Dear Writers... (Have something you want to say?)

Dear writers,

I love fanfiction. I really do. I enjoy seeing fellow fans explore the characters and write great stories. It makes me a happy fangirl.

But see, here's the thing--it kind of bothers me when I read a fanfic story that was written prior to the start of season 3 that includes lines about "it's not you, it's me" and wanting to "act on chemistry," and so on. See, this is fanfiction--well-written fanfiction, it's true, but it's still fanfiction. Call me crazy, but I would expect that a tv show with professional writers might not be pulling from the same set of stock situations that most fanfic writers (myself included) get their ideas from.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that ("Forrest Gump" reference, anyone? :p). Someone just told me about that excerpt from a fanfic and I felt the need to post.

Love (because NY is still the s**t, and hopefully will remain that way),
Fay

Dear Writers:

Thank you for creating appointment TV for me on a weekly basis.

I appreciate the Danny/Lindsay dynamic, and wait with bated breath as the relationship comes to fruition. Lindsay's been great for Danny, as she's assisted in his maturation. However, please don't sacrifice Danny's impulsiveness for the increase in maturity. It was great to see him ready to throw down with the IA Captain, who he "lovingly" referred to as Grandpa! :lol:

In addition, if you could also focus on the characters' teamwork, that would be most appreciated. They really banded together to clear Hawkes' and Danny's names, and to find Aiden's killer.

Finally, if you could somehow find your way into writing storylines where I don't know who the killer is as soon as I see him/her, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Love ya!

PrettyEyes :)

Ah, but alas, I must quote and reply. Don't take this personally, PrettyEyes. ;)

Dear writers,

I appreciate the Danny/Lindsay dynamic, and wait with bated breath as the relationship comes to fruition.
Yes, the dynamic is wonderful!--if, of course, it's meant to be lifeless and is supposed to have me scratching my head. I watch a forensic crime drama with 'bated breath' hoping that the relationship crap isn't pushed in at the expense of the rest of the show. A bit silly for me to be worrying about such a thing, probably, but that's how it is. Surely you don't intend for romantic storylines to take precedence over the other character development that you've started--I'd hate to think that you consider D/L more worthy of your time than the friendship between Mac and Stella, Flack's relationship with his father, Mac's desire to guide Danny in the right direction, etc. I mean really, with all of that in mind, I'm sure you aren't deliberately rushing forward with a half-baked romantic storyline. *laughs* Of course you wouldn't do that, because these other storylines have been around since season 1, and I'm sure you'd want to explore those possibilities. Right? :)

Lindsay's been great for Danny, as she's assisted in his maturation.
Yes, most definitely--if, of course, what you were going for was for Danny to become a doormat who seems to have lost his self-esteem lately. In season two, it was like nobody had a clue what was supposed to happen, and now all of a sudden Danny throws aside everything (including his self-respect) to try to snag him some Lindsay-lovin'. Wow, that definitely makes all kinds of sense for him. I must have completely missed who Danny Messer really is.

Other than that, much love to PrettyEyes's letter. ;)

Love (because despite my bitching, you do a lot of things right),
Fay

Faylinn said:
Ah, but alas, I must quote and reply. Don't take this personally, PrettyEyes. ;)

I take nothing personally, Fay! ;) However, part of earning a BA and attending law school taught me to always write or say what I mean, which I have. Others may disagree, malign my opinion or attempt to change my opinion; that's their prerogative. However, when I maintain my steadfast position and stand by what I write, don't take that personally either, please. :)

OT, but worth noting: In law school, a professor presented case facts and asked me if the plaintiff had a case. I said "no." He asked the same of the remaining 100 or so students in the class. They all said "yes." The professor then said, "Well, then you have a lot to learn, because this lady is correct and you're all wrong." He gave an opportunity for me to change my answer, but I stood my ground. Right or wrong, if I make an informed decision, I'll stand my ground. That's what my friends refer to as loyalty. :)

Well, I may not have a BA degree in anything, but I stand my ground as well. ;) Even 'informed' opinions are still opinions, and my intention was not to 'malign or attempt to change' anyone else's opinion, merely to 'disagree,' as you say. :)

^^ Fay, a lot of the kids I went to college with didn't want to be there. They were forced into the college option by parents who didn't grasp that their kids were not into the academic route of life. These kids were purposely failing classes so they could get out of college and into the work world or technical schools, which their parents deemed as "beneath them" but were really the kids' first choice.

The kids gathered information and had a plan that was right for them, but could not stand up for themselves. It's important that, no matter what is approached in life, a person takes into account all points of view and then makes a decision for him/herself. It's irrelevant if an individual has a degree or not. I'm just saying that since I attended college, I was able to witness the positive and negative aspects of the pursuit of a degree.

I've watched NY since S1, and for me, the D/L partnership and friendship has sparked new interest, both in watching them interact with each other and in watching them interact on an individual basis with the other team members. They've both adopted traits of the other without realizing it. That's nice to see. I also wish Mac would kick Peyton to the curb and focus on Stella, or Stella would gather her inner chutzpah and ask out Flack. I think both of those relationships scream "chemistry."

We're never going to agree, so as I wrote in the PM, we'll just agree to disagree on the D/L issue. :)

Well, agreeing to disagree still means disagreeing, I'm afraid. I can't say I'll ever support the idea of that pairing, much less several simultaneous pairings of main cast members on the show. In fanfic, sure, but I keep that separate.

Your comment about the BA seemed to me as though it was meant to imply superiority. That was my mistake, but I don't like when someone equates higher education with being more intelligent, and that it makes their opinions more valid. If that's not what you meant, which it clearly wasn't, then I apologize. ;)

Anywho, back to the task at hand:

Dear writers,

Keep Kyle Gallner on CSI:NY. Snap him up and give him a contract of some sort. Seriously, he is phenomenal, and he and Gary are amazing together. If you want great chemistry and interaction between the actors and characters, Mac and Reed will provide it.

Love (because I loved the Mac-Reed stuff in "Some Buried Bones"),
Fay

P.S. If you already have Kyle on some kind of contract...well, good job, and make sure he stays for a while. :D

Dear Writers,
Please ask Top to stop pilfering my brain. She sucked the words right out of there and it's scaring me.

Please also keep Peyton. Just how she is right now. I don't need a great big wangst-fest like you've done with Danny/Lindsay, I could live quite happily with the stolen glances, the little smiles, the eyesex. But also, keep showing her dealing with Sid, protecting Sheldon and squaring up to Stella, because I love it.

Also... the Lindsay-sekrit thing? Shoddy. Really, really shoddy. Ask the work experience kid to hand it back over and don't let them near a pen again. Honestly, when hearing of Anna's pregnancy, was the only thing you could think of? Let's ruin the continuity, have her part of some crazy teenage massacre, have her trauma-festing all over the place and then run back to Montana for a trial? Please. There are umpteen ways you could have had Anna work round her ever-growing bump, and this... this is a fail. It's ridiculous. You could have had her injured and in hospital for a while. Have her catch a bug - flu or mumps or mono. Something that lays you out for a bit. There's no set time frame between eps - Lindsay could have used the Vegas stalwart of "going to a seminar/conference/training thing", have her grandma die, or injure her in a car crash and you could have pulled out three eps which link together over a week. Terrorist group. Bombs. Crazy serial killer. (You've proved you can REALLY write those, and how - why couldn't we have had Shane Casey go at it over three eps?) Or have two eps of Shane Casey and link the whole thing to a story about Louie, since he was mentioned so much. Danny decides to check on him, yadda.

All of which could have been done without the totally stupid "try and find excuses not to show Anna at a crime scene", the terrible "Anna tries to cry", and my personal favourite "emotional wangst in a taxi". You could have laid her up at home or hospital and Danny could take her round chicken soup. You could have got Anna to pre-record some bits before she left. Phone calls. Hospital visits. Have her layin' on a couch at home with her leg/arm/head all strapped up.

Jeez.

PS) More Hawkes plz. And Flack. And Stella. And Sid. And make Danny lose it in at least one episode, so we can see if he is in fact the housecat we all suspect he's become?

PSS) Mac is making me squee this season. Nice!

Great idea for a thread, FAY, and I would add my two cents worth but just about everything I would like to say has been said already. If I could make a suggestion, however, perhaps TPTB could just fire the writers' room and let Peter Lenkov take over (when he's not too busy writing 24!)

Silencer said:
Dear Writers,
Please ask Top to stop pilfering my brain. She sucked the words right out of there and it's scaring me.

Top is scary like that. :lol: ;) :p Great minds think alike perhaps. :D

Please also keep Peyton. Just how she is right now. I don't need a great big wangst-fest like you've done with Danny/Lindsay, I could live quite happily with the stolen glances, the little smiles, the eyesex. But also, keep showing her dealing with Sid, protecting Sheldon and squaring up to Stella, because I love it.

I love Peyton, too. She's been a great addition to the show this season. The more Peyton, the better.

my personal favourite "emotional wangst in a taxi".

Oooh, I love the word "wangst." It perfectly sums up the stupidity of Lindsay's behavior in that episode and the Danny/Lindsay pairing in general. :lol:

ugh my computer died a couple of days ago and I'm trying to deal with a new laptop ... taking me forever to type anything now :lol:

Silencer said:
Absolutely! Now THAT sort of 'romance' in this series I can deal with. Eyesex and stolen glances .. hotter than hell. Wangst (great word, btw) - leaves me yawning and downright irritated.

Crazy serial killer. (You've proved you can REALLY write those, and how - why couldn't we have had Shane Casey go at it over three eps?) Or have two eps of Shane Casey and link the whole thing to a story about Louie.
I expected a lot more of the Shane Casey arc. In length, I mean. Those two episodes were FAR and away the best episodes yet this season. They were gripping. I thought the arc was going to be much more far reaching. Disappointed.

Yes. And:

Dear Writers,
Can you not hear us screaming: LOUIE LOUIE LOUIE??????? we .... want ..... to .... know what's going on with that.

Well said. :lol:

PSS) Mac is making me squee this season. Nice!
Yes yes yes. There has been many an instance this season where the screen has sizzled because Sinise gets to do what Sinise can really do. FINALLY. I LOVE that guy. Pissy!Mac is the scariest thing ever to behold. :eek: I've been loving the Flack/Mac dynamic this season. BUT. Where is the Danny/Mac relationship going??

Fan123 said:
THINK: CHARACTER DRIVEN CONTINUITY ..
A RICH BASE HAS BEEN BUILT MAKE IT RICHER.....
Bingo.

Dear Writers,

Please, please, please listen to us. Just what bribe will it take? :D

Dear writers,

I'm loving the Mac/Reed storyline so far. Please keep the kid around for as long as possible and uhm, just a little reminder, Claire Conrad Taylor belongs to the dead. Nothing personal, we don't even know her, but there's no need for an unexpected surprise.

Dear Writers,
Can you not hear us screaming: LOUIE LOUIE LOUIE??????? we .... want ..... to .... know what's going on with that.

I've given up writing about that and am creating my own little scenario in my head but since you mentioned it... *falls down on her knees*

Dear writers,
In the first two seasons you gave us excellent snippets in the backgrounds of the characters. We had Danny and the whole Tanglewood and mob connections, Stella being bought up in care, Flack and his uneasy relationship with his father and Mac grieving over his wife. Whislt these storylines continued to pop up throughout seasons 1 and 2, it all seems to have been put on the back burner to create love for the characters. BRING BACK THE DRAMA.
I'd much rather see these characters going through angst and drama than have them all lovey dovey. Yeah I'm all for a relationship between characters if the chemistry is there, (hint Danny and Flack) if it's written believably well and it doesn't take time away from the genuine drama and storylines!!
OK there's my rant!!
You have so many storylines that could be like gold dust, hell you have the characters and actors to make them that way. Don't go chasing after the really crap predictable ones!!

crankyjules said:
BUT. Where is the Danny/Mac relationship going??

That would be down the plughole, in favour of the great Wangstathon 2007. Taxis! Letters! UNREQUITED LUV!1111.

God forbid two adults actually talk to each other. Jeez, jeez, and furthermore... jeez.

Back