Character Development/Screentime Discussion

Bumping this up since there seems to be some discussion about it elsewhere. :) Feel free to debate, vent, present your case, whatever in here. :)

Well once again we saw Ray reveal some more info. about his mysterious past. How he had a abusive alcoholic dad, he mentioned this briefly to Nick In "Dr. Who" , but that he has thei MAO gene, spilling a bit more info. He's in his 3rd season on the show . So now we know he's divorced, and that he had a troubled childhood, with an added point this genetic gene. What else is he gong to drop on the fans. He's a great character so far, so good.:bolian:

Enough with the Ray stuff, he's horrible, he gets way to much screen-time, IMO. The people who should be at the center of the series are now Catherine, Nick, Sara, Greg and Brass, not Dr. Langston. He makes me want to eat a gun.

Enough with the Ray stuff, he's horrible, he gets way to much screen-time, IMO. The people who should be at the center of the series are now Catherine, Nick, Sara, Greg and Brass, not Dr. Langston. He makes me want to eat a gun.

I wouldn't go that far. I may not be his number one fan, but he does have his moments. I especially like him when he's paired off with Doc Robbins. Those scenes are generally enjoyable. And any time he's involved in the medical aspects of a case is when I find him the most believable. They should develop more of that for him.

AH, he replaced WP, and id the lead of the show, and I love him and can't get enough of him, to each one's own:rolleyes:The more Ray the better:bolian:

Well I don't hate Ray, but I certainly rather see the other cast focused on more than Ray. Besides this is supposed to be an ensemble cast and show but at times it seems they focus mostly on two people, especially the last two seasons.

I wouldn't go that far. I may not be his number one fan, but he does have his moments. I especially like him when he's paired off with Doc Robbins. Those scenes are generally enjoyable. And any time he's involved in the medical aspects of a case is when I find him the most believable. They should develop more of that for him.

I myself am a big fan of the Ray/Robbins scenes too, but other than that Ray bugs the hell out of me. "The Gone Dead Train" is a great example of their rapport with one another.

Here's the deal, supposed someone said these comments about say Mac/Gary, [not me I like him] but on the ["eating the gun" ] It's disrespectable to the fan, to the character and to the star. The thing is on this character, is that the whole team likes him, so whoever your fav. character is, just remember that they have embraced him as "one of their own". That means alot, he's not disliked, say for instance Ecklie, but as part of the team. So everytime your insulting him, your insulting the whole team as well, my thoughts on this~

Here's the deal, supposed someone said these comments about say Mac/Gary, [not me I like him] but on the ["eating the gun" ] It's disrespectable to the fan, to the character and to the star. The thing is on this character, is that the whole team likes him, so whoever your fav. character is, just remember that they have embraced him as "one of their own". That means alot, he's not disliked, say for instance Ecklie, but as part of the team. So everytime your insulting him, your insulting the whole team as well, my thoughts on this~

Okay... the team likes him, so what? I'm not quite sure how my opinion of Ray has anything to do with the team. It shouldn't get any fan riled up because it's just a character. A fictional character. If the fan is getting all hot and bothered because someone says they don't like the character, then the fan needs to come to the realization that it's just a TV show.

Like I've said time and time again: I like Laurence Fishburne. But Laurence and Ray are not the same person.

:wtf:So what, everything And nobody is getting hot and bothered,:confused: I am not talking about LF, but the character, Dr. Langston [he's sensational] and how he's bonded with the team. They could treat him lukewarm and nonchalant, and it would affect the whole atmosphere. It is a huge deal that he and them have connected as fictional characters, they all portray and how they treat each other. It is pertinet to how the cases are dealt with & who is going to do what and how. Not all fans see eye to eye on this, and that's OK, I think how the CSI team works in continuity with one another is key and revelant to the whole show~

Dr. Langston hasn't "bonded" with the team, he's a Junior CSI who acts like he knows everything... I may have exaggerated about wanting to eat a gun :p I love Laurence Fishburne, but Ray, I hate him, I hate how he has been made the lead of the cast when really its an ensemble, I even hate how he got the "starring" credit, instead of Marg.

I would have preferred John Malkovich to get the lead role after Petersen left, because Fishburne just doesn't "gel" with the cast.

Dr. Langston hasn't "bonded" with the team, he's a Junior CSI who acts like he knows everything... I may have exaggerated about wanting to eat a gun :p I love Laurence Fishburne, but Ray, I hate him, I hate how he has been made the lead of the cast when really its an ensemble, I even hate how he got the "starring" credit, instead of Marg.

I would have preferred John Malkovich to get the lead role after Petersen left, because Fishburne just doesn't "gel" with the cast.

OK, that's fine:rolleyes: so he hasn't bonded with Nick, Cath, Sara, Doc, Greg it's just my imagnation? Nick and him are tight as a fine wine. "Ray, we're a team" Doc gave him the cane and they hugged or was this all in my mind? Cath he's a class act, and Ray, your ass is a work of art" CSI dialogue. And Sara so in tune on the cases. Greg I like Ray. They are totally smitten with him as the rest are, even the lab rats. It has been presented to the fans that he in fact has, he's got a harmonious relationship, with the whole team. He never ever bosses or tells anyone what to do, quite the opposite. Listens to them, as they listen to him. And he's in his 3rd season and wishing John Malkovich got the lead role is kinda of a moot point isn't it? And the top writer Carol M. has stated that "he was at the top of our dream list" as Dr. Ray, he has in fact gelled, bonded, in tune with and his performance is "Intoxicating" and has remarkable camraderie with the whole team even Hodges and who has accomplished that? He's a hit, as Langston, and it's a beautiful thing:bolian:

Last edited:
It's really hard to take anything you say seriously, Desertwind, when you make it sound like Ray is utter perfection and he's the greatest of all Gods.

When you're constantly posting in every thread that "Ray is awesome"--I have yet to see you point out any of his many flaws. Sure, you're right that Laurence Fishburne was at the top of Carol Mendelsohn's "dream list," but he wasn't the only one (CSI:NYfan mentioned John Malkovich, who was on the list with Laurence along with Kurt Russell). Not to mention many of the things you say about Ray are becoming moot points. We get that you think he's "intoxicating," "charming," and full of "wonderful camaraderie" and eventually there's a point where you begin to beat a dead horse.

vegaslights I like this character,& how he gets along with the cast..I'm not talking about Laurence Fishburne, and that's a fact.. so what's the problem? why do you care? you like Sela Ward as Jo, shall I start saying unflattering things about her, and I could, but I wouldn't do that, because I don't come on here to dice/slice and upset other fans and their likes and dislikes. Everything I posted is a fact, I think this character if great you don't so be it. Eveyone doesn't like the same characters but what does it accomplish to say derogatory comments, about a character a fan does think is great? nothing~:rolleyes:And I don't care to have confrontations on a public forum OK?

Last edited:
I AM NOT SAYING BAD THINGS ABOUT LAURENCE FISHBURNE. :lol: I'm talking about the character. You can say all the unflattering things about Jo Danville that you want... I know when to praise and when to criticize a character, apparently you do not. Oh well.

Back