Character Development/Screentime Discussion

DESERTWIND what was all over the news? I do not belive Jorja/Sara was the reason for Riley and Wendy leaving I did not see anyone from CSI suggest it was. As I said even with Sara they badly need more female presence on the show .

It was on our own forum news in the day, and Wendy had nothing to do with the exit of Riley and the entrance of Jorja:confused: and if you want to research it yourself, go on GOOGLE, and put in whatever you want pertaining to this subject, and there are all kinds of links. We just had a power outage, I was looking for a link, but you can do this at your convience. And you'd have to ask the head honches "why" I know that Zuiker said, "she wasn't a fit or didn't add to the ensemble" or something to that effect. I will give it a try agan, but meanwhile you can do this yourself. And then there's vegaslights he knows all the in's and outs of CSI:bolian:

I did find one link about Lauren/Riley~

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2009/07/lauren-lee-smith-leaves-csi.html

Zuiker wasn't really a part of CSI back in season 9/10 (at least in a day-to-day way). I believe you are talking about the comments Naren Shankar made, and it had nothing to do with not fitting in or adding to the ensemble. In their eyes, sure, maybe. But I think the majority of the show's audience believes that producers were too busy focusing on Ray. If you recall, former producer/writer Corinne Marrinan spoke with CSI Files shortly after season 9 wrapped and believed Lauren would be back and more of her backstory would be revealed:

CSI Files: The other new character on the show, Riley Adams (Lauren Lee Smith) obviously has a rich backstory of her own. Will we find out about the suicide referenced in "Miscarriage of Justice" that obviously haunts her?
Marrinan: I'm pretty confident that that will play out [in season ten]. I'm not sure when. I think she has a really interesting backstory that hasn't been explored yet, so different from everybody else. She has kind of a fun, sassy side to her that is great to play. I just love Lauren--she's delightful on so many levels. [Riley] has some serious trauma in her backstory that she's going to need to deal with because it will present itself in some ways. Like you mentioned in the case of the suicide--being so opinionated almost makes her judgmental. So obviously people are wondering what that's all about. We'll definitely get to explore that. She has a real enigmatic quality to her. It was a big year to be introducing new stories and story arcs for people, between Grissom and Sara's resolution, introducing Langston and getting to know Riley more. I think this is going to be a good year for her

Thank's vegaslights I did mean Naren, Anthony Zuiker is back now, but I found many articles that stated bottom line, no matter if it's harsh or not, they [tptb] preferred Jorja to Lauren. They really wanted Jorja Fox back and left Lauren swinging in the wind. I will try to find those, or our lovely moderator Smokey or DJ can come up with the reason. [the ones they told the fans] It was on the "news" files here at the time. I do remember one thing, how devastated Lauren was when she heard she would not be back:(

Thank's vegaslights I did mean Naren, Anthony Zuiker is back now, but I found many articles that stated bottom line, no matter if it's harsh or not, they [tptb] preferred Jorja to Lauren. They really wanted Jorja Fox back and left Lauren swinging in the wind. I will try to find those, or our lovely moderator Smokey or DJ can come up with the reason. [the ones they told the fans] It was on the "news" files here at the time. I do remember one thing, how devastated Lauren was when she heard she would not be back:(

They said because of all the changes (Grissom leaving, Fishburne coming in) she was shoved to the background and she sorta became the 'victim' to all the changes. They never had a chance to develop her character.

Besides I believe the decision to not have her back was before Jorja was even asked. :confused:

I'm not sure if this is going to help or hurt the discussion. :lol: But regardless, it appears the decision had everything to do with the character (writers' fault) and not the actress.

CSI's Riley Leaves the Lab
by Carita Rizzo July 27, 2009 01:57 PM EST

When CSI returns for its 10th season, the lab will once again be short staffed. Executive producer Naren Shankar confirms to TVGuideMagazine.com that Lauren Lee Smith will not return as series regular, Riley Adams. “She’s not going to be back for Season 10,” he tells us exclusively. “It was an issue of how we were feeling the ensemble was working. When we brought in the character of Riley, it got lost in the shuffle a little bit because we had lost Warrick, we had lost Sara, and then in the middle of last season Grissom finally left. I think, as a result, the character never quite found its footing in terms of the rest of the gang.”

Riley’s absence will open up a slot for Sara Sidle, who is now ready to return to work after her severe burnout in Season 8. “She shows up because the team is understaffed,” says Shankar. “The undersheriff reaches out for a recommendation and Sara says, ‘I think that person might be me.’”
Again, all of this commentary is relating to the characters, not the actresses.

I read all the articles and they do not indicate to me a connection between Riley leaving and Sara. Sara was not on CSI when Riley was so she is not the reason they did not develop Riley's character.

I just think they really were in a lose/lose situation when they brought in Ray. If they made him a new supervisor and skipped Catherine for it, people would have been mad. Instead they brought him in as a lower level CSI but they couldn't keep an actor his caliber in a low level like that. So they made him seem smarter and the quick learning professional when most people really couldn't grab onto his quick learning curve either. I still think they should have never brought in a new lead. I still think the existing actors could have pulled it off.

Former showrunner Naren Shankar said, "No matter what we did, it was going to be wrong."

Ain't that the truth!
With all due respect to NS, that comment is a complete cop-out. There were a lot of things they could have done differently. The fact is they chose to hire a big movie star to join an ensemble cast. Of course they couldn't put LF in the background once the choice was made. The writers had a new muse to write for and CM even stated it would be a 'different' show; and many fans resented, and rejected, the 'different' show. I suspect that's why they asked Jorja back; to try to revive the ensemble cast, which is really what made the show successful for so many years. They should have found someone who would integrate into the cast better; someone who is more of a low profile, yet highly regarded character actor. Sela Ward has been great on NY. She's a highly respected small screen star, and even though she may have a lot of screen time, she doesn't overpower the rest of the cast. At least that's my opinion, FWIW. :)

Last edited:
With all due respect to NS, that comment is a complete cop-out. There were a lot of things they could have done differently. The fact is they chose to hire a big movie star to join an ensemble cast. Of course they couldn't put LF in the background once the choice was made. The writers had a new muse to write for and CM even stated it would be a 'different' show; and many fans resented, and rejected, the 'different' show. I suspect that's why they asked Jorja back; to try to revive the ensemble cast, which is really what made the show successful for so many years. They should have found someone who would integrate into the cast better; someone who is more of a low profile, yet highly regarded character actor. Sela Ward has been great on NY. She's a highly respected small screen star, and even though she may have a lot of screen time, she doesn't overpower the rest of the cast. At least that's my opinion, FWIW. :)
Very well said. That is how I feel too. They got too big of a caliber actor and now the rest of the cast has to be in his shadow, even though his character is technically still the lowest man on the totem pole in rank and years with LVPD Crime Lab.

OK then, for me this subject has been milked to death. Old news. She's gone for whatever reason. I don't think she cut it, my opinion. And it had nothing what-so-ever to do with a "big movie star", that was written in stone.. It didn't happen to Marg/Cath or any of the other original cast members. Moving on, does anyone think they'll bring in a "love" interest for Nick, next season. Greggie got burnt and is still I think licking his wounds. And if maybe they'll bring back Annie to visit Brass, that would be charming. And poor Hodges, he needs a gal pal too. I have also wondered at times if we'll ever see Super Dave's wife or Doc's, lots of interesting situations there:thumbsup: any suggestions on these scenerios?

Last edited:
..... I guess it's best to say we agree to disagree. It's obvious that everyone has their own personal opinion on the given situation. None of us here will ever know all the details shared between tptb and the actors. What is shared with the media isn't necessarily what goes on behind the scenes. But it's sad that such an interesting character got pushed into the background for "various" reasons....*cough* excuses.

But for me, and perhaps it's just me, but I am still waiting to see this supposed "new direction" that was suppose to be the big thing this season....unless I can't see it. Other then a little more team oriented involvement on several cases, it's still pretty much the same procedural show.

And because it's me...
And poor Hodges, he needs a gal pal too
Hello!! Wendy!! Oh but wait, they got rid of her. Why introduce someone new when they spent 2 seasons trying to set these two up.

And in all honesty? Even though SuperDave, Doc and Brass are apart of the opening credits...I can't see tptb investing a whole lot of time exploring their characters when there are others they have to cater to. It'd be kinda cool though.

I hate to be harping on one character, but to me what I've observed is the "new direction" is how the team is a more calm, happy, relaxed serene bunch then when the other guy was in charge. There was friction many times He was either mad at somebody, or them at him, or each other PSSSST:klingon: Dr. Ray has brought this to the team, and set the pace for a more sunny atmosphere, with his happy aura. Nothing is ever perfect in any workplace, but to me since he's entered the show, the whole team is on a higher level of happiness:thumbsup:But your probably right on the writers dwelling on the other characters personal lives, but one never knows on CSI~

The team always seemed happy to me when Grissom was in charge. Gosh I remember when he left how sad they all were to see him go. Yes, there were arguments but every workplace has those moments. They don't seem any happier to me than they did when Grissom was around. If anything I see more tension simply because of Ray's obsession with Haskell.

In any case, I am all for next season in seeing more of Greg, Sara and Nick and the lab rats that remain. We have had more development of Ray in 2 and a half seasons than of any other character in such short time.

I hate to be harping on one character, but to me what I've observed is the "new direction" is how the team is a more calm, happy, relaxed serene bunch then when the other guy was in charge. There was friction many times He was either mad at somebody, or them at him, or each other PSSSST:klingon: Dr. Ray has brought this to the team, and set the pace for a more sunny atmosphere, with his happy aura. Nothing is ever perfect in any workplace, but to me since he's entered the show, the whole team is on a higher level of happiness:thumbsup:But your probably right on the writers dwelling on the other characters personal lives, but one never knows on CSI~

Ray has NOTHING to do with how the team is now? The team is cohesive because of how Grissom brought his team together. The bond between them was formed LONG BEFORE Langston arrived.

And do you watch the same show as us? I've seen many conflicts between the characters. :wtf:

We had Greg being insubordinate with Catherine, Catherine getting snippy with Nick, Nick and Sara have their sibling spats, them rolling their eyes at Langston when he was explaining something, (they never did that with Grissom, tease him about, yes, but eyerolling...no).

They're more happier, no they aren't. You have Nick on the brink of a nervous breakdown :lol:, Greg not happy he isn't getting the respect he deserves, Sara maybe happier, but that's not because of Langston.

Last edited:
Well fans have the right to see things the way they see and perceive them. They all get along with each other better now, is what I was saying. They do have issues, but not really like they did when Grissom was on duty, and Ecklie wasn't happy with his performance, and split up the team, remember that? I have watched this show since the fist episode and I see a happier team than in the past. Everyone has the right to their own opinion, and Ray has everything to do with this, that's how I see it. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, but you need to remember, as I stated in the spoiler thread. Grissom was the boss, Langston is not. Langston can afford to happy and carefree, he doesn't have a team to manage, protect, and other responsibilities.

Langston is not responsible for that happiness. Catherine, Nick, Greg, labrats, are they way they are because of Grissom. He made them be the CSIs they are now.

The have always gone out on the limb with each other and backed each other up, I have yet to see Langston do this. I see them putting their jobs on the line for him, but they did that because of Grissom.

You see it the other way, that's your opinion, but from what I can see the only one who sees that.

:lol:OK what ever works for you, Who do you see when the show starts Oh, I know Laurence Fishburne as Raymond Langston, the LEAD of the show, not the one in charge, but the lead who replaced WP and as the writers have shown the fan he's bonded with them all. He's not responsible for their "happiness", nor them for his. I never said that. I said the team as a unit has better camraderie than in the past, and it's because they see how laid back this man is, and follow suit, and seem to be in a happier place than before. I love how the last 3 seasons have gone because of his quiet powerful presence. I do hope the team settle some isuues, like Nick for sure and gets thearpy if he thinks he needs it, and so on and so forth;)And I'm not the only one who sees that~

Back