Driving

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BlueCurl, May 10, 2007.

1. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

On the downside, whern you have to drive back form concert, parties etc. you can't drink :p

And I don't feel independant. I have a bus ticket and when I desperately need to get somewhere I'll take the train. Ticket's aren't cheap but they're definitely less than gas+insurance+maitenance+speeding tickets+parking tickets etc.

On very rare occasions I'd take a cab even, if it's urgent.

2. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

We have a system for that :cool:
    We're about 5 people who live in the same area. So when we go out, we point out one person who doesn't drink alcohol all night and drives everyone home. Recompensation for that: the four other ones buy him drinks (cola, fanta, etc.) all night. It's really motivational for the one who's not drinking plus it's safe.

Sorry mods, if this seems chatty. I'll go now. Need sleep.
    Toi!

3. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

It's expensive true. But the independence is great that comes from it.
    I mainly drive because I like it. I just like driving.
    Second to get to Kung Fu takes about 2 hours by public transport and only 45 minutes by car.

I rarely drink and I love to drive so that is not a problem for me.

4. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

That's a clever idea I must say, although with the pricec for drinks around here I'd still be better off with a bus ticket.

Plus, you meet very interesting people on the train or bus at night. ;)

I don't know, guess I've just always been so used to not having a car that I never really considered needing one.

5. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

The fact that you live middle of nowhere and buses only go when schools are open and even then it's only 2 buses to one direction and 2 to other direction per day.

I don't have own car tho :rolleyes:

6. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Okay, I'll admit that's a very good reason for driving. I'm so glad I live in the city, I'd die in the countryside I think... Probably by wrapping myself around a tree with my brand new car :lol:

7. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

I live in a big city as well and have a lot of options for public transport but there are a few places I visit regular that takes a lot more time by public transport then by car.

I used to like the public transport and was very fine with it. But I had my lessons in driving and started to like it a lot! So I now I rather take the car because I enjoy it!

The whole independence thing: I got in the car and just like that I went to England. Then to France and back. It is really just get in the car and there we went. That was just great.

To my university I always go by public transport. There aren;t enough parking spaces available there and it aint free. And I live about 3 minute walk from the nearest subway station. And the fact that my university is connected to the same subway line as I live and is also nearbu a station. It takes about 30 minutes to get there.

But a large indoor facility where you can snowboard is 90 minutes by subway and train but only 20 minutes by car. And then Kung Fu is more than 2 hours by public transport and only 45 minutes by car.

8. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

Erm, I must admit that I've becme pretty lazy since I got the car, I hardly go anywhere by bike, let alone walk ;) When I want to drink alcohol I use buses, trains, or even the taxi. But I also guess that there'll be a day when I will have to use other transport means than my car, because the way the gas price is rising is scaring me! 1,40 € per litre for normal gas! :eek:
    About the drink/ drive problem: Normally I don't have a problem with driving, it's got a lot of advantages - I can say when we leave, I can pick the music^^, the night is much cheaper when you don't have to buy expensive drinks, and you don't have a hangover the next day. Tonight we'll go to the disco and I'll drive like (nearly) always, but I don't mind. I have the longest way to that city so it doesn't matter if I pick up some other guys, too, and when the music's good (and it always is in that disco!) I don't need alcohol to feel great! :)

9. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Well, I do. Guess that's the problem. :rolleyes:

YOu're right, gas prices are ridiculous. It's cheaper to buy vodka and stay home :p

10. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Administrator Administrator

I've lived in cities and in suburbs. If you're not in the city, you need a car. If you're in the city, for the most part, it's easier to take buses or subways if the city has subways.

11. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

I live outside my town, and, in fact, I work very far from home. I even did get two jobs just because I had a license. I couldn't have started my bussiness if I hadn't a driving license and a car, I travel a lot to another towns to see my cients.

12. CalleighD

CalleighD Lab Technician

I only live in a small-ish town and the bus services are pretty dire, so I can't wait until I pass my test. Also my friends are at university all over the country and if I want to go and see them, I could just get in my car and go, no buying train/plane tickets :p it's just easier (that is, if i pass lol)

13. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Well, I get my Driver's Permit early next month. I could have gotten it this month, but my parents and I have decided to wait a bit. I'm kind of anxious and nervous at the same time. And I have no idea what kind of car I want. :eek:

14. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

Good luck on the exams! CalleighD and vegaslights

@ vegaslights: I drive a car from '92 it is still in good shape though. For me it is suitable as long as it has an engine, 4 wheels and such :p as long as it gets me where I want to go. I am also attached to the car now. I just love it. Everybody drives in 1997+ models on the road... (95% of the people) and it is fun and cool to drive an old car imho then! Old School :p...

15. CalleighD

CalleighD Lab Technician

Thanks for the good luck wish :) *fingers crossed*
    When I pass i'll probably be driving an older car, there cheaper in the first place and cheaper to insure (as long as their not too old lol)