: It was a horrible sight. ^ I can see why your roads have fences, Ducky. :lol: Unfortunately, many roads here don't have fences so the elk just walk right out onto the road so they are hit by semis most of the time. Most are supposed to go a bit slower when entering elk country but they don't, which is unfortunate for the wildlife--especially during winter.

I have seen some fences here though.

6. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

Ouch! I am so glad I could still hit the brakes on time for those reindeers! I know that they are a bit smalles that mooses but still. That damage is huge!

And whoa! My mum wants to go to scandinavia again. Since my parents are divorced I probably will sacrifice myself to come along. It'll probably be Sweden though. I want to make a big tour through Finland! But enough wildlife in Sweden to. Well I'll be aware when I'm driving :p Not getting scared again after a near hit with a reindeer :p

7. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

Having those wild animals crossing your paths must be really dangerous, because of the damage tha can do to the cars and people inside and because they're big, and trying not to hit them maybe get you to hit another car or get out o the road. Luckyly for me, here we only have suicide bunnies...

8. Ducky

You know what. I've learnt the word elk to mean the same thing than moose, which is 'hirvi' in Finnish. And the first time I saw the word 'moose' was used by americans :p

So I blame the publisher WSOY and their OK English series :lol:

[it's ok, not the first mistake they've done :lol: ]

But yes, meant the bigger ones.

Btw moose can have similar horns that elk do :p

9. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

just house kept cats on the road here :p I almost ran a few over.

10. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

:lol: Very true. Either way, they're all kind of the same animal anyhow. I'm just one of those anal Canadians :eek: :p *gives Vodka*

It's always so heartbreaking to see animals crushed on the road by vehicles. I was driving down the highway last week and there was a dead deer just laying there. :eek: (Well most deers don't stand when they're dead anyhow :p)

Speed limits should be changed on the highways. :rolleyes:

Oh, yesterday I was in the car with my dad and we had this conversation:

Me: Dad! Get in your lane!
    Dad: Shut up.
    Me: You're going to get us killed.
    Dad: Shut up!
    Me: DAD! You almost hit that trailer! Learn to drive!
    Dad: Shut up.
    Me: STOP FOLLOWING TOO CLOSE!
    Dad: SHUT UP! SHUT UP!
    Me: Can I drive?

:lol: I'm either extra paranoid or my dad just can't drive.

11. touchcookies

touchcookies Witness

So I was in the car with a friend of mine on Saturday and all of a sudden a weird animal was just walking on the road. She stopped the car and then being the coward that she is she stayed in the car while I got out to see what it was. By this time it was already under her car(It walked straight under her car and wasn't fazed in the slightest by headlights or people) I knelt down on the ground and looked under the car while being ready to jump up in case it attacked me or something. It looked like a possum or an extremely big rat or something like that. The strange thing is we don't have either of those things here. I wanted to take a picture of it but my friend was freaking out and she wanted me to get back in the car so I didn't have a chance. We drove away and it just kept on walking down the road. am sad now cause it probably got run over

12. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

I can't wait until I can drive. I turn 15 and a half in feburary.

13. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

I hit a birdie today :(
    I felt so damn guilty. My sister was sitting next to me and was all like "Oh no, what did you do!? That poor little bird!...
    That didn't help with the whole guilt-feeling :p

Anyway, that wasn't the reason I came to post.
    I got pulled over last night for an alcohol control (no idea what the right english word is for that :p).
    So I was wondering, what are the regulations in your country, how much can you drink, were you ever pulled over? etc.

14. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

sobriety test is that alchohol test. Here they have large prevention kinda road blocks that they pull almost everyone off the road and do a sobriety test, check for drugs and other stuff. check for license and proof of insurance and stuff! I want to have one! I just want to blow into that thing! Once I came ocross one but they didn't pull me over. Thank god because I left my license and proo of insurance at home that time! I should have gone and picked it up and make turns each time so I would come across that road blockage and do that untill I would get pulled over!

The regulations here is 0.2promille for drivers that have their license < 5 years and after that it's 0.5 promille. 0.5 promille is about 2 glasses of beer (Heineken :p and stuff) So no heavy Irish beer.. . Ofcourse it also depends on what you had to eat before and your build.

15. Ducky

First *cough* FInland isn't Scandinavian country. Scandinavia = Denmark, Norway and Sweden. No Finland :p

And for that alcohol test (breathalyzer :p )been there like 6 times and I am always excited. Here they have some special campagnes on it on May and October and then they just make you do the test, no license checking or anything because they stop every car.

If I remember right, the limit here is 0.5 as well and umm... probably planning to reduce it to 0.2