Cow Thread - Moo Moo Here and Moo Moo There

wow, you have a lot of things to do DaWacko.
you don't have bulls, right?

my father is going to rent a black bull and 8/10 calves are black. then we have a white, brown and black. maybe a white and black cow. :lol:
i love black/white cows.

We do have bulls. It's nowadays rare to keep bulls but we do even we don't use 'em to get new moos. Sometimes when AI bull doesn't do the work (moos just don't get pregnant) we may use own bull because it has better success :lol:

But it's all about breeding and Finnish genetics and famous so we really don't want to ruin the work :p

You know what, I hate tagging too. Why on earth there needs to be two of those? I think you could add to one all needed info, but NO. EU wants two. But then... I think it's better than old way, when you clipped their years in a certain way to mark/tag them.

I got three "new" heifers out today. They are born in October and never been outside. One learnt after two shocks that you gotta be aware of that orange line and two others refused to understand and tested it a lot more.

BABY MOO!!!!
Yesterday a new baby moo was born at 9 a.m.
It's a boy and soo cute!
The good thing with Highlands is that you don't need a doctor. I didn't watch the birth but my father was there to help because it was the first baby for the brown highland cattle.

Here are some pics:

Hello baby boy
Baby and mommy
baby and mommy
:D
Baby Highland cattles look more like a lamb than a cow.
my father seperated the baby and his mommy from the other two. Tomorrow they will meet each other. Hopefully the white highland cattle is going to be nice to the baby... :eek:

Oh man :D Damn I love those Highlands :D so furry! And what adorable boy :D So you tag it right away :eek:
I guess it's hard to tag later on when they just are with their mom and get bigger and stronger.

We usually wait until burn the horns. Of if those grow slow.. then I tag it bit earlier. All horror at once, I feel it's easier. Had to save the pics :D

I took lots of pics few days ago and will post those soon :D

DaWacko said:
So you tag it right away :eek:
I guess it's hard to tag later on when they just are with their mom and get bigger and stronger.

I was against the early tagging but my father said that it was ok. I asked him hundred times: Don't you have to wait?
Honestly I don't know much about such things. I hope it will not cause problems, like an ear infection. :(
The mother licked the earmark the whole day. She thought it was dirt. :lol:
It is her first calf and she's doing great. Must be the mother instinct.

I look forward to your pics! :)
Baby cows are so cute and adorable. :D

the next question is a little bit stupid, but which are the first two capitals of your earmarks? Here it's AT = Austria

Adorable pics inge! :D Thanks very much for sharing those!

Which reminds me, I have some pics of 3 Highland cows that I saw on holiday in Scotland last month :D I'll try to get those up tomorrow ;)

Here if I remember right... EU says it has to be registered in next 7 days and to be tagged in three days after registeration. It's stupid rule. I do register them but do not tag them right away. Because it's so horrible. I haven't seen any infections. When those first started when we joined EU, I used to clean every tag before attaching it but I've given up. I so hate that you need two of those. Just liek you couldn't put all info to one tag. And those are made in France! Our country code is FI :)

And then few pics

Vanuatu, few days old
Vanuatu waiting for milk
Värttinä, a month old

Then my Eastern Finncattle Ulpu
There's only 300 pure breed left in whole country :) So they are rare and man is she awesome!

May I ask if they're milk cows or *don't let them read this* meat cows?
'cause if they're the 2º I've to stop watching pics or I feel bad...
The tags are necessary but yep,poor things look as steaks with legs with them...
In my region there are lot of cows but they don't look that way,never seen hairy ones,here there are the typical white with black spots ones and light brown,dunno the name in English.
Asturiana de los valles.
Frisonas.

The first one is my region's autochthonous race.

^^ ok, then i don't answer your question Hormiga, if you don't want to know. :p
I love your pics and I like black/white cows.

cute pics DaWacko! The Eastern Finncattle is adorable.
silly me, it's clear that your code is FI. :rolleyes:
poor cows, it's so hot here and they don't like the heat. They like snow and rain more. ;)
I'm looking forward to your pics wibble!

inge said:
^^ ok, then i don't answer your question Hormiga, if you don't want to know. :p
Touché. :(

I didn't take the pics,just google them,but I promise to take some cows' pics next time I'll go to the country. ;)

Ah yes Hormiga... beefcattle you mean. I assume your pic of black 'n white is Friesian (dutch one) or breeded from it :D

Warm weather has been problem here too... and no shadows or trees to cover them.

Awww damn they are cute :D

We got one calf in 13th, thank GOD finally a bull! He looks very... bull :lol: Her mom paralyzed on the next morning but is doing well now. Yesterday morning we got two,one girl and then 2nd cow got a bull but it was already dead :(

The fact that I had to collect the dead calf (she was out to field when she got that calf) when his mom was licking him furiously and poking him a bit and when I lifted it to cart and mom followed me and poked me so I had to stop and she want to lick him again so he'd wake up. Then she went to drink and I got off the field. She noticed and looked how I pushed the calf away. And whole day she just stared at me. :( :(

Alrighty, three down two to go this week :D

ah bless poor mummy. its still heart wrenching when it happens we have sheep that do it all the time.
we have a fox creeping about at the moment keeps getting the chickens.
2 piglets went off to slaughter yesterday. boo hoo. poor things. hate that.
well we have to cows due to drop anytime now so its just a matter of waiting.
saw some beauties yesterday tan calves so cute

Congrats to the healty babies! :D
sorry for the dead baby! :( :(
It's always so sad when things like that happen.
poor mommy.
cows are very sensitive animals.

Back