Character Development/Screentime Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

This thread is for all things related to screen time, storylines, and development of characters. You can make your case (or just wish!) for why your favorite character needs/deserves more screen time. You can tally up how much screen time your favorite character got in each episode. You can discuss how your favorite character has grown over the seasons. And you can discuss what you would like to see happen for your favorite character. :)

Back and forth discussion is allowed and encouraged, but please be respectful of your fellow posters and their favorite characters. Do not simply bash a character because you don’t like him/her. If you disagree with someone, state your case in a civil and courteous manner.

This thread is NOT a spoiler thread. If you want to discuss something that is upcoming in an episode, you must use spoiler tags. The reason for this is because this thread is for discussion about how a character has been represented in the past or what you want for the character in the future.

Also, please remember this is not a ship discussion thread. Discussing a hope for potential romance in general is allowed, but specific ship talk belongs in the shipper forum.

Thank you for your cooperation, and let the discussion begin! :)

2. Smokey

C'mon, guys! Don't be shy! ;)

To start you off, here are a few of the most recent items from the previous discussion....

3. Smokey

More discussion from the other thread...

4. Smokey

5. Smokey

6. Smokey

7. electra

electra Pathologist

The writers also have neglected Catherine recently.I mean,now that she is a supervisor ,she is having less scenes.There were episodes last season that she only got 2-3 scenes per episode.I like her relationship with Vartan but I want to see more of her with Lindsay,her mother or even how a case affects her.

8. DragonFriend95

DragonFriend95 Lab Technician

Is it just me or were they trying to develop the lab rats characters more? I mean they had the whole Wedges thing, then they had Henry's birthday in Appendicitement and Archie finding that dead woman in Panty Sniffer.

If they are then I'm not complaining, but still I would've liked to see some of Wedges/Ray screentime given to the characters that were not as much seen this year, like Cath, Greg, Brass etc.

electra-Agreed. Tptb seem to find it impossible to leave a woman in charge, so instead they have Ray seemingly take over the lab with Cath being pushed to the side along with Greg :(

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

You all have to remember that Marg may have asked for less screentime, thus less time on the set. She was already considering leaving the show when the writer's strike happened and decided to stay on a little longer. So she probably lessened her time on the set.

10. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I do like Cath's new relationship too. But I also want to see her as the supervisor and the leader.

I think her lack of screen time after The Panty Sniffer was due to the fact it was such a Cath-heavy episode. World's End was a good sort of in between one for her. And we all know where she was and who she was with after The Panty Sniffer. ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'd like to see Vartann's character fleshed out more. I would like to see him as the detective he was not just 'Catherine's boy toy.' He had a sense of humor and he had some good snarky remarks. Sort of like Brass.

Now that we know about some of his back story, his son, his ex wife. I'd like to see a case involving his son and how conflicted Catherine would be when that came across her desk. :eek:

11. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

My wish list for what I would like to see in season 11

LESS Ray for starters, CSI is a crime show with a team not a one man show

NO MORE dumbing down characters (like Greg for example) and have Ray be the only one to solve the case, that's one of the reasons why I don't like the end of Coup de Grace and several season 9 episodes

I want Catherine to have some more screentime since she is supervisor and her screentime is still poor sometimes, continue her relationship with Vartann :thumbsup:, I don't have to see a piece of Vartllows every episode, I'd be happy with every 2 to 4 episodes

More Greggo, I'd like him to have more screetime, a storyline, or both :):) plus when was the last time he had an episode

I was so happy Brass got an episode (Lost and Found) this year especially since his screentime hasn't been that good for awhile, I'd like him to have a few more scenes, some good one liners, and Ellie's return would make a good episode or storyline

I dunno I'd kinda like to see Nick get a girlfriend and have him continue to grow in his assistant supervisor role

I like having Sara back, it helps it feel like the old CSI, I don't mind if her screentime is like s10

12. SpasmThatCat

SpasmThatCat Police Officer

I think that since LF joined the cast he's been monopolising the storylines a bit, which is odd seeing as he's supposed to be the team member with the least seniority. But I can see why TPTB have done it, what with him being a big name, y'know? They've got to get their moneysworth.

But I do agree that the other characters (with the possible exception of Nick) have all paid the price for it. And Greg seems to have been pretty much in the background now for the past two seasons - he definitely needs some decent storylines and some character progression.

I think there was a question asked about his book in the previous thread? According to a Greg Sanders FB page recently (one which is actually quite funny for a character one!) David Rambo was asked about the book and said 'If I recall correctly, he said something like it didn't work out. But that doesn't mean we've heard the last of it.' There was some indignance in the response... :D

13. byline

byline CSI Level One

I've long had a theory that it wasn't just that. Others are speculating that possibly Marg was asking for less screen time; hard for us to know, but I've been wondering about that for a while know, especially when her marriage was ending. And, of course, there was the problem last season with George and his disc/sciatica issues (which hopefully are completely resolved now). It seems to me that at that point, the powers that be could've given Greg a higher profile, but maybe they didn't feel his character was a strong enough one to come to the forefront. And, of course, they'd hired an actor with a proven track record to take Billy's place, and he didn't come cheap, so of course they had to use him. Maybe they felt that Laurence was the answer to several problems all coming to the fore simultaneously.

14. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I'm thrilled that Laurence Fishburne is playing Dr. Raymond Langston. Couldn't be happier, He was hired as the new "lead" and he's doing a brilliant job as this character. I have no complaints, the more of him for me the better. He's magnificent. But what is the icing on the big cake is, how he's bonded with the whole team They are are in awe and admiration of him. He's laid back, & mellow but with a twist of mystery, which is fascinating. And how the team is more relaxed and calm with his presence. I like the direction the show is going and the different perspective, it's taken. As far a character development, I want to see Ray's past issues, his dad his wife [he does wear a wedding ring] and hope he spills some of that dilemma but, "Nothing stays the same":bolian:which keeps the show interesting and still gripping~

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  15. electra

electra Pathologist

I want to know more about the detectives as well.It would be nice to see more about Vartan and his son to put an exemple.And Brass scenes has been reduced and his snark is one of the things I love the most about CSI.More of him ,please.:)

If Marg is the one that asked for less screentime,I guess I am OK but at least they should give her a good storyline to work.