Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Thread

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by MrsGiovinazzo, Dec 28, 2006.

1. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

Re: Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Threa

I'm sorry, I have to bend a little NLRT rule for a second and just say, "Flack is pretty cute sometimes!" :lol: He is horribly long winded. I won't say that I don't like it, because I do love the well thought out answers he gives but seriously, I think it takes me longer to read it and absorb it, than it takes to say.

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^If it took you a long time to read, imagine how long it took me to type! :p And yeah, he goes on a bit, but believe me, that makes for a great interview. I hate getting a few word or even a sentence or two answers.

I'm glad you guys liked the interview! And yeah, I think he's hopeful about season four being more oriented on Danny alone, rather than as part of a pairing. My fingers are crossed, too. ;)

And NLRT alert? What's that? But yep, "Flack is pretty cute sometimes!" ;) :D

3. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

:lol: You poor thing, have your fingers recovered yet?

I couldn't agree more. With long answers you get a much better idea of their personality; how they think, how they express themselves etc. rather than just short answers which anyone could give...

Really, really liked it Top, thank-you so very much. And fingers and toes crossed for a new super-improved Danny next series :D

4. gypsy

gypsy Police Officer

Great interview. Can't wait to for season four. I am a big fan of D/L, but He obviously feels down on that story line. Fingers crossed it gets better for him in season four.

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I went on and on in the thread for the interview, but I should take part in the conversation in here as well. ;)

It was a fantastic interview! More about D/L than I would have liked considering my position on the matter, but he had some good insight into things.

I have to say, I found it interesting that he seemed to agree with a lot of the things that we've discussed before, especially with regards to the way his character faded in season 3.

I feel for your fingers, Kristine--I hate watching little videos and transcribing a few quotes, so I can imagine that transcribing a whole interview is time-consuming. *huggles* Plus, we Americans have shitty speech patterns or something--I'm sure he would have made a lot more sense if we could hear him speaking, but I imagine that writing it down so that it made sense was more difficult. :lol:

If Carmine reads TalkCSI from time to time, as the interview suggested, I hope we get stuff in season 4 that gives us something more positive to say about his character. :)

So, how did you guys feel about what Carmine said about Danny's relationships with Mac and Flack? Those were very interesting parts. :D

6. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

I honestly kind of feel bad sometimes when I have nothing nice to say about Danny after an episode. It's NOT Carmine's fault at all, because he always gives 110%, and I appreciate that. It's the situations they put Danny in and how he handles them. I'm not shy about the way I feel about Danny/Lindsay--I dislike it. A lot. I can't come in here and pretend that I do like it. He can do better and Danny shouldn't be used as Lindsay's Character Building Crutch. Let her identify herself on her own, just like every other character had to do.

That said, I'm glad Danny's looking out for other romantic options. IE: Flack. (Carmine, you will NEVER live this one down. Nobody will ever forget that you said that Flack is pretty cute sometimes. Never. :D)

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Exactly. I'm well-aware that I don't have many great things to say about Danny lately, and I'm hoping that will change. I still love the character, but I'm not going to blow smoke up his ass--if it sucks, I'm going to say it. And there's been a lot that sucked to me recently. Like I said, I'm definitely hoping for better stuff next season.

Danny should absolutely be more than Lindsay's crutch--did the development for any of the other characters rely on them being dragged up by another main character? Hell, even the bit of development we got for Adam was organic and just came from the episode--Lindsay should be no different.

I'm waiting to see how many of us put that 'cute' comment in our signatures. I need to run in and change mine. :p

8. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

I'm just so happy that Carmine agrees and wants Danny to be back to his original, passionate self. That is, well, hot. :lol: Danny passion + nice, tight shirts + nekkidy scene in shower _ no more D/L angsting and crutch-holding = We happy fangirls for season four. :devil: Hey, he even admitted that Peter Lenkov (God bless his soul) goes up to him and tells him what we say about him! :eek: :lol: "I'm the whore of the show!"? Awww, Carmine, that's not true. The word is manbuns, maaaaanbuuuuuuns. :devil:

His answers about D/L bothered me a little, particularly that Danny was used (and not in the nice way at all) to define Lindsay. It actually got me mad that the writers made his character go through all that @#$% throughout the season when they could have so thought up of something better for both Danny and Lindsay. I totally do not get the writer's reasoning with Danny needing to be used for the sake of 'defining' Lindsay. Take a look at Ryan Wolfe on CSI:Miami. He came into the show in, what, season three? The writers for CSI:Miami never had to resort to immediately pairing him up with one of the main female cast members to integrate him, so why did it happen with CSI:NY? Me thinks there was a deeper issue that forced the writers to go that way.

And I'll be honest, it surprised me that he visits the forums and reads what we say. If he's hasn't gone screaming his head at some of the things we say ... yeah, he's a real man. :lol: ;)

:lol: Hey, that line of his made me love him a million times more (and not because of my favorite ship, mind you). Most guys won't even dare to think something like that, much less say it. Yeah, men who are confident are sexy. *on a Carmine-high right now* :devil:

9. Top41

Oh, I think whore works, too. :lol: I love it that the babe on this show is not a woman, but a man. They can whore him out all they want. :cool: :lol:

I've got to say--and this is no insult to Carmine because I think his analysis is spot on--but as a woman I find it insulting that a new female character was introduced and immediately put into the love interest category. I can't even say it was just NY, because Miami did it too with Natalia Boa Vista (though, as you point out Kimmy, it wasn't done with Ryan Wolfe). But Miami moved away from that for Natalia this season--to the character's benefit IMO--while NY delved in head first. I do think part of the problem is the way the dark secret storyline was fumbled by both Anna and the writers, but I gotta say, as a woman I'm a little offended that new female characters seem to need proping up in a way the men don't. WTF???

He's a brave man indeed. :lol:

That was beyond...well, cute! :D And no, I doubt he'll ever live that one down. I think that quote is going to live for a long, long time in the sigs of BBSers... :lol: :D

10. Danistheman

Danistheman Prime Suspect

What an eye-opener that interview was - REALLY interesting to hear Mr G's take things!!! I was NEVER convinced that Danny was leaning forward to kiss Lindsay at the end of SOOH, I always felt that he was sort of saying 'Whoah, there...', and IMHO that's exactly how Mr G saw it and played it 'It seemed like I was looking at her going, "Look I'm here for you, I came here because you're in trouble & I came here coz I care, but not more than that." ' :D :D To me, the very detailed answers show what a passionate actor Mr G is, and they give me some hope that the D/L ship may sink :p

11. Lonia

Lonia Witness

That really was a fantastic interview! It's great to hear Carmine's view of the things that happened in season three! Although I haven't seen much of season three so far I read a lot about it here! So I am sure that I also will miss the old passionate Danny we have seen in season 1 and 2. So it's nice to read that also Carmine wants to see a bit more of the old Danny again which gives us really hope for season 4! Now just let the writers write something really good for him.

About the D/L thing, I am really not a shipper - but I'm also not totally against it. It's more an "I don't care" thing for me. Although I believe that there would have been better possibilities for an relationship than these two.And no: I am not a D/F shipper - in fact I don't really ship at all. But Carmine's sentece about "flack being pretty cute sometimes" is - eh, well, cute! But back to D/L. What I really don't like (and I have seen some clips about those scenes) is the way they handle it. So I'm interested to know how (hopefully) they change things next season. Carmine's words about what might happen next season (He's doing things young men do, maybe she wasn't all Danny thought she would be) gives some space for speculations!

12. Top41

I think the "maybe she wasn't all Danny thought she'd be" is the most telling sentence there. Here he's gone out of his way for her countless times--and if she continues to do squat for him, maybe he's going to realize he could do better and pull away and/or look elsewhere.

13. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

What a great interview! *hugs Top*

It was a real pleasure to read it. The man not only has the looks but also the brain, which thankfully seems to work perfectly fine. I couldn't help grinning most of the time.

I loved when he was talking about his character and the reasons why Danny's been kind of pushed in the background this past season. He was also honest, stating that the relationship with Lindsay was created as a way to define her and that he has to follow orders taking this or that direction whether he likes it or not. I mean, how can you not appreciate the man's effort to make his character's actions realistic?

I also had to smile when he mentioned the courtroom scene because yeah, that scene bugged me too for a long time. Kudos to the man for even trying to talk to the writers about it. :)

Also, he gave a great insight on Danny, it was fascinating to read how he sees him and the plans he has for him next season.

This said, I'm excited Louie's not dead and/or forgotten and I'm looking forward to watching him in a storyline next season. Carmine even went as far as suggesting something related to this S3's finale and you know what, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all to have those Irish guys come back to haunt Danny again.

This interview has definitely restored my faith in the show and my favourite character so thanks again, Top! :D

14. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

It was totally eye-opening to me that he admitted that both he and the writers read our comments from time to time. Then I thought back to some of the things that I've written and giggled (not talking about the bodice-ripper comments so much as the character commentary). I do hope that he realizes that good fans are the ones who don't just swallow what is given to us. As Faylinn said over IM yesterday: We're good fans, but we aren't going to blow smoke up his ass.

We're good fans because we critique when it is due and will liberally hand out the praise if necessary. Unfortunately, this past season hasn't been one where we took to the board to expound on the virtues of Danny's greatness. At any rate, I was glad for his frank assessment of the direction that his character took this season, and hope that he gets what he wishes for in season 4.

15. Top41

Thank you! :) I'm glad you liked it. :cool:

Exactly. I appreciate that he open about why the relationship was taken forward the way it was, and what it did for her character. It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here, because really, if she can't stand on her own, she is a pretty useless character. And Danny is just the opposite, so I hope the fourth season we'll get more stories that focus on him alone.