"Coup de Grace" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Oct 10, 2009.

1. byline

byline CSI Level One

He's a physician, so he might link those things together in his mind more readily, thus he might have ideas that are different from the other CSIs.

2. 915

915 CSI Level One

I know, but I swear it happens all the time that he comes up with the thing that solves the case and he's always right and the others would never think of the idea :rolleyes: and it seems a little much to me, that's just my opinion though not saying you guys have to agree with me.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  3. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

ITA! They have dumb downed the other characters and it's annoying. Yes, I know in some aspect he's a physician and has studied a lot, but come on. Suddenly, Catherine and Nick, and Sara for that matter, can't solve it or come up with that missing link. :rolleyes:

One of the times that bothered me was the second episode with the Milander boy and Ray asked if all the evidence was processed? Do they really expect us to believe that Nick and Sara hadn't thought of that? I mean come on. :rolleyes:

4. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Good episode by DR.
    I was less annoyed by Ray's wisdom in this one. The findings dealt with medical (and pathology related) issues, so it made sense for Ray to figure it out.
    I think I'm going to like Enrique's character.:)
    Best line: 'If there's a bullet in his ass, his ass is evidence.' :lol:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  5. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I really liked this episode!

I mean, it did feel like another rip from Season 6 (last weeks "Killer" redux and this ones similarities to "A Bullet Runs Through It") but it still had its own originality.

The moment the second case was introduced, I knew it tied into the main one (again). But Sara's handling of it and the new Detective was pretty good.

Lots of Greg this ep!:) His scenes with the witness reminded me of the James family. Very nice.

One thing though, I don't think we've seen the end of Greg being somewhat upset over his position on the team. When the second case came in, Catherine immediately looked over at Greg. Greg rolled his eyes and looked as though he were about to tell her off, when Sara volunteered to take it.

I love Catherine, but she really made me want to get violent with her.:scream: She hasn't figured out that Greg is upset and if Sara hadn't spoken up (I'm really starting to like that woman!) we would have seen another blow up.

It is my humble opinion that we are heading toward a major Greg meltdown. I can see him lose it with somebody, probably Cath. Also, they said somewhere that Greg was going to be given a new position or something. I don't see that happening unless Cath figures out what is going on. Unfortunatley, the only way I see her catching on is if Greg loses it.

I'm so far very disappointed with Catherine's supervisor capabilities. I'm starting to like Sara and Ecklie more than her. And I love Catherine! :eek:

No Wendy in this ep. Why give her star credit if they aren't going to use her?

I didn't have too many issues with Ray in this, so I'm going to ignore him.

Two asides for this ep: I found the autopsy on Finn to be particularly gruesome. Awesome! And for some reason I liked the music used in this ep, mainly that groovy piece when Hodges was doing his thing.

Great Ep! Perhaps my favorite this season so far!

6. K-Bug

K-Bug Lab Technician

I really liked this one, better than eps 2 and 3. I didn't love it as much as the premeire, but it was still really good. Lots of twists and turns and dark undertones, which is how I like it. I felt that there was a lot of Catherine, but maybe I'm just comparing it to the past couple weeks. Marg worked well with what they gave her, so much love to her. Loved that opening scene after the teaser where they used the camera to show her POV as she's walking through the halls, seeing all the officers/witnesses staring at her. Believe me, I work in some inner city schools, and there's always that underlying racial tension going on, and in this situation, they played well with it.

I wonder if Laurence improvised on the scene in the room where they were talking about the case, when he banged on the filing cabinet. Marg jumped like a foot and had a "No he didn't just do that!" look on her face, and Eric and Jorja looked like they had little smirks on their faces, like they wanted to laugh but they realized that it would be good in the scene. Might just be me, though, but I really liked that scene. Catherine's line of "We say things we really don't mean when we are under stress. Don't we?" then her pointed look to Sara, who looked at Nick, was really, really good. I think that was kinda their way to show that any animosity between Cath and Sara is done and they can be professionals, or even friends.

My mom totally called the whole suicide thing. She went "I bet he kills himself." and like a minute later he did.

Nice to see some Brass again. He didn't really have any good one-liners, but he was really a presence throughout the episode. I love when that man gets really pissed, too. Hotness.

All in all, pretty good! Can't wait for Bloodsport though...

7. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

who doesnt want to more cath
    i give last nite a B+
    i didnt like at the ending ray figured it all out,yes he's intelligent we get it, but so is the rest of the team,and if the great ray had to figure it out why couldnt he have figured it out with someone-cath, al,..even wendy since she's in the credits but we never get to see her anymore
    brass got some time:thumbsup:
    we know where sara was last week:thumbsup:but they could have said something last week
    and i love this new officer-ernique
    and sara's comment on the killers but being evidence:thumbsup::lol:
    hodges calling ray wise one:rolleyes:
    the 2 cases connected is starting to get a little old

8. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

the episode was nothing special really. reminded me of Paper or Plastic slash A Bullet Runs Through It. nasty cop gets cleared, shooting reconstruction, plus a racial issue.

the only thing that bothers me is that the team has a whole bunch of people in it and it seems that the only thinking person is Ray. he is finding those new theories while the rest of the team doesn't talk and mindelessly stare at him with their mouths open.

Sara was there to collect DNA and read the results out of the computer, and i wish that the writers would've given her more to do. maybe she and the rest of the old team could've came up with a theory that would not turn out a straight-forward rubbish.

if TPTB really HAVE to make Ray the omniscent one, just let someone else figure out something. Grissom used to be wrong sometimes, and rather liked when someone else voiced theories, even when he already knew the answer, so that they could learn. Ray comes in and goes all "Y'all, this is how it was, and all of you are wrong." maybe he just talks too much.

i understand making Ray a second Grissom would've been an even bigger miss since he is a newbie, but i wish it was more of a team effort. i mean all Nick did in this episode was figure out the position at which Johnson stood. and then he went and stood in the same spot. Catherine asked a few questions in the offical interrogation. Doc and David basically just said the guy was a vegetarian.

the only real thinking part that was done in this episode was done by Ray.

9. symbeline

symbeline Witness

A pretty decent episode, a little bit on the slow side and with some predictable things, but it also had a lot of good moments and twists. I knew that officer Finn would commit suicide and that Sara's case would be connected, but it didn't bother me too much. Overall, I enjoyed the episode and I'm happy to see that everybody had a decent screentime, except for Catherine. I'm also wondering why is that.

I loved Sara and the new detective, they have good chemistry. I'm looking forward to see more of them together. I've never seen the actor before, but he made a good impression. I hope they keep him.

Except for the Sherlock!Ray moment and his patronizing tone in the breakroom scene --again-- this was a good episode and a good sign that this is going to be a great season.

I hope you are right. It's time for a good Greg episode.

Yeah, more than usual. I'm not squeamish but it felt too much.

10. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I thought it was ok. Not close to the best I've seen but not the worst either.

Not only did this ep remind me of Fromansky (from Paper or Plastic in season 4) but I also thought that Finn kinda looked like him! :lol:

I'm starting to feel that they're trying to make Doc Robbins redundant. Doc Robbins would have made note of the bruising and anything else during the autopsy of Finn (at least back in the earlier seasons). Yet Langston sees the bruising and knows exactly what to look for. The guy must have a photographic memory - except for making the corn bomb in The Grave Shift I don't remember his ever looking things up. :( Grissom may have been just as smart but he frequently reminded us that being wrong was how he got to right and we could see him looking up information before coming out with the answers. Langston doesn't seem to ever be wrong.

As soon as they came up with the second case I knew it was going to be connected with the first one. Did like the little phone convo between Nick and Sara. At least they ID'ed him quickly. :lol: I just wonder if we're going to ever get another 4x4 or Toe Tags type episode where the cases are completely unconnected.

Nick asked in the end 'Who's the bad guy?'. Untimately the gang banger would probably be the only one to take the fall. I would hope that the LVPD would be facing criticism from it though. How many lives (& for how long) did Finn put at risk each day. Ultimately I think that was Nick's point in asking it. They may have found a reason for Finn's actions but it doesn't make it any more right than the gang banger's actions.

Susan

11. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

A good episode. Remnant of A Bullet Runs Through It and Paper or Plastic. Both very outstanding episodes IMO.
    This one was solid.

A good case, you don't know who was at fault and I like those kinds of cases. The team was unified and worked together.

Sara's return hasn't bothered me as much as I though it would. BUT.. do we really have to get a GSR reference every time? I'm not a huge Sara fan. I miss the team unity the show once had. I'm starting to live without Grissom but come on, do we have to hear about their marriage every convo? :wtf:
    And she must be a very strong woman to be apart from her husband like that. I'm not sure I could. ;)

12. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I wouldn't go so far to say every conversation. This episode had the reference only once when Sara first appeared on screen. And the vibe I got was that she didn't even want to talk about. A few quick words to Ecklie and then she asked about the case. We didn't hear about it again for the rest of the ep.

13. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I noticed that whole scene too. You can definitely see Greg was about to say something before Sara spoke up.

I can see Sara maybe saying something to Catherine about Greg feeling like the low guy on the totem pole still, when it should be Ray by all means. I know Greg is back to being the youngest on the team but still he's been around them for 10 years, 5 years as a CSI now. Give him some credit.

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

4 and a half out of 5 stars. Solid A :) Good episode!

I was reminded of Mrs. James too.

I like Det. Moreno. :)

Screentime this week was much much better amongst the CSIs. Ray- 10, Cath and Nick- 8 each, Greg- 7, Sara- 9. Vast improvement upon last week.

I liked the test run Cath had Greg do in the conference room (or whatever).

"A whole other box of crayons." I rather like that expression. :)

I knew it was going to end up that the dead cop was meeting the dead kid. That part was a bit predictable, but that's okay. It's only predictable because I've seen so many procedural shows. :lol:

Lawyer: I can't defend this guy. - Yeah, that's an understatement.

French fries with grape jelly? Gross! :lol: And I thought french fries with mayo was gross. :lol:

I had a feeling the cop was going to kill himself.

No new ep next week. :( Repeat of "19 Down". Supernatural's a repeat next week too. Whatever will I do at 8pm next Thursday? :lol:

That was a good line. :lol: Moreno didn't play around either. If they guy wouldn't answer the question and was being a pain in the butt, then Moreno gave him a dose of his own medicine, literally giving him more pain the butt. :lol:

Greg looked ready for a confrontation when Cath looked at him after the 420 was announced. God bless Sara for volunteering to take the case. Greg told her everyone treated him like the newbie, so there's that. And She probably knew that cases involving dead kids never sat well with Greg anyway. Remember the little boy in the box? And I believe Sara worked that case with Greg.

I liked the music playing while Hodges was working. And I found him calling Ray "oh wise one" was funny... Hodges said it in a bit of a sarcastic, snarky tone which is very Hodges. :lol:

I thought they looked alike too. :lol:

15. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Yeah, they're making Doc Robbins look dumb too. I mean, seriously, it's amazing that they were able to solve any cases before Langston came along. Yes, we had Grissom, but even he was wrong at times and my guess is, if Grissom was still there, that he'd be made to look dumb, as well. :rolleyes:

I want a case where Langston thinks he's so right, that he ends up wrong and almost destroys the case. Geesh. :rolleyes: