Carmine Giovinazzo Fan Project: You Don't Have To Be Lonely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Carmine Giovinazzo Fan Project: You Don't Have To Be Lon

AHHHH, I spied some Nietzsche ;) I have a poster in my office with various quotes and Nietzsche is one of the quotes, and one of my favorites on there. (can't remember it right now, of course. :rolleyes:)

The one on my mind now is one by Freud (love the man)

"Self-betrayal oozes from all pores because we mortals cannot keep secrets."

I am pumped for the new project to get started! and I really need to get away from here. We have like 3-8 inches of snow coming this weekend. Not right.

Hmmm... with all this talk about Nietzsche, I may have to get a hold of some and read it. Sounds like theres some good reading to be done... :) I've been missing out.

^ You're a college student and you haven't hit Nietzsche yet? :eek: Enroll in a philosophy class so you can read him and get credit at the same time. ;) As a tip, if you're interested, find a political philosophy class that covers his work because the political philosophers tend to be more formalistic and easier to understand for the novice reader. Nietzsche also comes into play in existential philosophy courses (that's where the real stuff lies IMHO), but the less structured logic in that movement can be more difficult for a newbie philosophy student to understand. That's just my opinion, but I offer it because I was always a whore for the grades and some of the contexts in which you encounter Nietzsche may not be so easy on the 'ol report card unless you're truly into it.

MrsGiovinazzo said:
Nietzsche also comes into play in existential philosophy courses (that's where the real stuff lies IMHO), but the less structured logic in that movement can be more difficult for a newbie philosophy student to understand.

But OH so way more interesting :)

^ Waaaaay more interesting. I only mentioned it because I've met the girl and didn't get a deeply existential vibe and I also know she's interested in transferring colleges, so presumably grades matter. Don't want her to bite off anything unnecessarily intellectual. :lol:

But, yeah, the existentialists are infinitely more interesting to read and discuss ... except, I've gotta say and I'm almost embarassed to admit this, but I recently re-read "Fear and Trembling" by Kierkegaard because I had a really hard time with it in college. Sooooo, a law degree, years of practice and assloads of study in reasoning later, one would think it would be an easier read. Not so. That took some work. :lol:

*mind wanders* Y'all are making me feel teh stoopid. :confused:

:lol:

^ Never studied philosophy formally. Just do the occasional bit of reading. (Occasional??? :eek: :lol:)

Existential philosophy can be an interesting subject to get your head around :lol:

I was doing an honours degree in pyschology until my sister was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour. That bought about some necessary reevaluating of what was important in my life. At that time I decided study was not the be all and end all and I had more important fish to fry. Might pick it up again one day. Might not. I'm way more interested in creative pursuits these days.

Yeah, I know Philosophy is one of my classes I have to take next semester, so hopefully - with luck, we'll read Nietzsche.

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit, I dont wear the "I'm smart and get good grades" hat in my family, and as much as I love reading and writing and all that goes with it, if something confuses me during the Preface, I'm already screwed. So, we'll see what happens. I'll keep you gals posted, someday I may feel smart enough to join in on all these talks about authors and they're work... :) I did however, buy Hill Harpers book today, I was excited, hopefully I'll get to reading it at some point before school starts back up.

Fay - dont feel stupid - or, if you do, I'm right there in the same boat with you... ::hands Fay a paddle for our boat::

this place went way OT... lol.. my bad...

So... next project - cant wait!!

^ eh don't forget we've got a 'few' years on you girls :D Maybe it's not about how smart you are but how much lonnnnger we've had to read :lol:

Nietzsche! Used to love mining quotes from him. :lol: Believe it or not, where I come from, schools don't even teach philosophy, not a bit. I had to learn it via the wonderful internet ... it's amazing what a treasure trove of knowledge there is online, if you know where to look. :) Oh, and that chaos-dancing-star quote used to be my signature for my emails too!

Back on topic, I can't wait for the new project. :devil: Oh, wait. There's nothing naughty about it. Guess there's no point in using the evil symbol for it, huh? :p

Faylinn said:

:lol: Don't worry hon. I have no idea who this guy is either. So basically, you're with stupid & I mean me :lol:.

jorja_fan86 said:
Faylinn said:

:lol: Don't worry hon. I have no idea who this guy is either. So basically, you're with stupid & I mean me :lol:.

Well, just count me in as stupid too. Can I join you both? I have no idea who he is either. But Philosphy isn't something that interests me. :p

^ eh don't forget we've got a 'few' years on you girls Maybe it's not about how smart you are but how much lonnnnger we've had to read.
I have a few years on those girls too. Probably more than most posters on here and like I said above, I haven't a clue.

1CSIMfan said:
I have a few years on those girls too. Probably more than most posters on here and like I said above, I haven't a clue.

Hey, don't worry. I'm a university lecturer, I'm in my forties and I don't get it either.... :D

Count me in on that. I took *MATH* to escape taking Philosophy under any circumstances. Thank goodness for options with your electives. ;)

Can't wait until Monday. It'll be my first project here and I'm so excited!

Any news if Carmine recieved the last one? I'm too curious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back