Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Thread

Re: Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Threa

Yeah it's definitely approval that he wants. You saw how Mac's words hit him like a sledge hammer at the end of On The Job. I don't think it was the fact he was off the promotion ladder but the fact that Mac was so short and abrupt with him. Season 2 Danny seemed so much more in control and maturer in his work. He second guessed himself alot more and took his time and effort with the evidence.

There was a point when I saw their relationship as almost Oedipal in nature but there seemed to come a turning point in RSRD, though given their juxtaposing personalities I’m not sure that the understanding they’ve reached could ever be permanent. Danny desperately desires Mac’s approval and Mac has high expectations of Danny, he has high expectations of everyone, but Danny has caught his attention more than most. Perhaps, he thinks without a firm guiding often-angry hand Danny won’t reach his potential.

The end of OTJ when Mac told Danny he’d been told not to hire him was a particularly cruel moment in my mind, beyond tough love, cruel love. Even knowing that Mac was lashing out in anger and disappointment the scene was classic parent-child conflict, the parent forgets what it once was to feel like they aren't being heard. When Danny "disobeyed" Mac I think that was the cause, Danny was simply attempting to say look at me, listen to me, tell me everything is going to be fine, tell me you believe me.

Mac’s words were a shot that sent a message, a sort of I hired you against advice and of you I expect great things don’t you ever disappoint me again. Quite a bit to heap on the head of someone so emotionally delicate, someone that lives by the gut and heart, but Danny being Danny reacted first in a demanding way wanting to know the person that had secretly condemned him until Mac slapped him down and Danny retreated into himself and his own dark thoughts. Danny in response shaped up, partially from the writer’s chaining the character by leaving his development up to a burgeoning love triangle. There is no doubt a great effort on Danny’s part went into earning Mac’s trust, approval and respect once again.

Honestly, I think that despite Danny’s best efforts their relationship is doomed to occasional bouts of acrimony and contention. I actually enjoy those difficult moments between the two. Carmine’s facial expressions are priceless and illuminate the character in scenes with Gary. The two of them can say so much with silence, the ability is a gift not just to the actors but also for the viewers.

I hope conflict happens soon because the conflict between them is fantastic to watch. Sinese comes alive when he plays off Carmine and I admit that while Mac was not and is not my favourtie character when he smoked cigarette after cigarette in RSRD I thought it was brilliant a truly unforgettable moment and again one of those quiet moments that allows the viewer a deeper view of the character.

I will say that when the moment of contention arises I hope that it relates to Danny’s back story and keeps all the love triangles, romances, fauxmances, sexual tension, etc. far far away from at least that aspect of the character.

JDonne I swear your posts are amazing!!
I absolutely love when Danny and Mac butt heads and I would give my worldly goods to see this more instead of silly high school romances.
It's amazing how much Gary and Carmine can bring a scene alive when the two of them are together and I hope there are plenty more to come in the future. I still cry at Danny breaking down in Mac's arms and as much as I am a Danny/Flack fan I wouldn't want that scene to be portrayed in any other way. Mac really opened my eyes in that episode and always said he would protect the integrity of the lab. He knew how hard it was for Danny to come into the office and admit the DNA was his and that Louie was a Tanglewood boy and for Danny to admit that, Mac showed faith and trust in Danny being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Although Louie saved Danny, I think Mac was his saviour that day!

JDonne said:
The end of OTJ when Mac told Danny he’d been told not to hire him was a particularly cruel moment in my mind, beyond tough love, cruel love. Even knowing that Mac was lashing out in anger and disappointment the scene was classic parent-child conflict, the parent forgets what it once was to feel like they aren't being heard. When Danny "disobeyed" Mac I think that was the cause, Danny was simply attempting to say look at me, listen to me, tell me everything is going to be fine, tell me you believe me.

Mac’s words were a shot that sent a message, a sort of I hired you against advice and of you I expect great things don’t you ever disappoint me again.

Quite a bit to heap on the head of someone so emotionally delicate, someone that lives by the gut and heart, but Danny being Danny reacted first in a demanding way wanting to know the person that had secretly condemned him until Mac slapped him down and Danny retreated into himself and his own dark thoughts.
Perfect explanation of the situation. Mac did deliver a nasty shot. A low blow. And that Danny reacted by immediately wanting to know who it was that was badmouthing him showed that the shot injured him somewhat. He was hurt. That scene was a brilliant piece of writing. But Carmine's delivery made it so recognizable. So very human nature ... something I could really relate to.

I love that Danny lives by his gut and his heart. And that his skin doesn't hide it. The more I dwell on that the more I see what an absolutely phenomenal job Carmine has done of bringing Danny to life. An entire, complex, meshed human being. Gut and heart, living with the soul close to the surface, the nervous energy that goes along with that, the intelligence, enquiring mind ...

I highly identify with the character. And if I (or others) can see myself in a character, in it's complexity, then the actor who has created the character has done an incredible job breathing life into it.

Honestly, I think that despite Danny’s best efforts their relationship is doomed to occasional bouts of acrimony and contention. I actually enjoy those difficult moments between the two. Carmine’s facial expressions are priceless and illuminate the character in scenes with Gary. The two of them can say so much with silence, the ability is a gift not just to the actors but also for the viewers.

I hope conflict happens soon because the conflict between them is fantastic to watch.
In total agreeance. It was that conflict between the two characters which initially intrigued me enough to be hooked into this series in a way I have never been by any other television series.

Honestly, I had even wondered if that moment in The Ride In where Danny stops when he sees Mac, seems to pause and catch his breath before he went to talk to him was due to their 'relationship' as we are discussing it. My interpretation of it could very well be just wishful thinking .. wanting their relationship and what has gone before ackowledged and revisited. But then I saw a theory posited elsewhere that Danny was wanting to ask Mac about Lindsay. Personally, I prefer my theory but I guess I'll never really know
smiley-nlr.gif

Mac's cruelty to Danny in 'On the Job' crossed a line in my book, and I wish we'd seen that storyline get played out more. We saw poor, earnest Danny asking Mac about the psych test at the end of 'What You See...' but that was it. We never got to find out what was in that psych test, a big mistake in my book after it was so built up. I suspect that it would have been very telling--Danny has always seemed damaged to me, and that's been consistant throughout, from his desperate attempts to seek Mac's approval in season one to his pursuing a woman who mistreats him in season three. Danny sets himself up to be hurt and victimized, and others take advantage of that. Mac knew his comment in OTJ would wound Danny and Lindsay knew she could manipulate Danny into delivering the bad news to the mother in 'Oedipus Hex.'

I'd love to see a return to Mac and Danny's rocky relationship--as others have mentioned, Carmine and Gary were brilliant at playing it, and both really seemed to enjoy it. And it would be a hell of a lot better than seeing Danny get himself into an emotionally abusive relationship.

I agree with you guys! I always want to know what Chief Hilbourne says on the phone to Mac when Danny is in the office at the end of OTJ. Mac kinda slams his gun down as if to say you don't deserve this back and then then phone goes.
It seems like a couple of authoritive officers seem to have a problem with Danny, Chief Hillbourne and also the Chief in Raising Shane. Didn't he mention something about Mac hiring CSI's with a tendency to commit felonies. Was Danny's meant to hint at OTJ and RSRD or something else.
It's odd in a sense cos Danny puts his heart and soul into the cases and is dedicated 100% but the minute a mistake happens his fault or not, everyone is on his back.

Top41 said:
Mac's cruelty to Danny in 'On the Job' crossed a line in my book, and I wish we'd seen that storyline get played out more. We saw poor, earnest Danny asking Mac about the psych test at the end of 'What You See...' but that was it. We never got to find out what was in that psych test, a big mistake in my book after it was so built up. I suspect that it would have been very telling.
That was a tease. Why bother to make an issue of the psych evaluation if we're never going to learn the outcome? Revealing all that makes the mysterious Messer tick might spoil the fun, but for the sake of continuity it would be nice if occassional tidbits came out of that.

I'd love to see a return to Mac and Danny's rocky relationship--as others have mentioned, Carmine and Gary were brilliant at playing it, and both really seemed to enjoy it. And it would be a hell of a lot better than seeing Danny get himself into an emotionally abusive relationship.
Agreed. Carmine and Gary have great chemistry, a fascinating relationship between their characters and unresolved tension that just dissipated without explanation. I would far rather see their relationship explored than watch Danny pursue something utterly lacking in spark or depth. This D/L crap is so surface level. Danny and Mac have a far more interesting dynamic.

ok so sorry this may have been asked/answered somewhere but i cant seem to find it. i know that carmines artwork has been showcased on csi:ny but i cant remember which episode. can anyone help refresh my memory? thanks a bunch! :D

Carmine's artwork is in the episode Tri-Borough. It is episode 11 of season 1. The actual painting is featured when Danny is making a comment about why they have not been sold. I think the painting is called Sister, Tight.

That was a tease. Why bother to make an issue of the psych evaluation if we're never going to learn the outcome? Revealing all that makes the mysterious Messer tick might spoil the fun, but for the sake of continuity it would be nice if occassional tidbits came out of that.

Agreed, MrsG. I keep waiting for the info Danny provided to IAB to come back and bite him in the butt, or for him to be called in to work as an IAB snitch. Knowing his character the way we do, I really don't think he could do that though, unless they had him over a barrel. I pretty much think the proverbial "barrel" was his DNA-laden cigarette from the stadium.

MrsGiovinazzo said:

That really pissed me off, never finding out what was in that psych evaluation. It was kind of a cliffhanger-type thing, or at least a segway into the next season, much like Hawkes' petition to work in the field. The fact that it was just dropped sucks. I'd love to know what was in it.

Agreed. Carmine and Gary have great chemistry, a fascinating relationship between their characters and unresolved tension that just dissipated without explanation. I would far rather see their relationship explored than watch Danny pursue something utterly lacking in spark or depth. This D/L crap is so surface level. Danny and Mac have a far more interesting dynamic.

Ditto. That was leagues ahead of the juvenile relationship unfolding between Danny and Lindsay. Not to mention, Carmine really rose to the occasion when acting opposite Gary, as opposed to being dragged down by Anna's limitations as an actress. :(

Top41 said:
Carmine really rose to the occasion when acting opposite Gary, as opposed to being dragged down by Anna's limitations as an actress. :(
Exactly! Carmine's strengths are many, while his weakness is just one and it's a shame the writers have chosen to exploit the one weakness in his work this season. Carmine absolutely shines when playing off anyone else, but when paired with someone as lackluster as Anna, his brilliance dims. Bring back the Danny and Mac drama, damn it!!! I can't believe that Mac was on the verge of firing Danny and then all the tension just magically disappeared one day.

MrsGiovinazzo said:
Exactly! Carmine's strengths are many, while his weakness is just one and it's a shame the writers have chosen to exploit the one weakness in his work this season. Carmine absolutely shines when playing off anyone else, but when paired with someone as lackluster as Anna, his brilliance dims. Bring back the Danny and Mac drama, damn it!!! I can't believe that Mac was on the verge of firing Danny and then all the tension just magically disappeared one day.
I've stupidly held out hope that they might pick up on this again. But after tonight (still today here but I'm stupid enough to have read the grading thread) I have lost all confidence in the writers. They might READ the board, but they sure as hell aren't interested in listening in anything anyone who can string a few sentences together can say. I'm ready to start throwing tomatoes. Old stinky squishy ones. :mad: :mad:

Back