CSI:NY Season 6 in the UK

I really liked this episode, because it was both different in some ways and in other ways brought back some of the stuff from the good old days of the show, too.

First of all, I *loved* Mac in this episode. Well, okay, I love him in any episode, but I think in this one we saw something a bit different from him and Gary actually got to show off his range a bit. It was really good to see Mac take a step back from the 'invesigative'/leader role in favour of spending time with the victim, James. Usually, that's the kind of role given to the 'softer' characters like Stella or Danny, and it was just great to see Mac in that role for once. Mac is generally kind of awkward and not good at reaching out to people, but it was really nice to see him being so gentle and compassionate with James and trying to bond with him and reassure him. I know some people saw Mac going on about physics as boring/sanctimonious, but I didn't see it like that at all, I think he was using James' interest in physics as a way to ground him, to help him calm down - James was in a very scary place, and having Mac talk to him about something he loved, something 'safe' seemed to really help him. I also think Mac's inner geek reveled in the chance to come out and play! Geekiness is more Hawkes/Adam's area, but Mac is a bit of a science geek/buff, we just don't see it very often, and it was really nice to see Mac sharing his enthusiasm with James.

I loved how gentle and reassuring Mac was with James in the interrogation scene, how he reassured him he was going to help him remember what happened. I also liked Mac telling James little personal bits about himself, like how like James he wasn't the life of the party - it's not often we see Mac talk to anyone, especially people in a case, on a personal level, so that was nice to see. I also liked the idea that maybe Mac saw himself in James.
His calling James 'son' when James was going to shoot CrapAccent Rufus was very nice too.

Danny and Flack were also brilliant in this ep. Loved Flack's fury towards James in the intital interrogation, Angry Flack isn't something we've seen often, certainly not in that way. He can be threatening, and he can be snarky-angry, but there was real rage from him in that scene, he was really pissed, and it was great to watch. It fit as well with the angrier Flack from earlier this season.

Loved the Flack/Danny scenes, the joking and the fantastic scenes in the retirement home and interviewing the little man. The looks on their faces when the old lady was flirting with them a little and when they were getting their wires crossed during the interview with the mini wrestler was absolutely brilliant, and brought back the comic value that Danny and Flack bring when they team up. We haven't seen that in a while. Oh, and the look on Danny's face when the old lady called him 'sonny' was ace. Danny needs putting in his place sometimes, and she did it! Flack was obviously amused, too, I think he enjoys the odd humourous moment at Danny's expense.

Lovely to see Adam back, if only in a couple of scenes, and once again he was doing funny voices to his computers, which I always love.

It was also great seeing Stella take the leading role in the investigation while Mac took more of a 'background' role with James. Stella's perfectly capable of leading an investigation and of keeping 'the boys' in order, and it was good to see that. The implication of that as well is that Mac trusts her enough to let her take that role while he was off with James, which is nice as it shows the professional trust/respect between them.

LOL at Rufus's accent. What in the HELL was that? Dear God. I think it was meant to be Southern but it sounded like.....well, I don't know. It was just awful, though, really grating and horrible. But funny in a way because it was so appalling.

Seeing Mac revert to his Marine/Cop self during the shootout with Rufus and the big black guy was awesome. Mac may be a bit of a physics geek, but ya really don't wanna mess with him. Very much superscientistwithagunandstuff!:drool:

I really liked how Mac had a different and quite a big role in this episode, but it wasn't 'all about him' as such.

In terms of the case, it was something different, the suspect turned out to be a victim, and with all the twists and turns and the killer not being revealed until right at the end, it kept you guessing, which is always good on a crime show.

Usually, that's the kind of role given to the 'softer' characters like Stella or Danny, and it was just great to see Mac in that role for once. Mac is generally kind of awkward and not good at reaching out to people, but it was really nice to see him being so gentle and compassionate with James and trying to bond with him and reassure him. I know some people saw Mac going on about physics as boring/sanctimonious, but I didn't see it like that at all, I think he was using James' interest in physics as a way to ground him, to help him calm down - James was in a very scary place, and having Mac talk to him about something he loved, something 'safe' seemed to really help him. I also think Mac's inner geek reveled in the chance to come out and play! Geekiness is more Hawkes/Adam's area, but Mac is a bit of a science geek/buff, we just don't see it very often, and it was really nice to see Mac sharing his enthusiasm with James.

couldn't agree more :)

superscientistwithagunandstuff!:drool:

oi, that's a trademark, missy :p:lol:

MacsLady- I totally agree with you. I enjoyed the episode, the twists were done really well. Those boys had a busy night!
I wasnt sure about the shootout at the end. Seemed rather over the top, and I thought it could have been done differently. Ohh- CrapAccent Rufus- great name. It is one of the worst American accents ive ever heard. I thought the American shows liked having Brits as the baddies! So I dont understand why they didnt let him use his own accent, it would have helped me concentrate more on what he was saying, rather than how he was saying it.
It was great to see Mac take a different role in the investigation, and glimpse a side of him that we dont often see.
And Flack and Danny are so good together, I love there scenes.

^ no it couldn't have been!! i thought i already told you that our perspective of 'bad guy' Brits is suave, sneaky, sophisticated and evil genius!! ;) scummy drug dealers don't fit that cliche :lol:

^ no it couldn't have been!! i thought i already told you that our perspective of 'bad guy' Brits is suave, sneaky, sophisticated and evil genius!! ;) scummy drug dealers don't fit that cliche :lol:

Thats alright then :) As long as they are sophisticated and very intelligent! They could have had him having afternoon tea in his skanky flat :lol:

^ the irony is that he is actually british so it could've been quite straightforward!

I know. Did you ever watch Desmonds? I remember watching it with my parents years ago, and he was the wide-boy in that.

Thats alright then :) As long as they are sophisticated and very intelligent! They could have had him having afternoon tea in his skanky flat :lol:

oh, i've known a fair few public school bred drug dealers, whose flats are not only sophisticated but in the best areas of town and full of louis XV furniture. they were pretty much all arseholes tho :lol:

^ the irony is that he is actually british so it could've been quite straightforward!

I know. Did you ever watch Desmonds? I remember watching it with my parents years ago, and he was the wide-boy in that.
yeah i did watch it sometimes, it just seems so weird that he's gone from, well, british, to this appalling amalgamation of every ex british colony he could think of (plus a few others actually, he had a crack at southern american at some point there too) - bizarre!

^ Yeah, it was like he couldnt make his mind up what nationality he was supposed to be. I think he needs to get a bit more practice in!

I quite enjoyed 'Pot of Gold' this week.

I loved the focus on St. Patrick's Day. I've always wanted to go to NY for St. Patrick's (I think I'll wait until I'm 21 ;) ) and seeing the parades etc. made me even more determined. I also liked the fact it gave Flack a chance to speak a little Irish again!

The way Mac met Aubrey was cute. I didn't expect that at all and it was nice. It was also nice to see him interacting with Reed again.

Overall it was a nice episode. I didn't think it was amazing but it didn't bore me.

^ Yeah, it was a pretty average episode. It was ok, but nothing special. It was good to see Reed back, but its a shame that he wasnt back for a better story.

^ Yeah, it was a pretty average episode. It was ok, but nothing special. It was good to see Reed back, but its a shame that he wasnt back for a better story.

Yeah it was a bit pointless in the sense it could have been any character. There was nothing special about it in terms of it being Reed. They could have used him for something a little more intense or dramatic.

Well, Saturdays episode was a bit of a mixed bag for me. Some bits I thought were done very well and really enjoyed. I loved the discussion between Flack and Stella, and how he was trying to reassure her. I thought the story was intriguing, and I always love Sid- he had some great interactions.
But there were other parts that I didnt like. I didnt get the opener (but I was pretty tired when I was watching it) I also didnt like the bits where the dead girl was talking. It was a good idea, but for me it didnt work very well. And although the chase scene was quite thrilling I didnt like the fact that Stella was attacked (again) and then that she went straight back to work. Nothing stops these people! They would probably be missing an arm and still demand to be on a case!
So after a confusing and slow start, overall I enjoyed the episode, but I think it could have been so much better.

Yes, it was a bit odd, but I enjoyed it.

The dream sequence - odd, but different.

Stella looked weird, I think because her hair was darker.

Loved the Mac/Aubrey scene - Mac was clearly very taken with the fact that Aubrey worked as a doctor for the troops in Afghanistan with the Air Force Reserves. I liked how they both seemed pleased to see each other, but shy/nervous too, Aubrey especially. I also liked a lot that she was prepared to question Mac and the Marina Garito case, but do so a bit more, um, subtly than Stella. I like that it seems she would be prepared to challenge Mac if she thought it was necessary, but perhaps do it a bit more gently than Stella. I love how passionately/forcefully Stella will challenge Mac when she thinks it's necessary, but Mac doesn't need two women in his life doing that. He and Stella are both very intense/passionate which can make for a fiery combo, perhaps Mac needs someone not quite so intense to balance him out, sometimes.

Stella was a bit bitchy towards Sid at the beginning. I understand she was passionate/emotional about the case, but it was like when Mac yelled at Adam (for no reason) during the Dobson case. I was pleased that a) Sid held his ground against Stella, b) Mac tried to intervene when Stella was going a bit OTT and c) Stella apologised to Sid at the end. It is good to see that the characters do get emotional though, and act out of line accordingly.

Loved Adam trying it on with Aubrey (is it just me, or is he spending quite a bit of time hanging around in the hallway and accosting women? I seem to remember him talking to that FBI lady who came about Haylen, too) and the look on his face when she said 'Mac', and he said, 'Boss'. LOL.

I liked the Marina scenes because it was nice to see a case/episode that was quite 'victim-focused'.

It was good to see a bit of Rambo Stella, and Mac tucking her in at the end was a sweet scene that I thought underlined their friendship and the fact that even if Stella is 'Rambo Stella' she needs someone to look out for her sometimes.
I'm getting a bit tired of Stella getting the crap kicked out of her yet again though. I'd rather see a morally problematic case for her next time, rather than one in which she Must Prove Herself Against Bad Men. I have no problem watching Stella kick bad guy ass, but something different would be nice.

Loved the Stella/Flack scene, and Flack calling that guy at the end. Flack's often portrayed as a guy for who the job is more about the perps than the victims, we've never really seen him become emotionally involved in a case, so it was good to see that he does indeed care about the victims as much as the various CSIs have been shown to do.

Is it just me, or does Lindsay barely register in the episodes any more?

I wish Danny would get his glasses & his bloody razor back.

Didn't they ask that question about what is Mac's surname at the end of Pot of Gold? LOL, imagine if poor Mac's last name was 'Donald'.

^ I agree that Aubrey is a good match for Mac. And the scene with Adam was cute, but yeah, he seems to spend a lot of time lurking in the hall way, waiting for women. Maybe he is trying to get over Stella! That totally disappeared. I dont see the point of them getting together if it was never to be mentioned again.
Actually my thought at the end was, hasnt she got a home to go to! She was sleeping at work at the beginning too! (I leave work as soon as I can, but I suppose im not particualarly dedicated!)
Stella was a rather off with Sid, but at least she apologised- that scene was done well.

Back