CSI: NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - Bright Lights, Big City

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

Oops, sorry, I'm sure you're right about the location....I was going off of memory and didn't recall the background. I don't think Lindsay's location really matters, though. The critical point is that she told Danny to come back and "we" will figure something out. What's to figure out? IIRC some individuals in real life have tried to use badges (including fake ones) for very bad reasons, so it is a big deal like Flack said. So I don't know why there would be anything to figure out as opposed to reporting it immediately.

Yes, ideally, Danny will take responsibility and report it. But if he doesn't, Lindsay has to because she is complicit now as well, especially since she knows about Shane Casey's prints. It's the parent/child analogy again. From a learning perspective, a parent could decide to let a child take negative consequences for bad choices even if the normal desire is to protect them. But if the bad decisions involve something dangerous, illegal, etc., the parent needs to step in potentially to prevent something really bad from happening.

2. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

I find the stolen badge storyline idiotic. I can well believe that Danny's badge might have been stolen. There are enough kleptos, druggies, and law-enforcement fanboys that I can see someone stripping Danny's locker bare and pawning the loot. I can also buy that insecure, paranoid, indecisive Danny wouldn't "want to make a big deal out of it" for fear that it reflect poorly on his already spotty track record. He's already had his gun stolen by a grief-stricken mother and been suspected of murder, and of killing a fellow cop. He's been suspended for excessive force. He's probably on thinner ice than his colleagues, and under greater scrutiny. He likely can't afford many more missteps. So, while he's being stupid, I understand why.

But I cannot buy that neither Lindsay nor Flack would insist that he report the theft. To his credit, Flack pointed out that Danny's badge could be in the hands of a nutjob who could use it to hurt someone and was genuinely disgusted by Danny's feeble, whiny excuse, and to her credit, Lindsay pointed out that Danny's failure to report could earn him a command discipline, but neither of them does anything about it. Maybe Flack figures it's none of his affair, or maybe he's tired of cleaning up after Danny, whose gross unwillingness to take responsibility for the tools of his profession has twice endangered the people he's sworn to protect and serve and has grown to dangerous proportions.

But Lindsay, I don't get. I think it's fabulous that Madame Me finally cares about someone other than herself, but she has to know that Danny's failure to report the theft could have terrible consequences for the entire family. If Danny's badge is used in the commission of a crime and the prior knowledge of its loss comes to light, Danny could be fired and/or prosecuted for negligence and dereliction of duty. Grieving families could sue for wrongful death. Hell, she might be fired for helping him conceal the theft. She needs to help Danny, yes, but both of them need to act like adults, like parents, and consider the possible repercussions for Lucy, who never asked to be born to a pair of clueless, self-involved putzes.

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  4. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Thing is, I agree with the sentiment that it's not up to Lindsay (or Flack, for that matter) to teach Danny to act like an adult. Their being married doesn't make her his mother. She shouldn't still be wasting time trying to push him if he hasn't reported it yet. Yeah, any consequences that Danny gets slapped with affect her and Lucy now, but that's why I just think she should've gone ahead and reported the badge missing herself when it became clear that Danny wasn't going to -- like I think she would have if this had been happening to anyone else. It is dangerous for a criminal to be running around with a police shield. It also affects the department, and yeah, her own job too now that she's complicit.

I do get the whole protection angle if that's why Lindsay -- and Flack, unless this changes next episode -- haven't reported the badge missing themselves. But I still see it as idiotic. With Flack, even if he is washing his hands of the whole situation, it'll still come down on his head if it's ever figured out that he knew and didn't report it.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with that any more than I did last year. What I agreed with is the fact that Danny wasn't pushed to get married, and certainly not by Lindsay.

It's awesome :lol: Season 6 is pretty disappointing in a lot of ways, but I will say that I love how it's delivering in terms of bringing back old characters. First Shane Casey, now Reed...I wonder if we'll actually get a reference to Louie as well.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  5. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

6. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

And because of Anna we are:rolleyes: If I remember correctly TPTB were talking of bringing Ricki back and Anna gets pregnant. And that is why Danny asked Lindsey to marry him I dont remember any talk of marriage before that. As long as we are talking of comebacks how about Ricki coming back with "Little Danny"!!:lol:

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Guys, just a general reminder--please don't cite spoiler sources that aren't public (ie, Ausiello and Watch with Kristin are fine). Thanks. :)

As for the badge, Danny needs to man up and report it missing. That's on him--but Lindsay and Flack are enabling him by not demanding he report it. Flack may have washed his hands of Danny--he sounded pretty fed up when he walked out of the pawnshop. He could have threatened to call it in like he did in "All in the Family," but I got the feeling he might be through cleaning up Danny's messes.

Lindsay doesn't have that luxury--she's married to him. She needs to push him to report it because it could have consequences for both of them... because that's how it works when you're married. You become an "us." Danny getting reprimanded or losing his job would affect Lindsay and their kid, too.

LaGuera said it best--it's not Lucy's fault that her parents are clueless, self-involved putzes! :lol:

And I'm glad Reed is coming back, too. Nice to see some familiar faces popping up! :D

8. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought even fictional people could have babies without automatically getting married ;) Writing a pregnancy into the story doesn't equate writing in a marriage, and for the first half of S5, it seemed like TPTB were aware of that...

I agree that they're enabling him, but I think both Lindsay and Flack have made it clear what they think of Danny not reporting the badge stolen -- even if they didn't actually say the words "you should report it"-- and I can't see Danny missing that disapproval. So if he hasn't reported it yet, I don't think pushing him is the solution, because I doubt he'd listen. They're not his parents; it's not Flack's job to threaten him into doing the right thing, any more than it's Lindsay's to give him ultimatums about telling Mac. For me, the giant mistake they're making is in helping him keep it quiet. Ideally, he'd report it himself, but if he doesn't, one of them should have already. Yeah, for his own good, but it's also the department's rep, possibly civilian safety that's at risk.

9. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Only on CSINY:)

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ oh i'd go further than that and say in hollywood/tv generally. there is a definite puritanical streak to such things. it wouldn't be allowed in britain ;)

11. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

Maybe Danny was too scared of having to pay child support. I mean, that would be the most awkward thing to do when you work with that person. So now he's stuck in a marriage that will most likely end with one of them dying.

12. wildcat

wildcat Witness

Oh, that's nice...:thumbsup::thumbsup::drool::drool::drool: Thanks for the link!

St. Patrick's - cool. :thumbsup: I wish Flack not only spoke Irish, but would get out there in a kilt too. :lol:
    Nice to see Reed back - his long absence was prompting many questions. Hopefully, the writers would put in some character changes - I would like to see how Reed changed after all this taxi killer story.

Oh, NOOO... (2 days later - still mad and frustrated :devil: :()

OK, so she is not a judge, not a CSI, not a detective, not a DA - not any kind of person Mac could meet through work, but just a stranger, a passerby. Fine, suppose they met, spent some time over a cup of coffee, exchanged telephone numbers. What then? CSI series - is not a love drama, are TPTB going to maintain a completely separate storyline outside CSI lab just to get "a love interest" for Mac? :wtf: That's not serious! :rolleyes: When the interaction happens between two characters bound by common work (not necessarily in the same lab), you don't need to show much - hints are often enough, you don't need to waste a lot of screen time to develop the storyline - it is easily incorporated in the main "solving the crime" story. An affair with an outsider - it's like an abscess on the body - sticking out, unnecessary and asking to be punched out.

But, god, I'm so tired of Mac's constant short-term flings. :devil: I have an impression that since season 3 non-stop either he is hitting on somebody or some woman is hitting on him. My count is at least 6 total. :eek: And that's for a man who's presented as somebody very constant, single-minded in his affections, still grieving the loss of his wife and basically "married to his job"? :rolleyes: That's a bit too much. I would easier believe in him being reluctant to have a new relationship, but once he became interested in somebody, keeping it for a long time.

And there is nobody better than Stella for this kind of long-term relationship. :p She knows him better than he knows himself, she cares about him, she is the only one who can get out the lighter side of Mac - more relaxed, smiling, joking. They have an amazing chemistry together - it is obvious from season 1, they fit together because they complete each other, and even in their body language there is a tad more then just friendship. ;) Sorry, but anybody who says that they don't have chemistry, are just either blind or deaf or plainly .... well, worse. You may like the idea of Mac and Stella together or not like it or not care one way or another (we all have our preferences, right?;)), but you can not deny that they have this very special "something extra" either between characters or between actors or both.
    Yes, there is a problem in bringing these two characters together. But there is may be even bigger problem not doing this. They both loose credibility! Mac and Stella belong to each other, that's what these characters came to after 61/2 seasons, and trying to continue to ignore this is discrediting in one way or another the integrity and realism of the characters they created. Not mentioning the loss of lots of great acting in all those nice subtle steps of getting closer and closer.

Mac again with another chick not seeing what's right under his nose? :rolleyes: Well, he does have an issue. N-th time? Bah, not interesting any more. :shifty: In fact, this news may just cured me from the CSI:NY addiction. :lol:

Let me ask you: do you really want to have a character with "toxic personality" on CSi:NY? :eek: I certainly hope not. ;) And not in any kind of a relationship with Mac. :cool: It would destroy Mac, and then it would harm all the "family" atmosphere in the lab.

Only if TPTB would finally acknowledge that there ARE some other than friendship feelings. :cool: Up to now Stella did not show any jealousy to any of the chicks (well, may be except Ella - she definitely didn't like Mac going to see her in the safe house :lol: even if on Mac side it was not a love interest). And besides that, any display of jealousy would be very unprofessional and would harm the atmosphere in the lab - much more than having "a love interest". :p
    As for the catalysts - how many do they need? :wtf: There were already more than enough. In the end, when it takes too long, the feelings may just burn out. :(

As for Danny and his badge story - I could not care less! :rolleyes: Making an idiot out of him with all these exaggerated grimaces is getting old. Though I understand why he did not want to report the stolen badge, I still believe that hiding all this is also a question of integrity. And given all the previous problems with Danny, and his work in the lab being less then spectacular, I think Mac should go and fire him.

13. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I guess I'm the only one who saw romantic chemistry between Peyton and Mac. :p

14. wildcat

wildcat Witness

You just have to watch these episodes again. ;)
    All where this storyline was. It looks very different seeing it the second (third,...) time and without week-long breaks. :lol:

15. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I loved Mac and Peyton together as well. They had amazing chemistry and I've watched the episodes several times on the DVDs without "week long breaks". :rolleyes: ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.