CSI:NY Season 4 Spoilers: Hot Off The Press!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I remember reading an interview with Anna Belknap where she said that she and Carmine would sometimes sing their lines while rehearsing together. TPTB should throw in that element and then they can grab all of the "High School Musical" fans and add them to the demographic they seem to want so bad. No offense intended to "High School Musical," because I liked that. It was a high school story that involved characters who were actually high schoolers.

As far as what Ms. Veasey says about how the relationship will play out, I remember TPTB talking about how Lindsay was going to be developed with a "deep dark secret" story line. I also remember Mr. Zuiker praising Anna Belknap's "jaw dropping" performance of said story line. Yeah, that all worked well. :rolleyes: I also find it amusing (read: ridiculous and out of character) that Danny would have respect for Lindsay after she treated him like shit, offered no explanation or apology for said treatment and then, after downing a few shots, had him bang her on his pool table as payment for his $100 debt. Actually, I find it much more amusing (read: ridiculous and obvious TPTB don't give a shit about their established adult audience) that the audience is supposed to agree that this is how adult professionals in a mature, respectful relationship should act. :confused: :rolleyes:

2. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

You know, I think even the immaturities that kept the lead couple apart in "High School Musical" were resolved more maturely than the lameness that is D/L. If memory serves correctly, I believe they sat down and talked it out, as opposed to simply screwing and considering that sufficient to resolve all past issues.

I think we've seen time and again, particularly with reference to that relationship that Danny doesn't respect himself.

3. ka990

ka990 Police Officer

Any more news re Flack's girlfriend - who's playing her, is she only for one episode etc? *pwetty pweese* :lol:

4. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

I honestly don't know how much longer I can sustain interest in CSI:NY. I've tried to support the show and the actors in it since its premiere, and for the first season, it was glorious because the showrunners were trying to present a solid show with real characters and interesting, diverse cases. For the last two seasons, however, most of my fannish joy has been derived from posting to TalkCSI and writing detailed reviews. The show itself is necessary only as fodder for those reviews, and that's sad.

That isn't to say that there haven't been good episodes during the past two seasons, because there have been. Half of S2 was decent or better, with standouts like "Run Silent, Run Deep" and "All Access." But the good episodes are getting fewer and farther between; S3 had only 5 decent to excellent episodes, and most of those were in the second half. The rest were clearly treated as throwaway filler episodes, and it shows.

With S4 spoilers indicating that TPTB have decided to chuck solid drama for soapy shippiness, I'm not sure I want to waste an hour when I could be ficcing or reading or engaging in any other activity that doesn't require me to think like an emotionally stunted teenager.

Hell, I've only been in it for Flack from S2 on, and if he's going to play Pud Pony to a rich socialite and go from a hard-nosed, blue-collar guy to a dapper, pussy-whipped dandy, then there is little reason for me to keep investing myself in the show. The writers have consistently demonstrated a gross indifference to the world and characters they've created. They're so indifferent that they can't be assed to remember a recurring character's first name. When Det. Angell was first introduced, she was Jennifer. Now she's Jessica. For fuck's sake, when fanficcers are more meticulous in their research than the show's heart and brain, there is a serious problem.

If they don't care, then why should I?

I'll likely watch until the December hiatus, but I suspect that if I continue watching from that point, it will be solely for LJ post fodder and the pretty that is Flack.

5. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

I was very happy with what Ausiello had to report.
    I like this idea especially because it sounds to me like they will be concentrating more on the cases and in some ep's we'll get little hints that they're still together...

And I'm glad Pam Veasey elucidated that there is a relationship and not just a one night stand on the pool table.

And although I do ship D/L I also would still like to see Lindsay apologize for her behaviour before she went to Montana, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen anymore. :rolleyes:

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Yeah, I don't see Lindsay apologizing anytime soon, or Danny taking her to task for it. Like MrsG said, Danny doesn't respect himself, so why would he ask the person he's with to respect him?

Like MrsG, the one moment I liked Lindsay this past season was when she had Danny work off his debt the old-fashioned way. :lol: If they're going the lighter route with the relationship, it's because they're playing to Anna's strengths--she can't handle the heavier dramatic stuff, so the light stuff is the way to go. It gives her something to do, and someone to play off of. And pretty much minimizes her as a character. There's really not much else to do with Lindsay at this point.

Ultimately I think it's a good thing--because the relationship drama is in the past, this will free up Danny to have other drama--Louie, the job, whatever other skeletons are in his closet. I think this is a way better way to go then have them break up, get back together, break up again, etc. Hopefully whatever bump in the road they encounter won't require too much emoting from Lindsay. :lol:

La Guera, I wouldn't worry too much about Flack's girlfriend. I bet she's a one episode deal. Or else she ends up dead or evil by the end of the season.

7. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

I couldn't agree more. Ditch the angsty rubbish and get back to real life. Hopefully now the relationship is established and recognised it'll fade into the background and cease to become such an 'issue' and, as a result, more interesting and attention-deserving stories can be pursued *crosses fingers*

8. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

:lol: I don't blame you...DL bores me to tears to or if I'm in a good mood, it gives me something to laugh about. **makes for some good chats during our weekly group chats**

Did I miss something? Why is it that everyone is so quick to believe Pam Veasey when it comes to the DL crap but think that Carmine is lying in his interview? Unfortunately, he was right a few months ago when he said DL would be in the sack by the end of season 3. Why can't he be right this time? Nobody ever said DL would be over at the start of season 4 but there's no way I can believe they'll make it into season 5.

As for Flack having a girlfriend. I don't care if she's rich and beautiful (nobody on NY isn't :rolleyes:) just as long as there's plenty of photo manip opportunities. :)

9. Danistheman

Danistheman Prime Suspect

10. Camelot

Camelot Victim

I agree as well. I was tired of the relationship drama before it even started. The complexity of Danny's character had me so intrigued and it got muddled the minute the focus became more about his pursuit of Lindsey than what drove him up to that point. I don't see it as consistant to who he is, not only in how he pines for her, but in how he is attracted to her.

I am more intrigued at how driven he is at his job, and how he got to where he is based on his background. I hope the focus goes back to this aspect of Danny in season four rather than whether or not he and Lindsey are a couple.

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Emphasis mine, for obvious reasons. :rolleyes: It's good to know that doing their jobs is mostly important.

Can I 'share' my nausea with them?

Seriously, I want to know about Flack's dad, Hawkes' professional history, Stella's background, Mac's relationship with Reed, Louie--even with Adam, they've left us wondering about his father's abuse and why he left Phoenix. Why set it up to have the viewers become curious and then not pursue this stuff? They've got the opportunity to make these characters deep and rich and believable, but they stop short of actually bothering. A little tidbit or two each season that creates more questions than it answers--and that's it? Some viewers are connected with these characters, and they could be even more connected if the writers fleshed out the characters more, gave them challenges and motivations and histories. Maybe more people would tune in to the show on a regular basis if that was the case. *shrug* Hell, each of the things that I mentioned (and a lot more, of course) could form a very interesting replacement for a 'b-case' in a different episode--and with each character having years of their lives to delve into, they would never want for something to explore.

Call me crazy, but I find the idea of learning all of that far more intriguing than the thought of Danny and Lindsay giggling over a soft pretzel on the ferris wheel. :rolleyes:

*snort* My sister, who turns 13 in about a week, loves that movie.

That says a lot, really. :lol:

12. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Funny!! It makes me gag too! :lol:

I totally agree with you Faylinn. I'd love to find out more about the characters' backgrounds and histories rather than having to watch Danny and Lindsay making googly eyes at each other. :rolleyes: It gets me exasperated at times.

13. summer89

summer89 Hit and Run

:lol: Is this some teen bashing i sense?lol i know it's not meant offensively and you're all just trying to make a point but c'mon. I accept a lot of D/L fans are probably teenagers and that TPTB are tryng to lure in a specific target audience here, but whether you like it or not D/L is a hugely popular ship and liked by a majority of fans from what i can gather(feel free to prove me wrong). There's quite possibly just as many fully grown adults that squee every time Danny stands next to Lindsay as there are teenagers. As i'm sure you know the teenage demographic is hugely important to keeping the show going, i guess the TPTB try to cater for as large a range of people as possible but they're never going to please everybody. Majority rules, that sucks but that's how it is. Whatever keeps the show going imo because for every seen of utter D/L dross, there's another that's fantastic and reminds me why i love this show.
    I'm completely with you on your distaste for that even though :eek: i'm shock horror not out of my teen years- yet amazingly i am able to think for myself and form my own opinions! Last time i checked i wasn't emotionally stunted either ;)i'm not trying to start an argument, just sticking up for my teenage rights :lol:. Some of us can tell the difference between good drama and sh*t on a stick!

14. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Very good point, summer89. I think a better way to put it is that the Danny/Lindsay romance has been handled immaturely. People can be immature at any age--there are teens who are more mature than people in their 40s. That's good to keep in mind.

And to clarify--I'm talking about the romance itself, not fans of it. To each their own. :)

It sounds like the Dindsay pairing will be kept in the background, which should make it palatable to those who dislike it, but there will still be little moments/hints of it for those who do. That's probably the best compromise there's going to be, I think.

As for Carmine's words vs. Veasey's...Carmine was going off something he'd heard from the writers, presumably last season. That could have changed, or that could be the bump in the road they'll encounter. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

15. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Dear DL fans,

For some time now, I have heard you countering well-founded objections to D/L with this pearl of wisdom: "Majority rules, and the majority of fans like D/L."

Statistics, if you please. I want to see your polling data to support this claim. Did CBS mayhap conduct a phone poll? An online poll? Did they Fedex questionnaires to viewers? On what are you basing this assumption? Your personal beliefs and preferences don't count as unassailable facts.

I suspect that the casual viewing public is indifferent to D/L, and if the sliding ratings from the latter half of S3 are any indication, they're growing indifferent to the rest of the show as well. It is only in the online fen that shipping preferences matter a whit, and those seem to be evenly split between D/L and anti-D/L, with a minute segment decrying pairings at all. So where is this majority of which you speak?

Further, allow me to disabuse you of the notion of majority rule. It doesn't, and it hasn't for a very long time, and never mind what your underpaid civics teacher told you. The U.S. has been in the hands of oligarchical lobbyists since the Industrial Revolution, and TV is ruled by producers, who, like any fanboys, support their favorite ponies and pet projects in the face of overwhelming dislike. In short, D/L's unrelenting progress moves forward because someone responsible for the show has a raging, indecent hardon for it, and your voice matters as much as that of the naysayers, which is to say not at all. D/L will continue as long as the producers squee over it, or until the rating plunge is too precipitous to ignore. By which time it will be too late for the show, of course. Most of the dedicated fanbase that have been with the show since S1 are already drifting to other fandoms.

So, by all means, enjoy the canonization of your ship, but don't think for one minute that you had anything to do with it. You didn't, and the instant TPTB get bored or the pairing becomes a ratings albatross because viewers can't stomach spineless Danny Messer, they'll reverse course so fast they'll leave Nielsen boxes smoldering in their wake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.