Character Development/Screentime Discussion

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think Nick really needs to spend more time with a therapist. He went his mandatory 2 times and seems to have steadied up, especially around firearms. I perceived him as angry in Targets of Obsession, but not on the verge of a breakdown. He was understandably sorrowful at having to shoot Bieber's character, but it was shoot or possibly be killed, and he seemed strong enough to handle that, unlike in Shock Waves.

I just have to remind myself that you all have watched Nick grow over 11 years, and except for Season 11 itself, I've gone back and watched his growth from S1 to S10 over a span of 3 months. I admire how mature he's become, but I also love the character at any stage of his 11 seasons. I think I can handle a season ciffie, as long as it isn't about him. It was only moderately easy to watch Grave Danger, already knowing he lives another 6 seasons. :lol:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think Nick really needs to spend more time with a therapist. He went his mandatory 2 times and seems to have steadied up, especially around firearms. I perceived him as angry in Targets of Obsession, but not on the verge of a breakdown. He was understandably sorrowful at having to shoot Bieber's character, but it was shoot or possibly be killed, and he seemed strong enough to handle that, unlike in Shock Waves.

I'm actually with you on this. Unless he himself feels the need, I don't think he needs therapy. I agree that while angry in "Target of Obsession", he seemed to be in control of himself.

I've been thinking (oh, no, lol) a little since I made my last post. When I first started watching S11 back in September, I didn't know Marg was talking about leaving the show. After seeing what Nick had been through, it seemed appropriate to have those times where Nick needed some therapy, or at least someone to talk to. As the season progressed and it looked like the ptb were going to be in need of having a new supervisor if Marg left, it seems right that they would downplay Nick's emotional state a little, to keep him strong as a contender for the spot. I see there's been a lot of debate everywhere as to a replacement, but as a fan of Nick, I don't think I could stand it if someone else were promoted over him. My only fear if he get's the job is that he would be more desk bound, and we would lose his screen time in the field, which would be a total shame.

My only fear if he get's the job is that he would be more desk bound, and we would lose his screen time in the field, which would be a total shame.
I could see why you would think that, but remember...Grissom spent a lot of time, or most of his time out in the field and working on cases. Perhaps it was because the character was just avoiding all the paper work. :lol: Catherine is a little different, yet she is often out in the field as well. But I'm guessing why we didn't see as much of her out of the lab last season, was due to the personal issues Marg was dealing with. So I don't think you have to worry to much about that.

But that's just a thought though...:)

My only fear if he get's the job is that he would be more desk bound, and we would lose his screen time in the field, which would be a total shame.
I could see why you would think that, but remember...Grissom spent a lot of time, or most of his time out in the field and working on cases. Perhaps it was because the character was just avoiding all the paper work. :lol: Catherine is a little different, yet she is often out in the field as well. But I'm guessing why we didn't see as much of her out of the lab last season, was due to the personal issues Marg was dealing with. So I don't think you have to worry to much about that.

But that's just a thought though...:)

Good points DJ, thanks for pointing them out. I appreciate getting thoughts from people who have been watching a lot longer than me.

That was one character trait of Grissom that I really admired: how he was out at every scene he could be, and that's why I, myself, would assume Nick would do no less. George says he has input with the writers, so hopefully he feels the same as us ;)

So now that the season is winding down which character has given us the most for their money, or who's stunned or annoyed us. Anyone who should be gone or anyone who should stay or come back. Who should stay and who should go besides Cath, but that's not happening either. It looks like she'll be back fr S/12, and will she still be the suprivisor , or will it be Nicky?

Well, since George Eads has stated that he plans to stay with the series till it ends, I highly doubt Nick would be written out before then. And, since Sara has already been written out once (only to return), I can't see it being Jorja. I would like to see Liz Vassey return to the cast, but am not seeing any signs of that happening. I would love it if Sofia would make a permanent comeback, but so far all we're seeing for Louise Lombard is one episode this season. Catherine is the only one who's likely to be phased out, à la Grissom, but it will be interesting to see how long that plays out, or if Marg stays longer than Petersen. It could be Ray. The character has generated a fair bit of ambivalence among fans, and I've read that Laurence Fishburne might want to leave, so who knows? It will be interesting to see how this all plays out for Season 12.

Eric has also always said he would stay with the show until the end, so I think him and George are the only ones we know for sure would probably be there until the end.

On "character development" [a big fan too] I have seen Ray as the most changed, from the 1st time we saw him in "19 Down" so soft-spoken and laid back to some ansty moments in "Mascara" and Irradiator" getting p..off at the perps who were bugging him or lying, to now full on anger and rage with this creep show tormenting him for 2 years. A big stretch and so many layers to him. I know he's a big screen star and got paid big buckos $14 million to be in 1st two seasons, but he signed up for the 3rd one. The thing about him, that's delightful, is how he's bonded with the team they like him and he likes them, that's a beautiful thing. Time will tell if he stays or not. I'm totally enjoying his portrayal as Langston:thumbsup:

So after 11 years and still going, I wonder if in fact Nick will be the head honch. And how will this develop? Will it be a passing of Cath's mantle, and she will tell him or will Ecklie be involved? It will be great if after all these years Nick will be the supervisor:)

Hmm...Nick is the obvious choice for supervisor. I've always imagined Nick's transition into supervisor would be fairly quick. He would get right to work and handle business. There wouldn't be any of the introspection like there was back in season 10 with Cath's transition.
When Grissom got his team back in season 6 there was little fanfare and I've always imagined Nick would take the same approach. Hopefully Ecklie will be involved because Ecklie never gets enough screentime. No one can replace Ecklie's smarmy attitude. It's one of the few things of CSI that hasn't changed since season one.
The character has generated a fair bit of ambivalence among fans, and I've read that Laurence Fishburne might want to leave, so who knows? It will be interesting to see how this all plays out for Season 12.
I hope Mr. Fishburne doesn't leave. I know everyone has an opinion about the character and the man behind the character but honestly if he leaves, the show is going to be SOL. A show without a leading lady and leading man is a show that's hobbling around waiting to be axed by the big bad CBS executives.

The character has generated a fair bit of ambivalence among fans, and I've read that Laurence Fishburne might want to leave, so who knows? It will be interesting to see how this all plays out for Season 12.
I hope Mr. Fishburne doesn't leave. I know everyone has an opinion about the character and the man behind the character but honestly if he leaves, the show is going to be SOL. A show without a leading lady and leading man is a show that's hobbling around waiting to be axed by the big bad CBS executives.
I agree that with Marg leaving, it would not be a good thing him to leave too . . . unless Billy came back, which I just don't see happening. So hopefully we will get past this "one personality vs. another" mentality that has dominated the Haskell story arc, and we'll get back to the basics of what set "CSI" apart and made it so great: solving crimes with science.

This is recent and orginally posted by vegaslights, on the "spoiler" thread, but I found this from "The Hollywood Insider"~

Next season, Fishburne tells us that "he's not going anywhere" "I'm having a great time", he says, while acknowledging that it was a "challenge" replacing William Petersen [Grissom]. "I was cognizant of the fact that Grissom was a much loved character, I made it my business to sit down and watch most every episode of CSI from S/1 till I came on. It was about understanding the world & becoming as immersed in the show as possible, "I LOVE IT":thumbsup:

I agree that with Marg leaving, it would not be a good thing him to leave too . . . unless Billy came back, which I just don't see happening. So hopefully we will get past this "one personality vs. another" mentality that has dominated the Haskell story arc, and we'll get back to the basics of what set "CSI" apart and made it so great: solving crimes with science.
I never thought I'd say this but I actually would like a return to the CSI where it was all about the forensics. I like Langston but I'm just getting a little exhausted hearing about his issues/problems/motivations. I love learning more about the characters but there has to be a limit. He's been the focus of three season finales back-to-back. Not to mention that two of those finales were/are two-part episodes. I need a Langston detox, pronto.:lol:

Back