Dear Writers... (Have something you want to say?)

I'm sure my thoughts have already been mentioned by others on this thread, but here it goes.

Dear writers,

I, too, would like to see some follow-up on the unresolved storylines featured in past episodes. What happened to Louie? What happened to the female FBI agent(at least, I think that is what she was) who was killed at the end of "Sweet Sixteen"? It seemed her killing was a set up for a future episode but still we've seen nothing.

Enough with the romance already. I have no objection to the characters being in relationships, but can you allude to in more subtle ways? Making it such a focal point of the storylines of certain characters (e.g. Danny & Lindsay) takes away from the focus of the show.

While I love Mac, can he be wrong about something for once? I realize he's the main character and the highest-ranking member of the team but, c'mon, he can't be right all the time. I, too, have enjoyed seeing Mac and Flack at odds a few times this season - it is nice to see someone who is not afraid of going toe-to-toe with Mac. Speaking of Flack, can he, for once, be right about a suspect? We all know he's a great detective, so let him get the credit for solving a crime every now and then.

This leads me to my next point - more Flack please! I realize I'm a little biased because he's my favourite character, but it seems to me that in real-life a lead homicide detective would play a much more integral role in solving murders. While I don't expect Flack to be featured prominently on every episode, at times it seems his only purpose is to provide the CSI's with information on the victims.

Finally, a few lines thrown in here and there that illustrate the characters have lives outside of work would be great.

Thanks.

PS - I'm new to this message board and was wondering which discussion thread is best for posting general questions about CSI: NY?

Welcome, FutureMrsFlack! :)

If you've got a new topic of conversation, feel free to post a thread about it! Otherwise, general questions can go wherever you feel is most relevant--a Mac question to a Mac thread, an episode question to the specific episode thread, etc. But, feel free to start a new topic if you've got a new route of conversation. :)

Thanks for the welcome Faylinn and Top41 - I'm glad to be here.

Thanks also for the info on postings Top41 - I think I found the right home for my question.

Welcome, FutureMrsFlack -- from the wife of one CSI:NY hottie to the future wife of another. :lol: Hope you enjoy it here.

Dear writers,

You say Peyton's supposed to bring out a warmer side of Mac, but I don't see it with Stella; who should be the most warmed up person he should be around!!!! He's only smiling goofily when he's with Peyton and all serious with others! I want more softy!! especially around Stella! she's going through alot right now!

lotsa love,
Cassie

Ok, I think it's time to bump this thread. For reference, copy-pasted from the opening post in case you're wondering about the point of the thread:

This thread is just for discussion. There is no guarantee that any person that is directly involved with CSI:NY will read it. If you want to send feedback, there is a form on cbs.com where you can do so. (Scroll to the bottom of the site and click "Feedback," but make sure you read everything on the pop-up window before sending your comments/complaints, especially the section below the form.)
So, with that in mind:

Dear Writers,

Hill Harper is a fantastic actor, and Sheldon Hawkes is a great character with a ton of promise--and yet, time and again, I see wasted opportunities. I thought Sheldon was 'an encyclopedia of tidbit information' in early season 2--now he doesn't even throw out the random knowledge anymore. He is consistently in the background and it's a waste for the character and for the actor--not to mention the fans, who would love to see more from him!

Hawkes was moved from the morgue to the lab to get more screentime, and that backfired. He was the rookie in season 2 but got overshadowed by Lindsay being the rookie--this was acknowledged, but I haven't seen any attempt to make it up to the character in the past two seasons. When Hawkes does get something, it isn't usually about him at all. Being framed for murder in "Raising Shane" gave us a few scenes of him in trouble--but in the end, it was about Danny confronting Shane Casey.

Give Hawkes more to do, and don't take Hill for granted--the fans will thank you for it.

Much love,
Fay​

So, do you guys have anything you wish you could say to the writers?

Aww, I love this thread! Let's see what I wrote before...

*wanted to give this one some thought*

Dear Writers,

1. Please *DO* focus on the character's friendships and (non-romantic) relationships with each other. This cast (with one exception) has great chemistry--explore it!

Well, I have enjoyed the growing relationship between Mac and Reed, and we've had some great Danny/Flack interaction. "All in the Family" was great. So I'm fairly happy here.

2. Please *DON'T* keep victimizing the female CSIs. When this show first started, I was impressed that the women--Stella and Aiden--were among the strongest in the CSI universe. Last season brought us the travesty that was "All Access"--did we really need to see Stella being brutalized by her boyfriend for an hour?--and the whiniest, wimpiest, least likeable character ever to darken the doors of a CSI lab--Lindsay. What happened to the cool women who kick ass? At least give Stella her groove back. ;)

Hmmm, well, Stella kicked ass in the finale, and so far the women haven't been victimized anymore, so I'm mostly happy here. Plus, Angell has been more active and is kicking ass, which is cool.

3. Please *DO* continue with the awesome, well-written, intriguing cases--"Not What It Looks Like," "Hung Out to Dry," "And Here's to You, Mrs. Azrael," and "Raising Shane" are among the best episodes "CSI: NY" has aired to date. Keep up the fantastic work. :)

Loved "Down the Rabbit Hole," "Commuted Sentences," "Child's Play" and "All in the Family." The eps have been good this season for the most part!

4. Please *DON'T* subject us to romantic storylines where the characters/actors have no chemistry. I know there's pressure to pair young, sexy characters off but Lindsay isn't sexy and Danny could spark much, much better with someone else (say...Angell?). The deep sixing of the Danny/Lindsay pairing could only be good for the show.

Well, if Danny and Lindsay finish, I'll be happy. Flack and Angell rock, so the writers finally have a couple with chemistry going for the show. :cool:

5. Please *DO* give Eddie Cahill some love. The guy is the most consistently excellent actor on the show. Flack and his snark are often what stand out in an episode, and Cahill takes everything he's given and runs with it. Yes, it's CSI: NY and therefore about the CSIs, not detectives, but Cahill is too good to sit in the background, and his differences of opinion with Mac make for truly absorbing viewing while highlighting the differences between cops and CSIs.

"You Only Die Once," "One Wedding and a Funeral" (that was the hot dog vendor scene, right?) and "All in the Family." :D The first and last especially were great episodes for Flack. And hello, Angell! :D Those two are super cute when they flirt.

6. Please *DON'T* forget about Hill Harper. The man has been given some good material this year--specifically in "Azrael" and "Shane"--but there's much more to explore with the good doctor.

:(

7. Please *DO* explore the characters' backstories. Mac and Reed? Great! Love that we're getting to see Claire through the growing Mac/Reed bond. Danny and Louie? Please bring back Danny's brother. Danny has the richest emotional palette of any of the characters--use it! Stella's parents? Flack's dad? Hawkes and the chief of surgery? Would love to see these explored.

:( But thumbs up for the great "Child's Play" storyline and even though the 333 case was kind of ehhhhh, it was cool to get some backstory on Mac.

8. Please *DON'T* require Anna Belknap to scream or cry anymore. She can't do it. Lindsay was at her best when she was a light-hearted, slightly anal retentive CSI; the screaming, whining banshee needs to go. Rarely do I argue against continuity, but please close the door on her "bloody secret" and give Belknap material she's better suited for.

So far, so good, but I'm worried that Danny dumping her/cheating on her is going to make her sad. Lindsay sad leads to bad acting. If only they had cast a talented actress in the role, things would have been so much better.

9. Please *DO* keep developing the great supporting cast--Hammerback, Adam and Angell all add to the show, and I sure wouldn't mind seeing Maka or Vicaro again.

I'm pretty happy on this account!

10. Please *DON'T* draw from bad fanfiction. The Danny/Lindsay "romance" reads straight from a fourteen-year-old's fanfic, and Lindsay is pretty much the definition of a Mary Sue character. Get away from the cliches and go for the original and unexpected.

The jury is still out on this one, especially with Danny/Lindsay drama on the horizon. :borg:

And one more...please *DO* keep up the good work and thanks for reading. :)

Still feel the same about this one! :D :thumbsup:

Wow, has it really been a year since this thread was last used?

Dear Writers: We love this show when it focuses on the science and the cases. Your twists on "ripped from the headlines" type cases are often fascinating to watch. I do not understand where this recent fascination with romantic entanglements has come from, but please go back to focusing on the murders with the occasional casual flirting; we will love you for it.

I must have written that right after Sweet Sixteen (and, OT for a minute, the young woman whose survival seemingly inspired the episode has written a book and is making the talk show circuit). Unfortunately, my dreams for getting rid of the fauxmance have not been realized, but to be fair, it has been toned down a lot. :eek:

The opening episodes for the season made me want to gag; it seemed like the writers were hell-bent on turning the lab into some kind of college dorm with all the hooking up that seemed to be going on. They've scaled back on that, thank goodness, but I want the train wreck that continues to be relationship between Danny and Lindsay to just curl up and die. This are they a couple/are they not a couple thing that has even the actors confused is not constructive and the time could be devoted to better storylines.

But I guess I'm still living in some fantasy world. :vulcan:

i wasn't a member of this forum when this thread was created
I would like to say

Dear writers

THANK YOU for this new Season 4. We recovered part of the " we are family" sense i felt back in Season 1 (the same we lost when we lost Aiden):thumbsup:

THANK YOU for the new emotional songs you used especially at the beginning of this season

THANK YOU for the whole Mac arc. He deserved that

THANK YOU for focus on Stella. Melina deserves every single minute of glory on this show. She had lost her place as the main star because all the D&L crap and now she is again under the spotlights.

A request: PLEASE STOP D&L thing. It's OVER:scream: we had 2 years of torture. Please NEVER AGAIN:scream:

and SPECIAL THANKS TO MR PETER LENKOV

The constant homage you paid to our beloved former fandom and our beloved series made me cry
We will never forget you Peter and any single member of La Femme Nikita
I loved what you have done (i'm totally convinced it is because of you) and the mention of
"Adam"(or i should say Birkoff) "Quinn" "Down the rabbit hole" (Up the rabbit hole") "Jason" "Mac in black" (i'm sure you laughed with that one). "MCDAW" (Michael can't do anything wrong. In this case it's aplied to Mac:lol:) the elevator scene in DARH with the hole team together, "Sage" the blonde killer in cold blood (could we ever forget Nikita????NAH!), "Mac and Stella kicking ass", the lovely scene at the club with Mac and Stella, Gene Glazer as guest star , "Things about heroes" (Time to be heroes)

We will never forget Peter. I swear (LFN is a sucess again in Latin America because it's being aired again)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR WRITING

Debbie forever Mac and Stella. Forever LFN Lenkov's lair (say hello to Larry. We miss him too:thumbsup:
and tons, tons, tons of references to LFN

Dear Writers

Can you please start writing major story lines for characters other than Mac, Stella and Danny. While I love these characters I think we need to see more from the others. Lindsay & Hawkes are main characters too and are being completely drowned out.

Apart from the hastily written storyline to cover Anna'a maternity leave this character gets nothing. She started off so promisingly with the whole over eager country girl thing but she has now been sidelined as Danny's love interest. A relationship between these two would work so much better if we could see some character development for her. I am a D/L fan but I liked them much better in season two with all the flirting and joking around.

Hawkes did great with the Shane Casey storyline but again this ended up being about Danny. We know pretty much nothing about his life.

I liked the storyline Danny had in season one when he was being assessed in the diner shooting and I think something like this should be written for Hawkes and Lindsey. They never seem to get the chance to take the lead on a case.

I don't think these characters have been given a fair chance by the writers and that may be why Lindsey doesn't get a fair chance by some viewers.

Also, please tie up the loose end of Louie! I want to know what happened to him.

I don't think these characters have been given a fair chance by the writers and that may be why Lindsey doesn't get a fair chance by some viewers.

You had me until you said that. Just because people don't share your opinion of Lindsay doesn't mean they haven't given her "a fair chance." As a matter of fact, many people who dislike Lindsay have said, repeatedly, they either started out liking her or were indifferent to her.

Hawkes did great with the Shane Casey storyline but again this ended up being about Danny. We know pretty much nothing about his life.
Ugh, yes! Hawkes has so much potential, I'd love to know more about him. We have a few bits and pieces, but Hill could do so much with anything they give him--give him more, I say!

Also, please tie up the loose end of Louie! I want to know what happened to him.
Yes! I really hope they're planning to bring him up in season 5. I don't care if it's been two years--keep waiting and it'll be three years, or four years. Tie up the loose ends that are there right now and be aware of that stuff in the future so it doesn't happen again.

In addition to Louie, something else from season 2 that could be acknowledged, at least in passing, is Aiden's death. She was only in one season, but I think a scene that brings up the danger of the job and losing a valued friend and former team member would be powerful. It doesn't have to be a case--they brought up Stella's storyline with Frankie in "Right Next Door" without it being a major deal, so I'm sure they could bring up Aiden without much trouble.

In addition to Louie, something else from season 2 that could be acknowledged, at least in passing, is Aiden's death. She was only in one season, but I think a scene that brings up the danger of the job and losing a valued friend and former team member would be powerful. It doesn't have to be a case--they brought up Stella's storyline with Frankie in "Right Next Door" without it being a major deal, so I'm sure they could bring up Aiden without much trouble.

That would be a great thing even just to mention in passing. After her death in that episode, any memory of her or mention seems to have been wiped off the face of the earth. Its a shame, too. Danny was obviously shaken up over her death, Mac and Stella talk about how they feel bad they hadn't had the chance to talk to her before she died and how it was too late for them to reconnect now. I hate the fact that the writers just left that as it was. She had a great relationship with the team, and its crazy to think that they haven't even thought or mentioned her in almost two years. Even just a mention of her name, or SOMETHING, I'd be satisfied with.

I have to say though, the writers have been doing a little better on continuity this season. Ruben's death is still refered to and the aftermath of that is still reverberating in following episodes, and I'm glad it wasn't swept under the rug right after it happened, like other traumatic events have been on the show. I'm hoping that the writers can learn from this and start bringing up old things and tying up some loose ends, like Louie, or mentioning more about Flack's time on the force and his relationship with his father, or Adam's possible abusive past, etc.

The main thing for me though would be to see more of characters that have been pushed in the background. (writers, pay attention). So much has been done with Danny and his past, Stella and her past, every season ends with Mac's perspective and throughout the seasons he gets his fair share of focus, even Lindsay who has been on the show a season less has gotten a background story and focus (whether or not we think she deserves it or it was well done or not). I want to see more of Flack, Hawkes, Sid, Adam....they all have such great potential to shine, and they do with what little they have brilliantly. Don't get me wrong, I love the Danny angst as much as anyone else, but I'd love to see some Flack or Adam or poor, neglected Hawkes thrown in there, and give the Danny story more of a background role, at least for a few eps.

Last edited:
[and give the Danny story more of a background role, at least for a few eps.

It's exactly what i'm expecting. I liked his character years ago even when he never was my fav. But the now- three-headed-monster D/L/R is stronger. For a change i'd love an episode where he remained in the background as in Down the rabbit hole because i cannot stand any single mention of shirtless Danny again. And he was an excellent character. I like Danny as the "black sheep" from the csi lab. Not this one.

I keep insisting on Stella because she only gets one episode per season and it's totally unfair. Her name is before the main logo for God's sake!!!! It's true she has more screentime now and Melina is adorable but she doesn't deserve this lack of respect:scream:
I guess TPTB should talk with producers of SVU. Mariska Hargitay is the main star and it's obvious every week but all of them have their moment of glory. I adore her as much i do with Melina :thumbsup:

Regarding Lindsey i was watching One wedding and a funeral and she looks better with Adam than with Danny. And she looks better in the lab all scientist and not with those silly monologues i can't stand:vulcan:

I guess my main complaint about her is because of Anna's acting. :(
I don't know if there is a quick solution to her lack of dramatic "vein". Beyond that i think she could work if future plotlines keep her away from dramatic scenes (unfortunately i don't think it's plausible)

Regarding Eddie and Sheldon,.Personally i think Eddie is ready to have his own series now. But i'm too selfish and i want him working with Mac. The two of them stop my heart every time they are together on screen:drool:

And regarding Sheldon there is another lack of respect there. The cold killer from Down a rabbit hole and DOA for a day had more screentime than Sheldon these last couple of seasons.

He has such incredible chemistry with Stella. I loved when he was a rookie and she gave advice because of Mac:lol: or when she went to pick him up the day he was set free out of the jail. Or when he was joking with her regarding the Psycho Franckie sendind roses. Or when he told how he left Medicine

Great episodes and scenes. Pity he is not around:(

I know MANY fans hate me because i say "I don't care about a shirtless character or a bad soap opera couple". But i'm being honest when i say i care about this show because i know it could offer more i am watching now
And i respect myself as an adult viewer as well

Just on opinion Debbie

Back