Criminal Minds #2: How May We Save Your Ass Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elle shot a rapist that got away because she panicked during an undercover operation. It was ruled self-defense, but Hotch insisted that she go to departmental counseling. She never showed up. She later came into his office, handed him her badge and gun, said that it wasn't an admission of guilt, and left.

What I find interesting is that neither of the characters that left the show (Todd doesn't count; she was a temporary replacement) had hero's exits. Elle murdered a man, got away with it, and quit. And Gideon...

Gideon got steamrollered with guilt and left with no real explanation. A letter to one team member vaguely detailing does not an explanation make. They are two different shows, but it is interesting to contrast the exits of Gideon and Grissom on CSI. Both characters got burnout, but Grissom got to have a healthy exit that involved saying goodbye to his colleagues and explaining and then left. Gideon was cast in the opposite light, which I believe speaks to how TPTB of CM felt about Mandy Patinkin deciding out of the blue to just no longer show up for work.

Last edited:
A letter to one team member vaguely detailing does not an explanation make.

My memory so sucks, so I gotta ask. Did they ever say who Gideon wrote that letter to? I always assumed it was Reid, but I can't recall if they ever actually said.

My memory so sucks, so I gotta ask. Did they ever say who Gideon wrote that letter to? I always assumed it was Reid, but I can't recall if they ever actually said.

Yes, it was addressed to Reid, as Gideon said in the letter that he knew Reid would come looking for him in the end.

Yes, it was addressed to Reid, as Gideon said in the letter that he knew Reid would come looking for him in the end.

Yeah, he wrote either "Reid" or "Spencer" on the front of the envelope, too. It had something to do with Gideon needing to explain himself to Reid as a father-figure or something. Didn't Emily say it was something like that?

From "In Birth and Death"
He wrote "Spencer" on it.
(Reid reads the letter Gideon left for him.)
Gideon: (voice over) Spencer, I knew it would be you who came to the cabin to check on me. I'm sorry the explanation couldn't be better, Spencer. And I'm sorry it doesn't make more sense. But I've already told you… I just don't understand any of it anymore.

Then in "Scared To Death"
Reid: (of Gideon's letter) Yeah, yeah, you know Gideon stood toe to toe with some of the… the sickest people on this planet. I mean it took a lot of courage, right?
Prentiss: Yeah.
Reid: So why'd he do this? (shows Prentiss the letter) It's addressed to me, but I'm not… I'm not the only one that he abandoned.
Prentiss: Why is it addressed to you? I think you need to read that letter again.
Reid: I have an eidetic memory, Emily.
Prentiss: Yeah, I know, and an IQ of 187. But what do you remember about your father?
Reid: What do you mean?
Prentiss: He gave you 10 years before he left and yet you've erased all those memories. And it's too painful, I get it. But then Gideon leaves. I think you need to read that letter again and ask yourself why, of all the people, he walked away from… did he only explain himself to one person… you.

I definitely agree with the light that Gideon was put in when he left. It was an abandonment, not a retirement. I think the team felt very betrayed by him. I certainly would have.

I guess this could have had a lot to do with how Mandy Patinkin wanted to quit the show. That obviously was not looked at in a good way, so perhaps they portrayed that on-camera.

Gideon was really only a father figure to Reid, and Rossi is very fatherly towards everyone else. People ship Rossi/Someone and Hotch/Someon, which I have always thought as weird. They seem way too fatherly/older brother-ish to be with a team member.

I watched "Jones" and I liked Will.Before that , I saw him as someone too pushy with JJ.Now he has a personality. I also understand why so many fans don't want romance between main characters.There was a point that I couldn't stand him but becouse he is recurring doesn't afect the show for me.

I am disappointed about how Gideon left.I will watch it soon but it doesn't relate to how I perceive him.:(

Well,Penelope is as good as all you said.And IMO the relationship between Morgan and Garcia is stricly platonic.But he is such a sweet guy that I sometimes can't believe that he catches serial criminals.

Any spoilers for next season? I am dying!!!:lol:

Great question! I've been wondering the same thing myself. I've looked on and off but really haven't found much, or rather anything at all.

I'm very very curious as to what will happen with the whole ending Hotch facing gunpoint deal. Part of me thinks that he will be fine (in the long run anyway) because the show would kind of suck without Thomas Gibson. However, who the heck knows. The TV world can be kind of crazy sometimes....

Join the club :p
I've found something
Hi CM Fans,

Thomas here.

I just wanted to say that I love playing A. Hotchner on Criminal Minds; that we have the best crew, cast, writers, and production staff in the world. I have loved working on the show for four seasons and look forward to many more.

I realize that none of this could happen without the support of our fantastic fans. We count ourselves very lucky to have so dedicated and enthusiastic an audience as you. Thanks for watching and we look forward to providing you with great shows for a long time to come.

- Thomas Gibson
well, it's not much but at least we now know that we want to stay on the show so I think Hotch will be ok :D

Last edited:
I wonder if Thomas Gibson will have any of his co-stars from Dharma and Greg on the show. Joel Murray played an Attorney General in one episode back in October, but we haven't seen Jenna Elfman or any of the others. And maybe Joe Montegna's co-stars from Joan of Arcadia.

Lol, I love Dharma and Greg. Jenna Elfman would make me happy.

I want spoilers so bad... I try not to think about the finale too much so I don't get depressed. But I had seen that letter from Thomas Gibson a while ago, so I haven't been TOO tortured.

I'm fricking mad because I was partying Friday night and the people in my house forgot to tape 'Damaged'...

Hotch can NOT die!!! Nobody can lead the team like him.Actually,I don't want anybody to leave.This is probably the only show that I like the whole cast.

Thanks for the reassuring words about Thomas Gibson.It helps.But I want spoilers now.:lol:

Most spoilers don't seem to come out until August. I remember that the spoiler pics for Mayhem didn't come out until August at the earliest. Besides, doesn't it drive ya'll more crazy to know what's going to happen early? It's easier for me to be worried about Hotch than to know a piece about what happens. Like, for Mayhem, I was being driven insane with trying to figure out how the hell Hotch was still alive, and how he got there, and who did it, and... yeah. With this, even though I know I'll see the spoiler pics when they come out, it's easier for me to deal with not knowing anything. This way I can handle the wait. I'm rambling.

I'll be happier when the trailer comes out. That's frustrating as well, but at least we have some context and sound and information. Spoiler pics tend to be people bleeding or being held at gunpoint or being held against a mirror that was broken with their face. You know, horribly-worrying stuff.

The worst thing is that any spoiler pics will probably end up being, like, the Reaper holding another person at gunpoint. Or members of the team waiting in a hospital. Or bloody floors. Or a body bag just to annoy us.

I'm rambling again. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back