Dear Writers... (Have something you want to say?)

I'm just going to get this out of the way. The writing of Mac Taylor on CSI:NY has been a travesty in S3. A lot of folks on TalkCSI have put forth the idea that the radical shift in behavior from S1 to S3 is nothing more than a logical progression, an evolution meant to show us that he's finally trying to cope with Claire's death.

Bunk.

Mac, like every other heroic character on TV, bends the rules whenever it suits, and because he's the hero, no one much minds. But Christ on a cracker, the inconsistency is mind-croggling, and it only becomes more evident when you watch S1.

In "Man a Mile", Danny has a "gut feeling" that a Sand Hog is involved in the murder of a fellow Hog. Mac loftily tells him that gut feelings are good, but they need hard evidence. As late as late S2, he admonishes Lindsay that instinct isn't enough. So far, so good. Consistent.

Then in "Sweet Sixteen", he tells Flack not to arrest a teenage suspect despite a mountain of circumstantial evidence because "he just knows he didn't do it."

Bzuh? Flack handled it better than I would've. I'd've had my Indignation Belt strapped on so tightly that I strained something.

In "Murder Sings the Blues", he reams Hawkes for not disclosing that he briefly encountered the victim in a diner for three minutes-in front of Lindsay and various lab Woozles, no less. Now, in an upcoming episode, he's going to continue working a case that involves his dead wife's son.

Hello, hypocrisy much?

Some have pointed out that maybe Mac is loosening up. I'd buy that argument if the Hawkes excoriation had happened in S2, back when Hawkes was still learning the ropes. But it happened in 307; the stepson drama happens in 316. Nine episodes. That is not enough time for radical character realignment. The only explanation for this is that the writers are twisting the characters to fit on the Drama Llama of the Week.

A poster whose father is a detective claimed that their is no law barring friends or relatives from working the case as long as the friend is only a victim. Fine. But that's the real world, and as she so helpfully pointed out, this is a TV show, and on this show, if we ascribe to the ethics of S3, you don't work a case if you know the victim, even if that knowledge is limited to three minutes at a diner. Therefore, by its own internal logic, Mac is violating his own ethics. That makes him either a staggering hypocrite or a badly-written character. Period. And all the excuse-making in the world won't change that.

I'm done now. Really.

Dear CSI:NY Writers,

I do love the show, I really do. It is different from the other two and I look foward to watching it. But, there are some things I think would make the show better.

1. Not every person in New York City is rich. There are more than 8 million people in the city, why can't you have a case that involves a regular person? A guy who works at McDonalds? A taxi driver? Anyone other than another rich, snotty person.

2. I was excited at first that Anna Belknap was coming on the show to play a new character and the storyline for Lindsay could have been really well written. I don't think that it Anna's acting that made this character so annoying or immature, I think it was more the lack of thinking and planning of her character. I was really disappointed that when we finally found out about her past, it was maybe a 2 minute scene! If I went to go get a snack or a glass of water, I may of missed it. I felt that was sad that there was so little character development to that storyline which could have made her character the littlest bit more likeable.

3. I feel that the show is trying more to get higher ratings than to please the viewers, especially the ones who have been watching from day one. For example, the Danny and Lindsay thing. I have never been that much of a Danny/Lindsay shipper and I probably never will be. That being said, I might be more open to the relationship if it wasn't so poorly written and if chemistry was actually there. I'm sick of every scene having to do with those two and their 'relationship'. Either make it happen between them and make it work or just let them be.

chaostheory08 said:
Dear CSI:NY Writers,

(4)You guys want feedback? Well, the Nielsen ratings is not the place for that. The fanboards are! Do you want to know what WE really want to see? Check the shippers threads, the actor/character threads and even the fanfiction. Not all of our fan-made scenarios are OOC or hard to put on film. Heck, there are a lot of fanfictions out here with scenes that can perfectly fit on the show. It doesn't hurt to get ideas from message boards and such. After all, you own them... we don't.
Well, not to argue or anything, since this is a thread for expressing opinions about what you'd like to tell the writers, but I have to respectfully disagree with parts of this. ;)

I agree that the writers could get great feedback from message boards like TalkCSI, but I wouldn't go so far as to wish they'd go to shipper threads or fanfiction for show ideas.

Most (not all) fanfiction that I've seen revolves around a romantic relationship, and I think most fans on here would agree that we wouldn't want that to be the direction the show would go in. Even if it's a pairing that I personally like, I'd hate to see stuff like that on the show. Aspects of it (character development, family relationships, interaction with other team members, etc) would be nice, but that's the kind of stuff we discuss in this forum anyway. ;)

As for shipper threads, it's the same sort of thing as fanfiction--it's mostly about the romance. Most, if not all, of the character-related discussion probably also takes place in the show forums.

Anyway, yeah. :lol: I agree that the writers could get an idea for how some (not all, of course ;)) fans feel about the show from message boards, but I personally wouldn't go so far as to suggest that they get ideas from us. ;)

Faylinn, good point. Besides, if they use something they read in a fanfic, then it might develop into a lawsuit for using someone else's ideas. Over on the Star Trek board, some members there are writers of the paperback novels. They avoid the fanfic threads for that very reason.

^Okay, I see the point. But what I was saying was if they want some "writer-made" (can't express it in English, sorry) pairing to work, they should at least see how well it works before injecting sooo much fluff in it. Again, it's just me.

*wanted to give this one some thought*

Dear Writers,

1. Please *DO* focus on the character's friendships and (non-romantic) relationships with each other. This cast (with one exception) has great chemistry--explore it!

2. Please *DON'T* keep victimizing the female CSIs. When this show first started, I was impressed that the women--Stella and Aiden--were among the strongest in the CSI universe. Last season brought us the travesty that was "All Access"--did we really need to see Stella being brutalized by her boyfriend for an hour?--and the whiniest, wimpiest, least likeable character ever to darken the doors of a CSI lab--Lindsay. What happened to the cool women who kick ass? At least give Stella her groove back. ;)

3. Please *DO* continue with the awesome, well-written, intriguing cases--"Not What It Looks Like," "Hung Out to Dry," "And Here's to You, Mrs. Azrael," and "Raising Shane" are among the best episodes "CSI: NY" has aired to date. Keep up the fantastic work. :)

4. Please *DON'T* subject us to romantic storylines where the characters/actors have no chemistry. I know there's pressure to pair young, sexy characters off but Lindsay isn't sexy and Danny could spark much, much better with someone else (say...Angell?). The deep sixing of the Danny/Lindsay pairing could only be good for the show.

5. Please *DO* give Eddie Cahill some love. The guy is the most consistently excellent actor on the show. Flack and his snark are often what stand out in an episode, and Cahill takes everything he's given and runs with it. Yes, it's CSI: NY and therefore about the CSIs, not detectives, but Cahill is too good to sit in the background, and his differences of opinion with Mac make for truly absorbing viewing while highlighting the differences between cops and CSIs.

6. Please *DON'T* forget about Hill Harper. The man has been given some good material this year--specifically in "Azrael" and "Shane"--but there's much more to explore with the good doctor.

7. Please *DO* explore the characters' backstories. Mac and Reed? Great! Love that we're getting to see Claire through the growing Mac/Reed bond. Danny and Louie? Please bring back Danny's brother. Danny has the richest emotional palette of any of the characters--use it! Stella's parents? Flack's dad? Hawkes and the chief of surgery? Would love to see these explored.

8. Please *DON'T* require Anna Belknap to scream or cry anymore. She can't do it. Lindsay was at her best when she was a light-hearted, slightly anal retentive CSI; the screaming, whining banshee needs to go. Rarely do I argue against continuity, but please close the door on her "bloody secret" and give Belknap material she's better suited for.

9. Please *DO* keep developing the great supporting cast--Hammerback, Adam and Angell all add to the show, and I sure wouldn't mind seeing Maka or Vicaro again.

10. Please *DON'T* draw from bad fanfiction. The Danny/Lindsay "romance" reads straight from a fourteen-year-old's fanfic, and Lindsay is pretty much the definition of a Mary Sue character. Get away from the cliches and go for the original and unexpected.

And one more...please *DO* keep up the good work and thanks for reading. :)

^OMG, Top! Hit the nail right on the head.

1. Please *DO* focus on the character's friendships and (non-romantic) relationships with each other. This cast (with one exception) has great chemistry--explore it!

I hate to think that they'll go LV with NY. You know, adding more and more characters in the hopes of getting more sides, more dynamic... all the while forgetting how dynamic their existing cast already is.

4. Please *DON'T* subject us to romantic storylines where the characters/actors have no chemistry. I know there's pressure to pair young, sexy characters off but Lindsay isn't sexy and Danny could spark much, much better with someone else (say...Angell?). The deep sixing of the Danny/Lindsay pairing could only be good for the show.
The whole thing is in the risk of turning into a soap opera. Once again pulling from LV, the GSR thing brewed for at least six years before they did something solid on it. Here on NY, it's bordering on pushing opposite poles together. I, for one, do not see the chemistry (nor the physics) of that.

10. Please *DON'T* draw from bad fanfiction. The Danny/Lindsay "romance" reads straight from a fourteen-year-old's fanfic, and Lindsay is pretty much the definition of a Mary Sue character. Get away from the cliches and go for the original and unexpected.
Agreed. I mean, I have read good D/L stories and even with them, I am left feeling a bit cold. As if I couldn't see the characters doing what was written. Sorry.

Dear writers

As others have said in previous posts, a little continuity would go a looong way, Flack being a case in point. A lot of us are having problems figuring out how someone can nearly lose his life and yet seemingly have no after affects such as flashbacks or nightmares. :rolleyes: Also, how has Hawkes dealt with nearly being convicted of a murder he didn't commit? Finally, how has Dannys brother Louie been doing - things like this matter to us! :mad: Although each episode is a new case, a little continuity would illustrate life cannot be contained in approx 43 minutes of airtime! The continuity you have given us so far re Shane Casey has proved you can do it, and very well too! :)

Also, a little background into the characters would be appreciated as well, especially Flack, whom we know little about. The little we do know has been gleaned from piecing together bits and pieces from episodes and watching how he reacts to certain situations. Also, Eddie Cahill is an awesome actor and surely should have more opportunities to show how good he really is. He is one actor who we still have not seen the best from yet. :)

Can we also pls see some development for the recurring characters, such as Adam and Sid? Again, there is huge potential there that is currently being sadly wasted. (Esp Sid!) :D

Finally, can we pls leave the romance out of it?! If you have to hint at something developing between characters, can it pls be dealt with quickly and not dragged out over God knows how many seasons?! (D/L case in point.) Little clue: BORING!! It puts a lot of us off as precious screentime that could be used on the above is being wasted.

Dear God in Heaven ... I hope this thread gets read by the people it's intended for.

What a bunch of fantastic letters. Especially Tops.

I was remiss in not pointing out the jobs well done, and thanking them for them, in my letter, which are pretty much exactly what everyone else has said.

Dear Writers,

Please, please give us some information about characters other than Danny and Mac. Don't get me wrong, I love them both, and Carmine and Gary are such amazing actors that they've really handled all their drama very well, but please use your amazing cast to its fullest.

I want to know more about Hawkes' experiences as a surgeon, I want it to be obvious that this man was a force to be reckoned with at a very young age, especially in surgery. I want one of the victims to maybe be a patient whose life he saved as a doctor.

Stella is an amazingly feminine character with some moments of great personal strength, and yet we know nothing of how she got to where she is now. She knew Mac and Claire while Claire was still alive -- perhaps she could be used more in the Reed storyline. And please explore her issues with faith, and her experiences as an orphan -- I'm sure that would strengthen the Reed storyline too, as now he's something of an orphan himself.

Do you realize what you have in Eddie Cahill? The man is genius, and in so many episodes he brightens up the screen. We've had tantalizing hints of there behind more behind the blue wall of silence...I want to know why he's so testy with suspects, and if that temper has ever got him into trouble before. And hey, if not, I'd love to see Flack lose it and really get nasty with a suspect, just to see him get in a little trouble.

AJ Buckley is amazing. Adam has saved more than one episode with his version of comedic relief, and I'm sure the fans wouldn't mind seeing him involved in his own storyline at some future point.

Sid. THANK YOU FOR SID.

Lindsay needs to become a character in her own right, or else leave the cast. All I know about her is that she wants to be with Danny and can't and, let's be frank, I'm a little tired of that same 'ol song.

Still, I love your show, and of the three CSIs, it's the only one I watch on a regular basis. So keep it up!

--DD

mmmm ... how about ...

Dear Writers,

You are starting to SUCK BADLY with your ability to push out decent storylines.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What is with these people, maybe they need new scriptwriters

^^Agreed

Dear writers,

Please drop the Danny/Lindsay crap. It's NOT WORKING. It's forced, the characters have absolutely NO chemistry and what would the point be to have two main characters hook up? Is CSI:NY a soap opera now?

Please follow up on previous storylines. What happened to Louie? Do you ever plan on letting us know? Why not have a story about Flack's father? In The Fall when Gavin asked about his dad, Flack didn't seem to want to talk about him. It would be nice to know why. There's so many stories we need follow up/closure on.

Could you possibly focus on murders outside of Manhattan or at least quit having all the victims be rich people. I'm pretty sure not everyone in NY is high class.

That's all I can think of right now..i'm sure i'll be back.

tiara4carmine said:
mmmm ... how about ...

Dear Writers,

You are starting to SUCK BADLY with your ability to push out decent storylines.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What is with these people, maybe they need new scriptwriters

OMG! I agree as well.
Sometimes when I watch back at some episodes it's like watching teen love-centered shows with great seasoned actors. Idk, some of the things they write aren't doing it for me. If it wasn't for the actors, then I would've had a free hour every Sunday (CSI Supreme Sunday here in Asia - 3 CSI shows in 3hours).

Please drop the Danny/Lindsay crap. It's NOT WORKING. It's forced, the characters have absolutely NO chemistry and what would the point be to have two main characters hook up? Is CSI:NY a soap opera now?

Yeah, like what the other poster said. We know nothing about Lindsey apart from her trying to be with Danny. It's actually the other way around if you look at the pacing of the show but still.... what are these writers seeing?

Dear Writers,
I personally don’t mind the relationship of Mac/Peyton or Danny/Lindsay, if you do it right. I do have to say that I rather enjoy the relationship of Mac and Peyton. I think its good to see Mac outside of work and a little happier. But what I love most of all is that Peyton is not in every episode. And whenever she is in an episode her and Mac aren’t shoved down our throats. You will get the occasional lingering looks or smile at each other. But nothing to in your face. I fear though with Danny and Lindsay both being regular characters we will have to deal with the fact that they are dating constantly. And I think that could ruin the show, but if you can somehow write it well and not, Everytime they are on screen together, make it all about the fact that their dating I don’t see anything wrong with putting them together. If done correctly.

One of the main things I do hate is the lack of creative, interesting storylines. And how as a late all the stories feel rushed and not thought all the way through. Like you don’t think about how this may affect future episodes. It’s like once an episode is done that it, everything said and/or done in that episode isn’t really ever dealt with again. I’d love to see some more storylines for underrated characters. Such as Flack, Stella, Sid etc… I understand that Mac is the main guy on CSI: NY but I think we’ve had enough stories about him (at least for a while). You have done basically 1 story about Flack. We know nothing about him except that his dad is a cop. Flack has to be one of the greatest characters you have on the show and you do nothing for him. As I know many other people have already stated I’d love to see old storylines cleared up. Such as Danny’s brother, Danny’s past, Lindsay past (more details please) Stella past, you mentioned once in season 1 episode 15 Til death do us part but never again. That is a really interesting storyline. What was it like growing up in an orphanage? What happen to her parents? There is a lot you could do with that.

This isn’t a compliant about the current and/or past seasons. I just always thought it would be cool if you did a series of episodes that involved Vegas, Miami, and NY all to work together to catch a killer. Kind of like you did with Felony Flight/Manhattan Manhunt. I’d really love to see you mix it up though. Not just send Horatio to NY or something. Maybe have Mac fly to Vegas or Grissom fly to NY. I think Gary and William would be really interesting to watch on screen together. I know you can’t mix it up completely being as Miami has worked with both labs. But maybe send Ryan and Calleigh to NY or like Danny, Lindsay, Stella and/or Hawkes to Miami. I think it would be a great episode and very different. I know you can’t do it this season but maybe next season. If done well it could be amazing.

I don’t believe the show sucks. I maybe you guys have gotten off track on what fans love about the CSI franchise. Yes Danny shirtless is great and learning more and more about the characters lives outside the lab is great to but people started watching this show for the crime and science not for the sex and romance. I know CSI: NY isn’t always treated as important as the other CSIs but that doesn’t mean you can’t do great shows. Get back to what made this show great to being with. That gritty mean no nonsense show, because that what New York is. If I were to watch the show for the 1st time next week I might not immediately get that this show takes place in New York. It’s fine to lighten up the show a bit but don’t forget the show takes place in NY not LA or Miami. New York is one of the most unique cities in the world use that to your advantage.

Back