Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Thread

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by MrsGiovinazzo, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Re: Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Threa

I think we've been a bit hard on Danny when it comes to season three--he did have his moments of showing spark, like in "Raising Shane" or "Snow Day," and heart, like in "Hung Out to Dry." Even if he didn't have the same vigor as he did in s. 1 and 2, he's still, in my eyes, the most passionate, compelling character on the show.

And it's great to see that someone new to show is picking up on this, too. This reviewer sounds cool. :D

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

^^Yeah, he still had his moments, but we can't be blamed for not liking that he suddenly went from a storm to a light breeze. :p

3. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

Well, S1 Danny was background, not-ready-for-prime-time Danny. S3 Danny was take-charge, full-force Danny, ready to meet whatever was coming his way head-on. To be perfectly honest, S1 Danny was Mac's lapdog, only following orders and not doing that particularly well either. S3 Danny was his own man. I don't want TPTB to turn him into a whiny, snot-nosed little bitch who can't think for himself or goes too far off the deep end and becomes someone completely antithetical to the character he's grown into.

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I think S1 and S2 Danny was one of the best written and portrayed characters on network television. In S1 Danny was definitely impulsive and went with what he thought was best rather than what Mac ordered him to do. But I saw him as Mac's protoge and somewhat as the son he never had. S2 we saw Danny mature somewhat, i.e., going to Mac with the DNA evidence in RSRD, but he still had a fire and passion and followed his heart and instincts to a certain extent. For me S3 Danny was a watered down, more generic character than the previous seasons. He was used mainly as a, to use Mr. G's words, "punching-bag" and "prop" for another character and story line. To me TPTB tried to make him someone completely different and pass it off as "maturity." I think it'll be interesting to see where he goes this season.

5. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

Thanks for sharing part of that review, Fay. Looks like even season three Danny has the ability to charm the ladies. I think we were usually hard on him last season because we were so spoiled by his charisma in the first two seasons. The character IS one of the most realistic on TV in that he isn't the flat, cookie cutter character so often written for TV. Glad to hear that even during a down season (in our minds), Carmine is still sexy as hell and able to woo the ladies into watching the show. Go, Carmine! He holds up his end. If only the writers will continue to support him.

6. Partly

Partly Hit and Run

I didn't like Danny much in Season 1, but I agree he was an interesting character and one that you usually don't see on television. However, Season 1 Danny couldn't have lasted very long on the show and the writers knew that, too. I think "On The Job" was masterfully done and took a character that was immature and stupidly impulsive and gave him a real impetus to change.

This lead to Season 2 and a Danny I really loved. He never made me want to slap him in Season 2. He was still impulsive but he wasn't stupidly so. He wasn't as impulsive but he was just as emotional.

Everyone else on the show is very contained: Mac, Stella, Sheldon, Flack... Danny needs to be the emotional spark plug.

7. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

Today I was very happy to find in a Spanish magazine called, erm, Magazine, Carmine's ad. *drools* :devil:

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

:lol: He looks spiffy in that outfit, he really does, but man does he look posed. :p

Anywho, I liked Danny in season one--well, technically, I wasn't a huge fan when I first watched the season because I thought he was a little punk. By the end of the season, though, and once I'd re-watched it from beginning to end, he grew on me. He isn't necessarily a character that everyone will enjoy, but that's good--and I think it's great that so many people liked his passion and impulsiveness and all that.

Season two Danny was pretty much the same, although they made him more 'mature', which I didn't always feel came across as well as it could have. It seemed more like making changes or toning him down without actually proving that it was 'maturity' rather than just changes.

Season three Danny felt so watered down after the passion and intensity of the first two seasons--he had his moments, so I knew it wasn't just that he was 'maturing'--it was like they either had him loud or they muffled him. If it was just him continuing to mature, then why would he have moments that seemed like the 'old' Danny that we knew and loved?

But yeah, I'm hoping season four is a nice balance of Danny growing up and proving that he's an adult and yet still being himself and doing things his way--although he needs people like Mac and Flack to reel him in sometimes. ;)

(But oh, that last part made me think of Aiden. :()

9. Lorelai

Lorelai CSI Level One

I love Danny. Period. But, I must say I loved him more in S1 & S2. I loved his passion, his fire. He was intense, vibrant, rebel, punk, impulsive, tough, fragile, moody, daredevil, scared, kicking, pushing & pulling. Whatever he did, whether he was right or wrong, he was alive. He really had hot blood running through his veins. He wasn't breaking the rules, but he surely bend them! :lol: Just the best character in the show. In S3, sure, he had his moments & his sparks, but I feel that they shove him in the background. They changed him, they cut from his intensity. In S3 Danny Messer just wasn't all that he can be. All that we know that he can be, and we deserve that "animal" back. Danny deserves it. But most of all Carmine deserves it.

Aiden, the many ways I miss thee! All good things come to an end. :(

10. Top41

Season One Danny was passionate and spirited. I didn't really find him to be "Mac's lapdog" because he defied Mac so often. He was desperate for approval from Mac, but he always went about getting it the wrong way. I do agree that the character wouldn't have lasted if he hadn't matured a bit, but I thought the maturing reached it's pinnacle in RSRD. He took the evidence to Mac rather than launching his own investigation. He did the right thing, and even let Flack watch over him when all he probably wanted to do after Louie got beat up was get revenge on Sonny and the Tanglewood gang.

In Season Three, I felt he wasn't his own man at all. As has been mentioned, I felt like he was, as Carmine said, used to prop another character up. That might have been okay if it hadn't turned him into a "punching bag." His most compelling moments were when he drew on a little Season One Danny and questioned the bouncer when Hawkes was framed for murder, and when he was held hostage. While the reviewer who only saw season three wasn't treated to the full Danny appeal, those episodes alone really showcased the character's passion and intensity well.

11. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

I definitely can't see Danny being 'Mac's lapdog' in season one either. Like Top41 said, Danny defied him so much Mac probably had a few mini-strokes without telling anyone. :lol: Lapdog? Try season three Danny who let himself be pushed around and treated like he deserved whatever he got and didn't put up a single fuss to it. That's a lapdog.

But anyways, Danny in season four seems positive so far. Just four episodes in and we already had Danny saving Hawkes' cute ass and him leaping on perps again and him talking about his brother. :D Let us see if this will continue or if he'll backslide back into season three Danny again.

12. tiara4carmine

tiara4carmine Police Officer

Okay, not sure where else to ask this so I'll just post it here.

With Carmine living in the Hollywood Hills, and I have no idea where the rest of the cast live, does anyone know if the raging L.A fires are anywhere near him? I hope not, I saw today on Entertainment Tonight that 24 and NCIS were affected and shut up shop. So I assume that other shows were shut as well.

I hope Carmine's house is okay, and if he needs to evacuate with Mookie I know many of you fangirls will put them both up for awhile. :lol:

I also hope that those of you living in L.A are okay too, so if you do have room for Carmine ... be sure to take lots of photos :devil: :eek: :lol:

13. Top41

So far, none of the fires are near Hollywood Hills, so if that's where Carmine lives, his home should be fine.

As far as I know, the fires are far north, south and west of the Hollywood area. There are a lot of them, though. :( I was watching some of the coverage last night and it seems like every day there's a new fire. They have names, too, just like a hurricane does.

I wonder if NCIS and 24 film up at the Santa Clarita studios. I know there are fires up there. There's so much dry grass up that way. :(

CSI: NY's studio isn't anywhere near the fires, either.

14. tiara4carmine

tiara4carmine Police Officer

From what I know, NCIS does film up there and four cast members live in Valencia, Michael Weatherly is one of them and god I hope no one has lost a house.

I also hope the New York cast and their families and houses are okay.

15. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

If NY was filming in Sylmar, wouldn't they have been affected by the Ranch (Castaic - Angeles Nat'l Forest), Meadowridge (Santa Clarita), Buckweed (Sierra Hwy.) and Magic (Valencia - Magic Mountain) fires, at least the smoke involved? :confused: It couldn't have been healthy or conducive to getting the job done, or adequate outdoor scenes. My ex (boyfriend) lives out there, and he said it was black as sin.