Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:NY

Re: The Great Ship Debate--CSI: NY

I know this isn't really about NY, but to answer your question, no, but GSR going canon has definately made me more...apprehensive about watching the show. I still need to watch it to be certain, because if they were ramming it down my throat, with a big bar of soap in between, I'd seriously consider not tuning in.

if a ship that you despise became canon, would you still watch?
Well, that's not why I'd stop watching, no. However, if a ship I don't like goes canon and the show becomes a soap opera with crime solving in the background and horrible relationship crap taking center stage, then I might not pay as much attention and eventually fall out of love with the show. I'm not watching NY for romance, that's why I read fanfic, visit the shipper forum, etc. I watch the show for CSI and if I see things there that encourage my shipping, that's fine. But I don't want romance to become the focus of the show. *shrug*

So to answer your question, no, I wouldn't stop watching for that reason, but it might be the first of a chain of events that could make me stop.

(Damn, I sounded kind of bitter, didn't I? :lol:)

Ehh, just a little bitter, but I do see where you're coming from. If a ship I loved did that, I would be pretty pissed--with this kind of show anyway. This show's not about the romance, it's about getting the bad guys.. :lol: All in all, if whoever becomes canon... it better not be soapy.

Well, a 'little bitter' is better than really bitter, I guess. :lol:

I know what you mean, but judging by Miami last season, if any ship goes canon it will mostly likely choke us with all of the soap. :rolleyes:

But here's a similar but opposite question to yours. ;)

If the ship you love never went canon, would you get frustrated and stop watching?

I'm just curious. :) Personally, I love my ship and even though a part of me still hopes it'll go canon, I wouldn't quit watching if it never happened. We've done well so far without canon ships, so I think we'd make things work. ;) (And it's really better this way anyhow.) But I wonder because I know some people really think or hope that their ship will be canon eventually.

To answer your question Fay, if Danny/Flack never went canon, I'd still watch NY. I love the show and I'd still get the little hints of something between D/F. Flack's staring at Danny is enough for me. ;)

To answer your question Radical, if the ship I don't like (Danny/Lindsay) went canon, I would also still watch NY. Whether I like it or not, that is no reason to stop watching but it better be in the background. I don't need to be reminded of it every week.

Then again, I still have hopes for the new detective and Danny having some kind of flirting thing going on. Especially if they have chemistry. I don't like flirting when there's absolutely no chemistry. :rolleyes:

Then again, I still have hopes for the new detective and Danny having some kind of flirting thing going on. Especially if they have chemistry. I don't like flirting when there's absolutely no chemistry. :rolleyes:
I agree. I mean, Danny isn't the only character who could get it on with the hot new detective, but since Carmine has chemistry with just about everyone, I'm hoping he'd have more with her than I see with Lindsay.

It would be nice if Hawkes or Flack flirted with her as well, but I think it's more likely to happen with Danny. :lol: Besides, what's wrong with wanting him to flirt with the new girl? It's not like he and Lindsay are actually in a relationship (yet, I guess I should add to be fair since we don't know how things will go). Like I said before, at this point all ships exist in shippers' minds, not on the show itself.

(But we'll see once the season starts if it's even a good idea--she might not have chemistry with him either. ;))

Having a ship I dislike going canon isn't gonna stop me from the show. I mean, I'm a HUGE SMACked shipper and knowning the Mac is hooking up with the ME isn't stopping me at all. Two characters being together is just a small aspect of the show. However, if it turns into CSI:Inner Romance meaning the show basically becomes a soap opera with lots of lovey dovey stuff I'll probably stop watching. This is one of the few shows that I watch for the drama, plot & characters, not because two people love each other. If they kept it offscreen, cool but if it's rubbed in our face with kisses and such forget about it. I'll save that for my imgination & fan fics ;).

Has Flack ever flirted with anybody (except Danny :p)? He's so professional. He needs to loosen up a bit.

Poor Hawkes, he definately needs to do some flirting. He's so neglected. :(

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see what the big deal is if Danny flirts with the new detective. If Danny didn't flirt, I'd know TPTB screwed him up. :)

What new detective? Did I miss something?

I think it would be cool if they would bring Angie Watson back and have Flack have a short thing with her. He was impressed with what a sharp memory she had and I can see him trying to encourage her to straighten up and make something out of her life because she's too smart to waste it as a petty criminal. I think she may be so smart that she just gets bored easily and needs some guidance. I wouldn't want it to last more than one or two shows though. Just a bit of ineraction and then she's off to pursue her destiny after some help from Don. They don't even have to kiss, maybe just a hug...

You must have missed it, lyne. :lol: There's going to be a new detective on CSI:NY, but we don't know much about her beyond who plays her. ;) Info can be found in the NY spoiler thread. :p

I read a fic with Flack/Angie Watson and it was pretty good. :) I don't know that I'd be strongly for that pairing on the show, but if it's just a few episodes I wouldn't be against it. ;) She was definitely a memorable character even with such a small part. :) And the interaction with Flack was cute. "Would these eyes lie" indeed. :p

Fay do you have a link to that story or know the author's name? I'd like to read it. I definitely wouldn't want the story to last more than say, two episodes. One would be plenty. At the end she's off to California or something and there's a hug and a kiss and that's it. Then maybe somewhere down the line they could do another episode with her in it. That's the kind of romance I like on shows like these, where one of the mains has a brief interlude with a guest character. I posted this before on another thread but I liked the Criminal Minds ep where Reid was in the pool with that model or whatever she was. It didn't go anywhere but we got to see cutiepie Reid make out with a girl...

Radical618 said:
So maybe this is the wrong place for this (if it is, ignore it), but if a ship that you (that's general too) despise became canon, would you still watch?

I was a huge, HUGE, Mulder and Scully shipper for such a long time that I understood when David Duchovny threw in the towel by the sixth season because he probably got tired with all the teasing of "will-they/won't they" and you could only stretch the flirting and teasing up to a point. After a while, people stopped caring.

It's the risk you have to take when you introduce a pairing in the first place. From day 1, the CSI:NY people have set up the Danny-Lindsay pair (with all the teasing and sideway- glances in Zoo York) and I'm sure if they're intelligent writers, they would have known that they have set a trap for themselves. The teasing and the romance will attract and annoy people at the same time and then they'll be confused whether to push through with it or delay it for another episode or for another season.

Actually, if a ship that I love takes such a long time to BECOME canon, then I tune out. I just don't have the patience. But for the case of Danny and Lindsay, I've said this before, I don't expect them to jump in bed together, or hold hands, or say "I'm crazy about you" to each other this season, or even the next. I need more back story on Lindsay, and even with Danny. I think we can expect another season-long teasing and flirting still (and hugging, as the promo has subtly suggested). And I don't expect them to get together until the series finale. If they do get together soon, I would expect one of them to move away because normal couples aren't fun to watch. That's what sitcoms are for.

And I don't expect them to get together until the series finale. If they do get together soon, I would expect one of them to move away because normal couples aren't fun to watch. That's what sitcoms are for.
I think that's part of what it comes down to for me. The writers of shows like this don't do normal relationships, not for very long--they eventually devolve into something like Stella/Frankie or some other bad ending. Someone leaves, someone dies, they break up and it's just awkward, awkward, awkward when one of them starts dating again, etc. It just doesn't seem like the writers can or will write a non-dysfunctional relationship. :rolleyes:

I'll send you the link, lyne. (I didn't even remember that it was written by our very own iluvroadrunner. ;))

Those are two of some of the reasons why I dont want ships to go Canon... I don't want them to hook-up and then it be over... I hate when that happens.... Holy cow, I could kill myself.

Hill really gave me hope when he said in the interview that he'd seen no evidence of any long term relationships in the show. But to answer the question, no, a ship that I hated going canon wouldn't make me stop watching the show, nor would a ship I enjoy never going canon have any effect. There's more to the show than that for me.

I guess with D/L I don't really see the same opposites that others do. I think Danny is the sweet one. I know Lindsay's physical appearance is "cute" but aside from the scenes in "Stuck on You," I've seen nothing cute about her personality. She's brittle and snappish, and just generally unpleasant overall. She doesn't strike me as a very nice character, which is probably part of my problem with her. I thought Stella was pretty tough and harsh in the beginning of the show, but since then Melina has showed us deeper layers to her and I've come to love the character. Anna hasn't done that with Lindsay.

I don't think Danny's a player; I think that label gets applied to him because he's attractive and flirty. He actually seemed very shy in "Risk" when approaching the girl on the train who was looking at him. And as others have said, he's polite to the women he works with.

I think in the Danny/Lindsay duo, it's actually Danny who is the sweet one. He's the one who gets involved in cases and concerned about the victims and the survivors (like in "Dancing with the Fishes" or "Super Men"), whereas Lindsay only gets emotionally involved in a case that directly reminds her of herself ("Stealing Home").

If Lindsay were a more pleasant or warmer character, I might like the pairing better. But I find her so self-involved and unpleasant that I can't see any reason why Danny would like her in the first place, and that makes it unbelievable for me. Maybe this season will remedy that, but I'm not overly-optimistic. The chemistry between the two would have to improve a lot as well, because that's really just not there at this point.

Back