Driving

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BlueCurl, May 10, 2007.

1. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Tommorrow my parents are going to show me how to start driving stick, which should be interesting.

2. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

That is not so hard! Here in Holland we learn to drive stick from the total beginning and 99% of the cars are with gear stick! I think it is much more fun than an automatic. My car is a automatic. I inharited from my grandma so basicly a free car... And for being a student I am glad to even have a car... But I prefer stick because it is just more fun!

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Oooh.. I've only seen automatic twice :D

Had some trouble to learn with our newer Honda to change to 6th gear (because it's still rare to have 6 gears) because in a stupid way reverse is next to 6th gear but there was said that you cannot accidentally change to reverse from 4th or 5th great.
    I mean... I usually accelerate 1st -> 2nd -> 4th and 6th or then 1th, 2th, 3th, 5th and 6th (6th is only used when driving 90km/h - 100km/h or faster)

4. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

Dang, ya'll make me feel old. :p

Well, I'm 35 and have been driving for 20 years. In California, at the time I was learning to drive, a teenager was eligible for a permit at 15 1/2. I had Driver's Ed (classroom) and Driver's Training (behind-the-wheel). Then, my Dad took me out for my necessary hours. That was an experience. :lol:

He was retired US Army and Army Reserve, so he could be a little gruff and loud. Once, right after he had new tires put on one of our cars, he took me out for driving practice on Pacific Coast Highway, which has some curves. I swerved to avoid a large rock in the road, and a small rock punctured one of the front tires. I pulled over to the side of the road and expected him to yell. He said, "Well kid, now I can teach you to change a flat tire." :lol:

I've been in several accidents. One was my fault; with the others, all I could do was sit, watch and wait for the impact. :eek: It's expensive to drive in California. Regular unleaded gas is currently $3.05 (US) per gallon, and I won't even tell you about car insurance. :(

5. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

I've never had a accident so far. Just a flat on the highway. That is not cool! Luckily there were no other cars because I would have taken those out with me. Just remembered the wheel to go one way and then I was about an inch removed from the ramps on the sides of the road when I stopped. I was driving about 120km/h (80 mph). Not fun. I "glided" over 4 lanes... So I was very lucky it was late at night and nobody was there around me at that time of the night. (I live in a big city)... Could have been a lot worse!

Besides the flat and a black tire tred on the road nothing happened. Well I was freaked out! I really didn;t want to drive after that (just had my license) But the need to go to Kung Fu practise was bigger! My mum was first bothered to be waken up because I called her whe she slept. I had no idea how to change a flat and I was scared out of my mind. And I was only a few miles away from home!

And uh. don;t complain about gas prizes! Just go to that thread and see how much Europeans have to pay (about three times the US citizens have to pay)...

6. touchcookies

touchcookies Witness

I don't drive yet (I could have gotten my license last month but I am too lazy) but I have been in the car with two of my friends when they got into minor accidents. Both f them had had their licenses for a year or so (maybe a bit less) and there by they confirmed that statistic about a certain amount of drivers being involved in a collision in their first year of driving.

Today my Dad was telling me that for the first year that I have my license I wont be allowed to have any distractions in the car with me. Some of the ones he listed were dogs,siblings, music that kind of thing. He is a little paranoid. I know one of my friends will be happy when I get my license cause currently she drives me around everywhere and she probably can't wait until I can drive. I think it's mostly because she always drives me home at night and her sister will never come with us so she always has to drive home alone after that. Don't worry Geni when I get my license I will drive you around as much as you want...if my parents let me

7. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

:lol: *huggles*

Then again if your parents don't want distractions in the vehicle, I'm not sure I should be allowed. :devil: I'm always playing with the radio, it's horrible.

And no worries (You're super to drive around especially when it involves food :lol:), the only reason I don't want to drive home alone is because I recently became one of those statistics you were talking about. I suppose we all have at least one accident in our lifetime, minor or serious--but if not, that's great. :)

Although I don't think it's very funny that my sister has my smashed up car as her picture on MSN. :rolleyes:

And whenever I'm driving at night, there's always a drunk in front of me. It gets a little tiring, especially because if I call the police, they won't come. Too much 'paperwork' or 'sleep' to catch up on, I suppose.

Yikes! :eek: Must be the most helpless feeling, especially if it's happening to you.

I would never want to see an accident happening - to people other than myself - , it's probably just as traumatic as being in one. (Which I have been and it was probably more terrible for the bus load of people my car almost rolled into. Gawd rollovers suck.)

8. Ducky

I've been in two accidents, no fun. And both not my fault :rolleyes: [ok, I was 6 in first, 2nd one happened a year ago)

As for car insurances - At least here it's depending how powerwful you car is.

As for gasoline prices... boohoo for US prices :p here I think it is (95E) 1.37€/litre
    Which means 1.96$ / litre

and US gallon is 3,8 litres so it's... bit over 7?

Don't know did I count it right.
    Diesel is about 1€ / litre at the moment - and I guess both will rise soon because they increase the tax in both.

Which I don't understand, if they want people to buy more dieselcars.
    I know dieselcars are not huge hit in US, I don't understand why? I think nowadays they can make really powerfull diesels. Doh, our Honda is 2.2 TD and I can tell you are not plug in the traffic with that :eek:

Anyways, I still love driving :D

9. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

I have diesel :cool:
    I drive a Volkswagen Polo with a TDI engine. I don't know that much about cars but I've heard it's a pretty good engine for a small car. :D

I've been in only one accident (absolutely not my fault), which happened on the first day I had my driver's license. A truck who was trying to overtake another truck pinned me against the railing. It was really weird, like everything happened in slow motion. Like PrettyEyes said:
    :(

And yes, insurance *is* a bitch. Here, the younger you are, the more expensive your insurance will be. Apparently, you're a higher risk when you're young... even though you can drive way better than some older drivers :rolleyes:

And don't you US-citizens DARE to complain about high gas prices :p

10. Ducky

Well turbodiesels (TDIs) are good ones. My sis drives normal Volvo and she once had to drive our Honda and I had to say "umm, just remember that this ain't your Volvo - this actually accelerates fast" and after that she was like "omg" BEcause it really is that you can be going 140km/h and don't reallt notice it :p

My thoughts for the another accident was more like "FUCK!" and turning wheel to the right and hoping it wouldn't hit.

It did.

11. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

I've had my full licence for 8 months now and on Wednesday I had my first accident :( it was only minor bump, just a bit of body work dentage.

I was beside myself all day and thought it was the end of the world :lol: I was in a strange city 60 miles away from home in morning rush hour and was all alone.

No injuries sustained but the other party is claiming for whiplash injuries off me :rolleyes: but neither car was goin' faster than 20mph :rolleyes:

I have to find some money from somewhere to pay for my insurance excess :mad:

12. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

Dawacko: Can you drive in the snow and stuff... Since our freeways are always snow free here down below... and I have driven in a storm but the road stayed free of snow and stuff.. But I really wonder how it must be like with real snow on the road. Slippery would be my guess..

Gas prizes here are currently Euro 1,47 for a litre. It was 1,53 So I'm already glad it went down 6 cents. When I go to Belgium I stangely get gas there :p It is cheaper there! Since I am there anyway I get cheaper gas!

13. Ducky

Yeah I can drive in a snow - tho they clear roads pretty well. At the moment our wintertyres are bit wide so it's bit hard to turn when there's lots of snow.
    Snow isn't slippery if it's just snow - but if there's ice under it - it is dang slippery. I mean, when it's snowed and it's been cleared, not slippery at all.

Here we cannot go to neighbour country because it's more expensive in Norway and Sweden and Russia the quality...erm... isn't always so good.

14. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

I've been driving for almost four years now and only had a little inciden, wich I admit I was the one who had the fault. The car stopped inthe middle of a high street and went down. I hit a stopped car, but just made a minimal scratch.

After that I hit a granite ball (here is used to avoid the cars stepping into the pedestrial zones) when i turned not to hit a kid that crossed in the middle of the street. The damage was minimal too.

I've been having problems now with the parking zone. My office is in a industrial zone and other cars, mostly little trucks use to hit and go. My poor Chevvy has marks everywhere.

15. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

I got in my first accident with another car this weekend! My damage was minimal as was hers. She cut me off and than attempted to turn and all I could do was rearend her. It was bad but everything's all good. I only sprained my wrist.

I've never driven stick. I'm far too comfortable with my little automatic :)